COTA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 55)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Genius in Oak Park, Michigan

59 months ago

Why do you need to have associates level training to be a COTA, couldn't you just be trained on the job if you have some direct care experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Hello.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lagunie in Laguna Niguel, California

59 months ago

Genius in Oak Park, Michigan said: Hello.

Well, genius, in order to be licensed, you need an associate's degree. In reality, you could learn all you need to know in an hour or two, but for the legalities, a degree is required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

OTnot4me in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

Good question.

I am trying to think what you would really have to learn. It takes a while to learn to fasten those self sticky diapers. At first I diapered wrong and got leaks. Now after a few thousand I am an expert. And it took me a while to figure out how to put those foot rests on the wheel chairs. I still don't know how to adjust the leg height of the wheelchairs.

And you have to learn to flush the toilet before you look so as not to gag. And pull up the pants without getting the butt in your face.

Oh and how to pick up the dirty disease filled theraputty that everyone uses without getting the disease yourself.

None of this is learned in school, COTA or OTR school though.
All is just learned by trial and error. I went to OT school but don't think they taught anything useful that I can remember.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Well I would like to work as one while I am pursuing my masters in Occupational Therpy. But I'm not sure how I can do that. I know a girl in my class had a degree in health sciences and is now working as an OTA for a major hospital. So.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

No they definetly work as an Occupational Therapist Assistant, that is their title and they perform therapuetic exercises with clients. I don't believe that all OT jobs require you to function as a cna and if it did to do a cna's job for 4x the money is not too bad. I have had years of direct care experience and I know many people who work in the field. It seems as though those who don't understand what they are doing and who can't explain it to others have the hardest time with job satisfaction and become burned out quickly. Those who understand their role and can maximize on it are quite happy, because they are consistently making a difference in the lives of individuals who need it. If you went to school for 5+ years to work in a job you had no idea about you are officially an idiot! I understand exactly what an OT does and I plan to work exclusively in neuro-development. I will not let the incompetence of some change my course in life. You would be miserable as a surgeon, teacher, nurse or anything because you would have gone into the field thinking of what you heard about it and forget surgeons stand on their feet for hours in surgery and their patients are often ungrateful and complaining. Teachers deal with rowdy children and irritated parents and low pay. Nurses deal with cleaning up messes and answer the calls of needy patients. There is a spin for you, for every job there is a negative. Some feel overworked and disrespected, while others feel happy and fulfilled. You can not get around it, but you can do your research and shadow, or just change positions...I mean damn, are you a fool or what? By the way, thank you for your response it was much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

OTdude in Piscataway, New Jersey

58 months ago

Oh no, its Jillian....again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Grow up? You are truly delusional. As an adult, I would be to busy working on another degree or working towards finding a satisfying subspeciality in the field that I have CHOSEN to get into. I would NOT warn hopefuls of an impending doom if they decided to go into a field that is built on servicing individuals in need. Where I complain because I have to wipe someone's butt or watch someone toilet, instead of choosing a position that doesn't involve that, I sit and sulk and hate life because I am too lazy to simply make another choice. That is why I say its foolish. You would have to have no sense at all to stay somewhere that you are unhappy and spread the negativity to others. I mean give me a break. The grammer lessons are much appreciated, but not relevant to this discussion. Offer productive and inspiring advice....If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything AT ALL! EVER! Until you can find a nicer and more tactful way to present your argument, just be quiet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Genius you say you want to work exclusively in neuro-development. What the heck do you mean by that? Do you even know what that is. You have no idea what that is and where that job is. Because there is no such thing. Hate to say this but you are no genius. Probably the closest is working with people with strokes and dementia or anyone with any brain disease. That is what you get in an SNF and whoops in the OT world that means toilet training and dressing. Sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Yes, I understand what neurodevelopment is, and what I meant by that was traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, and individuals with neurological disorders. Just because you assume I don't know what I'm talking about, does not mean that I don't know what I'm talking about. I completely understand the role and I know that not all positions are in SNF's and involve toilet observations. Get out of the BOX you placed yourself in there is a whole world of opportunity in OT. By the way, sometimes an outward observer can give more insight to a situation as oppossed to those in the muck of it. And you don't have to be sorry Surfer for replying, there is nothing wrong with the dialogue, I just disagree with what you all are saying. I just don't understand the need to be negative toward your own profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lovely in Oak Park, Michigan

58 months ago

Occupational Therapy: Fact Sheets and Articles
Occupational therapy is a science-driven, evidence-based profession that enables people of all ages to live life to its fullest by helping them promote health and prevent—or live better with—illness, injury or disability.

The occupational therapist enters the field with a master's or doctoral degree. The occupational therapy assistant generally earns an associate degree.

Practitioners must complete supervised clinical internships in a variety of health care settings, and pass a national examination. Most states also regulate occupational therapy practice.

In today's health care and social landscape, occupational therapy practitioners can be found in the six broad areas of practice listed below. For more information, see the fact sheets and articles that illustrate occupational therapy in action.

Mental Health
Productive Aging
Children and Youth
Health and Wellness
Work and Industry
Rehabilitation, Disability, and Participation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OT Loather in Mauldin, South Carolina

58 months ago

Amen surfer girl. OT sucks. BTW Jillian, are you doing OT in CALI or something else. I'm a COTA and it blows. I've been doing it for 6 months and I feel like jumping off a bridge b/c it's so lame. I hope you're doing something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

I have made a decision to quit as soon as possible. I am scared about not making money but know somehow I will find the way. So many people in OT are misrable unless they are the lucky ones who are just too stupid to know any better. Why spend your life in agony over making money that ultimately will kill you? And if OT doesn't kill you it sure robs you of a normal life. I wish all the others that are trying to find a life after OT good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

You act like its a prison sentence, it is a career field. Are you crazy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Funny. I often tell people I feel like I am in prison and only get parole on the weekend. I am not the only one that feels that way by the way. It is like the work is so degrading that you are in prison. Can't explain unless you have been there done that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do in a typical day as a OT? What are you colleagues view of you? How many occupational therapist work within your organization? What type of organzation do you work in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol

58 months ago

Surfer girl: She asked a simple question. Why the personal insults? Have some integrity! If anything your the one who sounds young, immature and unprofessional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

STEEL MAN in Orlando, Florida

58 months ago

Hello guys!
I'm new to this forum. I will be getting ready to start OTA school in May 2010. I just had a couple questions about this field. How much do you all make? I know it depends on the location and setting but if anyone knows or happens to work in FL, I would appreciate it. Do traveling COTAs make more than a COTA working in SNF? If I decide to work in a SNF, do most of them offer benefits like health insurance? Also as a male, I know that this is a female dominated profession, and should I expect to be treated differently? I have read good and bad about OT in this forum but you will find that in any career field. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Steel Man,

Let me tell you, once Sufer Girl and her crew of spell checkers get a wift of your post you will be beraded with a number of insults about the occupational therapy profession. They will tell you it is horrible, pointless, unscientific, lacks personal and intellectual growth, and is only in place as long as reimbursement is available. I'm sure they will add more because they are itching in their "I hate Occupational Therapy" shirts to save you from the "biggest mistake of your life"...blah, blah ,blah....So while they tell you all of this as they drink from their "ADLS are for losers" mugs, just remember your careeer choice is your own and what you make of it is up to you. There are always people who wish they are more than what they are, to only realize they are just who they are and nothing more. PA's want the level of respect of a doctor after two years of graduate school. Nurses want the respect of a doctor after maintaining a patient for hours. Respiratory Therapist want the respect of nurses after sweeping in and out of emergency and beside care situations. Occupational Therapist want the respect of PTs after a master's degree in activities of daily living. PTs want the respect of doctors after basically doing strength training. MDs want to rule the world but realize they can't because their to stupid and need the support of other care givers to maintain. Everyone fit in your role, do it the best you can and shut up about it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Lovely in Oak Park, Michigan said: If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do in a typical day as a OT? What are you colleagues view of you? How many occupational therapist work within your organization? What type of organzation do you work in?

1. I also spend the day planning my escape. To pass the time in this prison (AKA OT torture chamber, AKA nursing home, AKA SNF), I make a little money by taking the less fortunate sick that are locked up to the toilet and help them get dressed. I bring them down to the prison gym and use really old disease ridden equipment to have them exercise for hours until they drop. The big prison wardens then bill the government for me to help those poor folks. The government taxes the people and it makes some big shot somewhere real happy and buys them a big house and probably a yacht and other fancy stuff. If they are not making enough money that day they get the wardens (AKA rehab director) to bring the whip out and beat you until you make them more money. They get themselves real good health insurance so they do not have to check into this place when they get sick. I don't know what they do with their old parents. But they would NEVER check their old sick mamas into one of their places. I guarantee you that.

I hope this answers your question. If you have anymore I would be more than happy to respond. I was as truthful as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Surfer girl said: Just fyi,, when writing the contraction for "you are," it's "you're" not "your" - common mistake found in the OT world of writing.

I knew that was coming. Jill-Jill you u get very defensive at times, even when it is not called for.

58 months ago

Lovely in Oak Park, Michigan said: Steel Man,

Let me tell you, once Sufer Girl and her crew of spell checkers get a wift of your post you will be beraded with a number of insults about the occupational therapy profession. They will tell you it is horrible, pointless, unscientific, lacks personal and intellectual growth, and is only in place as long as reimbursement is available. I'm sure they will add more because they are itching in their "I hate Occupational Therapy" shirts to save you from the "biggest mistake of your life"...blah, blah ,blah....So while they tell you all of this as they drink from their "ADLS are for losers" mugs, just remember your careeer choice is your own and what you make of it is up to you. There are always people who wish they are more than what they are, to only realize they are just who they are and nothing more. PA's want the level of respect of a doctor after two years of graduate school. Nurses want the respect of a doctor after maintaining a patient for hours. Respiratory Therapist want the respect of nurses after sweeping in and out of emergency and beside care situations. Occupational Therapist want the respect of PTs after a master's degree in activities of daily living. PTs want the respect of doctors after basically doing strength training. MDs want to rule the world but realize they can't because their to stupid and need the support of other care givers to maintain. Everyone fit in your role, do it the best you can and shut up about it!

That pretty much sums up life in healthcare....especially at a SNF. Good job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Actually they think I'm lovely! And other professions have the same complaints, everyone has complaints. There will always be someone who feels fulfilled and enjoys their job and their life and there will be some who hate their job and their life, i.e. Surfer Girl. And you indicating it may be rude to say shut up and do your job, when you are consistently rude and condescending to anyone who actually enjoys "Occupational Therapy" is just ridiculous. That is my opinion, I hate complainers end of story. There is so much in life to enjoy to complain and not change is crazy talk. You talk crazy Sufer Girl!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

It is your opinion that occupational therapy or Occupational Therapy which ever way it is written in the context of this forum conversation, is not being properly used to provide the maximum benefit for the patient being serviced. You believe because I am not in the field I have no idea about how inadequate the care provided under the scope of OT is. That is your opinion, but my opinion is this, knowing OTs, reading about OT, taking OT classes, and actually practicing direct care I feel as though I am making a choice that I will enjoy. Not because I am brainless or naive, but because I would enjoy working with patients/consumers on ways to help them engage in daily activities in order for them to get back to their lives after an accident or medical condition. I believe that it is helpful in recovery to be able to engage in the things you have always been able to do, it helps them be active and the service that occupational therapy provides is great at offering support and guidance. It will overlap into other fields and it is broad because of the scope of practice, i.e. adls, but nonetheless it is a neccessary field and it is a benefit to those who are able to recieve occupational therapy services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

STEEL MAN in Orlando, Florida

58 months ago

Surfer girl,
Thanks for your reply. The website was a big help. Yes, money right now is my top priority. I just had a newborn and I decided to go this route to generate more income for my young family. I work for JetBlue Airways making $16/hr, and that isn't cutting it. I would like for my wife to stay home so we don't have to leave our baby with babysitters or daycare. This is a crazy world full of psychos and pedophiles. We both are not from here in Orlando so no family support. I see that Florida has a high demand for COTAs because of the baby boomers so hopefully this will be a stable field in the future. I spoke with a OTA student I met while at the school and he told me that a friend of his who just graduated was offered a job making $37/hr. I didn't know enough about the field to ask him if it was a travel job or at a permanent SNF. Either way, money is the top priority right now for me. I have always been the kind of person who puts family before myself. I will gladly be a "glorified CNA" to make sure my family is financially secure. I am just thankful that I have a chance to make good money for such little schooling. I will definitely keep those 2 travel companies you mentioned in mind. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

uwholaura in Monroe, Ohio

58 months ago

Surfer girl,
Are you or was you an OT or COTA? I just entered the program after waiting for 2 years (and fulfilling all of my prerequisites). Up until the orientation, I felt very sure about what I was doing and that it was right for me. I love people and want to be more involved in direct care. After going to the orientation, seeing all the practice areas and pictures of the places I will be visiting for my clinicals, I just didn't seem really sure if this was something where what I was doing would be something of real "value" and help to others. Of course, health care reform and the changes it may bring to the profession is also a concern, as well. At this point, I almost feel stuck. I have been an Admin. Asst. for 15 years, I am 34 with two young girls and I want to provide better for them. Every other health care field I have checked into has a very long waiting list. When I read these blogs, it makes me even more uncertain as to what I should do. . . :-(

frumusica in Apison, Tennessee

58 months ago

lagunie in Laguna Niguel, California said: Well, genius, in order to be licensed, you need an associate's degree. In reality, you could learn all you need to know in an hour or two, but for the legalities, a degree is required.

Do any of you know what you're talking about?
Do more research to satisfy that curiosity. You might be surprised by the knowledge, so watch out...
an OTA

Hopefully soon to be COTA in Sacramento

58 months ago

Hi,

Well I have read a lot of the posts and I must say that I am just in shock. They way a lot of you are acting on here is a damn shame! This is suppose to be a "forum", not a place to put people down.

I am taking my prereqs that are needed to enter the OTA program here at Sac City College and I would like to know if there is anyone in my area that has gone through the program and has had any luck with finding employment. I am thinking about traveling or working in a SNF when I get out of school. Any HELP or ADVICE would be much appreciated. If you have anything else to say that is NOT beneficial and or POSITIVE, please do not waste my time or yours.

Good day and good luck.....

58 months ago

Surfer Girl in Simi Valley, California said: Sorry, but, you have no idea what's waiting for you when you enter OT world. Are you not even concerned about being expected to have 150 percent plus productivity - if you know what that means. That's impossible and unethical but required. So, you'll be forced to do fraudulent billing and ripping off the system to satisfy the corporates who hire you and pay your big paycheck. So, you might want to wise up now and take some advice from those who've been there/done that and not think that you know it all - 'cuz you don't and foolish to think that you do.

But, sounds like you'll be perfect for OT world with your "you can't tell me anything" attitude. Try growing up for a minute and then research a real career.

Surger Girl in Simi....

I thank you for your response but you don't have to be so dang rude. I do appreciate your honesty in telling me that the OT field is not what it is cracked up to be though. I really don't think I have a "you can't tell me anything attitude" when I posted. I was just wanting some advice instead of a lot of negative. I do know that there are always pros and cons to a career and I guess I just need to keep checking into the OT field before I really make a decision. My 1st chice is to be an RN but the schools are so impacted and I was just looking for someting in the meantime, not really wanting to do this for a lifetime. lol :)

Thank you and sorry if you felt as if I was not listening to you. I do believe I am a little clueless in regards to this field but I am not foolish in making decisions.

Take care..... :)

uwholaura in Monroe, Ohio

58 months ago

Ok, Surfergirl. It seems that you know all there is to know about OT. So what would you suggest for those who are desiring to be in a field to help others. Better yet, what did you pursue after leaving the OT world?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

school girl in Solon, Ohio

58 months ago

hi im a currently a student in ohio going for ota. i keep hearing rumors that most jobs start out with 18.00 hourly. i cant see going for 2 years and letting a 1year lpn top me off. please advise

58 months ago

AND for the record Surger Girl, I used the right word, so don't think you know it all!

This is straight from a pdf file from Moorpark College
Nursing Science homepage

"•Because the program is impacted, there will be a random selection of
qualified applicants, a number will be assigned to each applicant, and the
applicant’s name will be placed on a waiting list: Each student’s number
will indicate his/her place in “LINE” to enter the program. Applicants are
admitted to the nursing program by number order"

You are close enough so you should drive you busy body butt over there and tell them that THEY used the wrong word. lol :)

Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Hopefully soon to be COTA in Sacramento said: AND for the record Surger Girl, I used the right word, so don't think you know it all!

This is straight from a pdf file from Moorpark College
Nursing Science homepage

"•Because the program is impacted, there will be a random selection of
qualified applicants, a number will be assigned to each applicant, and the
applicant’s name will be placed on a waiting list: Each student’s number
will indicate his/her place in “LINE” to enter the program. Applicants are
admitted to the nursing program by number order"

You are close enough so you should drive you busy body butt over there and tell them that THEY used the wrong word. lol :)

Good Luck!!

****I meant to type Surfer Girl..SORRY!******

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Real OT in Wayne, New Jersey

53 months ago

genius

obviously you have no idea what you're talking about so I would suggest you not bother trying to get into therapy at all.

there are enough ignorant therapists out there.

OT or PT for that matter don't function as high paid CNA's. If you work in a SNF there are times when you will need to take care of patient needs and you do your best to tie that into tx. Otherwise you work as a therapist! Not a CNA.

If you don't know the difference then I again suggest you find another path.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Real OT in Wayne, New Jersey

53 months ago

To surfer girl.

learn before you speak. PT and OT both require real skills and if you knew anything you would see that OT actually covers areas of PT and ST.

If OT were not that important, then Medicare would not have a separate payer for OT. PT and ST share the funding and yet OT, which you say is worthless, has a fund that equals what PT and ST get together!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

your MAMA in Douglasville, Georgia

52 months ago

OTnot4me in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Funny. I often tell people I feel like I am in prison and only get parole on the weekend. I am not the only one that feels that way by the way. It is like the work is so degrading that you are in prison. Can't explain unless you have been there done that.

Have you actually been in prison? Degrading as prison? You mean you have to work a 5 day work week, clock in and out at certain times, get along with others, put up with an aggravating boss sometimes, and get paid 50+K a year? Wow...sounds like a job that happens to pay well. Nothing like prison at all

52 months ago

Surfer girl in San Clemente, California said: BTW, OT isn't a real "career field" as you would say or a "profession." It's a make-believe, pretend world of pretend therapy. Only reason they keep you around is because of the reimbursement - or they would find a number of people who would be more than qualified to do your job i.e. CNA, PT aide etc.

CNAs are busy enough...plus...they work under direct supervision of other nurses..not OT or any insurance company. It is funny how people compare OT to CNA. It is as if you are not giving any credit to accredidation agencies for implementing graduate study programs. Education programming is a huge expense at the cost of the schools and government(public school). If anyone in their right mind believed OT to be the same as CNA, there would be no need for a distinct difference in education. CNAs are not even an adjunct to OTs.

52 months ago

Surfer girl said: typo alert - should be "working" ---- not "workig."

You have alot more grammatical errors than that for someone who is so anal retentive about it....get a freakin' life...all we see here is miserable hypocrisy

yourMAMA in Douglasville, Georgia

52 months ago

OTnot4me in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I have made a decision to quit as soon as possible. I am scared about not making money but know somehow I will find the way. So many people in OT are misrable unless they are the lucky ones who are just too stupid to know any better. Why spend your life in agony over making money that ultimately will kill you? And if OT doesn't kill you it sure robs you of a normal life. I wish all the others that are trying to find a life after OT good luck.

Please help! I must be too stupid to know any better? Do you know what a normal life is? Please share your great and all knowing wisdom! Please! I don't want to end up miserable like you...anything useful would be great! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim ccc

50 months ago

Im a COTA with 12 yrs experience and have to say I am miserable. I love helping people and making a difference in my clients lives but the facilities are making it unbearable. They cut the pay (In 12 yrs I've never seen a raise at any facility/agency) The OTR's that are suppose to be "supervising" me are never around and have me do all the treatments/progress/statistics/orders/d/c etc. I've been at places where I've never even seen an OTR yet they somehow manage to sign my notes. I know of places that treat children just to get paid. I don't hate what I do I hate what is going on. I've switched jobs hoping that it would be different but it is not. It is all about reimbursement. I also feel the 2 year program was not enough for what I need to do in the real world. I think they shold also take the word assistant out because who are we assisting??? I do everything. Also for the butt wiping. I've never done so and NEVER will. If I am asked I will simply leave. I've trained patients on toilets with their clothes on. I am not a CNA and will not deal with it

PJC USC OTS in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

kim ccc said: Im a COTA with 12 yrs experience and have to say I am miserable. I love helping people and making a difference in my clients lives but the facilities are making it unbearable. They cut the pay (In 12 yrs I've never seen a raise at any facility/agency) The OTR's that are suppose to be "supervising" me are never around and have me do all the treatments/progress/statistics/orders/d/c etc. I've been at places where I've never even seen an OTR yet they somehow manage to sign my notes. I know of places that treat children just to get paid. I don't hate what I do I hate what is going on. I've switched jobs hoping that it would be different but it is not. It is all about reimbursement. I also feel the 2 year program was not enough for what I need to do in the real world. I think they shold also take the word assistant out because who are we assisting??? I do everything. Also for the butt wiping. I've never done so and NEVER will. If I am asked I will simply leave. I've trained patients on toilets with their clothes on. I am not a CNA and will not deal with it

What have you done to voice your concerns? It does nothing to sit back and 'take it' since you're not the OTR. Titles don't mean much if people don't live up to them- and if you feel that you need more supervision or would like to see the OTR do more, it could be an ethical issue. Don't forget that the work environment needs to be ethical and that that includes everyone. If you feel the lack of 'presence' from your OTR is not there- you could make a case about ethics: true quality care, competency, supervision for treatments, etc.

Also- why would you 'practice/pretend' to do ADL-toileting/pericare with clothes on? If you're going to do it- DO IT. You do less good for the pt when they can't fully experience problems that may arise during treatment. Ethically, you need to consider providing a complete treatment or else you may run into gray areas of tx reimbursement...

50 months ago

if you're going to use cooking as the occupation in therapy- do you just talk about cooking? You address more when you do the occupation in therapy. OT/OTA are given skills for performance analysis. If you don't use that skill then, that therapy are you reimbursing for? Pretend play? I don't mean to offend you, but it sounds like your situation won't change no matter where you go until you discover what you need to do as a therapist to better your treatment, your comfort zone, and your work environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Hawaii

50 months ago

Easy PJ. I'm a student too, and I've been taught to make treatments "occupation based," but I've also been told by my professors to go easy on judging practitioners and the treatments they choose. There is a lot we still don't know and there may be very good reasons why the OTs who practice where we do our fieldworks decide on various treatments, even if they go against what we were taught in school. I understand what you are saying, but maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge the clinical reasoning of practitioners.

50 months ago

Suzie Que in Hawaii said: Easy PJ. I'm a student too, and I've been taught to make treatments "occupation based," but I've also been told by my professors to go easy on judging practitioners and the treatments they choose. There is a lot we still don't know and there may be very good reasons why the OTs who practice where we do our fieldworks decide on various treatments, even if they go against what we were taught in school. I understand what you are saying, but maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge the clinical reasoning of practitioners.

I totally agree with you. There is still so much to learn, but I've been told to accept the challenges and criticism now as a student as well as when I become a practitioner. Both arenas provide experiential and new-ideas that could benefit from one another. I respect those currently practicing, but also seek to understand their situations through questioning and problem solving.

Suzie Que in Hawaii

50 months ago

Questioning is great! Always ask questions, it is the best way to learn. I'm just saying that responding to someone who is unhappy with their work environment to "better their treatments," is not being particularly helpful. You could be right, I have no idea what her situation is. But you also weren't really addressing the individuals problem. As therapists, aren't we supposed to be client-centered? That means addressing the problems the clients want addressed, not the problems that we think need fixing.

50 months ago

Suzie Que in Hawaii said: But you also weren't really addressing the individuals problem. As therapists, aren't we supposed to be client-centered? That means addressing the problems the clients want addressed, not the problems that we think need fixing.

True.

I tried to address many areas related to her situation, from what I've learned, and from other clinician complaints/experiences.

Maybe I could be lacking, but this is what I 'heard' and been reasoning in my head.
1. Lack of supervision- expectations of having more OTR observation, input, etc. was not met. Possible ethical issue for practice or work ethic.
2. She "doesn't like what is going on"- possibly referring to providers who do it for the money, who are not doing what they need to do, doing it for the reimbursement, etc.
3. She has changed job locations- possibly, the same issues arise as mentioned above. I mentioned that things will not change unless yo attempt to do something about it. Supervisors, admins, ombudsman, etc. The same problems will arise everywhere you go unless you attempt to change it for the better. This is a common complaint on this forum- but it seems that each person except for 1 has tried to make a change.
4. Perceived lack of education/competency/preparation for 'real world'- possibly having difficult treatment sessions with clients? This is something she needs to be more explicit about.
5. Dislike of professional titles- From her comment, "I do everything," it sounds like the OTR is not earning their pay? or her position is being taken for granted by others? or possible burnout? or significant differences in salaries? there are so many 'OR' statements with this area.
6. Perceived expectations vs job descriptions vs other providers- possible lack of respect within workplace? providers not being held to responsibilities/accountability?

I tend to throw things out there and problem-solve. But you're right- it's all about being client centered :)

Suzie Que in Hawaii

50 months ago

I can definitely see your point. And honestly, the points you raised were going through my head as well. I like to treat OT/OTA practitioners as teachers with a more real world perspective than my professors. My professors articulate the ideal, while the clinicians use clinical reasoning to make the best decisions for their clients given the constraints of the real world setting. It doesn't mean they are always right though, like you said. As I mentioned before, I don't disagree with your points. :)

ardentanglophile in Redmond, Washington

49 months ago

Can we revisit the "are COTAs going away" or are they staying? I withdrew from a program and I am considering going back since I have all the prerequisites lined. up.

Niobe in Utica, Michigan

49 months ago

They are staying and companies are recruiting and hiring like crazy!

OT in Farmington, Michigan

44 months ago

Genius in Oak Park, Michigan said: Why do you need to have associates level training to be a COTA, couldn't you just be trained on the job if you have some direct care experience?

Can a COTA whose C title has lapsed work on her own in a clinic with indirect supervision or general supervision and not direct supervision.???

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.