Occupational Therapy School- Survey on Preparation for Level II Fieldwork

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Creole Soul in Maryland

15 months ago

Good afternoon,

I am currently a 2nd year OT student and am conducting an unofficial survey for information on preparedness for Level II Fieldwork. The reason why I am conducting this survey is because many of my fellow classmates (from my school and other schools) have said they did not feel they were prepared at all for their respective fieldworks.

Additionally, some current OTs, with whom I have spoken have stated that many of the OT schools are not preparing their students for fieldwork and are setting them up for failure.

The survey is only 10 questions long and you can complete with anonymity and all informational will be kept confidential.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Here is the link to complete the survey. (For OT students or current OTRs)

www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZDKWHH3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sophie in Denton, Texas

15 months ago

Hi Creole Soul

I will go to OT school this fall. I've read some posts said in OT school they mostly teach theories. Is it true? Since you are a 2nd year student and have your personal experience in OT school, would you mind tell me your experience? Regarding the survey, do you feel the same way? How important is reading and writing skills for an OT? Do most of the assignments in the school are writing papers? Thanks

youngbrOT in Jersey City, New Jersey

15 months ago

Hi Sophie,

I am not a second year student but as a first year I can tell you a bit about how OT school is( at least, the academic portion). In short, yes and no. While some classes such as intro to OT theory and psychosocial class heavily emphasize theory and writing(being mostly abstract), other classes such as neuroscience and clinical medicine will obviously be more concrete( as they require much more memorization and regurgitation of information). In my opinion, I enjoy the concrete classes as they are much easier to me and require less clinical reasoning and application. However, the foundation of OT in general is pretty much based on all theory( you will learn about PEOP and MOHO). Honestly, I dislike how much theory is applied in OT, as there is not enough "evidenced based practice", but I guess that comes with the territory of OT being an "emerging field". Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sophie in Denton, Texas

15 months ago

youngbrOT in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Hi Sophie,

I am not a second year student but as a first year I can tell you a bit about how OT school is( at least, the academic portion). In short, yes and no. While some classes such as intro to OT theory and psychosocial class heavily emphasize theory and writing(being mostly abstract), other classes such as neuroscience and clinical medicine will obviously be more concrete ( as they require much more memorization and regurgitation of information). In my opinion, I enjoy the concrete classes as they are much easier to me and require less clinical reasoning and application. However, the foundation of OT in general is pretty much based on all theory( you will learn about PEOP and MOHO). Honestly, I dislike how much theory is applied in OT, as there is not enough "evidenced based practice", but I guess that comes with the territory of OT being an "emerging field". Hope this helps.

Thanks you! But is theories a very big portion of what is being taught in OT school? Can I say 60%..

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.