OT STUDENT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 189)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Helen in Delray Beach, Florida

93 months ago

Hello i'm a student at Miami Dade College. I was a teacher student major and i change my mind and change my major to OT. I was wondering if was a good idea changing major i don't how is the OT job outlook is promesing, i don't know if is worth it have a master in OT. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OTBoy in Irvine, California

93 months ago

Helen in Delray Beach, Florida said: Hello i'm a student at Miami Dade College. I was a teacher student major and i change my mind and change my major to OT. I was wondering if was a good idea changing major i don't how is the OT job outlook is promesing, i don't know if is worth it have a master in OT. Thank you.

Hi Helen,

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistic's Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2007 Edition, employment of occupational therapists is expected to increase much faster than the average for all occupations through 2014. (source: otility.com/Articles/JobProfiles/OT.aspx)

In addition, beginning in 2007, a master's degree or higher in occupational therapy will be the minimum educational requirement.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

same in Spring, Texas

92 months ago

I am currently a teacher and I am considering going back to school to get a MOT. I say GO FOR IT!!!! I think OT would be great. Don't teach.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bonnie in Edmonton, Alberta

92 months ago

Hey! I'm finishing my last semester of education and will graduate this December, but I'm considering taking a masters in OT afterwards. My boyfriend's going into RCMP and so we will need to move ever 3-5 years. Does anyone know how it is moving around a lot being an OT? And what does the salary increase look like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracey in New York, New York

91 months ago

Helen in Delray Beach, Florida said: Hello i'm a student at Miami Dade College. I was a teacher student major and i change my mind and change my major to OT. I was wondering if was a good idea changing major i don't how is the OT job outlook is promesing, i don't know if is worth it have a master in OT. Thank you.

Helen,

I can tell you one thing...you will not have difficulty obtaining a JOb. I am a career changer myself. I changed from art therapy to O.T and don't regret it. I am a student going into my second year at NYU. You will need a Masters because that is the AOTA (American Occupa therapy ASsoc.) requirements begining of 2007. A Masters in now the entry level positon.
There are so many facets to the O.T field. Just do what you are doing and ask questions. You can work with children to Adults in many areas. I can't began to tell you because it would take forever. O.T is worth it, especially it you love people. O.T are in demand ...I can tell you that. I will not lie...O.T course are tough,but do not allow that to detour you. Stay focused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Indiana

90 months ago

Hellen in Ensenada, Mexico said: Hi Becky,
I am studing in Canada for MOT.Do you know if I can work in the US with Canadian MOT ? It looks like you have much more jobs openings.
Please, I really need this answer!
Hellen

We need to stop letting foreign trained therapists like yourself from coming to the USA and taking American jobs. OT jobs should be filled by American therapists and assistants not foreigners. I know New York just passed a law stating it will no longer be accepting applications from foreign therapists in OT. I think this is a great law and other states need to follow suit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (74) Reply - Report abuse

J in Dumont, New Jersey

89 months ago

Donna in Indiana said: We need to stop letting foreign trained therapists like yourself from coming to the USA and taking American jobs. OT jobs should be filled by American therapists and assistants not foreigners. I know New York just passed a law stating it will no longer be accepting applications from foreign therapists in OT. I think this is a great law and other states need to follow suit.

you are nuts, no offense. NY passed a law that that prevents hospitals from hiring foreign trained OTs from getting jobs? Yeah right, if it is then it would go for every health professional there is. NY is not dumb enough to do that. Look, I do not like how illegal immigrants just come here and don't pay for their dues but if you come here legally, it is fine with me especially that they are helping people. My mom is a nurse from another country and damn pretty good one a lot better than most nurses I've known. She has a lot of experience in the PI and the USA, thank you very much and very good at her work especially in NEW YORK's orthopedic hospital for more than 15+ yrs! No way in hell, they would pass a law like that, in which is completely bias and discriminatory especially when they paid their dues to get here LEGALLY and LITERALLY! What do you want, wait till an American student graduate from OT school and then see a pt not get the appropriate tx he/she needs ON TIME!! Either way esp with the shortage of OTs and certain health professionals' positions, the really good foregin trained health professionals will never EVER STEAL THEIR JOBS and MY MOM NEVER STOLE ANYONE'S JOB, IF ANYTHING SHE EARNED IT like everyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hellen in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico

89 months ago

Thank you J.!
I did not want to answer to this person Donna because it is pretty much useless to try to explain something to the people who have already divided the world in two parts .I am not shure how she treats foreign patients as well.But this is a free country and just do not take such words to heart.I am proud of your mother.I can imagine it was not easy for her...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Indianapolis, Indiana

89 months ago

Hello Hellen- I am from Indiana as well and want to let you know that everyone in Indiana is not as closed minded as Donna. So do not fear that if you ever find yourself working in Indiana Hellen. Good luck to you, as a job should go to those who are most qualified. I wish people would remember we are ONE world. If you are willing to work in the US legally and pay to help support this country than more power to you! I think some of us may need to brush up on our history, specifically how this country became what it is today....do you think US citizens just dropped from the heavens? We are all immigrants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Destined Woodard in Flossmoor, Illinois

89 months ago

i cant wait to becoame a ot i really cant its a great career im Destined for greatness

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elena in Juarez, Mexico

89 months ago

To RickCOTA
Yes,I understand how you feel.I am also sorry for these people.Just do not judge to broad, I mean, the thing that the OT/PT therapists you know are like that does not mean that the rest of the world foreign to you is like that.Everybody is different.And yes Asians are very reserved when it commes to be a part of a team. However the reason that they are working in the States is that there is shortage of OT and PT therapists.They just take a chance but sometimes fail to adapt to a new environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RickCOTA

89 months ago

Elena in Juarez, Mexico said: To RickCOTA
Yes,I understand how you feel.I am also sorry for these people.Just do not judge to broad, I mean, the thing that the OT/PT therapists you know are like that does not mean that the rest of the world foreign to you is like that.Everybody is different.And yes Asians are very reserved when it commes to be a part of a team. However the reason that they are working in the States is that there is shortage of OT and PT therapists.They just take a chance but sometimes fail to adapt to a new environment.

There were many COTAs in this field at one time but the influx of foreign OTs has taken many jobs away from COTAs. How would you feel if Americans came to Mexico and took all the jobs away from Hispanic OTs. There are many COTAs like me that did not get jobs or lost jobs to a foreign therapists because they agreed to work for the same salary as a COTA. Corporate bureaucracy and greed from Rehab companies is what lead to a decline in American therapists, not interest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya in San Jose, CA

89 months ago

I have to agree with RickCOTA. It has become very difficult here in California for COTAs to find work because of all the foreign therapists from Canada and Asia. When PPS was passed into law, me and my husband found ourselves out of work with two children to clothe, feed, and provide housing for. However, the foreign therapists at our facilities were allowed to stay on because they could do evals and accepted the same salary as Assistants. I mean, come on, what company would not take advantage of this. COTAs and PTAs were brought into the system to make up for the shortage of OTs/PTs in this area and it should continue to stay that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shnoobie in Woodbridge, New Jersey

88 months ago

Tonya in San Jose, CA said: I have to agree with RickCOTA. It has become very difficult here in California for COTAs to find work because of all the foreign therapists from Canada and Asia. When PPS was passed into law, me and my husband found ourselves out of work with two children to clothe, feed, and provide housing for. However, the foreign therapists at our facilities were allowed to stay on because they could do evals and accepted the same salary as Assistants. I mean, come on, what company would not take advantage of this. COTAs and PTAs were brought into the system to make up for the shortage of OTs/PTs in this area and it should continue to stay that way.

I am sorry to hear that. but if you want to be able to compete with the situation then why not be an OTR and not just be satisfied with being a COTA? they didn't and aren't stealing your jobs. they came here legally and are paying taxes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Portland, OR

88 months ago

Why should someone be an OTR if they are happy being a COTA. I have to agree... no more foreign therapists. Most countries out side of the USA have laws that keep foreigners from taking their jobs... why should the USA be any different? COTAs where brought into this system to make up for the shortfall in OTRs, so why should it change. They need to start letting COTAs do evals and have the OTR co-sign them like they do weekly's... what's the difference Eval/Weekly... it's all the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

min in Miami, Florida

88 months ago

donna that commment you made about foreign therapists is not very professional and narrow minded. i cant believe someone who is in a career field where helping people would say such a thing. you might need to check where your values are and how its affecting patients and others around you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

shnoobie in Woodbridge, New Jersey

88 months ago

Bob in Portland, OR said: Why should someone be an OTR if they are happy being a COTA. I have to agree... no more foreign therapists. Most countries out side of the USA have laws that keep foreigners from taking their jobs... why should the USA be any different? COTAs where brought into this system to make up for the shortfall in OTRs, so why should it change. They need to start letting COTAs do evals and have the OTR co-sign them like they do weekly's... what's the difference Eval/Weekly... it's all the same.

Actually it's not the same.
There's a reason why COTA's can't do evals. And if you think otherwise, then bring it up to your supervisor or bring it up to the OT Council.
COTA's where brought in because of the shortage of OTR's.
And that's also the reason they hire foreign-trained OTR's, because of the shortage of US-trained OTR's.
It's not like the foreign-trained OTR's stole your jobs. It's never yours to begin with. Unless they hire foreign-trained COTA's because their rates are way cheaper, then that's the time you say that your jobs are being stolen from you.

I'm sorry you feel this way. But you make it sound like foreign OTR's don't have the right to work here, when they all came here the right way and went through all the process to be able to work here legally. They spent so much, like lawyers fees, license fees, visa fees.

They have every right to be here as the locally trained OTR's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Ocala, Florida

86 months ago

Hellen,
I am not sure what the requirements are to work in the US with a Canadian MOT but I can tell you that we are desperate for OTs here in Ocala, FL. It is a small town with lots of horse farms but still boosts lots of restaurants and other activities and is about one hour from Orlando, FL. My sons both go to OT and we really need more here-check it out here-please!
Karen

Hellen in Ensenada, Mexico said: Hi Becky,
I am studing in Canada for MOT.Do you know if I can work in the US with Canadian MOT ? It looks like you have much more jobs openings.
Please, I really need this answer!
Hellen[/Q

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hellen in Juarez, Mexico

86 months ago

Thank you! I will!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Naomi in Melbourne, Florida

84 months ago

Karen is right. All over Florida there is a desperate shortage of OTR's, COTA's, PT's, and PTA's. Most therapists here are trevellers, working in 3 month stints that leave the facility with a high turnover, poor carryover, and less respect for the rehab department. Many foriegn trained therapists will commit to a year, especially if the facility sponsors them for a green card. In the last 5 years, there aren't any skilled therapists that were US trained that couldn't easily find a job in Florida, no matter what their specialty is. Everyone was hit when PPS hit. I joined the ARMY as an OT because I couldn't find work. But now it's time to move on, and stop blaming others. Any therapist, foriegn or native, that wants to work is welcome in Florida. I work near Cocoa Beach and I'm hiring all levels of all disciplines for a SNF.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in Savannah, Georgia

83 months ago

Hello all..
i am a little affraid of posting this with all the 'foreign' comments and things... i promise you all, i am extremely qualified to work in the US and have jumped through way too many hoops to make it happen... and i am still doing my research to make sure the whole process runs smoothly.
I am looking for a CANADIAN OT who has recently (or not so recently) gone to the US for work. There is a lot of info out there reguarding the process but I just want to hear about it from someone who has gone through it.
As for the close minded people who have been making the thoughtless comments.. I hope that one day you understand that we are not here to 'steal' jobs.. rather we are here to help people like YOU.. and maybe even your parents and grandparents... haha.
have a wonderful day everyone no matter where you are from
jonathan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

OTdude in New Jersey

83 months ago

RickCOTA said: There were many COTAs in this field at one time but the influx of foreign OTs has taken many jobs away from COTAs. How would you feel if Americans came to Mexico and took all the jobs away from Hispanic OTs. There are many COTAs like me that did not get jobs or lost jobs to a foreign therapists because they agreed to work for the same salary as a COTA. Corporate bureaucracy and greed from Rehab companies is what lead to a decline in American therapists, not interest.

Exactly Rick, you said it yourself...corporate and greed influences this tend you don't like. SO DON'T BLAME the foreign-trained therapists! I am an American-born Filipino-descent OT who studied at NYU. Your comments along with Donnas are ignorant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Naomi in Orlando, Florida

83 months ago

In my facility, there are 2 travelling OTs, 3 staff COTAs, 1 foriegn trained staff PT, 1 staff PTA, 1 travelling PTA, and we are sponsoring 1 foriegn trained OTR to replace a traveller. If we could hire any full time staff PTs, PTAs, or OTRs, we would. We don't need COTAs, they are the only fully staffed discipline. We also are hiring 1 travelling SLP. Our benefits and salary are great, so I don't know where you are, but there certainly is a shortage here. We are soliciting overseas by need, not preference or greed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

BK in Jupiter, Florida

83 months ago

I am a teacher actually looking to go back to school. I just sprung across this website trying to find more information on OT. I have to say that I am kind of surprised how unprofessional some of you are about that whole foreign thing. I have never even heard that brought up until now. I've been told from everyone I have observed that they are always looking for qualified OT's. I could see being disappointed if we had a ton of illegal immigrants taking OT jobs for underpay, but seriously, do you think that is happening? I highly doubt that. I teach with people that are Spanish and that speak other languages and they are some of the best teachers I know. If they are qualified, hey they deserve the same. I think it's unfair to compare "illegal immigrants" to anyone that's foreign.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ineke in Odense, Denmark

83 months ago

Hi Karen,

I'm a student from Belgium and I'm doing my internship in Denmark for 3 months. After these 3 months I'm graduading. I'm looking for more experience in a foreign country to discover what's the meaning of OT and what an OT means for her patients (in an other country). I have plans to do the mastersdegree but I do need more experience. So why not in another country. You're still looking for OT's in Ocala FL?
Please let me know.
Ineke Willems

Lisa in Bentonville, Arkansas

82 months ago

Naomi in Orlando, Florida said: In my facility, there are 2 travelling OTs, 3 staff COTAs, 1 foriegn trained staff PT, 1 staff PTA, 1 travelling PTA, and we are sponsoring 1 foriegn trained OTR to replace a traveller. If we could hire any full time staff PTs, PTAs, or OTRs, we would. We don't need COTAs, they are the only fully staffed discipline. We also are hiring 1 travelling SLP. Our benefits and salary are great, so I don't know where you are, but there certainly is a shortage here. We are soliciting overseas by need, not preference or greed.

I am an OTR relocating to FL. Any ideas about where to relocate to? I have experience in pediatrics, hands, and ortho-rehab.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Naomi in Melbourne, Florida

82 months ago

Lots of opportunities throughout Florida. Pinellas county has major needs for OTs, in Geriatrics mainly. Pediatrics I'm not as sure about, but in the schools and in home care there seems to be a need. There are so many places everywhere. You need to decide what you want to focus in on. Geriatrics you can go anywhere, pay is higher than peds. Hospitals somewhere in between. Hands, if you are a certified hand specialist than that's probably the best paying. Outpt adult rehab can vary from clinic to clinic.
For a f/t OT in a nursing home pay ranges from $30 to $40 on average an hour, depending on where in Florida you are. I'm south of Cocoa Beach. Pay not as good as by Tampa or Clearwater, but less expensive to live here, and less crowded. You can always take a travel position for 13 weeks, try out an area before you commit to it. My company has internal travelers, you are considered a f/t employee but can travel from site to site, decide how long at each site, both in Florida & all over the US. Good Luck.

Ineke in Odense, Denmark

82 months ago

Naomi,

First of all thank you for the good advise. The pay doesn't really interest me. I' m doing this for the experience. You talked about the travel position... that sounds lovely. Have you got any references, adresses where i can arrange this?

greetz ineke

Pily in Jamaica, New York

80 months ago

Naomi in Melbourne, Florida said: Lots of opportunities throughout Florida. Pinellas county has major needs for OTs, in Geriatrics mainly. Pediatrics I'm not as sure about, but in the schools and in home care there seems to be a need. There are so many places everywhere. You need to decide what you want to focus in on. Geriatrics you can go anywhere, pay is higher than peds. Hospitals somewhere in between. Hands, if you are a certified hand specialist than that's probably the best paying. Outpt adult rehab can vary from clinic to clinic.
For a f/t OT in a nursing home pay ranges from $30 to $40 on average an hour, depending on where in Florida you are. I'm south of Cocoa Beach. Pay not as good as by Tampa or Clearwater, but less expensive to live here, and less crowded. You can always take a travel position for 13 weeks, try out an area before you commit to it. My company has internal travelers, you are considered a f/t employee but can travel from site to site, decide how long at each site, both in Florida & all over the US. Good Luck.

Hi. I am looking to relocate to Orlando FL. Can anyone recommend a good agency? I would like to work in home care (Early Intervention). Also, how much an OTR in home care makes in Orlando? Here in NY we get $65 to $70 per half an hour. I know I will be getting a big cut but how much I don't know. Please give me some suggestions. Thank you

NyInterestOT in Elmhurst, New York

80 months ago

Tracey in New York, New York said: Helen,

I can tell you one thing...you will not have difficulty obtaining a JOb. I am a career changer myself. I changed from art therapy to O.T and don't regret it. I am a student going into my second year at NYU. You will need a Masters because that is the AOTA (American Occupa therapy ASsoc.) requirements begining of 2007. A Masters in now the entry level positon.
There are so many facets to the O.T field. Just do what you are doing and ask questions. You can work with children to Adults in many areas. I can't began to tell you because it would take forever. O.T is worth it, especially it you love people. O.T are in demand ...I can tell you that. I will not lie...O.T course are tough,but do not allow that to detour you. Stay focused.

TraceyInNY,

You must almost be done with the OT program if you are in the second year. As a current student at NYU may I ask you what you think of the program overall besides being challenging? Is the incoming class each year really about 50 students? Overall do you like it? Anything you dislike? I am looking into the program at NYU since I am already there as undergrad and Suny-Downstate and was just interested in students' opinions who are currently in those programs. I also made the decision switch careers. I would greatly appreciate any feedback at all. Thanks.

Hellen in Juarez, Mexico

80 months ago

I am a second year OT student in UTEP,Texas.We were 18 students, now, after Anatomy course just 9 of us are left.So, yes, programm is VERY challenging, especially for those with families and after 30.
But go for it anyway.Just do not relax during first two semesters.
Best wishes

Heather/Cole Therapy Center in Dallas, Texas

80 months ago

Hellen in Juarez, Mexico said: I am a second year OT student in UTEP,Texas.We were 18 students, now, after Anatomy course just 9 of us are left.So, yes, programm is VERY challenging, especially for those with families and after 30.
But go for it anyway.Just do not relax during first two semesters.
Best wishes

Hellen,

When you are graduating? We are looking for Spanish Bilingual OTs in Houston.

mandy in Davis, California

80 months ago

hi I'm thinking of going back for my masters in OT. You guys think they'll still be OT jobs in two years since the economy is so bad

Steaven in Taipei, Taiwan

78 months ago

mandy in Davis, California said: hi I'm thinking of going back for my masters in OT. You guys think they'll still be OT jobs in two years since the economy is so bad

Hello Mandy,
The enconomic depression just begins!!It's hard to a nice job such as OT.Although it's kinda boring and dry .But it's still suitble to someone who wants to have more time to themselves.After a lot of hard time job,i do love work in OT. ^^

Mimi in Honolulu, Hawaii

78 months ago

Hi all,
Speaking of economy... Do you think a MLT (Medical Lab Technician) would be a better major/career than OT to go for?
I am having a hard time choosing an OTA or MLT major. MLT seems harder academically (lots of Chemistry and Bilogy and so on) and the OTA program seems more fun (has an art/crafts element)... but at the end, which one will withstand the coming storms of the economy? Which major would you chose?

liberty OCCUP THER (HONS) in Parow, South Africa

78 months ago

so did u wind up going for the masters

manpreet in Antelope, California

78 months ago

yes I did, I start my masters program this august. I figured education will be a major factor in who has the job and who doesn't?

manpreet in Antelope, California

78 months ago

well best of luck, I think getting a higher education is the best decision one can make, financial and every other sense. btw what will you be doing as a paediatric neurology, also keep me posted, my email is preetkaur83@yahoo.com.

judy in Secaucus, New Jersey

78 months ago

I have been seriously thinking about a career change from RN BSN to OT to specialize with children...then again I am also thinking about Psychological counseling like LCSW, but I think I'll have better paying job being an OT..plus there is a psychological aspect I think...any advice?

Heather/Cole Therapy Center in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

In Pediatric OT, there is always a strong behavioral piece. It will be easier to get work as an OT than a LCSW. We are a pediatric group and behavioral diagnosis here is pretty indepth. Lots of ADD/ADHD, Autism spectrum, etc.

Future OTam in Kernersville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Mimi in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Hi all,
Speaking of economy... Do you think a MLT (Medical Lab Technician) would be a better major/career than OT to go for?
I am having a hard time choosing an OTA or MLT major. MLT seems harder academically (lots of Chemistry and Bilogy and so on) and the OTA program seems more fun (has an art/crafts element)... but at the end, which one will withstand the coming storms of the economy? Which major would you chose?

As a grad student going for a degree in OT and as a lab assistant working in a hospital lab with many MT/MLTs I am familiar with both careers. They are totally opposite. If you love patient contact and using lots of creativity backed by theory based methods to help others, choose OT. On the other hand if you shy away from patient contact and like working with machines and calculations behind the scenes all the day then go for MT/MLT. As far as school a MT/ MLT degree is not incredibly hard to achieve if you like sciences (which u REALLY should if you want to do well in this field) OT deals with science too just ina different way. Good luck, try shadowing them both, you will find that they are totally different.

judy in Jersey City, New Jersey

78 months ago

thanks...I was a school nurse..developed tennis elbow...i am 47 yrs old, i excel best in one on one interactions, been thinking of OT since 2/08...took a Meyers Brigg test-says I am an INTP..introverted, intuition,thinking, perceiving...OT is on the career list..I know that i am analytical,,,my question; i've heard that OT's have to be creative...can you give me an example...thanks once again..I do enjoy working with children!

Geycha in San Antonio, Texas

77 months ago

I'm an OTA looking to become an OTR, does anyone have any advice for me? Or know of any schools that shows preference to OTA's?

D'back in Portsmouth, Ohio

75 months ago

judy in Jersey City, New Jersey said: thanks...I was a school nurse..developed tennis elbow...i am 47 yrs old, i excel best in one on one interactions, been thinking of OT since 2/08...took a Meyers Brigg test-says I am an INTP..introverted, intuition,thinking, perceiving...OT is on the career list..I know that i am analytical,,,my question; i've heard that OT's have to be creative...can you give me an example...thanks once again..I do enjoy working with children!

An example of the type of creativity you will need as on OT would be:

Instead of having an arthritic client, (who might very well be on a tight budget), buy utensils that are "built up" (larger handles for easier gripping), you may use some of the empty pill bottles that most people with arthritis tend to have and "build up" the utensils using them.
Just one example...simple, yet effective!

D'back in Portsmouth, Ohio

75 months ago

Geycha in San Antonio, Texas said: I'm an OTA looking to become an OTR, does anyone have any advice for me? Or know of any schools that shows preference to OTA's?

Go to either the AOTA website, or to the NBCOT website. Both have a list of schools that offer the MOT programs. As far as schools showing preference to COTA's, I know of none. However, there may be some schools out there that, because you are a COTA, might let you take some of the courses on-line. Good Luck!!!

Heidi Shryock

75 months ago

Hi Helen,
I place SLP's, CFY's, COTA's and OT's nationwide. We have more opportunities then Therapists!! If you know of anyone looking please let me know.

Heidi Shryock
ProSearch Resourcing
heidi@prosearchresourcing.com

Ilene in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

74 months ago

I own a pediatric private practice in Davie Florida and am looking for an OT to work part time per diem with children and adolecents with all types of disabilities...please contact me if you are interested or know anyone who might be...thanks Ilene eneli@aol.com or irotman@languagelinktherapy.com.

Lara in Liverpool, United Kingdom

74 months ago

Donna in Indiana said: We need to stop letting foreign trained therapists like yourself from coming to the USA and taking American jobs. OT jobs should be filled by American therapists and assistants not foreigners. I know New York just passed a law stating it will no longer be accepting applications from foreign therapists in OT. I think this is a great law and other states need to follow suit.

I really do think you need to re look at your law again... at the end of the day its not up to you who decides to work in USA look up BAOT O.T's can work anywhere in the world and you do not need a master's sweetie i have just got a job in a NEW YORK

Lara in Liverpool, United Kingdom

74 months ago

Lara in Liverpool, United Kingdom said: I really do think you need to re look at your law again... at the end of the day its not up to you who decides to work in USA look up BAOT O.T's can work anywhere in the world and you do not need a master's sweetie i have just got a job in a NEW YORK

Plus to part of your professional conduct includes that you respect other peoples views from various ethnic minorities i would diffently not like you to be my O.T if youre that highly qualified youd get a job but obviously not. Stop blaming other people and take a good look at yourself and your morals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Adriana in Belo Horizonte, Brazil

72 months ago

Naomi in Melbourne, Florida said: Karen is right. All over Florida there is a desperate shortage of OTR's, COTA's, PT's, and PTA's. Most therapists here are trevellers, working in 3 month stints that leave the facility with a high turnover, poor carryover, and less respect for the rehab department. Many foriegn trained therapists will commit to a year, especially if the facility sponsors them for a green card. In the last 5 years, there aren't any skilled therapists that were US trained that couldn't easily find a job in Florida, no matter what their specialty is. Everyone was hit when PPS hit. I joined the ARMY as an OT because I couldn't find work. But now it's time to move on, and stop blaming others. Any therapist, foriegn or native, that wants to work is welcome in Florida. I work near Cocoa Beach and I'm hiring all levels of all disciplines for a SNF.

Hi Naomi,
my name is Adriana, I am from Brazil and this year (July) I will graduate in O.T.. I really want to have an experience abroad, as an O.T.. But it has been very hard to find a place to help me with that. Could you help me? I had worked in U.S. before, but never as an O.T.
Hope you or anyone that is reading this message can help me!!
Thanks,
Adriana

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.