OT vs. RN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 148)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Katielynn in Long Beach, California

97 months ago

What do you think is a better career option?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cindykeaton in Indiana

97 months ago

Both are great options and pay off well in the end. I would never recommend one over the other- They are quite different lines of work. In the beginning RN's are giving 90% hands on patient care in most cases-care to sick and sometimes chronically ill patients. OT's on the other hand are providing therapy service to recovering surgery patients, stroke patients, outpatients etc-most are not chronically ill or unable to take care of themselves (ie: bathing, bathroom, eating etc) like those RN's are caring for. I would suggest talking to counselors within each program you are looking at to assist in your decision. good luck to you in your endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

Thanks. What why besides becoming a CNA would be a good way to see if nursing was for me? I was thinking if want to be a RN I would become a lvn first?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

jess in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

97 months ago

I have been a practicing OT for 2 years in a acute care hospital setting. Have you ever volunteered? That was a requirment for admission to my school. I volunteered for 1 week here, 2-3 months there, in different settings. I also called facilities and asked if I could shadow a practitioner for an afternoon or day, when I was exploring different health care professions, i.e. nurse, respiratory therapist, and OT. Ask them about working conditions, shift requirements, what they like and don't like, etc.,,I knew immediately what the right choice was for me. Learning about the OT programs at prospective schools also helped solidify my decision. I highly suggest doing what I described above. They are 2 majorly different fields and you need to figure out which would be a good fit for you, one is not better than the other, one will be better for you than the other. I work closely with nurses and I say to myself, "I could never do what they do." And guess what?! They say the same thing to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

Yeah I have shadowed OT. I don't think I shadow nurses. I would have to become a CNA and can't do that because I go to school full-time and work. What do you like and dislike about OT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

jess in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: That's a pretty broad question...in general, I like the stability, the option to change what I am doing completely without having to go back and earn a degree, i.e. go from working in the hospital to working in schools with kids, it pays well, but after working a while you think, man, they don't pay enough for what I do, but I'm sure many people would say that about their jobs. It's a very rewarding field, helping people, you learn a lot about life and about yourself. I like that I have a lot of good benefits, a lot of paid time off, continuing education,etc..,, What I don't like...it can be stressful, learning how to leave stress at work at the end of the day, it can be physically and emotionally taxing at times, I have to work 1 out of 6 holidays in the year, and I have to work 1 sat. or sun. a month, if not more on occassion, finding out that health care is a business just like any other, so it's hard to see how "business" affects real people that are sick and need help. I hope that answers your question. I generally really like what I do and I don't anticipate ever leaving the field.

Thanks that answers my question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cviken

96 months ago

I am an OTR/L and my husband is RN.

I have better pay, less physical work, setup up my own treatment plan, I don't deal w/ blood and vomit much. Hands down I would be an OT over RN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (95) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

lindsaylynam in Baltimore, Maryland

94 months ago

WASHINGTON/OREGON OT/PT
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST - Home Health
Responsible for delivering preventive, corrective, and restorative care using a broad range of rehabilitative techniques. Responsible for exercising the initiative to adapt current methods of practice to the home setting and to teach patients, families, other professional and para-professional personnel appropriate rehab programs. Will supervise the therapy assistant (COTA) when appropriate. Will work within the scope of professional practice regarding judgment, skills, education and experience. Must be a graduate of a University accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association with a BS or MS degree. Must be a Registered Occupational Therapist in the State of Oregon/Washington and possess a valid OR/WA Driver’s License. Should be familiar with acute care, orthopedics, and neurologic patient treatment procedures. One to three years Home Health experience preferred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

HmongOT in Saint Paul, Minnesota

91 months ago

jess in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: That's a pretty broad question...in general, I like the stability, the option to change what I am doing completely without having to go back and earn a degree, i.e. go from working in the hospital to working in schools with kids, it pays well, but after working a while you think, man, they don't pay enough for what I do, but I'm sure many people would say that about their jobs. It's a very rewarding field, helping people, you learn a lot about life and about yourself. I like that I have a lot of good benefits, a lot of paid time off, continuing education,etc..,, What I don't like...it can be stressful, learning how to leave stress at work at the end of the day, it can be physically and emotionally taxing at times, I have to work 1 out of 6 holidays in the year, and I have to work 1 sat. or sun. a month, if not more on occassion, finding out that health care is a business just like any other, so it's hard to see how "business" affects real people that are sick and need help. I hope that answers your question. I generally really like what I do and I don't anticipate ever leaving the field.

Hey Jess in Philadelphia,

Its not often that I would come across an OT who liked their job. I'm a new grad stuck in a facility all by myself with a PTA and a COTA. I've been feeling down and especially after reading the posts on this forum. Its nice to hear that there are OTs who like their jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rob R in Holbrook, New York

90 months ago

I am unsure abiut RN or OT i already have my masters in health care administration and my LNHA licence, what option RN.OT would be better for me with my background
robert r

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

DM-RN in Los Gatos, California

85 months ago

This is an interesting discussion. I have been considering a move to OT from being and RN.

I've been an RN BSN for 18 years. I've been out of direct patient care due to child rearing for around 10 years. I have had a few part-time jobs in utilization review, pharmaceutical clinical trials and hospice.

I've been trying to re-enter direct patient care in a hospital setting the last few years but have been told I need a RN refresher course. There are no RN refresher courses in my area so I've come to the conclusion that I need retraining if I want a meaningful career in direct patient care.

OT seems like a good choice for me because I'm very interested in working with older adults to maintain independent living and prevent falls. I think OT would allow me more time with patients doing what I'm interested in. Also I think OT would be a better choice as I approach retirement age. I only 42, but If I have to retrain I want to be physically capable of working in the new field until I'm in my late 60s.

I'm currently working on arranging volunteer or observation hours in an OT setting. I'm sure some direct experience would be helpful.

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California

85 months ago

Jillian J ex-OT, why do you waste so much time scaring people away from OT? Let them find out for themselves if its the right choice or not. I'm sick of reading every post and you have your "words of wisdom" posted everywhere. I'm pretty sure if this person is looking into OT, then they probably have read every post on here. Don't assume everyone is stupid because they want to become OTs and you left the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Jillian J ex-OT in Phoenix, Arizona said: I'm convinced now that OT is the job for you - you have the personality that fits perfectly for the job - so go for it! Don't pass go, don't collect $200, just dive in feet first and be the best OT out there.

BTW, it's none of your d*** business what I write on this forum - this post wasn't addressed to you - so get over it!

Oooo, some one needs a nap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Arvada, Colorado

85 months ago

I will have to say that I love being an OT! I love the hours, the flexibility, the patient care. I enjoy learning about my patients life and assisting them in returning home. Jillian, I'm not sure what you are talking about Dr.'s not respecting us. I just don't see your point. My fellow coworkers and I get ton of respect by Dr's. They are always ordering our services for contracture prevention, incontinence training, pain management,etc.. Katielynn, OT isn't always doing a specific ADL, sometimes it's treating other things to get the patient able to do what's important to them. I love the variety of education I have received and personally I would not have chosen a different career!
Good luck Katielynn...and remember what ever decision you choose...you will always find a Jillian.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Jillian J ex-OT in Phoenix, Arizona said: Correction: Try, "someone" - not "some one." Case in point - all potential OT students desperately need to brush up on their fourth-grade grammar skills.

And you have the morals of a magot, intelligence of a mushroom and personality of a dung beetle. No wonder you don't work in OT anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Carrie in Arvada, Colorado said: I will have to say that I love being an OT! I love the hours, the flexibility, the patient care. I enjoy learning about my patients life and assisting them in returning home. Jillian, I'm not sure what you are talking about Dr.'s not respecting us. I just don't see your point. My fellow coworkers and I get ton of respect by Dr's. They are always ordering our services for contracture prevention, incontinence training, pain management,etc.. Katielynn, OT isn't always doing a specific ADL, sometimes it's treating other things to get the patient able to do what's important to them. I love the variety of education I have received and personally I would not have chosen a different career!
Good luck Katielynn...and remember what ever decision you choose...you will always find a Jillian.

I agree with you here, there is always going to be someone who hates their job and someone who loves it. Jillian is just full of hot air and I think it's funny to piss her off. Anyone looking into OT as a potential career should listen to their own heart, not someone like Jillian. It's about what you want to do and the only person who can decide that is you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Jillian J ex-OT in Phoenix, Arizona said: You're so brilliant. Just follow your heart (not the facts) right over the cliff!
Since you're not an OT, you really don't have an opinion about the subject - so, button it up!

I would love to push you off a cliff. Maybe if you had a heart, you wouldn't be so jealous of mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Just so you know OT's can do a lot about incontinence, pain management, etc. Have you ever heard about continuing education? I don't know if you are being honest or just putting out nastiness for the heck of it.
Maybe you don't like OT Jillian because you couldn't measure up. Yes there is some over lap between OT and PT. So what!
I can't spend any more energy on you Jillian. Good luck to you. I hope you find some happiness in your future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Newington, Connecticut

85 months ago

Jillian, if you don't mind my asking... What is it that you do do, now that you're no longer an OT?

PS... Your 'fradulent' is correctly spelled 'fraudulent', if we're going to get nitpicky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rooney in East Elmhurst, New York

85 months ago

Katielynn in Long Beach, California said: What do you think is a better career
option?

RN hands down! The salary is comparable to OT and great job security also there is little to no corruption whereas the field of OT is tainted with unscrupulous administrators who expect you to put your hard earned license on the line for their gain! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

oooooh God! You need some serious mental help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Carrie in Arvada, Colorado said: I will have to say that I love being an OT! I love the hours, the flexibility, the patient care. I enjoy learning about my patients life and assisting them in returning home. Jillian, I'm not sure what you are talking about Dr.'s not respecting us. I just don't see your point. My fellow coworkers and I get ton of respect by Dr's. They are always ordering our services for contracture prevention, incontinence training, pain management,etc.. Katielynn, OT isn't always doing a specific ADL, sometimes it's treating other things to get the patient able to do what's important to them. I love the variety of education I have received and personally I would not have chosen a different career!

Thanks Carrie! I decided to go with OT months ago and I am working on my applications now. I am very excitied about OT. Jillian find some help please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Katielynn in Cerritos, California

85 months ago

Jillian J ex-OT in Phoenix, Arizona said: Typo - should be "implanted."

You seriously need to get a life Jillian.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Rooney in East Elmhurst, New York said: RN hands down! The salary is comparable to OT and great job security also there is little to no corruption whereas the field of OT is tainted with unscrupulous administrators who expect you to put your hard earned license on the line for their gain! Good Luck!

RN hands down!? You might want to type in "I hate nursing", into your search engine. Because their are plenty of nurses who will disagree with you that nursing is the better choice. Nurses put there license on the line with heavy patient loads, adminstrators riding their backs and dealing with hateful patients. Also go to the nursing forum on here and I think you will be surprised. Also keep in mind the schools that are turning out so many nursing grads, I fear that in the near future nursing will be flooded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Jealous Jillian...what is your deal? Did you get fired from being an OT or something?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I was comparing nursing to OT and I am quite aware of many nurses out there who hate what they do for the same reasons many on this thread have mentioned about OT. Dealing with patients who often have a variety of health issues and throw the family members and physicans into the mix can be wearing and the burnout rate is quite high as in OT but the point I was trying to make it that there is far less corruption in nursing.
Let me ask this question to all.....Do you know many OTs that are in their 50's and still working as therapist? In NYC we see very few.....where do they go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I know OTs working in their 50's. I don't know many nurses working in their 50's for that matter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

The majority of the OTs I work with are over the age of 45 years old. We have a facility of about 7 full time OTs and 5 part time OTs.
I know lots of OTs that decide to work in the school settings because it is less stress on their backs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

JJ have you thought about being a high school grammar teacher? Since you enjoy correcting everyone's grammatical errors so much. LOL (laughing out loud just for your info JJ).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

It amazes me just how nasty this blog has become we all musr accept the fact that there is negative in the OT profession which goes without saying and maybe the corruption is worse in some areas than others. I don't doubt that OT can enhance many patients lives but at the same time we must admit that it can also be a strain on our medicaid/medicare systems due to unnecessary treatments. We should be concerned due to the fact that we all will be in our sixties one day and will be depending on this system to be there for us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

C in Lebanon, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Jill u need to chill.. n ya im writtin dis like dis to piss u off.....

u sound like half the nurses I work with everyday....they bring down a patient from the unit and leave and go smoke....patient codes, nurse nowhere to be found....nice

and no im not a ot im a cnmt

point im makin.....there are good ppl in healthcare and ppl in it for the money....it goes that way for every position

like it or not healthcare is a bizness now

get over it lifes to short relax....leave work at work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

zilam98 in Cleveland, Ohio

85 months ago

i am currently working as an OT and i'd be damned by the corruption in this supposed to be healthcare "profession". i wholeheartedly agree with rooney and jillian. i am being manipulated to do "creative documentation" just to support unnecessary treatments to feed the facility and my employer but then burdening medicare/medicaid. before i came here to work, i already dreaded the details of the job. still, i had to come here to serve my time to justifynursing is definitely a more honest profession. maybe more labor intensive, but definitely less tainted.

for any of you looking into the rehab field, why not go with Speech Therapy? you would never have to lift patients, rarely deal with having to buy stuff for your patients just coz your facility wont. and you simply do your stuff just chatting or probably doing some swallowing mgmts. the most skilled would have to be PT. the PTA would be less daunting, and requires less schooling as well. i sure wish i had taken up PT or ST back then.

if you want to be in the medfield but not as stressful, why not med technology? if i were to choose, i'd rather work in a medfield that deals with animal care. animals are more straightforward with their care, do not require "creative documentation" and you help people emotionally, especially those who love their pets deeply.

when im done with my contract, i'd probably go back home and do something more earnest, even though i may be dirt poor. i've helped my family enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

My more recent experience has been more positive than negative. Sure in the past, I have ran into RSMs who wanted to push that certain low level patient to Ulta minutes, but I didn't do it, And I never got fired for it. Plus, if I felt like I was working in a building where therapists judgement weren't being supported ...then I quit and found a better place to work.

All I can say is if a company asks a therapist to do things that are unnecessary, it is our right and our license to say NO, "it's unethical". Go find somewhere better to work. The system can't change if we don't put our foot down and say no more. "it's not right".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Carrie in Denver, Colorado said: My more recent experience has been more positive than negative. Sure in the past, I have ran into RSMs who wanted to push that certain low level patient to Ulta minutes, but I didn't do it, And I never got fired for it. Plus, if I felt like I was working in a building where therapists judgement weren't being supported ...then I quit and found a better place to work.

All I can say is if a company asks a therapist to do things that are unnecessary, it is our right and our license to say NO, "it's unethical". Go find somewhere better to work. The system can't change if we don't put our foot down and say no more. "it's not right".

in this day and age of dour economy, with possible medicare/medicaid cuts coming, i'd be lucky to find an employer or work place that wont make me do creative documentation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

zilam98 in Cleveland, Ohio said: in this day and age of dour economy, with possible medicare/medicaid cuts coming, i'd be lucky to find an employer or work place that wont make me do creative documentation.

The move somewhere else....because there are places that won't ask you to do things you aren't comfortable doing. The only thing I have been asked to do is to make sure that I document why there is a need or why the person still needs therapy. My notes aren't anything special, but I've never had anyone say anything about them.
In this day in age things are difficult...but there is such a need out there for OTs, you shouldn't have difficulties finding a new place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

heatherr1976 in Berlin, Connecticut

85 months ago

I will be starting my M.O.T. in two weeks. I am changing careers from the aviation industry which has gotten worse over the last few years with no end in sight. I have felt quite enthusiastic, but I am concerned about the talk of budget cuts to medicare and medicaid and with some of the comments made on this site. Is there any talk or concern of health care reform invalidating OT as a profession or of insurance, medicare/ medicaid not reimbursing OTs? Very worried... it feels like I jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. If anyone has any ideas/ perspectives or info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... Also... my area of interest is primarily in the psych area. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aaaa in Jamaica, New York

85 months ago

Jillian J in Phoenix, Arizona said: Let me rewrite your sentence to clarify:

OTs get more pay "than"(not then) RNs, work less and have a lot of time off in comparison to RNs who work too hard but remain unrespected by other doctors.

First of all, OTs are not paid more than RNs, in many cases less - do your homework in that regard. If both are full time with benefits, then they both have equal amount of vacation, holiday, sick time etc. per the facility guidelines. RNs may work any shift on a 24/7 schedule, and especially the least desirable shifts if new grads, but they change in time with seniority.

Excuse me, but RNs are much more respected by doctors than OTs, hands down. They're the doctors right hand and have the responsibility of following doctor's orders, a big responsibility rendering a lot of respect.

Yes, they they work much harder than OTs, but it's honest and respectable work and they earn their money, unlike the many OTs out there who are involved in fradulent billing practices to make money for the big corporations. It's much better to earn a honest salary and work harder than vice versa.

why do you have to sound so bitter in your statement? pay for ot and rn depends on geographic location. OT requires more education so typically they might get a higher base salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Jillian J ex-OT in Phoenix, Arizona said: Also, you should check, but I've heard that OT is declining in the psych. field. If so, I'm sure because of reimbursement issues. You should contact some OTs in some psych. facilities in your area and inquire about future hiring prospects.

jillian:

what made you say that OT in psych field is declining? i have wondered about that because of the statement of one OTR in an SNF with a lock down psych unit. she said that they dont pick up the pts in the psych unit for purely behavioral managements as medicare/medicaid doesnt reimburse for such.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Miami Panther in Miami, Florida

84 months ago

I am starting my MOT program this coming fall and I am also having doubts about the OT career. This is because of the healthcare reform. There are many issues that are of great concern for OT's, and other medical providers (e.g. doctors, nurses, RN's, etc). From what I undestand, the healthcare reform could positively affect or negatively affect different areas of OT services, due to the medicare/medicaid changes proposed by the Bill. I am highly concerned with this issue, since I have a family. The whole enchilada is that the entire healthcare system will be affected by it, not just OT's. The other day I went on the AOTA website and the OT legislators claim that it is much easier for the Healthcare Bill not to pass versus passing the Bill. As we all know, that this healthcare Bill has brought lots of attention because it brings positive and negative changes to America. These changes are the ones we fear most, which includes, more economy downfall, less job availability, increase in taxes, and salaries will also be affected. We the people, can't do much now, everything is in the hands of the house and the senate. Good luck to all of you and lets all hope for the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Jillian in Phoenix in Arizona said: Just something that I heard - can't remember from where but, sounds as though from what the OT said about Medicare/Medicaid not reimbursing for behavioral mgm't, there may be some changes in reimbursement for OT psych. in other areas. It's something to check out if you're thinking about a change of venue.

BTW, did you know that SII (Sensory Integration Int'l) has folded/dismantled - had a law suit for financial mismanagement. I was SIPT certified - very expensive and time consuming - and another big waste of OT time. I tried - gotta give me credit!

havent gotten that certification, but i remember loving it back in college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica. in Lufkin, Texas

83 months ago

I’m 18 years old and I think it’s ridiculous how grown people act! I just quit the hair school I got a scholarship to, because I didn’t feel like I would make any money in that business. I’m caught in between becoming an OT or RN. My sister-n-law is and RN and hates it. She says it hard work and she doesn’t like the long hours she works one bit. On the other hand, here to become a RN you only have to go to college 2 years, I like that. But, I feel like I would be happier being an OT even though it takes longer. I love helping people and feel I would be happy doing it as a career. So, I’m going to do what I want to do and not listen to any of the BS that SOME people on here have to say. I just wanted to get my word out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jennivee in Leesburg, Florida

83 months ago

Wow, I've been considering a career change and OT, and then I watched that video. Why on earth would I need a Master's degree to teach people how to "go green"? And yoga? What's with that? Why not just go to the gym? It doesn't look like that girl is helping patients at all. In fact, it looks like that video was made so that people will pay USC a lot of money to become occupational therapists. Or, maybe it was made so that prospective students will not be scared off the real work of helping maimed people learn how to bathe and dress themselves again? If I wanted to teach people how to eat right, why wouldn't I become a dietician? In fact, I think I'm going to start researching dietetics. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lp in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

Rooney in East Elmhurst, New York said: It amazes me just how nasty this blog has become we all musr accept the fact that there is negative in the OT profession which goes without saying and maybe the corruption is worse in some areas than others. I don't doubt that OT can enhance many patients lives but at the same time we must admit that it can also be a strain on our medicaid/medicare systems due to unnecessary treatments. We should be concerned due to the fact that we all will be in our sixties one day and will be depending on this system to be there for us!

WOW, I am in OT school and I am so upset! I do not like school and now I know why!!! My professors act just like ya'll!!!!!! I AM OUT OF HERE!!!! WHAT IS OT ANYWAY?!?!?!?

What a waste of money...I wish I could get it all back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KDogg in San Mateo, California

81 months ago

Jillian J in Phoenix, Arizona said: Let me rewrite your sentence to clarify:

OTs get more pay "than"(not then) RNs, work less and have a lot of time off in comparison to RNs who work too hard but remain unrespected by other doctors.

First of all, OTs are not paid more than RNs, in many cases less - do your homework in that regard. If both are full time with benefits, then they both have equal amount of vacation, holiday, sick time etc. per the facility guidelines. RNs may work any shift on a 24/7 schedule, and especially the least desirable shifts if new grads, but they change in time with seniority.

Excuse me, but RNs are much more respected by doctors than OTs, hands down. They're the doctors right hand and have the responsibility of following doctor's orders, a big responsibility rendering a lot of respect.

Yes, they they work much harder than OTs, but it's honest and respectable work and they earn their money, unlike the many OTs out there who are involved in fradulent billing practices to make money for the big corporations. It's much better to earn a honest salary and work harder than vice versa.

I think it is pretty fraudulent, no slanderous to say that OTs are involved in fraudulent billing practices. I agree that OTs do not make more money, but the other things you said are just slanderous attacks with no evidence. Most OTs don't even work for big corporations. I have much more class than to disrespect RNs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

lp in Houston, Texas said: WOW, I am in OT school and I am so upset! I do not like school and now I know why!!! My professors act just like ya'll!!!!!! I AM OUT OF HERE!!!! WHAT IS OT ANYWAY?!?!?!?

What a waste of money...I wish I could get it all back!

How can you say there is much negativity in OT based on this forum? please. I have read some pretty negative comments from nursing in this forum. Also, if you do not know that our profession (OT) is valuable than you haven't taken a closer look. Helping someone to survive a stroke is very valuable and depends on many professions, nurses, doctors, CNAs, etc. However, teaching someone how to dress themselves again, brush their teeth again, eat again, drive again after a disability is just as valuable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Vanilla in Wilmerding, Pennsylvania said: Here is the clincher. Everything that an OT does can be done by a nursing assistant. What an RN does cannot be done by an OT or CNA. They just do not have the training. An OT cannot give an injection. They are not allowed to or know how to give out meds. OTs are trying to pretend they are something but nobody knows what that is. I am an OT and do not know and wish I had a career that was different.
I dare anyone to name something an OT does that cannot be done by nursing assistant. (Besides bill for OT)

Doing something for someone is not the same as retraining someone how to do something. OTs are trained in neuroanatomy, physiology, biomechanics, etc. Can CNAs or RNs diagnose and treat cognitive and perceptual deficits after head inury? NO. Can CNAs or RNs evaluate for sensory dysfunction in children with autism and provide Sensory integration therapy? NO. Can CNAs or RNs evaluate and treat autonomic dysreflexia? NO. I don't pretend to know how to hang an IV or give injections. I don't pretend I can do things that RNs can. I would never disrespect a nurse, why do you feel the need to disrespect an OT when you don't know everything they do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Fort Collins, Colorado

81 months ago

Most of the OT bashing comes from YOU. ONE PERSON! Albeit one person who pretends to be many people. One person's experiences a truth does not make. I'm sorry you feel that you have wasted your career, but many OT's do not feel this way. I'm sorry, but their opinion is just as valid as yours is, no matter what you say. As much as you complain about OT's having no common sense, you don't have much common sense either. WAKE UP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Fort Collins, Colorado

81 months ago

Oh come on. It is so obvious. Stop pretending and just post under one name.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I am totally separate from Jillian but I must say that I do share much of her views toward OT.
My hope is that I can reach many folks who are leaning toward OT hopefully they will read some of the comments here and have eyes wide open I only wish that I was war

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Rooney in East Elmhurst, New York said: I am totally separate from Jillian but I must say that I do share much of her views toward OT.
My hope is that I can reach many folks who are leaning toward OT hopefully they will read some of the comments here and have eyes wide open I only wish that I was war

TYPO....warned

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.