Occupational Therapy and Age concerns

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

William in Ankeny, Iowa

15 months ago

I am 50 years old. I was laid off from my teaching position 2 years ago. I haven't found a job since ---- other than subbing. I am looking for a career change.

I was a CNA back in college. I should have gone the healthcare route, but I wanted to be a teacher at the time.

Anyway, what is the age pre-req for a 50 year old male as a OTA?
I will probably be sitting in class with 20 yr old women. I may be out of place.
So what is the OTA field like compared to nursing? I need a solid income, bring skills to the table, and enjoy it.
How long can I work in this field before I drop dead of old age? lol just kidding. Seriously, how long can an older male continue working in the OTA field? WHat is it like? I hope it is like being a CNA because I actually enjoyed it.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

maie in Carrollton, Texas

15 months ago

William,
Age should not be a bar to your desire to pursue health care careers. If you have the will power you will have a way...I say go for it.I am in my 40's looking to switch to heath care field...I have been laid off from ENGINEERING ,have not been able to find a job for 2.5 years.God bless you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

William in Ankeny, Iowa

15 months ago

Good point. I am just concerned about my age, the student debt load of $28,000 to go back to school, and wondering if anyone will hire me at 48 years old.
Don't want the student debt hanging over my head. As a teacher I have student loans. Yet, no job either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.