Fieldwork Issues

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 75)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

poop in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

It is the fieldwork instructors fault. Many are on a power trip and enjoy seeing the poor students cringe. Believe me they have nothing better to do than make your life misrable. Sorry. Since you are this far gone into the field and you still want to finish ask for a different placement with a kinder person. There may be one out there. OT is not rocket science so that is why they have to make a very simple process so complicated. An intelligent instructor makes complex situations easier. An evil instructor makes easy things complicated. Just remember it is not you. Try to relax and repeat this will all be over one day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

OTstudent in Cincinnati, Ohio

59 months ago

Thanks for the encouragement. My confidence has gone down the tubes. I need to decide if I should face my fear and request another shot at an acute site or request the third level II in a different arena such as LTC. I really wanted the experience of acute, but am afraid I may not pass. Do you think it is wise to not get the full acute experience before the first job placement, or does it not really make a difference

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

poop in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

It makes no difference. Do whatever is easiest and least stressful at this stage. Nobody really cares what a FIMS is anyways. Must just be something at the place you were at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Bell, California

59 months ago

OTstudent in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Thanks for the encouragement. My confidence has gone down the tubes. I need to decide if I should face my fear and request another shot at an acute site or request the third level II in a different arena such as LTC. I really wanted the experience of acute, but am afraid I may not pass. Do you think it is wise to not get the full acute experience before the first job placement, or does it not really make a difference

That's right --- they enjoy the power trip of intimidating students and acting so very superior as if you'll just never "get it" and are a failure. In other words, if they determine that you're a failure, then God forbid if you prove them wrong. Don't let this diminish your confidence or sense of self worth -then they will have won since obviously this person/s has/have nothing better to do. You may find a better situation elsewhere - or one that's more bearable and possible to finish with a passing grade. But, just know, this is how it is 75% of the time out there -only the tough-skinned survive - it's all about ego and gaining the upper hand and less about therapy and helping patients. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FGT in Mauldin, South Carolina

59 months ago

I had two HORRIBLE CIs during my clinicals. They are all on powertrips, especially when they are fat and ugly which both of them were.

It's true, just do what is the absolute easiest clinical in order to get out of the program. Don't feel bad if they didn't pass you. It seems like every school has the need to fail someone during the clinicals just to give some justification of needing a level of competence to function in this absolutely lame, mindless, non-science based, fake profession.

You're better than this profession, just remember that. And hopefully, you'll be able to go back to school some day relatively soon to get a job in a science based and real profession.

I hate OT and I still can't believe I wasted my time and money to change careers. Bottom line: the profession sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

OTStudent in Cincinnati, Ohio

58 months ago

It's really great to hear encouraging words. I've spent the last week and a half realizing that I need to just move on. I decided to move forward with the LTC rotation. This has been a horrible learning experience, but I think that I am more realistic about expectations. I love the patients and the teaching aspect of the profession, so I will keep that foremost in the decisions that I need to make. I will study my a_ _ off to pass the NBCOT and not worry about learning everything on clinicals. I appreciate everyone and their comments!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FJ in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

48 months ago

hello all,
OT is NOT a JOKE!!!
I have been an OT for over 5 years, and i know that OT is a neccessary profession because without OT's people would NOT be functional with their everyday activities. I agree that school does not and can not teach all the knowledge one needs in order to pass the exam, but your fieldwork/internships are suppose to fill in those blanks. if you feel that you did not get enough input and knowledge to confidently PASS the NBCOT exam on the first try then it was your particular school curriculum, your fieldwork, and/or your own study habits [or a combination of any of these factors]. when i was a student, at times i was not certain about what i observed but whenever this happened i tried different things when i got home to get the answer wheather i would refer to my text books, or call a fellow OT student to brainstorm about what i observed, or google it on the internet, or [if absolutely neccessary] i would email my professor about their advice to what i observed...
theres literature, journals, studies, articles, the internet that could allow ANYONE to expand their knowledge about a certain concept. and that goes for whether your an OT or another profession.
BTW in response to the OTS in Ohio, i dont think it was a "power trip" issue i think you were overwhelmed with the paperwork for the clients... when it comes to the FIM you go with your instinct and later when you go over your notes with your CI they would either agree with your FIM levels or would adjust it for appropriate documentation reasons [if the FIM level was changed your CI should explain why the person had a different level than what you noticed...]
Jus as POOP said above, OT is not difficult just go with your instincts and knowledge you will be fine, confidence in what you're seeing is a big factor to making appropriate scores/FIM levels/decisions for your clients.
good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

FJ in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

48 months ago

WOW...
i apologize that you went through a rough experience during this fieldwork. was your school able to place you in a different place?
acute care is not for every1... if you dont feel confident doing transfers or dont want to do transfers try to request to work in a setting where chances are that you would not have to do them, such as a hand therapy clinic or outpatient settings. in those settings the clients are usually I'ly mobile in some form. but if you are placed in acute care again jus let your CI know from the first day that 1 weakness you have is with transfers and you would like to practice transfers with and without a belt before doing them with a patient.
i kno i wrote alot above, but please please always remember this: if you need to transfer a patient and while your doing the transfer, you feel that YOU are doing MOST of the work [as if the patient is not helping at all or putting little effort of less than half the work or 50%] STOP-STOP-STOP! do not move the patient any further, jus make sure they are secure and stable from the position they are in, remember to grade the patient as a max assist with that transfer, and move on to the next area you need to assess... its not worth breaking your back to get the patient up...
if you prefer to see them transfer you can always ask the PCT, porter, PT, PTA or whoever that work with that patient and to let you know approximately what time they have that patient on thier schedule to work with them... cotreatments are not uncommon, especially in an acute care setting...
BTW, in terms of your CI doin double billing, thats not the case becasue YOU are treating her cleints and she is treating another set of clients that is not considered double billing...
i hope some of this input was helpful, good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

OTstudent in Columbus, Ohio

48 months ago

Thank you FJ.
My CI treated me like an entry level therapist. On several occasions I had told her I don't feel safe transferring a large patient by myself, but she insisted that I do it. Her response, "What are you going to do when you are a therapist?" My response, "I would call an aid or nurse". She did not approve.

Unfortunately, my school's policy is that one of your fieldwork rotations must be in inpatient. Now my field work advisor told me I have to wait one whole year before I can be placed again. This is not what I was told when I started the program or I would have never chosen the school. I don't know what I am going to do and I will have to start paying my school loans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

FJ in Brooklyn, New York

48 months ago

The students loans can be deferred due to low salary, in school/intership obligations, and/or hardship. just consolidate by the time you must make payments & lock in a good rate...

in terms of your CI, maybe she expected you to say: A.)You would use a sliding board for the transfer; B.) position wheelchair to 90deg to do a pivot-stand or 3pt turn transfer; C.) raise the hospital bed while the patient sit at the edge of hosp bed until the knees are slightly flexed and feet are still flat on the floor [so that the patient doesnt have to use too much effort to push-up to stand/ sit]; or possibly D.) remove the arm of the whhelchair to allow the patient to slide over.
the reason why occupational therapist's works on transfers is to teach the patient how to transfer I'ly & safely, to figure and train them to use the best strategy to perform safe transfers. not that YOU should be transferring them, remember its about the patient functionalmobility skills not urs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

OTSIN in Indianapolis, Indiana

48 months ago

Do not attend Midwestern University. You will be 100,000 in debt. Attend a state school! What a waste of my money and time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Staten Island, New York

47 months ago

I think acute is not a good fieldwork setting. I'd look for SNF or rehab so you are more able to take your time to understand. Maybe you could ask for the curriculum before you go to see what the expectations are. Be clear that you had a bad experience and you need to know what is expected.

n/a in Long Beach, California

42 months ago

You can also try the psychosocial field, interview the CI beforehand. I think that's one of the most important factors, CI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mel in Auckland, New Zealand

42 months ago

I fully understand some of the comments written here especially regarding the teaching of OT. The lecturer's make it so difficult just to give the profession validation and justification and OT is not rocket science but that is the way it is. It is unevenly implemented here in NZ. Not all acute health settings are the same believe me!!! It seems so unstable, for e.g. the inpatient OT role has no one set, clear black and white definition, all therapists have a different definition for what an inpatient OT role is and the same for inpatient acute mental health, but what ever you say to an employer that asks you "what is the OT's role in an inpatient setting" and you say what it is, sometime it does not sit right with them. Im thinking about doing teaching, i have been doing special education and really enjoy it, that;s the only good thing that has come out of my OT degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jazzyj in Frisco, Texas

41 months ago

I am not an OT, I am a Speech Therapist and I totally can relate to what POOP and Mauldin are saying. Speech is the same way, the same way! NON SENSE! I work in the schools because I love kids, but all day long we practice our sounds and play games. It gets so boring and monotonous and what frustrates me the most is all this drilling makes the tiniest difference in their Speech, because I can't fix it!! The kids don't even hear how they sound and have no clue. When they come to me they make their sounds, but when they leave, they go right back to misarticulation. Years of therapy, and these kids still have not got it. It is not me, it is their BRAIN, it is developmental and they will pick it up eventually, with or without Speech Therapy, when they are developmentally ready. And when that is, I have no control over! Its BORING! Funny that I came here, because I was actually thinking about switching to Occupational Therapy or that maybe it would be less boring than Speech Therapy! Should've known! Now, I'm thinking of going all out and taking the plunge into Nursing. But it's a trade off, the therapy professions are boring and mindless yet flexible, and nursing is stressful (Not Boring) and not as flexible with time, don't forget your on call and overtime. Which Way Do I Go?? I want out of THERAPYP!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Auckland, New Zealand

36 months ago

Hi

I reckon you should go for nursing, heaps of opportunities for you, can travel and work as a nurse anywhere, don't worry about the over time and that it is stressful, that is the nature of the job itself, take the good with the bad, any job is hard, i feel like i made a big mistake doing OT and i wish i had done something like nursing, you get taught how to do things, with OT its very self directed and often you don't end up knowing what you are doing, and all therapists are taught that they need to find their own way of practising, but it creates confusion because people become fixed in their way of doing things and they expect others to do the same as them and that's not always the case, so it tends to contradict itself, there are alot of things wrong with the OT profession, with nursing you are taught the whole way through how to take bloods, wound care, how to do CPR, oxygen masks, its structured well. OT is a made up profession.

Do nursing it is more rewarding heaps of work as district health nurse, public health, rehabilitation centres, private hospitals etc.. Take the plunge

All the very best,

WannabeCHT in Los Angeles, California

36 months ago

lol I know PTs who don't know what the hell their doing either. Most of their patients are basically getting heat n cold packs, stretches and workouts... not much to that either. NO therapy is rocket science... from Psych to OT to PT to SLP they are all relatively easy to understand. You guys act like all of these things are unique to OT. You hear that OTs are glorified CNAs... well PTs get called glorified personal trainers, and SLPs get called unnecessary all the time. Nurses are disrespected and looked down upon by doctors AND therapists, and even general practice MDs are looked down upon by MDs in a specialty (Oncologist, anesthesiologist) or surgery. It's the nature of the business, in ANY business. Yet we all know that there is a theory, a science, and a method to the madness with each profession. They all have tangible skills weather or not they get realized in the money/time driven world of healthcare and weather or not people agree they work. OPEN your eyes, suck it up stop complaining and just go to work... If you're an OTR go cry yourself to sleep with ur 80K+ salary... Oh BOO HOO I have a job and make good money! boo hoo boo hoo... Jeez! This must be that "suburb culture" I keep hearing about, just complain about everything! GROW UP and learn how to invest your happiness in your LIFE and your HOME and not at your JOB. The purpose of a JOB is to make enuff money to have a good low-stress LIFE to go home to!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

This post is supposed to be about fieldwork, not a job satisfaction survey! Fieldwork students aren't making any money, and if they don't pass they have to wait months to get a job! If you fail your NBCOT test u have to wait at least 45 days and pay ANOTHER 500 dollars to take the test again and HOPEFULLY pass! IF you hate your job as an OT the solution is verrrry easy... SWITCH JOBS! Look online for the tons of opportunities and do some interviews! I can't believe that in this economy people earning an EXCELLENT salary with EXCELLENT job security are crying about job satisfaction... what??? And sorry to the original poster for my rant... I've just seen WAY too much complaining on this forum and it just sounds like a bunch of babies who want everything perfect and they all need to either stick to the subject or go start their own discussion called "my 6-figure job is depressing". If you walked up to me or any of my low-income friends and said that statement you would get the oddest jaw-dropped look you've ever seen in your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Auckland, New Zealand

36 months ago

every one has the right to have some satisfaction in their job, the OT profession is changing all the time, lots of OT's made redundant in private practice and creating heaps of competition when applying for jobs in hospital settings, at the moment in NZ it is increasingly difficult for new grads to get jobs as there are heaps of health cuts with District Health boards, lots of restrictions as well for example new grad positions are for the ones who have one year of OT work experience, i mean how on earth are they meant to get experience or jobs. Is this the same in the US?

36 months ago

every one has the right to have some satisfaction in their job, the OT profession is changing all the time, lots of OT's made redundant in private practice and creating heaps of competition when applying for jobs in hospital settings, at the moment in NZ it is increasingly difficult for new grads to get jobs as there are heaps of health cuts with District Health boards, lots of restrictions as well for example new grad positions are for the ones who have one year of OT work experience, i mean how on earth are they meant to get experience or jobs. Is this the same in the US?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Not yet... In the US there are plenty of jobs as of now... hopefully it stays that way. And I agree that you should find satisfaction in your job, but it isn't really ur right to it if you aren't seeking it in the first place. It isn't even your right to have a job at all, why would it be a right to have satisfaction in it? It is a helping profession, in some way in any setting you are helping somebody. If you got into a service oriented helping profession because you want to help then what is the problem? Where is all of this depression coming from? I can see not liking everything about your job... thats no problem. What I'm talking about is the people who keep taking it over the top. Saying things like "FML" and "OT is a useless fake profession" etc. etc. its reeeeeeally ridiculous. Smart people don't get Ph.Ds in "useless fake" subjects, because they will have a useless and fake degree. You guys just need to tone this down a lot. I consider myself an intelligent individual and I definitely would not be in OT school if the profession didn't make any sense. Stop taking your specific rare experiences and extrapolating them into nonsense...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nik in Long Beach, California

36 months ago

jazzyj in Frisco, Texas said: I am not an OT, I am a Speech Therapist and I totally can relate to what POOP and Mauldin are saying. Speech is the same way, the same way! NON SENSE! I work in the schools because I love kids, but all day long we practice our sounds and play games. It gets so boring and monotonous and what frustrates me the most is all this drilling makes the tiniest difference in their Speech, because I can't fix it!! The kids don't even hear how they sound and have no clue. When they come to me they make their sounds, but when they leave, they go right back to misarticulation. Years of therapy, and these kids still have not got it. It is not me, it is their BRAIN, it is developmental and they will pick it up eventually, with or without Speech Therapy, when they are developmentally ready. And when that is, I have no control over! Its BORING! Funny that I came here, because I was actually thinking about switching to Occupational Therapy or that maybe it would be less boring than Speech Therapy! Should've known! Now, I'm thinking of going all out and taking the plunge into Nursing. But it's a trade off, the therapy professions are boring and mindless yet flexible, and nursing is stressful (Not Boring) and not as flexible with time, don't forget your on call and overtime. Which Way Do I Go?? I want out of THERAPYP!!

My experience with school district speech therapists is that they are not very good at what they are doing. Yes, there brain may be a contributing factor in their slow progress, but why is it that I see more progress in speech from an independent speech therapist? This is the same kid who apparently have some sort of "brain" problem. Personally I do not believe the school district hires qualifies speech therapists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jazzyj in Frisco, Texas

36 months ago

It may be true that Speech therapists in the school district are not that well trained. But I've worked with and have seen Speech Therapists at the University of Tx and as creative and imaginitive as they are with their activities and ideas, they are no different than a Special Ed Teacher at the schools. And the best that I have seen of these highly recognized Speech Pathologists were the ones who worked with Autistic and Mentally Handicapped children or language impaired.

I have seen them do Articulation and Fluency therapy and I don't see any difference there. Articulation is not hard to teach, the Kindergarten teachers at my school teach some of the same basic techniques that we do. Articulation is developmental and I'm telling you these kids will get their sounds when they are ready. The kids that I work with can make their target sounds, but they don't use them when they talk to their friends or teachers. How am I supposed to fix that? How am I supposed to make that kid articulate his sounds correctly at recess when he talks to his friends? I can't make him hear it or do it all the time! That's the kids job. If he can do it in my class, he should do it at recess or in class with his peers. That is his call!

Fluency is another story. I have worked with several of my Master Level Speech Pathologists at school. Just got a new one this year, but she is younger and boy is she cocky! I asked her for help with fluency kids and she gave me a book to read. I'm not kidding! The book talks about breathing and slow rate and slow onset and easy onset. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! There is one area in Speech that I can tell you most therapists are not trained at all in and that is Fluency. I think the reason is because once again, ITS THE BRAIN! If there was a way to actually fix or help correct Fluency, then maybe I would even stay in the profession. But, I can't! And people actually think that Speech Pathologists are the answer to their stuttering problem

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Molly in Cincinnati, Ohio

36 months ago

There are many things that school does not tell you about Occupational Therapy. Your instructors will make it sound like a wonderful career to pursue. And in some cases it can be rewarding. While you will have wonderful compliant patients, often you will not. You will have kids throwing temper tantrums, kids rubbing snot all over you, kids that hit, bigger kids that hit or try to strangle, nasty adults, dirty old men that want you to wipe them after using the restroom or wash their body in the shower, nasty old women that insult you, nasty dementia patients, patients that do not need help, morbidly obese patients, patients that are nasty to their family members, abusers, patients that will become violent towards you, patients that want to die yet because their family has POA they will not let them, patients that need to be in hospice but you have to treat anyway. If you work in mental health, you may have to work with murders, seriel killers, sex offenders, child molesters. People will also whine and complain that they do not want to do therapy on particular days and you will be expected to convince them otherwise. I have also personally, seen unprofessional behavior in this field. Some of my co workers talk about their patients behind their back and make fun of patients after treatment. Think carefully before going in to this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

cry me a river in Appleton, Wisconsin

36 months ago

Molly in Cincinnati, Ohio said: There are many things that school does not tell you about Occupational Therapy. Your instructors will make it sound like a wonderful career to pursue. And in some cases it can be rewarding. While you will have wonderful compliant patients, often you will not. You will have kids throwing temper tantrums, kids rubbing snot all over you, kids that hit, bigger kids that hit or try to strangle, nasty adults, dirty old men that want you to wipe them after using the restroom or wash their body in the shower, nasty old women that insult you, nasty dementia patients, patients that do not need help, morbidly obese patients, patients that are nasty to their family members, abusers, patients that will become violent towards you, patients that want to die yet because their family has POA they will not let them, patients that need to be in hospice but you have to treat anyway. If you work in mental health, you may have to work with murders, seriel killers, sex offenders, child molesters. People will also whine and complain that they do not want to do therapy on particular days and you will be expected to convince them otherwise. I have also personally, seen unprofessional behavior in this field. Some of my co workers talk about their patients behind their back and make fun of patients after treatment. Think carefully before going in to this field.

Wow...you mentioned every possible negative one may have to deal with in this field. I have to say you come across as an extremely negative and pestimistic individual. Your cup is definitely half empty. Maybe you should consider seeing an occupational therapist to help you find some purpose and meaning in your life. People like you suck... you suck the good out of this world. Keep your negative comments to yourself and if you don't like this profession then get out, becuase you are a bad representation of not only this profession, but the entire health field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

cry me a river in Appleton, Wisconsin said: Wow...you mentioned every possible negative one may have to deal with in this field. I have to say you come across as an extremely negative and pestimistic individual. Your cup is definitely half empty. Maybe you should consider seeing an occupational therapist to help you find some purpose and meaning in your life. People like you suck... you suck the good out of this world. Keep your negative comments to yourself and if you don't like this profession then get out, becuase you are a bad representation of not only this profession, but the entire health field.

Wow based on one post you suddenly know about me? I doubt you even read my post. All I said what that schools hype up the field when there are many unpleasant things you will have to deal with as an OT.

And by the way, you say "People like you suck" Are you 14 years old? You sound like a teenager that spends their entire day trolling the internet. And wow, keep my negative comments to myself? So according to you, no one can critisize this field? No one can talk about the cons? We should just tell everyone that they are getting into a wonderful field that will have no negatives? People should not prepare themselves for these negatives? We should hide the truty?

And by the way, you must be very blind or see the world through rose tinted glasses if you think I am a bad representative. Every place where I have worked has had OTs, as well as PTs and SLPs, talk negative about their patients, share personal stories about their patients, talk negative about their co workers, form a cliquy groups, the list goes on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jazzyj in Frisco, Texas

36 months ago

cry me a river in Appleton, Wisconsin said: Wow...you mentioned every possible negative one may have to deal with in this field. I have to say you come across as an extremely negative and pestimistic individual. Your cup is definitely half empty. Maybe you should consider seeing an occupational therapist to help you find some purpose and meaning in your life. People like you suck... you suck the good out of this world. Keep your negative comments to yourself and if you don't like this profession then get out, becuase you are a bad representation of not only this profession, but the entire health field.

Is there something wrong with someone speaking about the negative side of a profession. There are many posts on this forum speaking about all the positive aspects of these professions and that is their stance, that is their view, their opinion. That is what forums are for, sharing ideas, opinions or views. It is always best for anyone making any kind of decision about any matter, to think about the pros and cons first before taking the plunge. It would be stupid to only think about the pros and completely ignore the cons.

Also, when someone is trying to decide what field they will go into, they need DETAILS... "I love my job as an OT, it is a very rewarding field." That statement is not DETAILED enough to make a decision off of. They need to know the hard ugly DETAILS too. So, please step off and let people speak their mind. Nothing is ever ONE SIDED! Glad you love wiping asses and doing whatever it is that OT's do. But don't down people for having enough nerve in the first place to speak about things that a lot of OT's would rather not even mention at all and just brush it under the rug as if it ain't no THANG! I'm sorry but it is important to hear the cons, it is very important. And to be honest, I didn't even know that OT's had to wipe asses. But NOW I DO, SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

[QUOTE who="jazzyj And to be honest, I didn't even know that OT's had to wipe asses. But NOW I DO, SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Were you considering going into OT as a career? Not only will you have to wipe asses, but you might also get pooped on in the shower, or while walking someone to the bathroom after nursing "forgot" to put a depend on them.

School won't tell you this. At least mine did not. It was all "Oh it's the best and most rewarding field you could go into!" Apparently, this is the same for many other schools too. Also, don't get me started on nasty parents when you work in peds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

In my final year of OT in NZ the head of department asked "how many of you want to work in a hospital after you have graduated"? Most of us put our hands up and guess what he said "its not going to happen", he was being honest but they wait until the last year of our studies to tell us the reality of the job market and the OT job itself. It has been increasingly difficult to find jobs in NZ for OT graduates and i am still looking and i don't know what to do any more:( I graduated in decmeber 2009 and have had interviews but no job offer and same with some of my other class mates, we have a government at the moment who has been making so many health cuts to district health boards who use to have heaps of OT graduate programmes they use to take more than 5 graduates and now they can only take one which means the competition increases, its so unfair.I really enjoy OT and love working with all kinds of different people and age groups and no one wants to give me a chance:( I dont want to give up,but i feel like i have come to the end, i have a friend who has totally given up, she had one interview and she didn't get it and then she lost her confidence and did not apply again, now she's working as a support worker.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i could do, i mean i don;t even get feedback from the manager as to how i did, i am usually second best or third best in the interviews i have been to, i recently had one two weeks ago and although she gave me good feedback saying i know all my clinical knowledge and i am employable, she rang my old clinical supervisor who was my referee and she basically recycled over the phone when she was giving me the rejection what my OT had said "that im employable and will make a great OT blah, blah, blah, she did say i am someone they would definitely want to hire and wished that there was another position.

I don;t know who they are looking for,i mean we are just new grads and we don;t know everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

In my final year of OT in NZ the head of department asked "how many of you want to work in a hospital after you have graduated"? Most of us put our hands up and guess what he said "its not going to happen", he was being honest but they wait until the last year of our studies to tell us the reality of the job market and the OT job itself. It has been increasingly difficult to find jobs in NZ for OT graduates and i am still looking and i don't know what to do any more:( I graduated in decmeber 2009 and have had interviews but no job offer and same with some of my other class mates, we have a government at the moment who has been making so many health cuts to district health boards who use to have heaps of OT graduate programmes they use to take more than 5 graduates and now they can only take one which means the competition increases, its so unfair.I really enjoy OT and love working with all kinds of different people and age groups and no one wants to give me a chance:( I dont want to give up,but i feel like i have come to the end, i have a friend who has totally given up, she had one interview and she didn't get it and then she lost her confidence and did not apply again, now she's working as a support worker.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i could do, i mean i don;t even get feedback from the manager as to how i did, i am usually second best or third best in the interviews i have been to, i recently had one two weeks ago and although she gave me good feedback saying i know all my clinical knowledge and i am employable, she rang my old clinical supervisor who was my referee and she basically recycled over the phone when she was giving me the rejection what my OT had said "that im employable and will make a great OT blah, blah, blah, she did say i am someone they would definitely want to hire and wished that there was another position.

I don;t know who they are looking for,i mean we are just new grads and we don;t know everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

suddhano in Eureka, California

36 months ago

Molly in Cincinnati, Ohio said: [QUOTE who="jazzyj And to be honest, I didn't even know that OT's had to wipe asses. But NOW I DO, SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Were you considering going into OT as a career? Not only will you have to wipe asses, but you might also get pooped on in the shower, or while walking someone to the bathroom after nursing "forgot" to put a depend on them.

School won't tell you this. At least mine did not. It was all "Oh it's the best and most rewarding field you could go into!" Apparently, this is the same for many other schools too. Also, don't get me started on nasty parents when you work in peds.

Thanks for your post. Indeed, as someone who will be starting OT school in a few weeks, it is good to read a post like yours and ask myself, "do I still want to do this?" Basically the answer is yes, though I have to admit I do not want to deal with feces or blood (that's what ruled out nursing for me). I volunteered and shadowed OTs at 2 locations: a hospital rehab and a hand & foot clinic. What different worlds there were. In the hospital it was all about working with stroke patients and I could see that it definitely got messy. However, most of the patients seemed willing to do the therapy and fairly easy to work with. But at the hand & foot clinic, it was a totally different orientation. Non of the messy stuff. I can definitely see myself working in that kind of environment rather than the hospital, and I think I'd be good at it. So what I'm wondering is if the world of OT is vast enough to accommodate most- surely there are jobs for people who would rather not deal with serial killers and being pooped on in the shower?

BTW, the OT who mentored me at the rehab dealt with all the disgusting aspects of the job and yet genuinely loves being an OT. She was quite amazing. So it seems that it can go both way: a hard, dirty job that some people genuinely love doing.

Suzie Que in Hawaii

36 months ago

You know, it is pretty rare that I have to wipe someone's butt in rehab, but when I do it's really no big deal. I hope that when I am old, there is someone who will be willing to wipe my butt without cringing with disgust. I was a CNA before going into OT and there is considerably less butt wiping in OT. It's not really an issue. I'm not sure why this is a continued theme on this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

suddhano in Eureka, California

36 months ago

Good point. Actually, I've never had to wipe someone else's butt before. Maybe it's not such a big deal. Anyway, it is not enough to deter me from this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

TBI-OT in Merrimack, New Hampshire

36 months ago

FGT in Mauldin, South Carolina said: I had two HORRIBLE CIs during my clinicals. They are all on powertrips, especially when they are fat and ugly which both of them were.

It's true, just do what is the absolute easiest clinical in order to get out of the program. Don't feel bad if they didn't pass you. It seems like every school has the need to fail someone during the clinicals just to give some justification of needing a level of competence to function in this absolutely lame, mindless, non-science based, fake profession.

You're better than this profession, just remember that. And hopefully, you'll be able to go back to school some day relatively soon to get a job in a science based and real profession.

I hate OT and I still can't believe I wasted my time and money to change careers. Bottom line: the profession sucks.

It is unfortunate that you chose poorly for your career. That is not OT's fault. The science related to OT is as evidenced based as Pharmacology, Psychology, and Psychiatry (as well as many other medical professions), look it up. Making such bold and derogatory statements about a profession you have failed to grasp, tells more about your personality than the the field of OT.

Please move on. I would not want to refer to such a person as my colleague.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jazzyj in Frisco, Texas

36 months ago

TBI-OT in Merrimack, New Hampshire said: It is unfortunate that you chose poorly for your career. That is not OT's fault. The science related to OT is as evidenced based as Pharmacology, Psychology, and Psychiatry (as well as many other medical professions), look it up. Making such bold and derogatory statements about a profession you have failed to grasp, tells more about your personality than the the field of OT.

Please move on. I would not want to refer to such a person as my colleague.

Just because someone doesn't like their job doesn't mean they don't grasp the profession. It isn't hard to grasp the OT profession, it is not rocket science! Anyone can teach someone how to wipe their ass! Anyone can teach kids how to pronounce their sounds. And what therapists do is nothing like Psychiatry or Pharmacology, so I don't even know why you mentioned those fields as being even remotely close to the OT profession... Psychology, maybe yes! OT's, ST's and PT's are like teachers or trainers. They TRAIN! ST's train people how to articulate, PT's train people how to regain use of their injured limbs and OT's train people how to wipe their ass and go to the bathroom... So, let me rephrase your statement... "The science related to OT is as evidence based as..... TEACHING!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Richmond, California

36 months ago

JazzyJ, why even bring up the ass wiping? Is that supposed to be degrading? Is that supposed to make everyone cringe? If that's what it takes to help my patient then I will do it, no complaints no bitterness. No one needs to hear the ugly details of OT from some bitter OT flunkie on an internet forum with their own twisted perspective. It's pretty simple, if you don't like it then leave the field, it doesn't need viruses like you in it. Anyone who wants to seriously learn about OT should make an effort to volunteer, shadow, and be in contact with real OT's and ask questions. There is no benefit for a practicing OT to boost or put down the field, what's the incentive. If someone asked me I would give it to them straight, and I wouldn't be doing something I hated so much. Stop complaining and correct your own life before you try and influence others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jazzyj in Frisco, Texas

36 months ago

Jeff in Richmond, California said: JazzyJ, why even bring up the ass wiping? Is that supposed to be degrading? Is that supposed to make everyone cringe? If that's what it takes to help my patient then I will do it, no complaints no bitterness. No one needs to hear the ugly details of OT from some bitter OT flunkie on an internet forum with their own twisted perspective. It's pretty simple, if you don't like it then leave the field, it doesn't need viruses like you in it. Anyone who wants to seriously learn about OT should make an effort to volunteer, shadow, and be in contact with real OT's and ask questions. There is no benefit for a practicing OT to boost or put down the field, what's the incentive. If someone asked me I would give it to them straight, and I wouldn't be doing something I hated so much. Stop complaining and correct your own life before you try and influence others.

Jeff, you're right maybe that was degrading of me to call OT "ass wiping"... I guess I was just biting back at the people on this forum who get so snappy over somebody else giving their honest input, negative or not! The therapy professions are somewhat new and a lot of people are not really sure what OT's, ST's and PT's do. Especially OT's! I mean, if you tell someone your a Speech therapist, they are automatically going to think you work with articulation and stuttering. If you tell someone your a Physical therapist, they are going to imagine you help patients regain use of their injured ligaments or muscles... And if you tell people you are an "OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST"????? They're going to draw blanks!! So, with regards to the OT profession and anyone who's curious about going into this field... DETAILS are CRUCIAL!!! It's not to deter people away from the profession or to degrade the profession, but it is to let people know ALL of what OT's do! And if they turned down Nursing because they don't like wiping asses... They need to know that OT's do that too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Hawaii

36 months ago

Ok great, but that is NOT ALL OT's due. Actually, a very small minority of time is spent wiping butts. I would say OTs wipe butts about as much as PTs do...and yes, at my last 2 workplaces, the PTs wipe butts. It is misleading to say that, "OT is ass wiping," when that isn't what OTs do most of the time and say that you are just trying to give details and give people a balanced perspective. Go ahead, be critical if you feel like you need to be, but at least be honest. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

At the SNF I worked at, I was always wiping asses. We got so many dementia patients, that honestly needed to go to hospice, who were unable to wipe themselves. At a hospital during my field work, I was also wiping asses quite frequently. And I had a student that absolutely refused to do any toileting with their patients. (Needless to say she failed)

Rick in San Francisco, California

35 months ago

jazzyj in Frisco, Texas said: Jeff, you're right maybe that was degrading of me to call OT "ass wiping"... I guess I was just biting back at the people on this forum who get so snappy over somebody else giving their honest input, negative or not! The therapy professions are somewhat new and a lot of people are not really sure what OT's, ST's and PT's do. Especially OT's! I mean, if you tell someone your a Speech therapist, they are automatically going to think you work with articulation and stuttering. If you tell someone your a Physical therapist, they are going to imagine you help patients regain use of their injured ligaments or muscles... And if you tell people you are an "OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST"????? They're going to draw blanks!! So, with regards to the OT profession and anyone who's curious about going into this field... DETAILS are CRUCIAL!!! It's not to deter people away from the profession or to degrade the profession, but it is to let people know ALL of what OT's do! And if they turned down Nursing because they don't like wiping asses... They need to know that OT's do that too!

if you are so unhappy being an OT, then you should think about switching careers. I think being an OT is much more than "whipping butts." there is so much more you can do such as recommending assistive technologist and teaching clients how to use technological devices in order to regain function and independence. The beauty of OT is that it is such a broad field. You can get into so many different specialties or jobs. You need to stop whining about the profession and bashing the OT profession. You are such a disgrace to our profession. There are pros and cons in every profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in San Francisco, California

35 months ago

OT is a wonderful profession. Don't let the negative comments fool you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

otstudent in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

Sara in Staten Island, New York said: I think acute is not a good fieldwork setting. I'd look for SNF or rehab so you are more able to take your time to understand. Maybe you could ask for the curriculum before you go to see what the expectations are. Be clear that you had a bad experience and you need to know what is expected.

Did you do your fieldwork in Staten Island? Any recommendations?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AD in Wichita, Kansas

31 months ago

Recently failed SOTA-I passed my first LIIFW rotation at a SNF with above average score, I was my CI's first student and the facility's first student. I failed my second rotation at a very fast-paced Rehab Hospital. After my first week at the Rehab Hospital I realized that maybe the SNF did not prepare me enough. The SNF only had a handful of diagnoses/conditions that I saw at the Rehab Hospital and most of the skills I needed for the Rehab Hospital I did not practice at the SNF such the FIMs or e-stim. My CI at the SNF may have supervised me too much. Is it possible that my first rotation set me up for failure? My second rotation CI hardly seemed to realize a student would be coming that day, and everytime I had a question about something she would seem to get frustrated with me and say "go find the answer yourself." Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy finding answers on my own but time management there sucked so I didn't always have time for everything. All I wanted to do was do well and graduate, but maybe I have screwed up my chances. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

S in Naperville, Illinois

31 months ago

OTSIN in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Do not attend Midwestern University. You will be 100,000 in debt. Attend a state school! What a waste of my money and time.

I marked that this is not helpful, because you didn't say why Midwestern is a bad school to go to. Yes, it is expenseive, but not much more than Rush. It would be more helpful to hear the positives and negatives of the program and why you feel that cost should be the primary factor in choosing a school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

reality check in Mission, Kansas

27 months ago

OTs go to GRAD school for 2/3 years and make that type of money for a reason peeps!! Just to let you know! Reality check to all you pessimistic negative people. Talking trash on OT only makes you look ignorant and uneducated. So tired of that. Why don't you take the time to research it and understand what OT is first and wait, try to get into the program and finish too why don't ya and lets see how you talk then. I bet you would shut up real quick! Enough said!

Westieluv in Miami, Florida

27 months ago

I am a graduate student in an OT graduate program. My fieldwork coordinator placed me in a rehab hospital for the first clinical. I was told that the reason why I was being placed with this specific CI at this facility was due to that my CI went to the same school, is friends with the fieldwork coordinator, therefore would be easier for me. It turned out all opposite of what I was told. My CI would call in sick every week, would leave early, and showed no interest in helping me learn what I had to learn in order to pass the first Level II fieldwork. When my CI was absent which was very often, I was placed with other CI's who went on a power trip with me. One of them humiliated me in front of my client and I ended up crying in front of everyone. My fieldwork coordinator pulled me out of the internship with just 4 more weeks to go. He told me that he was going to look for another facility that was a slower pace since I demonstrated that I couldn't cope in a fast pace environment. I asked the fieldwork coordinator if there was a facility that had a"normal" pace and why did it have to be either fast or slow pace? He answered to me that the bottom line was that I demonstrated I was in capable of working in the setting he placed me in. He even suggested that I go see a counselor at school to help me gain control of my emotions since I broke down with one of the CI's I answered him by saying that the CI's I was placed with during the absence of my CI would go on a power trip with me. My fieldwork coordinator didn't buy that and simply response that I had emotional problems. It has been three months since my fieldwork coordinator pulled me out of the first internship and I have not been placed back to complete the remainder weeks of the internship. I have emailed, called, and shown up in the fieldwork coordinators office numerous times asking him when is he going to place me back. He has told me that he hasn't found any CI and site that will do him a favor of taking me in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AusSP in Melbourne, Australia

26 months ago

I'm not an OT, but a SLP (or SP as we're known in Oz), and had a similar bad experience while on student placement in an acute hospital setting. The posts in this thread are right - many fieldwork supervisors, unfortunately, like to pretend that their work is sooo difficult, and make it hard on students. I think part of it, at least in the acute setting, is these supervisors are taking out their frustrations at not being at, or even near, the top of the hierarchy in the hospital setting (i.e. doctors); so they cling on to and exert what little 'power' they actually have. SLP sure isn't rocket science, and I'm sure OT is the same.

poop in Pittsburgh is right, a good instructor will simplify a complex task, a bad one will complicate things. In my situation, my supervisor basically wasn't willing to teach me/show me how to do things at all, and expected me to know everything from day one (my first day in an acute setting). On the first day she said to me, "I think it will be quite difficult to be independent (the pass level) by the end of the placement," before I'd even seen my first patient. Fortunately, I was able to withdraw from the placement to avoid a fail, and completed a similar placement elsewhere, with good feedback from my supervisor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fieldwork Issues in Miami, Florida

26 months ago

How funny, Im an SLP-A:)

Yes, we did have similar fieldwork issues. I just don't get it why fieldwork supervisors aren't nicer with students??? Maybe because their supervisors weren't nice with them so its get back time? Well, I do know one thing, I won't be like them when the time comes that I need to supervise. Quite frankly I think its an inferior complex they have and that is why they make it impossible for students to pass the internship. Its the only time that they are in control and in power of someone who needs them to pass and move on. But changing the topic....I have good news, I finally got placed in another facility after months of waiting. Yay:))))

ot333 in Cartersville, Georgia

24 months ago

OTstudent in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Thanks for the encouragement. My confidence has gone down the tubes. I need to decide if I should face my fear and request another shot at an acute site or request the third level II in a different arena such as LTC. I really wanted the experience of acute, but am afraid I may not pass. Do you think it is wise to not get the full acute experience before the first job placement, or does it not really make a difference

Hey do you mind if i email you? I have a similar situation id like to discuss!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

OT intern in San Jose, California

24 months ago

ot333 in Cartersville, Georgia said: Hey do you mind if i email you? I have a similar situation id like to discuss!

I'm also faced with the same problem. I'm currently at an acute care in Los Angeles and my CI is not much help. I get no feedback or supervision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.