Paying For Grad School (Occupational Therapy)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

sean egan in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

Hey, Im a senior and looking into going to grad school for occupational therapy. I have heard that there are a lot of companies and organizations that will pay for grad school if you agree to work for that company for a certain amount of years after you graduate. Does anyone know of any companies that offer this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

prnscz in Pensacola, Florida

59 months ago

Try a hospital in your area. Most hospitals in rural areas or areas where most people would not like to work offer this. Do you have an idea of the city/state where you would like to work after finishing school? If you know then google hospitals in that area and then look on their career page many list that they will either reimburse you for up to 10,000 towards student loans after you complete school or they will cover for up to two years of schooling (books,lab fees, equip, etc). If you don't see it on the website then try calling and speaking with HR.That's where I began, I plan to apply to USA in Mobile, Alabama in the fall for school. West Florida Hospital in Pensacola, FL offers what they call a therapist scholarship and they cover all of the expenses for up to 2 years and I have to sign on to work for them for 2-3 years after I finish school. Just start there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

You can search under loan forgiveness programs or loan forgiveness programs for occupational therapist. You may have to work in a not so nice place (area of town) but you only have to do it 2 to 3 years and then you are free to work wherever you want. Feel free to contact me or e-mail me and I can help you with finding a place that will offer it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

prnscz in Pensacola, Florida said: You can search under loan forgiveness programs or loan forgiveness programs for occupational therapist. You may have to work in a not so nice place (area of town) but you only have to do it 2 to 3 years and then you are free to work wherever you want. Feel free to contact me or e-mail me and I can help you with finding a place that will offer it.

For example Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital in Lincoln,IL offers a grant program that will pay up to 20,000 for you to attend school, but you have to agree to work for 3 years. Hope this helps. I found this just by googling hospitals in IL and then clicking on their website, then careers and benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

OT Hopeful in Mountain View, California

44 months ago

Does anyone know if any hospitals in the SF Bay Area (closer to south bay) that will pay for a 2-year graduate program in return for 2 or 3 years of employment post graduation? I am reluctant to take on a hefty school loan.

Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nad in Miami, Florida

44 months ago

I plan to go to Barry University (Miami) over $60,000 dollars tuition/books.. Help :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sean Slovik in Melbourne, Florida

43 months ago

nad in Miami, Florida said: I plan to go to Barry University (Miami) over $60,000 dollars tuition/books.. Help :-)

I graduated from Barry's OT program back in 2008. When all was said and done, the total was closer to $70,000.

While the loan payment each month is killer, the pay off is still worth it. You'll graduate with a choice of jobs. The paycheck will be GOOD-mostly likely VERY GOOD. You won't be following the unemployment benefits extension debate like the rest of America. You'll be working steady, and actually making a differnce in other people's lives.

Just once you start Barry, don't give up no matter how tough it gets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nad in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

43 months ago

Thanks Sean... I deferred my application for this Fall.. which I got accepted.. so hopefully they will accept me again for next year.. Thanks again ...I wanted to read something like this.. I definetely won't give up..which area of OT are u working now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Nad in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Thanks Sean... I deferred my application for this Fall.. which I got accepted.. so hopefully they will accept me again for next year.. Thanks again ...I wanted to read something like this.. I definetely won't give up..which area of OT are u working now?

I work part time at a SNF and also, part time at a Long Term Acute Care (LTAC) Hospital. I don't know if I could take either one full time. Both have their happy days, but both have sad days also. At least the stress is spread about a little. LTAC hospital care has a greater learning curve, but I learn a great deal each day I walk in there.

But for now, keep studying and be sure to get in to Barry next year. Don't put it off. Getting back to school we be your best pay out ever, esp in this financial times. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mommys1stlady in Cleveland, Ohio

40 months ago

Would you have to pay for your first semister first and then use the money they give you for the next semister and so on.

prnscz in Pensacola, Florida said: Try a hospital in your area. Most hospitals in rural areas or areas where most people would not like to work offer this. Do you have an idea of the city/state where you would like to work after finishing school? If you know then google hospitals in that area and then look on their career page many list that they will either reimburse you for up to 10,000 towards student loans after you complete school or they will cover for up to two years of schooling (books,lab fees, equip, etc). If you don't see it on the website then try calling and speaking with HR.That's where I began, I plan to apply to USA in Mobile, Alabama in the fall for school. West Florida Hospital in Pensacola, FL offers what they call a therapist scholarship and they cover all of the expenses for up to 2 years and I have to sign on to work for them for 2-3 years after I finish school. Just start there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nad in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

36 months ago

Sean Slovik in Melbourne, Florida said: I work part time at a SNF and also, part time at a Long Term Acute Care (LTAC) Hospital. I don't know if I could take either one full time. Both have their happy days, but both have sad days also. At least the stress is spread about a little. LTAC hospital care has a greater learning curve, but I learn a great deal each day I walk in there.

But for now, keep studying and be sure to get in to Barry next year. Don't put it off. Getting back to school we be your best pay out ever, esp in this financial times. Good luck.

Hi sea, I got accepted to Barry University. I'm going to start this Fall...Thanks for your advise..

36 months ago

BARRY University for Me

Likes: The schedule fit me. I was older (39 when I began), so was everyone else in my class. They really pushed research which I liked, even did some myself. Heavy emphasis on promoting critical thinking-which has helped me more with life in general.

Dislikes--Had to drive 3 hours each way to school and back every other weekend for over two years. Had to be assertive in finding some of my own fieldwork. Never really felt like I was a part of the campus student body (we were there on weekends when most of the student body had left for weekend). Really was hard to sit in a class for 8 hours straight each day.

I passed the national board exam the first go around, so I gues they prepared me. Now was I prepared for my first job? A little iffy! The school was heavy on theory which we all seemed to learn very well, but there were a few basic practical things we should have been taught but we didn't cover them. That still makes my job tough even today. What I mean by that is that the program made me very good at performing OT evaluations/assessments, but I think there are other programs out there that produced better OT treatment providers.

Finding a job was really no problem. I was working the day after I had my license. There isn't a week that goes by i don't get at least one call for a job. I don't know how all these headhunters get my telephone number.

I just started my own private practice part-time, and already doing well, so I can say, overall, BARRY did me right. And though they are expensive the return on investment has been good.

--Sean

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kiyah in Butner, North Carolina

34 months ago

What was the hardest part about the academics? What was your undergrad major? Is kinesiology taken at Barry a weed-out course so to speak?

Kiya

34 months ago

Sean Slovik in Melbourne, Florida said: BARRY University for Me

Likes: The schedule fit me. I was older (39 when I began), so was everyone else in my class. They really pushed research which I liked, even did some myself. Heavy emphasis on promoting critical thinking-which has helped me more with life in general.

Dislikes--Had to drive 3 hours each way to school and back every other weekend for over two years. Had to be assertive in finding some of my own fieldwork. Never really felt like I was a part of the campus student body (we were there on weekends when most of the student body had left for weekend). Really was hard to sit in a class for 8 hours straight each day.

I passed the national board exam the first go around, so I gues they prepared me. Now was I prepared for my first job? A little iffy! The school was heavy on theory which we all seemed to learn very well, but there were a few basic practical things we should have been taught but we didn't cover them. That still makes my job tough even today. What I mean by that is that the program made me very good at performing OT evaluations/assessments, but I think there are other programs out there that produced better OT treatment providers.

Finding a job was really no problem. I was working the day after I had my license. There isn't a week that goes by i don't get at least one call for a job. I don't know how all these headhunters get my telephone number.

I just started my own private practice part-time, and already doing well, so I can say, overall, BARRY did me right. And though they are expensive the return on investment has been good.

--Sean

What was the hardest part about the academics? What was your undergrad major? Is kinesiology taken at Barry a weed-out course so to speak?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Observer in Orlando, Florida

34 months ago

Elodie in Rueil-malmaison, France said: Hey Sean, I came across this forum and was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions concerning Barry's MOT program...any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated! At the moment, I'm contemplating whether or not to apply for next fall (2012). I'm from NJ, but I ultimately want to live and work in Florida, so I've been researching Barry's, Saint Augustine's, and Nova's programs. I'm attracted to Barry's program because it allows me to work and go to school at the same time, however, for a weekend program it seems rather pricey (regardless, Nova and SAU are just as expensive). Luckily, I'm debt-free from undergrad, but $70,000 sounds daunting. I guess it's the price you have to pay for a career you want! I'm interested in hearing what you have to say about the program: what you liked and didn't like about their program, whether or not it adequately prepared you for the boards, how long it took for you to find employment after graduation, how your experiences were with the fieldworks (do they only place you in Miami), and finally did you feel prepared for your first job? I hope I'm not asking too personal information-I just think it's better to ask a former student rather than email a facility member. Once again, thanks in advance! I'm glad to hear it worked out for you and you found TWO rewarding jobs!

You should consider Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences too

34 months ago

Kiya said: What was the hardest part about the academics? What was your undergrad major? Is kinesiology taken at Barry a weed-out course so to speak?

Everyting was about equal in difficulty. For some the research section was a bit difficult. You will be encouraged to perform a research study instead of a Thesis.

My undgrad major was a B.S. in Marine Transportation from Texas A&M University back in 1988. I was a Merchant Marine Officer for 13 years, then a Massage Therapist for 3 years, before I applied for Barry.

Yes, most students had to take Kinesiology the summer before we started classes. I did not. They accepted what I had learned at massage school as enough for that requirement.

Hope this all helps....

BTW: Just opened my own outpatient OT office this past summer. check out.
<a href="www.occupational-therapy-brevard-fl.com/"> www.ot4nash.com</a>

Kiya in Atlanta, Georgia

33 months ago

FIEOTE who="Observer in Orlando, Florida"]You should consider Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences too
How is the program there? Affordability?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in North Bergen, New Jersey

32 months ago

Sean Slovik in Melbourne, Florida said: BARRY University for Me

--Sean

Well, you inspire me. Because the school that I would like to attend is one hour away and the drive alone is draining. Taking consideration how far you drove, I may have a chance with commuting. Thanks

Brittany Greene in Raleigh, North Carolina

32 months ago

Sean Slovik in Melbourne, Florida said: I graduated from Barry's OT program back in 2008. When all was said and done, the total was closer to $70,000.

While the loan payment each month is killer, the pay off is still worth it. You'll graduate with a choice of jobs. The paycheck will be GOOD-mostly likely VERY GOOD. You won't be following the unemployment benefits extension debate like the rest of America. You'll be working steady, and actually making a differnce in other people's lives.

Just once you start Barry, don't give up no matter how tough it gets.

I was think aboutappying to Barry University but because they didn't require the G.R.E. I wasn't sure if that was a good program. What is your opinion on the course work and overall clinical experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany Greene in Raleigh, North Carolina

32 months ago

I am having a difficult time decided if I should take the G.R.E. for the MOT degree. I have been researching schools and many of them that are accredited through the American Occupational Therapy Association do not require it. Will appying to schools that require the G.R.E. look good to employers or does it not really matter? Because I really want to appy to Townson University and it is a GREAT school but they are not requiring the G.R.E. What should I do?

Brittany Greene in Garner, North Carolina

32 months ago

I was wondering about scholarship programs and grants that would pay for my MOT degree. I have a boat load of student loans from undergrad at least 70,000 and I want to avoid anymore loans, is that possible that i can get all of my tuition payed in full? I really want to get my masters but I am overwhelmed by all of the debt. Or should I pay off my student loans before returning back to school?.... help I need some advice!!

OTR/L in San Jose, California

31 months ago

nad in Miami, Florida said: I plan to go to Barry University (Miami) over $60,000 dollars tuition/books.. Help :-)

I wouldn't pay that much for OT school. That is ridiculous! When you get out of school, you will make the same if not even less than someone who graduated from a state college.

I am a new graduate from SJSU OT program and I just passed the NBCOT. I work with people who attended private universities and they are close to 100k in debt. We get paid the same amount at work, so it does not make sense.

My tuition at SJSU was roughly 4k a year plus books. And SJSU is ranked pretty high. It is second to USC here in California.

Do some research and look for state school's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Brittany Greene in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I am having a difficult time decided if I should take the G.R.E. for the MOT degree. I have been researching schools and many of them that are accredited through the American Occupational Therapy Association do not require it. Will appying to schools that require the G.R.E. look good to employers or does it not really matter? Because I really want to appy to Townson University and it is a GREAT school but they are not requiring the G.R.E. What should I do?

GRE does not count for anything. Actually, it is pretty useless. It has absolutely no relevance to OT. It's just a way to weed out people.

I graduated from SJSU OT program and I don't know how I benefited from taking the ridiculous GRE. It is a complete waste of money.

But yes, unfortunately for state school's it is required to pass the GRE.

Private school is the way to go if you have the money. Less requirements and they will take anyone with $$$

31 months ago

OTR/L in San Jose, California said: I wouldn't pay that much for OT school. That is ridiculous! When you get out of school, you will make the same if not even less than someone who graduated from a state college.

I am a new graduate from SJSU OT program and I just passed the NBCOT. I work with people who attended private universities and they are close to 100k in debt. We get paid the same amount at work, so it does not make sense.

My tuition at SJSU was roughly 4k a year plus books. And SJSU is ranked pretty high. It is second to USC here in California.

Correction: Tuition at SJSU is 4k per semester plus books

AP22 in Cupertino, California

31 months ago

OTR/L in San Jose, California said: Correction: Tuition at SJSU is 4k per semester plus books

Do you have any tips/advice for all of us who are starting the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Westerville, Ohio

30 months ago

Brittany Greene in Garner, North Carolina said: I was wondering about scholarship programs and grants that would pay for my MOT degree. I have a boat load of student loans from undergrad at least 70,000 and I want to avoid anymore loans, is that possible that i can get all of my tuition payed in full? I really want to get my masters but I am overwhelmed by all of the debt. Or should I pay off my student loans before returning back to school?.... help I need some advice!!

Brittany...have you found anything? I am in the same boat as you I am desperately trying to find somewhere that will pay my tuition!

Prncsz in Pensacola, Florida

30 months ago

You should look at different companies on your area some rehab facilities, hospitals, etc offer them in exchange for commitment to work once you have finished school. You will have to research.

amlanza in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

25 months ago

Sean Slovik in Melbourne, Florida said: Everyting was about equal in difficulty. For some the research section was a bit difficult. You will be encouraged to perform a research study instead of a Thesis.

My undgrad major was a B.S. in Marine Transportation from Texas A&M University back in 1988. I was a Merchant Marine Officer for 13 years, then a Massage Therapist for 3 years, before I applied for Barry.

Yes, most students had to take Kinesiology the summer before we started classes. I did not. They accepted what I had learned at massage school as enough for that requirement.

Hope this all helps....

BTW: Just opened my own outpatient OT office this past summer. check out.
<a href=" www.occupational-therapy-brevard-fl.com/"> www.ot4nash.com</a>

Congrats on your achievment! I graduate in Nov. BS health science and I am currently an xray tech. You applied with a BS in Marine transportation. My question, what about you prereqs that Barry requires? Did you take those in addition? Did they waive them? I am applying in Dec.
Thanks!

finnc6 in Portland, Oregon

13 months ago

Brittany Greene in Garner, North Carolina said: I was wondering about scholarship programs and grants that would pay for my MOT degree. I have a boat load of student loans from undergrad at least 70,000 and I want to avoid anymore loans, is that possible that i can get all of my tuition payed in full? I really want to get my masters but I am overwhelmed by all of the debt. Or should I pay off my student loans before returning back to school?.... help I need some advice!!

Hi Brittany! I find myself in the same exact situation: 75,000 in student loan debt and scared to take on the amount it will be to complete a MOT program. Yikes. I earned a MS in Poli Sci a couple of years ago with the aim of working for a non-profit. Boy, loved the program but practically speaking, what a bad idea. The student debt to income ratio stinks and looking for jobs for as long as I have has got me back to what feels like square one. I would surely consider committing to working in a community or hospital for two years to wipe a bit of the debt away and really when all is said and done, the starting salary to student loan debt is still better than where I sit right now. A very low starting salary of 60,000 to 110,000 compared now which is at best 28,000 to 75,000. I figure I could pay it down pretty quick if I can maintain my current spending lifestyle for a couple to few years? Have you found out anymore info for yourself? WIth my research I also look to see if they have TA or GA positions; Experience plus pay is awesome. Something I wish I did with my previous masters.

Urania Girl in Israel

9 months ago

Hi dear OTR/L in San Jose, California, can I ask you how did u pay only for 4K a year?

OTR/L in San Jose, California said: I wouldn't pay that much for OT school. That is ridiculous! When you get out of school, you will make the same if not even less than someone who graduated from a state college .

vfierova in Dallas, Texas

2 months ago

prnscz in Pensacola, Florida said: Try a hospital in your area. Most hospitals in rural areas or areas where most people would not like to work offer this. Do you have an idea of the city /state where you would like to work after finishing school? If you know then google hospitals in that area and then look on their career page many list that they will either reimburse you for up to 10,000 towards student loans after you complete school or they will cover for up to two years of schooling (books, lab fees, equip, etc). If you don't see it on the website then try calling and speaking with HR .That's where I began, I plan to apply to USA in Mobile, Alabama in the fall for school. West Florida Hospital in Pensacola, FL offers what they call a therapist scholarship and they cover all of the expenses for up to 2 years and I have to sign on to work for them for 2-3 years after I finish school. Just start there.

I have just been accepted in OT school. I am also graduating on 5/17 with a masters in public health. I found out that I will have to pay for most of OT school out of my own pocket and it's going to be around 35K. I am interested in trying to find a place that will pay up front with a contract to work. I looked up your Florida hospital and see that they have a form, which I will fill out today. I also see that they require an interview. Money is extremely tight--I am a single mom and the OT school where I was accepted will require a move to ND. First, did you have to interview for the hospital to pay? Do the interviews have to be in person? Will they pay for out of state graduates? I appreciate ANY help/input.

vfierova in Dallas, Texas

2 months ago

vfierova in Dallas, Texas said: I have just been accepted in OT school. I am also graduating on 5/17 with a masters in public health. I found out that I will have to pay for most of OT school out of my own pocket and it's going to be around 35K. I am interested in trying to find a place that will pay up front with a contract to work. I looked up your Florida hospital and see that they have a form, which I will fill out today. I also see that they require an interview. Money is extremely tight--I am a single mom and the OT school where I was accepted will require a move to ND. First, did you have to interview for the hospital to pay? Do the interviews have to be in person? Will they pay for out of state graduates? I appreciate ANY help/input.

Okay, the form for the therapist scholarship is no longer online--at least I cannot find it. It was there a few weeks ago.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.