Am I a Competitive Applicant?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Eli in Rapid City, South Dakota

17 months ago

Hello, my name is Eli and would like to know whether or not I am a competitive applicant from Occupational Therapists. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science with a 3.59 GPA. My major was psychology, and minor biology. My prerequisite GPA ranges around 3.5 to 3.55, depending upon the graduate program. I have yet to take the GREs. Two of the schools I am looking at don't require them. I am slightly concerned about what I would score in the math section, as I was a nontraditional student and didn't practice algebra or geometry for years.

I have 564 hours of working directly with the developmentally disabled. I was a direct support professional, and assisted clients with ADLs and implemented "supports" to increase independency and to facilitate community inclusion. I also administered medications under a nurse's license. I have worked with clients who were diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Down Syndrome, and Willi Prader Syndrome. I have had CPR training (which I plan to renew), Crisis Prevention Intervention training, and HIPAA training.

I was a statistics tutor, and helped gather data for research on special olympics athletes. I volunteered for the Special Olympics for approximately 20-24 hours (this is undocumented however). I also volunteered for the Veterans' Affairs Health Administration for approximately 60 hours (this is also undocumented).

The Head Administrator of my school (who is also a neurobiologist), and a psychologist (who has owned her own private practice for many years) are willing to write letters of recommendation for me.

I have spent 9 months in a wheel chair, and have personally experienced a loss of independence due to physical disability. This is essentially when I first learned about occupational therapy. My experience of being disabled was partly traumatic. Being a college student, I could not afford the medicalhelp that I needed, and so had to rely on family who were not prepared for my needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eli in Rapid City, South Dakota

17 months ago

I did not only recieve help, but did not receive much compassion and felt that I was a burden to my family. When I did see doctors, they were of little help. In the end, I regained my ability to ambulate on my own. My experience has taught me the importance of independency, compassion, and human value, which is what drew me into the field of occupational therapy. More importantly, I feel that I have talents and skills that would contribute to the field greatly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lo in Laguna Hills, California

17 months ago

yes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

youngbrOT in Jersey City, New Jersey

16 months ago

Yes, you are competitive( make sure to write about your experience about being disabled in your essay, and make it a stellar one). Is it possible to get documentation for your hours at volunteering for special olympics and veteran affairs? I think those experiences will help you greatly stand out, but you need proof to show them that you did that. Other than that, I think you have a pretty good shot. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.