Do you need to be outgoing to be an OT?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

garland79 in Garfield, New Jersey

20 months ago

Hello,

I am considering a career in OT and I am wondering if my personality would be a good fit for it. I have always been quiet and reserved for the most part. It tends to take me a little while to warm up to somebody new and feel comfortable around them. However once I warm up to them I definitely enjoy the company of others. I also enjoy helping people, and I prefer 1-on-1 interactions to being around groups of people. For these reasons I think OT could be a good fit, but I have some worries about whether you need to be very outgoing and sociable to be an OT. I would really appreciate hearing other people's feedback regarding this.

Thanks,
Bob

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Concord, North Carolina

20 months ago

garland79 in Garfield, New Jersey said: Hello,

I am considering a career in OT and I am wondering if my personality would be a good fit for it. I have always been quiet and reserved for the most part. It tends to take me a little while to warm up to somebody new and feel comfortable around them. However once I warm up to them I definitely enjoy the company of others. I also enjoy helping people, and I prefer 1-on-1 interactions to being around groups of people. For these reasons I think OT could be a good fit, but I have some worries about whether you need to be very outgoing and sociable to be an OT. I would really appreciate hearing other people's feedback regarding this.

Thanks,
Bob

I don't think you need to be outgoing but it would definitely help. When I was doing my observation hours for school, it seemed that the OTs were for the most part outgoing. I thought this was a good career choice for me because I am very outgoing. My best advice is to try and shadow in different areas of OT. I was able to observe in pediatrics, geriatrics, hospital setting, and a hand therapy setting, so there is a lot to see out there. Once you get to observe and probably interact with patients, you can determine if it is a good career fit for you. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

OT_Student in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

garland79 in Garfield, New Jersey said: Hello,

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,
Your personality is like mine. You'll be just fine being an OT. Go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.