OTA or OT program?!?!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Neal in Denver, Colorado

34 months ago

Hello,

I currently have a BS in Marketing and my MBA and am 29. I have realized for awhile that business is not the route I want to take and will make me happy over the next 30 years. I started volunteering at a hospital to get my feet wet in the healthcare industry. I am not interested in pursuing nursing or the business side of healthcare (want to make a different hands on). I have considered OT or OTA. Do any OTA classes transfer over to OT programs down the road? I live in Denver and the nearest OT program is at CSU over an hour away and not sure I want that commute right now unless its the right decision.

Does anybody have experience beginning as an OTA and working their way to become an OT? It looks like I will have 6-8 pre-req courses to take before even beginning my 2 year OT program. Any information would be great! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janean in Sacramento, California

29 months ago

Hello, I realize this post was 4 months ago and there were no responses to it. I'm wondering if you found answers elsewhere? Because I am also curious as to whether the courses you take as an OTA can transfer into a Masters, to potentially make the masters a shorter period of time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

FelipeOT33 in Sacramento, California

29 months ago

Hi, I am a recent OT grad. You cannot redeem OTA program credits for OT program credits. They are completely separate programs. Everyone gets to enjoy the same sleepless nights from beginning to end. Some admissions may suggest that prior OTA experience might give you an edge, but entry into the OT program is pretty level and I saw no favoritism. All that matters is that you complete the necessary preqs. Good luck on what you choose. OT is an awesome field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Janean in Sacramento, California

29 months ago

FelipeOT33 in Sacramento, California said: Hi, I am a recent OT grad. You cannot redeem OTA program credits for OT program credits. They are completely separate programs. Everyone gets to enjoy the same sleepless nights from beginning to end. Some admissions may suggest that prior OTA experience might give you an edge, but entry into the OT program is pretty level and I saw no favoritism. All that matters is that you complete the necessary preqs. Good luck on what you choose. OT is an awesome field!

Thanks for your response! Where did you graduate from? I'm really torn on whether just to go for OTA or to accept I will be in debt for awhile and go for OT

29 months ago

Janean in Sacramento, California said: Thanks for your response! Where did you graduate from? I'm really torn on whether just to go for OTA or to accept I will be in debt for awhile and go for OT

I went to Touro University Nevada. It was a good program and I highly recommend it. I do not know much about OTA, but I can try to sell you on the idea of OT. I chose OT to have the freedom to do evaluations and intervention planning. OT programs are expensive because we a hold professional science degree. The average debt in my class was about 90K to 110K. However, compare OT to costs of PT, nursing masters and physician assistants... all these programs are generally the same price and we all make about the same money. Now for income.... both my fieldwork educators make over 100K per year. A majority of OTs determine their own income on where they work and the hours they want to put in. As a new grad, I am getting offered around $45 to $50 per diem and full time at 75K to 80K. I have a friend who does home health at $90 per hour. No one will ever give you a direct dollar amount because salary can ranges with experience, specialty and certification. All in all...the education will pay for itself. I am not worried about my debt because I created a budget and lifestyle to manage my debt. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

janda in Oakland, California

29 months ago

Janean,

I too was considering the COTA route since it seemed that programs were a lot more flexible for working while going to school and COTAs "could" potentially make almost as much as OTs. I spoke with a program director of a COTA program and she said that while an OTA program is a much cheaper route, if one can get into and afford to get their Master's, she said that they should go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

FutureOT in Boise, Idaho

29 months ago

@FelipeOT33, I just applied to Touro's program yesterday, along with ISU, University of Washington, and A.T. Still. How long ago did you graduate and what did you think of the program? Also, what were your stats when applying, if you don't mind me asking of course?

FelipeOT33 in Long Beach, California

29 months ago

Hey FutureOT,

I graduated in May and finished my final rotation in June. Touro was a great program. The faculty stay true to their open door policy and return emails within minutes. The school is also small enough that we can get tutors from other programs. Having a D.O. tutor for neuroanatomy was awesome. I applied to other schools and chose touro because I had a great interview, friendly atmosphere, and genuine support of the staff. On paper Touro seems expensive, but the cost of living is dirt cheap in Henderson. I paid $350 per month to rent a room. Touro is also a two year program which saves some dollars in the end. I however do caution you that a two year program is academically challenging, especially with Vegas in your backyard. Haha. We all did just fine.

I can give you my academic stats, but truthfully each candidate was unique in their own way. We ranged from liberal art majors to premed. People logging 2000 hours of volunteer experience to the required 40 hours. As long as you hit the basic requirements you'll be fine. What does matter is the difficulty of the school you took your prereqs, your authenticity as a person and passion/love for the field. Schools try to guess at the type of therapist you'll be. Good luck with your application process!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

FutureOT

29 months ago

FelipeOT33 in Long Beach, California said: Hey FutureOT,

I graduated in May and finished my final rotation in June.

Wow, great feedback! And I like that they aren't just looking for one particular type of person. I got an e-mail this morning inviting me to fill out their supplemental application. Any idea what the chances are of getting an interview after that point?

29 months ago

FutureOT said: Wow, great feedback! And I like that they aren't just looking for one particular type of person. I got an e-mail this morning inviting me to fill out their supplemental application. Any idea what the chances are of getting an interview after that point?

Congrats on the email. They are inviting you to take the next step! The interview process is pretty much standard as long as you meet all the "on paper" requirements. I applied in Dec and had an interview Feb. Just remember that at this point they want to get an idea of who you are as a person. They don't care about what you did (it's on the paper in front of them). Talk about your passion and what you will do as an OT. Crack a few jokes and have fun. Most of my interview was spent talking about sports, rehab, and awkward moments during volunteering. haha.

FutureOT in Boise, Idaho

29 months ago

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I get invited to do an interview.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.