NBCOT OTED Eligibility for Category B

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

navkaush@mail.com in Cupertino, California

41 months ago

Hello,

I started OTED evaluation in 2009 but wasn't able to complete it, so that they could have sent me ATT letter. Now NBCOT is saying that my file has been closed. Anyone having similar situation

- Does anyone has OTED Handbook or NBCOT handbook from previous years ?
- Also you can contact me if you need any help for satisfying Category B Eligibility requirements as I have gone through it completely

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Snow in north Bay area, CA in San Jose, California

40 months ago

navkaush@mail.com in Cupertino, California said: Hello,

I started OTED evaluation in 2009 but wasn't able to complete it, so that they could have sent me ATT letter. Now NBCOT is saying that my file has been closed. Anyone having similar situation

- Also you can contact me if you need any help for satisfying Category B Eligibility requirements as I have gone through it completely

Thanks

Hi I'm going through the OTED forms now (what a pain, it's been a month and i still haven't completed it). I'm Australian trained OT with bachelor degree and few years work experience. really want to work in USA.

how can I contact you to discuss the form? thank you

Kari in Oakland, California

34 months ago

I am going through the OTED application. I am having difficulty with obtaining a course syllabus for all of my courses. That was a number of years ago now...I fear my application will be turned down without these???
Any experience with this requirement?

Thanks

anticuti in Sydney, Australia

34 months ago

Im from Sydney Australia, and yes I couldn't get the syllabi from 2001 to 2004 from my uni, and therefore I can't apply for the OTED. so annoying.

Dino in Los Angeles, California

32 months ago

Thanks

I'm a BS OT graduate from Philippines, Does OTED still requires Masters degree if you fall on Category B?

anticuti in Sydney, Australia

32 months ago

Category B, you need to provide 'master equivalent' proof by showing them your syllabi from uni and research paper (or relevant research stuff) AFTER filling out that lengthy application form.

only from July 1 2013, Master degree is a MUST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lb in Oviedo, Florida

30 months ago

anticuti in Sydney, Australia said: Im from Sydney Australia, and yes I couldn't get the syllabi from 2001 to 2004 from my uni, and therefore I can't apply for the OTED. so annoying.

Did they confirm you are not eligible? I am in the same situation - from Canada.

anticuti in Sunnyvale, California

30 months ago

OTED/NBCOT didn't conform im not eligible, but without those syllabi and research papar, im sure i won't pass the eligibility test.

Canada eh, what did your uni say? They don't hold those info from the past? try to talk to higher up people in the admin or if you know any professor, lecturer, talk to them. or your uni friends, maybe they will keep a copy.

Pinay.OT in Los Angeles, California

25 months ago

Thanks

Hi,
I decided to go ahead and apply for OTED. I need guidance for I dont know how to even start the application. As for the copy of research/thesis paper, I heard that you can satisfy it by showing the Undergrad Thesis writing course with your grade in the TOR? How do you go about the process? Thanks

anticuti in Brentwood, California

24 months ago

Pinay.OT in Los Angeles, California said: Hi,
I decided to go ahead and apply for OTED. I need guidance for I dont know how to even start the application. As for the copy of research/thesis paper, I heard that you can satisfy it by showing the Undergrad Thesis writing course with your grade in the TOR? How do you go about the process? Thanks

what is TOR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

any foreign OTs recently joined this site? any luck?

I withdraw my OTED last Dec (2011), as i put in my forms in Sept 2011 but can't provide the research paper and course syllabi (as i wrote above), i got refunded the application fee minus $60 or something.

I'm applying for OT master program now in US. Yes get a master of OT degree then try OTED again..........Got my green card in Sept.

After comparing the few OT schools in my area, San Jose State Uni is the best (for foreign OTs in USA with bachelor degrees), Master of OT, online 2 year program (starts August 2012, Fall term) Cut off date is May 2013.

I applied on Oct 2, now still waiting to hear from them.

i want to find some social, disability, health related jobs in the mean time, or even babysitter jobs..... so hard, since i want part time, close to home, finish work before 4-5pm, no evening or weekends.

Laura P in Coburg, Australia

21 months ago

Hi All,
Im an Australian trained OT with a bachelors degree. Im going through the OTED process now- what a pain! How did you go with this Pinay.OT?
Im finding the Master's Comparibility form especially difficult, not sure if ill meet all of the standards!
How did you go finding jobs anticuti? Ill be in LA long before Im finished with this process so I'll be looking for similar jobs

JV in Bagumbayan, Philippines

21 months ago

^ Hi I'm a Filipino trained OT. I have also a bachelors degree in OT. I submitted my OTED applications together with the other reqts last Nov. What I did was I asked the school where I graduated to prepare all the docs needed for OTED. I received my eligiblity a month after I submitted my apps. Make sure that your school check ur docs prior to submitting it to NBCOT.

Rhiannon in Ireland. in Londonderry, United Kingdom

21 months ago

Hi, I'm Irish, and trained in Northern Ireland (U.K) and me and friend from school have recently submitted our application to OTED, (before the deadline, we only have a bachelors). We are in the process of sending our other documents at the minute! we have two other people from our class at university going through the process, they had submitted everything and heard back that they were deficient in a few of the areas, they were able to advise us of these areas and we completed courses to make this up! after completing all these courses, OTED then came back once more to tell us that we have not completed a high enough standard with regards to like anatomy/biology and what we need to do now is complete an online biology course, to university standard!! we are getting seriously stressed, before we even think about completing the exam!! Anyone going through the same thing with any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Laura P in Coburg, Australia said: Hi All,
Im an Australian trained OT with a bachelors degree. Im going through the OTED process now- what a pain! How did you go with this Pinay.OT?
Im finding the Master's Comparibility form especially difficult, not sure if ill meet all of the standards!
How did you go finding jobs anticuti? Ill be in LA long before Im finished with this process so I'll be looking for similar jobs

yes the form is a pain. so you are in LA, this won't take long, as you need to submit your form before July 1 this year, you know that?

no luck with job, i tried looking at aba therapist, there aren't many in my area. i submitted my cv to one company, didn't hear back. and i'm not keen on other $10 an hour jobs.

when did you finish your OT degree? which Aus university may I ask?

21 months ago

JV in Bagumbayan, Philippines said: ^ Hi I'm a Filipino trained OT. I have also a bachelors degree in OT. I submitted my OTED applications together with the other reqts last Nov. What I did was I asked the school where I graduated to prepare all the docs needed for OTED. I received my eligiblity a month after I submitted my apps. Make sure that your school check ur docs prior to submitting it to NBCOT.

i wish my school could do that. i paid for all the documents there are, but my uni doesn't hold any 'course syllabi', it's ridiculous.

21 months ago

Rhiannon in Ireland. in Londonderry, United Kingdom said: Hi, I'm Irish, and trained in Northern Ireland (U.K) and me and friend from school have recently submitted our application to OTED, (before the deadline, we only have a bachelors). We are in the process of sending our other documents at the minute! we have two other people from our class at university going through the process, they had submitted everything and heard back that they were deficient in a few of the areas, they were able to advise us of these areas and we completed courses to make this up! after completing all these courses, OTED then came back once more to tell us that we have not completed a high enough standard with regards to like anatomy/biology and what we need to do now is complete an online biology course, to university standard!! we are getting seriously stressed, before we even think about completing the exam!! Anyone going through the same thing with any advice?

my gosh that sounds terrible. if you read my post earlier you know my pain.

Laura OT in Melbourne, Australia

21 months ago

I graduated a couple years ago from La Trobe Uni. Where did you study anticuti? I can't believe your Uni couldn't provide that! Surely they keep that on record?
Rhiannon that sounds like such a pain! I have a feeling ill be in a similar position. There's certain standards I dont think I can meet eg. Knowing the aota code of ethics. I'm just not sure if you need to satisfy every single one

Rhiannon in Londonderry, United Kingdom

21 months ago

anticuti in Brentwood, California said: my gosh that sounds terrible. if you read my post earlier you know my pain.

It's so horrible, and I emailed them yesterday to see if they could elaborate on exactly what kind of module this needs to be and got a really crappy response. We are being sponsered by a company to go through the process then come to work for them, and our sponser has told us that they are so snowed under with applications that they aren't even answering phones, and that before the masters dealine, they recieved 10,000 applications from India alone!!! lol so I really don't know what is going to happen! Only thing is our school has been quite good, and one of the lecturers spends a lot of time over there so seems to know a bit about the OTED process, just all very stressful.

21 months ago

Laura OT in Melbourne, Australia said: I graduated a couple years ago from La Trobe Uni. Where did you study anticuti? I can't believe your Uni couldn't provide that! Surely they keep that on record?
Rhiannon that sounds like such a pain! I have a feeling ill be in a similar position. There's certain standards I dont think I can meet eg. Knowing the aota code of ethics. I'm just not sure if you need to satisfy every single one

Hi Laura, as far as I am aware we have to meet every one of the standards, be it through our degree course, or continuing education courses. I have a list of the standards we did not meet and the courses we took to make up for these. If you want I could send the list to you! our courses came to around $670, for the lot of them, however we are now waiting to hear about the anatomy/biology which could cost loads more! It's a nightmare, I don't think the aota standards was one of the courses we took, they will probably come back with that not being met either!!! However the documentation course we took I think covered the AOTA standards, not sure though!! I'm just halfway through my masters comparability too, it's a real nightmare lol!

21 months ago

I finally finished the Master's Comparibility form!! It took sooo long! I feel a great sense of achievement but at the same time, Im sure they'll come back to me with some sort of issue. Rhiannon, I would really like to see the list of standards that you didn't meet, just so I can get an idea what to expect. But I'm not sure how to exchange details on this site without giving out our details to everyone under the sun!!
I'm also worried about the time it takes to complete the extra coursework. Surely there's no enough time left before the July deadline to complete university level education?? How are you going with that Rhiannon?

21 months ago

Laura OT in Melbourne, Australia said: I finally finished the Master's Comparibility form!! It took sooo long! I feel a great sense of achievement but at the same time, Im sure they'll come back to me with some sort of issue. Rhiannon, I would really like to see the list of standards that you didn't meet, just so I can get an idea what to expect. But I'm not sure how to exchange details on this site without giving out our details to everyone under the sun!!
I'm also worried about the time it takes to complete the extra coursework. Surely there's no enough time left before the July deadline to complete university level education?? How are you going with that Rhiannon?

If you want you can email me devine-r6@email.ulster.ac.uk, i never use this email anyways, so no odds if anyone sees lol! Well we have completed like 47 hours of stuff although because we did them together one was able to do one course while the other did another one, if you know what I mean! The courses are not too difficult and although it tells you that they will take, say three hours to complete, they normally don't take that long. I am not too sure about we are going to do about the biology thing, we are willing to get it done as soon as possible when we find out what course will satisfy! It's finding something that will suffice without them coming back and saying it isn't good enough! Especially with the expense of everything!I'm sure you will be able to get the courses you need to get done before the dealine! they are online and then the certificates are just emailed to you so you can either print them or if your putting your documents on disc you can put them on! If I can manage it anyone can lol! :)

21 months ago

Laura OT in Melbourne, Australia said: I graduated a couple years ago from La Trobe Uni. Where did you study anticuti? I can't believe your Uni couldn't provide that! Surely they keep that on record?

I studied at Sydney University. I know, i can't believe it either! *_* La Trobe should be good.

21 months ago

Im not in LA yet but I'll be there in a few months. My sister and I are heading over for various reasons, including that we have American passports. And yes, I knew it would be a difficult process when I made the decision to re-locate but even if the OT thing doesn't work out, it will give me an opportunity to try something new. I've also considered doing my master's like you. Anticuti maybe you should find out what documents you need to provide NBCOT even after you've done your masters. Like you say, what if they still need course syllabi??

Rhiannon, I've emailed you:)

SP in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

Rhiannon in Londonderry, United Kingdom said: Hi Laura, as far as I am aware we have to meet every one of the standards, be it through our degree course, or continuing education courses. I have a list of the standards we did not meet and the courses we took to make up for these. If you want I could send the list to you! our courses came to around $670, for the lot of them, however we are now waiting to hear about the anatomy/ biology which could cost loads more! It's a nightmare, I don't think the aota standards was one of the courses we took, they will probably come back with that not being met either!!! However the documentation course we took I think covered the AOTA standards, not sure though!! I'm just halfway through my masters comparability too, it's a real nightmare lol!

Rhiannon,
I am Susan an OT. I am currently in US, and had applied for my OTED in Dec 2011. They got back to me in Jan 2013 with some defecits. I would greatly appreciate if you or anyone else in the forum could provide me with some ideas regarding the following. I would like to find out from you which all online courses you completed for your defecits?? I am having defecits including B 5.11 (issues related to driver rehab),B 5.13 and B 5.14 (Physical agent modalities both superficial and deep,)B 5.12 ( dysphagia), B.25,26 and 27 Plan of dischage in collaboration with the client family, caregivers etc, outcome measures,Terminate OT services when outcomes have been acheived developing summary of outcomes,appropriate recommendations and referrals,discussion with clients on post dischage needs.
(Also in relation to the biology additional credits, I think you might be able to do some online CLEP classes and exam this is college level examination programe.)

Rhiannon in Belfast, United Kingdom

21 months ago

SP in Houston, Texas said: Rhiannon,
I am Susan an OT. I am currently in US, and had applied for my OTED in Dec 2011. They got back to me in Jan 2013 with some defecits. I would greatly appreciate if you or anyone else in the forum could provide me with some ideas regarding the following. I would like to find out from you which all online courses you completed for your defecits?? I am having defecits including B 5.11 (issues related to driver rehab),B 5.13 and B 5.14 (Physical agent modalities both superficial and deep,)B 5.12 ( dysphagia), B.25,26 and 27 Plan of dischage in collaboration with the client family, caregivers etc, outcome measures,Terminate OT services when outcomes have been acheived developing summary of outcomes,appropriate recommendations and referrals,discussion with clients on post dischage needs.
(Also in relation to the biology additional credits, I think you might be able to do some online CLEP classes and exam this is college level examination programe.)

Hi Susan!

My email is devine-r6@email.ulster.ac.uk, email me and I can send you a list of the courses I took! I'm looking into the biology courses but I'm not having any joy! It is such a long winded process.

21 months ago

My Gosh, BAD NEWS. Today i got a reply from my university about the course syllabi, they said they tried to get them from my year but is not successful. They are NOW retaining syllabi for all current students. And another reply from NBCOT (because i asked, last time i applied i was missing the course syllabi. Do i still need it after i do a master program here in US?) they said YES i still need official syllabi from my bachelor degree. :o(.................... what the heck is that? after all these i can't even apply because of that syllabi? there is a shortage of OTs here in US, and I have experience, as long as i pass the OTED exam, isn't it good enough? why are they so strict about it????? and why is my school not keeping files like that? my university, psychology department, i can see their course syllabi online from many years ago!!!!!

and with the 'master compatibility form', i remembered on a phone call, i asked NBCOT's Camille, do i have to meet all these? She said no, they will want to see overall compatibility. Last time she only mentioned i'm missing course syllabi and research, not about the form. So i don't know if my form 'passed' their standard? cos i certainlly didn't meet all of those criteria on the form.

and for people who didn't have bachelor degree in OT, do they need to fill out this form too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Laura: can I have your email address please? and with the course syllabi, do you have your own copy or you asked La Trobe for it? thanks

and Rhiannon, the same question to you, where did you get the course syllabi? Thank you

Susan: I just found a guy on FB, he got his driver rehab certificate in one day. I was asking him how he did it. he did a post-prof OT master in NYU after a bachelor OT degree overseas.

I think we really need to network here...

my email wxtfeng@yahoo.com.au

thank you

LiliHenao in Tampa, Florida

20 months ago

Hi, anyone know what other alternative (from a foreign OT) can I do to work in any health field. Even if I have to go to school for a short time in florida or online. Let me know pls.

20 months ago

LiliHenao in Tampa, Florida said: Hi, anyone know what other alternative (from a foreign OT) can I do to work in any health field. Even if I have to go to school for a short time in florida or online. Let me know pls.

ABA therapist, maybe diversional therapist. disability field service coordinator.

why, you having trouble with OTED too?

LILI in Tampa, Florida

20 months ago

anticuti in Brentwood, California said: ABA therapist, maybe diversional therapist. disability field service coordinator.

why, you having trouble with OTED too?

HI, I called in January 2013 to NBCOT and they told me the deadline to apply for the OTED app is finished. They told me I need a Master. It was sad.

20 months ago

LILI in Tampa, Florida said: HI, I called in January 2013 to NBCOT and they told me the deadline to apply for the OTED app is finished. They told me I need a Master. It was sad.

as far as I know, the deadline is June 30th of this year. After that, you must have a master degree. You can't do a master degree? which country are you from? I cannot go further because I don't have my course syllabi from Sydney Uni for my bachelor OT degree.

Mary in Auckland, New Zealand

19 months ago

Rhiannon in Belfast, United Kingdom said: Hi Susan!

My email is devine-r6@email.ulster.ac.uk, email me and I can send you a list of the courses I took! I'm looking into the biology courses but I'm not having any joy! It is such a long winded process.

Hi Rhiannon
I have emailed you too requesting a list of the courses you took. I would really appreciate your help. I hope that you have been successful with your outstanding courses.

SAot in South Africa

19 months ago

SP in Houston, Texas said: Rhiannon,

Hey Susan

I had to send additional documents to NBCOT to be reviewed and I had to do the exact same standards as you had to. I sent my documents off in April and still haven't heard back yet. Have you heard a response?
I just hope its all approved. Which courses did you complete?

Regards

hjt in New Haven, Connecticut

16 months ago

Hi SAOT,

"I had to send additional documents to NBCOT to be reviewed and I had to do the exact same standards as you had to. I sent my documents off in April and still haven't heard back yet. Have you heard a response?
I just hope its all approved. Which courses did you complete?'

I was wondering what course you completed to meet b.25-27? Also does anyone know which courses would be best for :
b.5.8
b.5.9
b.5.10
b.20

It would be great to hear from anyone who had success completing courses to meet these criteria.

Thanks!

Mei in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

15 months ago

Hi, i'm working on my OTED process and stuck with B.7.8. I couldn't find the online course to study. Does anyone has the course to suggest me for this standard?
Thank you very much

kn OT in Secaucus, New Jersey

13 months ago

Laura OT in Melbourne, Australia said: Im not in LA yet but I'll be there in a few months. My sister and I are heading over for various reasons, including that we have American passports. And yes, I knew it would be a difficult process when I made the decision to re-locate but even if the OT thing doesn't work out, it will give me an opportunity to try something new. I've also considered doing my master's like you. Anticuti maybe you should find out what documents you need to provide NBCOT even after you've done your masters. Like you say, what if they still need course syllabi??

Rhiannon, I've emailed you:)

Hi Laura,
I see that you have a degree from La Trobe university in OT. I am living in the US now and have been accepted to get my Masters of OT at La Trobe. I can't decide if I should accept the offer or not because I would need to go through long process of OTED when I get back to the states in order to work as an OT here. Have any insight? Would it be worth it? Did you finally get through the process?
Thanks!
Katie

13 months ago

Mei in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan said: Hi, i'm working on my OTED process and stuck with B.7.8. I couldn't find the online course to study. Does anyone has the course to suggest me for this standard?
Thank you very much

Hi Mei, what is B7.8?
Where did you do your bachelor degree in OT?

youreabum in California

9 months ago

foreign educated BSc-OT here. No, I'm not taking up the Master's program anymore.

9 months ago

wouldn't it be nice to know who these people are going? :o)

Bryan in Niles, Illinois

7 months ago

Hi! Im a foreign student with a Bachelor Degree in Occupational Therapy and who are currently living in the US. I am planning to take an Online Program for an Entry Level Masters degree in Occupational Therapy. Can anyone suggest with less requirements?

Bryan in Niles, Illinois

7 months ago

LILI in Tampa, Florida said: HI, I called in January 2013 to NBCOT and they told me the deadline to apply for the OTED app is finished. They told me I need a Master. It was sad.

I had the same situation. I know how you feel. This new NBCOT requirement is really a pain in the a$$. Lol

Angela in Woodhaven, New York

6 months ago

Could anyone help me, which course can i do to complete oted standards
5.31?

6 months ago

Bryan in Niles, Illinois said: Hi! Im a foreign student with a Bachelor Degree in Occupational Therapy and who are currently living in the US. I am planning to take an Online Program for an Entry Level Masters degree in Occupational Therapy. Can anyone suggest with less requirements?

Hi Why do you wanna do an entry-level one? and I don't think there are entry-level online courses. Since you have a bachelor OT degree already, you should do an online post-professional program.

Kirsteen in Gateshead, United Kingdom

6 months ago

Hi , any advice how to apply for a post-professional program, what and where??thanks!

6 months ago

Kirsteen in Gateshead, United Kingdom said: Hi , any advice how to apply for a post-professional program, what and where??thanks!

there are a few across the US, depends on where you wanna go. Look at their websites for requirement and email the contact person. Mine is SJSU in California, but they are not offering the program anymore, I'm in the last cohort. I know there is one in NYU that is not online.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.