If you are an OT, OTA or Student what would you do?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

NinaNeedsAdvice in Farmington, Michigan

81 months ago

Hello - I have a dilemma and would love some advice from any seasoned OTs, OTAs and current students.

I am trying to decide if I should complete a BA in Fine Arts (1-1.5 yrs) then enter an OT Masters program for 2-3 yrs - or - Enter an OTA program (2yrs)now, then enter an OT Masters program for another (3-4 yrs).

Which route would increase my chances of getting into an OT Masters program? Gaining entrance from a nonmedical BA degree or an OTA Asso. degree? I hear the schools are very competitive, have different admission requirements and if accepted very demanding on your time.

I don't won't to have to go back to school again after this stint, I'm 36, married w/2 kids (elementary & H.S.), working part-time and currently taking prerecs with a 3.5 gpa. I want a degree in occupational therapy so I can have a flexible work schedule, help others which I find to be very fulfilling, manageable to little stress, good pay, and room for growth. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jess in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

one more thing...Being an OT is very rewarding and can be flexible, however, it is stressful, don't set yourself up for disappointment on that one, there is a reason we get paid well. I don't know one therapist who would say that their job isn't stressful, but, I don't know one that would say that they would want to do anything else. What matters is how you handle the stresses of the job. Actually, the reason I have time to write this is because I got injured on the job. I am 27, out because of a sprained shoulder! yikes! I am actually considering going into another practice setting that puts less stress on my body. So, yeah, it's great to have that option in this field. Not everyone has that. I hope my comments were helpful. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Thank You Jess,

I am currently taking prereq for an OTA program. I was trying to decide if I should finish my BA first then go for OT. I've been out of school 7yrs - choose to be home with my kids - now I'm looking at my options and wanted insight from a OT/OTA/students perspective. No offense on the seasoned comment - compared to what I know (which is little) you are seasoned! :-)

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Hi Jess

No - you're not being confrontational. Actually, your comments have helped tremendously. I hope this will explain my situation and logic a bit more.

I originally was interested in becoming an OTA and begin taking a couple of prereqs this summer. I was looking to acquire an OTA asso degree within 2 yrs but after looking at the job prospects for them in my area I begin to reconsider. After more reading and research, I decided I would persue becoming an OT instead. I was taken aback a little with the possiblity of 4-5 yrs of school and begin looking for programs that would allow me to acquire a masters of occupational therapy (MOT) in 3-4 yrs or less. I found several different 2-3 yrs MOT programs, that admitted people with non-medical and medical BAs or OTA Asso. degrees.

That is why I wanted advice on which degree (OTA Asso. or Non-medical BA) if any, would be more advantageous to me being accepted into a MOT program.

Yes, I do have credits towards a BA, that I was debating on finishing in 1-1.5yrs. I have decided I will finish my BA first then seek admittance into a MOT program, skipping the OTA program.

As stated before, from research, talking with others, your insight and other factors I have already decided I will persue being an OT and I am checking with the schools to find out what I would need to do for admittance.

Thanks Jess, and I hope that cleared things up for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OTGURu in Saint Louis, Missouri

81 months ago

Just curious how you are going to handle school, family and job. I want to pursue MOT but my family cannot manage without my current salary for two whole years. Yet if I go to school full-time and work, I will have no relationship with my kids. I am so stressed out on this and don't know what to do. The program closest to me is also very expensive--about $80,000 total. I have a very easy job right now but the pay is pathetic. Although OT is stressful, at least I can make some money and provide a good life for my kids and for my retirement. I have a masters in nutrition and I am also considering going the OTA route, then doing a long-distance weekend only MOT while still working. Unfortunately, I might be 45 by the time I take this route, whereus if I pursue the MOT directly I should be done by the time I am 38.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AlliedHealthNut in Long Beach, California

81 months ago

I'm in a similar situation. I have a BA and have been a stay at home mom for almost 4 years. I'm ready to go back to work now and have the back up help at home for the kids. I'm switching careers from marketing and have been dying to pursue
either OT or Respiratory therapy. I admit, OT is the better option and I know a much better and rewarding job. I know this first hand because my youngest had a stroke at birth and he's a right hemiplegic and he has had ot 2x/week in home since he was 6 months old and Ms. Susie comes and works with him and he progresses everyday. She may not realize it, but she makes ahuge difference in his life and ours, so very rewarding. Now most entry-level masters around here (so. calif) require the BA/BS. I think OTA will be a waste of time and your BA will make you a better critical thinker and improve on existing skills which make you better prepared for the rigors of a master's program. Try and squeeze in some OT pre-reqs in the courses needed to complete your degree, maybe as electives? Good Luck! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Thanks for your comments and encouragement. In regards to handling school, family and a job - I had a small taste of what to expect this past summer while working part-time and taking pre-recs.

I reduced my social life to attending my children's activities and a few special family events. My part-time job was very flexible and allowed me to schedule my work around school and family.
I got help with my kids from my spouse, retired parents, sister, in-laws and cousins.

OTGURu, I let my children know what I was doing, how it would effect our time together and how they could help. Kids are smart - I don't know how old your children are but I found that letting my children help me study was a wonderful way to stay connected. They would quiz me with flash cards, let me label their body parts (I took an anatomy class) and ask me questions about what I was learning. This helped me spend quality time with them, learn my class material and inspired me to do my best because they were so invested in what I was doing. Yes, it was stressful, guilt inducing and exhausting at times but it was worth it, my GPA is now 3.8 - Yea!

Best of luck to you all and thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

L. Morgan in Tulsa, Oklahoma

67 months ago

AlliedHealthNut in Long Beach, California said: I'm in a similar situation. I have a BA and have been a stay at home mom for almost 4 years. I'm ready to go back to work now and have the back up help at home for the kids. I'm switching careers from marketing and have been dying to pursue
either OT or Respiratory therapy. I admit, OT is the better option and I know a much better and rewarding job. I know this first hand because my youngest had a stroke at birth and he's a right hemiplegic and he has had ot 2x/week in home since he was 6 months old and Ms. Susie comes and works with him and he progresses everyday. She may not realize it, but she makes ahuge difference in his life and ours, so very rewarding. Now most entry-level masters around here (so. calif) require the BA/BS. I think OTA will be a waste of time and your BA will make you a better critical thinker and improve on existing skills which make you better prepared for the rigors of a master's program. Try and squeeze in some OT pre-reqs in the courses needed to complete your degree, maybe as electives? Good Luck! :)

I am in the exact same boat! I graduated with a B.S. in Business management and a minor in Marketing. I ended up working as a marketing coordinator for an oil and gas company but now the industry is tanking. I have always enjoyed helping people...I originally set out to be a physical therapist but the program is only offered as a doctoral degree (a little too intimidating at the time plus incredibly competitive). How difficult is it to go from a Marketing degree/career to occupational therapy?

Here's my dilemma...should I got back to school and get the masters degree for OT or get an associate’s degree for an OTA? I feel like if i went back and got my OTA I would be wasting my bachelors degree. The masters program is a lot more expensive; almost double. and it would require about a year’s worth of extra schooling. I need someone to help me decide.

thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

wow. umm i appreciate your honesty...but you kinda lost me about 1/2 way through with the whole "government propaganda". 1) I said the physical therapy doctoral program was intimidating AT THE TIME...18 year old girl. 2) I'm trying to get the needed skills to be a good therapist. I'm trying to do all the research I possibly can and ask around (the whole reason I'm on this site).

thanks for the advice. I'll take it for what it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

FGT in Greenville, South Carolina

67 months ago

L. Morgan,
I recently returned to school for an OTA program. I graduated and have been working for the past year or so. I would strongly urge you to read the many posts about what OT exactly is. You are basically a CNA and the focus of OT is absolutely not concrete and there is rarely a benefit to the patient. The world could do without OT and everyone would be just fine. Please consider a PTA program or nursing or some other type of health career. Believe me, I wish I had done more research. I've just walked in from the day of being an OTA and I feel like crying. A waste of 2 years of my life and there's no way I can go back to school. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

thank you so much for the response. I have an appt in two weeks to shadow an OT. A friend of mine is a speech therapist and she set it up for me. Trust me, I've asked her about a thousand or so questions. I came on this site for a fresh perspective (good or bad) so that I completely know what I'm getting myself into. I really do appreciate your honest response! thank you, it's been really helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Van in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

In my opinion I would stay far far away from occupational therapy. Just about any other career would be preferable. That is just me because OT has had a detrimental effect on my life. I am like the FGT writer above in saying this field makes me cry a lot and puts knots in my stomach. It is just not healthy to be faced with these awful situations on a daily basis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Fort Collins, Colorado

66 months ago

I think that OT definitely helps people. As a mother of a six year old with Autism, I can say that the OT that works with my child at school has done an incredible job! The interventions she has used to help his handwriting and his appropriateness in the classroom have really worked. Maybe its different in other places, but my daughter's OT has been great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

linda in Mission, Texas

66 months ago

maltilda in Arizona said: If I was an OT student at this time I would change majors so fast it wouldn't be funny. I would change to anything. I wish I knew then what I know now.

So if you don't mind.What is it you didn't know then and you know now?Please say as it would help me somehow decide what path to take.Thank you.

Glenn in Bonney Lake, Washington

66 months ago

Rudolph in Los Angeles, California said: test

So I'm preparing to enter a OTA program in January.Part of my entrance into the program is to do an observation of the OT field for a minimum of 40 hours. I also need to interview 2 OT's in different rehab settings.

I presume that you had to do a lot more than I need to do to get into a OT program. I also notice by what you have posted that you do your homework on other fields that interest you.

With that being said, how did you overlook the fact that you were not a good fit for the OT program from the begining. When deciding which profession to choose did you not trust your intuition and chose the one you were least comfortable with? Was there someone you wanted to get to know in the program? :)

I'm the type of person that cuts and runs. What i mean by that, if it's not a good fit, I'm gone. I've been reading the pre-req's to get into PT and OT.You opted for the path of least resistance. Maybe you wanted to finish school sooner.

You have determination, its obvious. You want to bash OT every day if you could.Your kicking yourself for making a wrong choice, so change your life around for the better

It's like me going thru a divorce and telling everyone I know, "dont get married,it sucks". People are still going to get married and some wont make it and others stay married till the day they die. It's you and yours alone , to find a path that makes you truly happy. It's for others to find it on their own.Food for thought

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Rudolph in Granada Hills, California said: And, Glenn - just because an OT made you feel better and boosted
your self esteem says nothing about OT's skill/knowledge base
to be considered a real health profession. Teaching you to dance
should be PT's job - or OT again overlapping in other discipline. Or,
maybe the rec. therapist or possible a dance teacher should be doing the
dance instruction. Your understanding of this field is very shallow and you'd bes
know what your getting yourself in to before diving head first into the
shallow end of the OT pool - b/c OT is just one shallow pool of
information/skills/knowledge.

clap/clap/clap/clap.....you must hear the ever ending applause and roar in your head...Kudos to you....Do you feel great?

My wife is a district manager for a pharmaceutical company. I own 3 homes (in this economy).My credit card debt is around $2000.I'm not telling you cause I want to brag, its cause I've made the right choices, like the choice I'm making about OT.

If this job is for "girly men"....then call me metrosexual....I was born with a birth defect ....I owe a lot to the people who were involved in my treatment and its now my time to pay it forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Rudolph in Los Angeles, California said: Well, maybe you owe a lot to the PTs in your life who actually did something
to help you, so your obvious choice should be PTA or PT school - real
therapy. But, instead, you'll be hearing "slap, slap, slap" in your head
after realizing what a braindead decision you made - it will be from slapping
yourself in the head over and over again. But, you're a typical
OT type - you don't know what you don't know and happy to stay that
way and live in oblivious OT Land - in your OT bubble and think you're
really doing something. Your "cut and run" approach to things shows your emotionally immaturity and little boy way of looking at the world.
Again, plan to cut and run from OT land when you find out what it's really
all about. Good thing you have a safety net and don't mind wasting
thousands on tuition and years of your life pursuing the OT "dream" so that you can worship at the OT altar with all the other devout OT followers.

If your parents were alive, how would they feel about the way you live your life?And i say i that bluntly cause i know that something happened. You said something about it in earlier post. I think it was your mom.How would she feel?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Do you have kids? Are they proud of you? Or do you live with a dog or cat? C'mon you own a cat..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

maltilda in Arizona said: I do believe Glenn is making stuff up. He is starting to sound a lot like the other boys that write in to this. I am waiting for his other identities to appear soon. You know good boy bad boy stuff. (Unless there are a lot of the same out there and that is just as scary.)

It doesn't really matter except that with so many males writing in and being that the field is 99% female it is strange. What male would want to be dominated by a woman? Actually as a female I don't like having females boss over me either but in OT you have no choice. Females can be downright nasty and back stabbing to get their way, whereas males are usually more upfront. But it sounds like in this forum the males in OT are starting to sound just like the female OTs. Don't they realize what a bunch of nonsense this all is.

There are no other identities, just me.

Maltilda are you sitting down? I agree with you on your latest post.I worked in many hospitality jobs where I was surrounded by the majority of females.Lots of drama! By the end of the day, I was the one reaching for some Midol.

So I opted for a change in scenerey and went to work in sales. I dont know if you ever lived in the North West but the general population,especially the male population, are a bunch of passive aggressive individuals. Me being from NY it drove me nuts.I need poeple to be upfront. In a traffic jam, you will never hear a car horn blow(WTF).It took me ten years and a lot of job hopping to adapt to my surroundings.

I was laid off 6 months ago from my job. I was working for higher education and my job consisted of recruiting potential students for our programs.The company I worked for acted like they cared in the best interest of the student,but it was about getting them enrolled and increasing revenue. The prior schools I worked at, had the same business model.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

cont.

The same goes for the fitness center,restaurant,hospitality, retail jobs I've had in my life. Their goal is to teach you "there way", to generate revenue.

Having 6 months off, you have a lot of time to think. I was like you ,where I hated to be belittled, back stabbed, lied to, the drama,the corporate BS. Where if someone told me my last manager got hit by a bus while crossing the street, I would have said "she should have looked both ways". It gets to you. I even lost sleep over it.

One things for certain,every job I have had,there was always corporate politics,back stabbing,female domination (LOL), idiotic personnel in general. So what the hell is a person to do? Well i wrote a book, its 5 step process to loving your job and it can be yours our for only $19.95 plus shipping and handling. heres how to order(JUST KIDDING.....I NEEDED TO THROW IN SOME HUMOR....lol)

I dont think there's an answer to having the ideal job.My step mom works as a P.A and hated the first 7 years of her career choice. My bro works as a R.N and it took him around 5. My other bro works as a Emergency Room Tech and loves every minute,but hates management. They just told me , "you need to keep moving until something is a right fit for you. So maybe the first year I get lucky or it takes several to find what works for me in OT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I think the reason why so many men are writing in about the profession is because of the recession.People are making more career changes than ever before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Rudie in Montebello, California said: Well, anyone knows that those commercial "colleges" are all about the $$ - so, that's no surprise. Sort of like a car-salesman job. But, if you think you're taking a step up in OTA school --- it's the same program you sold as a recruiter. It's all about making $$ for the schools - then just more Medicare fraud and making $$ for the corporations who hire the lowly OTAs to do their dirty work. So, it's like going from the "frying pan into the fire." For someone who claims to be so savvy about "what's up" --- you've got some learnin' do to about the real world.

I'm sorry if you are intimidated by me.I know "whats up".I have lived in more places than the cities you keep creating with a new name.If you could get away from your computer you would see what the real world is like.You have no life experiences to share, as much as you have nothing positive to say about anything. Tell me at least one of your interest or hobbies. Are you physically active or a couch potato? I bet you have all kinds of food and left overs around you computer desk.Are you that creepy neighbor? Big crowds freak you out...Am i close? And dont think your clever cause you remember a idiom your mom use to repeat when you were growing up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

maltilda in Arizona said: OK. I expected to get chewed out for saying the anti female in charge comments but wasn't. That is a good thing. I am just saying that smart people stay away from careers that are dominated by females. There are reasons men do not want to go into care giving type jobs. Mainly for the same reasons that people get severely burnt out by them. I feel being an OT is just too stressful just like being a full time care giver would be too stressful. You just get sick and tired of it.

It is a combination of boredom and stress and that never makes for a good thing. I know I repeat ad nauseum. Just trying to get the point across and figure out a way for me to go on and do something better, more worthwhile in my life. I have had a few men type jobs and will say they made more sense to me and I felt much prouder than doing this OT type of work, which just to me makes little sense.

I respect your sincerity in this post. What kind of jobs did you do in the past?I think instead of being on attack mode and coming across more like this, people would stop and take notice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Rudie in Long Beach, California said: Facts are facts - stop making excuses. No one is on the attack mode -
you're just a bit too sensitive. It's your inner girly-man side
again - got to get back in touch with your real inner man.But, you can't
do that hanging around this OT forum.

I would like to talk with Maltilda again.I really dont care for your other personalities (Rudie,Van or Don)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Steamboat Springs, Colorado

66 months ago

So it sounds like people who are fed up with OT don't enjoy doing "CNA work" like toileting, bathing, dressing, etc. So what if I worked as a caregiver doing CNA type work for the past four years? I actually enjoyed that work and found it rewarding. That is why I chose OT over PT. Will I hate my job as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

maltilda in Arizona said: Believe what you want, but I am just me. Just another person that hates my job as an OT and doesn't believe in it. Glenn I thought you were all those other nasty folks also. Still up in the air about it.

nah, just Glenn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

It's not that I "like blood and spit and gore and things like that." I simply like knowing that I am helping some one in need who is not able to do these things on their own. I certainly understand that helping people in this way is not for everyone. What ever attracted you to OT in the first place if you never were interested in helping people with everyday activities such as toileting and dressing?

66 months ago

Any thoughts Matilda? I don't care what Rudie/Jillian/Lindsay has to say.

nirvana1 in Indio, California

65 months ago

Glenn in Bonney Lake, Washington said: cont.

The same goes for the fitness center,restaurant,hospitality, retail jobs I've had in my life. Their goal is to teach you "there way", to generate revenue.

Having 6 months off, you have a lot of time to think. I was like you ,where I hated to be belittled, back stabbed, lied to, the drama,the corporate BS. Where if someone told me my last manager got hit by a bus while crossing the street, I would have said "she should have looked both ways". It gets to you. I even lost sleep over it.

One things for certain,every job I have had,there was always corporate politics,back stabbing,female domination (LOL), idiotic personnel in general. So what the hell is a person to do? Well i wrote a book, its 5 step process to loving your job and it can be yours our for only $19.95 plus shipping and handling. heres how to order(JUST KIDDING.....I NEEDED TO THROW IN SOME HUMOR....lol)

I dont think there's an answer to having the ideal job.My step mom works as a P.A and hated the first 7 years of her career choice. My bro works as a R.N and it took him around 5. My other bro works as a Emergency Room Tech and loves every minute,but hates management. They just told me , "you need to keep moving until something is a right fit for you. So maybe the first year I get lucky or it takes several to find what works for me in OT.

Is this field really female dominated? That is not a plus in my book. I often get-along better with men, and I have preferred them as a boss. I guess, I'll have to get over it.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

maltilda in Arizona said: You may like it then. I just don't care for CNA work. Never ever wanted to be a CNA and now I am doing those tedious jobs and despising it. That is probably the last job I ever would have been interested in. Also if you like blood amd spit and gore and things like that then maybe you will like this. But really if you like the toilet stuff and the dressing stuff you will love this job. And as far as billing for doing stupid stuff that is just something you have to live with though it is degrading and gives me a creepy feeling. Even doctors bill for doing nothing a lot. The whole medical system is so messed up.

Is there a lot of "blood, spit and gore" involved with this job? I never considered that factor....this forum is very educational. As I stated I'm a "sponge." OTA's don't have to tend to wounds do they?

Thank you so much for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

OT is what it is... in Los Angeles, California said: You know nothing about OT. It is mostly women - and not nice ones - they're very weird and strange - and bossy/arrogant types. Better spend some time around OT depts. before you dive in head first in the shallow end of the OT pool.

Thanks, I'm planning on iniatiating that this week. Do they allow perspective students to shadow them, with HIPPA and all?

65 months ago

OT is what it is... in Los Angeles, California said: My gosh ---- an OTA job is even worse than OT. No, there's not a lot of blood, spit and gore - that's nursing. It's just over-the-top boring and braindead - crazy and insane. You're just a pawn in the Medicare game making big bucks for the corporates who hire you and pay you the big bucks. You're forced to do fraudulent work and bill for it --- so you can get your paycheck. You've gotta get a clue ---- and wake up to the reality of this "profession."

That "reality" is not much different from pharma sales, psycho-therapist(which I was previously training for), or any other career in health "care." I find it a disgusting truth. I just wanted something rewarding to do, while living on this "backwards" planet....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tica in Springfield, Massachusetts

65 months ago

Hi maltilda, this question is also for everyone else as well. Were you able to shadow an ot to know if you would even like the job before you even think about going for school for it. I know all schools ask for x amount of hours shadowing OTs before they even except you. How did you feel when you were shadowing an OT. Did you feel the same way you felt now, but just surpassed those feeling. Did you feel like the job was for you at that time. What advice can you give on someone shadowing for OT who want to figure out if this is really for them? Look forward to an answer from an OT practicing now. Thanks!

mandy in Beverly, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Hey there!
I am an OT as well. I have been an OT for 9 years now and enjoy it. In my opinion you should definitely go the OTR/L route as it gives you more freedom to do what you want with your clients.

I have a question for you?
Why are you looking to get out of nutrition? Funny you are looking to become an OT and I"m looking to make a switch into nutrition or acupuncture. I love holistic medicine and would love to get my masters in either oriental medicine or functional (holistic) nutrition...Any advice seeing how you are already a nutritionist. I'd love to combine OT with nutrition or acupuncture..Any advise?

With regards to your concern...OT school was awesome..you should do it!

thanks!
mandy

mandy in Beverly, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Hey there!
I am an OT as well. I have been an OT for 9 years now and enjoy it. In my opinion you should definitely go the OTR/L route as it gives you more freedom to do what you want with your clients.

I have a question for you?
Why are you looking to get out of nutrition? Funny you are looking to become an OT and I"m looking to make a switch into nutrition or acupuncture. I love holistic medicine and would love to get my masters in either oriental medicine or functional (holistic) nutrition...Any advice seeing how you are already a nutritionist. I'd love to combine OT with nutrition or acupuncture..Any advise?

With regards to your concern...OT school was awesome..you should do it!

thanks!
mandy

p.s. if i can help you out in any way just let me know!

JelNun in Bronx, New York

50 months ago

Hello guys,

I am a senior inmajoring a B.S in Psychology and I am doing my internship at YAI (National Institute for People with Dissabilities) in New York in Recreational Services. I am also going to start doing my 200 hours of volunteer service in a Hospital in the department of Occupational Therapy. As for now, my GPA is 2.7 and a MOT is highly competitive here. I am undecided whether I should take the OTA first and hopefully enter into the MOT program or go and pursue a M.A in Psychology.
I am having mixed feelings and dont know which path to go. All I know is that I like psychology maybe because I am doing good in that field but I cannot find a job per say that will atract me to get into that field or maybe its because a Masters. On the other hand, I have been doing pre requisites for the Masters and I like the humanly care on patients and it is a health setting career.

I would like to know any advice based on this commentary of mine and would like to know what is the entry salary for an OTA having a B.S degree in Psychology and maybe having an online degree with an Occupational Therapy AIde certificate.? If any psychologist read this, please be free to expand my options to further expand my two likes: psychology and an allied health career.
Thank you....

inthemix in Bremerton, Washington

50 months ago

I'd become a PT or PTA, stronger lobbyists, bigger base of business, more freedom to operate independently and, everyone relates to therapy as physical therapy anyway.
My 2¢

NinaNeedsAdvice in Farmington, Michigan said: Hello - I have a dilemma and would love some advice from any seasoned OTs, OTAs and current students.

I am trying to decide if I should complete a BA in Fine Arts (1-1.5 yrs) then enter an OT Masters program for 2-3 yrs - or - Enter an OTA program (2yrs)now, then enter an OT Masters program for another (3-4 yrs).

Which route would increase my chances of getting into an OT Masters program? Gaining entrance from a nonmedical BA degree or an OTA Asso. degree? I hear the schools are very competitive, have different admission requirements and if accepted very demanding on your time.

I don't won't to have to go back to school again after this stint, I'm 36, married w/2 kids (elementary & H.S.), working part-time and currently taking prerecs with a 3.5 gpa. I want a degree in occupational therapy so I can have a flexible work schedule, help others which I find to be very fulfilling, manageable to little stress, good pay, and room for growth. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

rk in Sacramento, California

49 months ago

you have to wipe bums and bath in ot
I thought you help them do things necessary for everyday life
providing them techniques and such not doing it for them
seriously answer you guys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Iowa City, Iowa

48 months ago

Not all OTAs have to wipe butts....there are different places to be hired. Plus, if you hate your job as an OT or OTA, then quit. Plain and simple, find a different career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Responder in Loomis, California

48 months ago

There are OTs in mental health. They run groups and work and talk with people one on one. That might be a perfect fit for you. You could always get your master's in psychology online. But if you want to be a psychologist or counselor, that might require a physical attendance in the classroom or internships.

Mikelac4567 in Flushing, New York

44 months ago

If one was to complete an OT masters program, would he/she be able to find a job easily, would he/she qualify to work as an OTA to gain experience.

Suzie Que in Hawaii

44 months ago

Yes, if one were to complete an OT master's program, he/she would be able to find a job easily. And no, someone with a master's in OT would not be able to work as an OTA, they would have to work as an OT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mikelac4567 in Flushing, New York

44 months ago

Thanks for the info....I have been looking into a few different entry level graduate programs and the ones im looking at admit 30 students only?? How can they admit such a small amount?

otas in Newport, Kentucky

43 months ago

heres the one thing i have seen...PT's have a negative attitude towards OT's....it is a feeling that comes from competition, fear of the field of PT losing ground to OT (which is ridiculous)...if you read the history of OT you will find the answers to a lot of the negativity....i have MS and have worked with PT's and OT's (in therapy for mnyself) and they are two very different areas of focus....PT's concentrates more on gross motor control, core strength, balance...etc. while OT addresses fine motor skills, cognitive ability, sequencing and planning.....i hate seeing this animosity when both are actually good for the patient and it would benefit BOTH fields to lay down the attitudes and work together.....these statements (other comments listed) are not an accurate depiction....my question....why does it have to be this way? i am not wanting to be a PT, but i do understand the value of your work....just as i understand the value behind OT.....sometimes the people in the medical field are their own worst enemy....i have met more rude and nasty personalities than ever before while in medical.....i dont get it.....and PTers...you may want to rethink bashing OT b/c if they examine our importance....guess what? you are next in line to be cut....it is better to support 'therapy' is necessary....good luck

me in Federal Way, Washington

43 months ago

29-1122.00 - Occupational Therapists
www.onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1122.00
Sample of reported job titles: Occupational Therapist (OT), Registered Occupational Therapist, Staff Therapist, Assistive Technology Trainer, Industrial ...
Tasks - Tools & Technology - Knowledge - Skills

deves in Cedar Park, Texas

43 months ago

is it worth being an OT? please be honest!?

My sister just finshed her masters as a speech therapist and she was the one that convinced me to go into OT. Now, here's my dillema.

Im not exactly fresh out of high school. i have been going to community college for the past year and a half and I really screwed up my gpa due to...well no career direction and my social life seemed to be too important. Anyways, Im somewhat out of the danger zone and I have to pretty much just worry about my math now and I can get into the real nitty gritty medical stuff. im like 99.9% sure I want to go into OT. My sister told me that here in texas OT's are needed like crazy. You'll get a job fairly quickly after graduating...plus I love helping people. im sure it's stressful but what job isn't. Now, the school i am attending has an OTA associate program. Which im considering joining. Would you advice me to get into the OTA program not only to get hands on exprience, but get an overall understanding of the career, THEN go back to school and get through my OT studies?

here's my other dillema and my reason for going into the OTA program. From the research I've done it pays well for it being an associate degree.
My parents don't have money to pay for my education. And im working full time and going to school full time to pay for my education. I know its not an easy road but I've managed to do it. my sister is advising that I do the OTA for sometime. Save, then go into the OT masters. im still fairly young so time isn't a huge concern but i don't want to be in school the rest of my life. I will if I have to because I'm determined to get an education. But anyways....what would you advice me? Do the OTA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Working Hard in Monticello, Indiana

42 months ago

Hello Deves,
This is perhaps not the best place to find unbiased information. You will find either the people that really, really hate what they do and need to vent or who are reacting to those folks. I am an OTA, have been for 10 years. I was in the same type of situation, needing to find a way to support myself through my education, and did the OTA to pay for the rest. I went back and have a BS in Psychology. I am returning after all this time to complete my master's degree in OT. I have been paid very well for what I do, and I have found OT to be a remarkably rewarding career. Do we 'wipe butts'? Sure. But we do it to teach someone to do it themselves. I've worked in multiple settings, and I can tell you that the absolute worst reason to go into OT is for the money. You need to want to do the work, you need to love it, and you have to be self directed and motivated to do it well. The primary disadvantage of going for the OTA rather than straight to OTR is that you will have to work with someone 'supervising' you. As you can see from this thread, OT isn't widely understood, even by some of it's practitioners. Be prepared to educate and defend what you do. If I had it to do over, I think I would have taken out loans and gone directly into the MOT route. I was accepted into both PTA and OTA programs, and I chose OT based on my research and observations. Good luck, no matter what you choose!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Determinedgirl29 in Roselle, New Jersey

35 months ago

Hi. I'm a 29 year old married female going on 30. I would really like to continue my education, as I have a bachelor's degree in psychology. The field of occupational therapy really appeals to me because I really feel to people who have disabilities and cannot do the things other people take for granted. However, I know the cost of OT school is extremely expensive and also very competitive. My undergrad gpa isn't that impressive either. It's a cumulative of only 3.0. I would like to get into Kean, but they are way competitive and I don't know what to do. I am not working now as I am scared to pursue work for fear it might make problems in my marriage, but I would like to help my husband since he is really not making that much. What do I do? Being a housewife is fine, I do like cooking and cleaning, but I would also like to fulfill my dreams of making a difference in society and I feel OT would fulfill that. However, I know the only way I can continue my education is through loans, and there's really no guarantee you will find a job after you graduate and I don't want to get harassing phone calls from debt collectors. Please let me know how I can make my dreams a reality. I don't really have much job experience since I graduated from college so I don't know what to do about that. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

sil2012 in Miami, Florida

34 months ago

Hello,
I understand what you are going through..I'm 35 single female with a B.S. Biology (GPA 2.8)..I'm planning to go the OTA route or nursing (associate)--16months programs..I think since you are married and you need to help your husband maybe you should consider this route as well (this will help to work while going for your MOT), also keep in mind that you have a minimun gpa of 3.0 which you can apply to a masters program. wish you all the best! keep me posted:)

Determinedgirl29 in Roselle, New Jersey

34 months ago

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad I'm not the only married woman with this dilemma! I am also planning to have kids though I am experiencing problems achieving that. I am actually working with (you guessed it) a physical therapist who specialiazes with my sexual problems...(so sad I know...life isn't fair). I know getting a job now wouldn't be a possibility because there would be no way I could see the physical therapist to overcome my sexual problem so that I can achieve my primary goal of being a mother. That is so important to me. Secondary, I would like to pursue my master's and become an occupational therapist. I know I am not interested (if I successfully can have kids) to put my young baby in some daycare center or with a nanny just so I can go to work. There must be a way that occupational therapy works around married women's schedules since majority of the practitioners are female. Is it really a flexible career for women who want to support themselves while still keeping their family life intact? I think that's very important for me when considering a career, being able to maintain a balance. Also, I know as of now, there are NO online master's programs (accredited) in occupational therapy. If there were, that would certainly make life easier for me because I know my husband wouldn't be happy about me leaving the house for several hours for a master's. He would just not be supportive and say a lot of things to me like I am neglecting my family responsibilities. However, I do feel having a career is important for a woman because it gives us a sense of purpose and appreciation, something you don't get from being a housewife (I know there may be some women disagreeing there...lol). So tell me, how can I make my dreams a reality? Kean and Seton Hall are the only close by brick and mortar schools in my area, but they are SUPER competitive and I just don't think I stand a chance with a meager 3.0 gpa and little job experience after completing my BA in psychology.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.