San Jose State OT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 595)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Katielynn in Chico, California

86 months ago

Has anyone attend San Jose OT program or knows anything about it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Katielynn in Long Beach, California

86 months ago

What do you know about the program? Did you know the admission stats? Are you going to attend and if why did you choose SJSU over the other OT schools. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jotendra in Mountain View, California

85 months ago

well..i was trying to get into red tech program at foothill college close to my home, but i coundn't. then i decided to transfer to 4 yrs. i talked to my adviser at foothill and he gave me different option. pre-requisite for the red-tech and OT was preety much same. i went to san jose state website (www.sjsu.edu/ot) and find out more info about the program. san jose state in 10 min drive from my place and i thought its not gonna make any difference from where u graduate aslongas u have liscence. i talked to the adviser at san jose state and did some volunteer work. and i actually liked it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katielynn in Long Beach, California

85 months ago

Thanks, so you are go to SJSU for the combined BS/MS in OT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jotendra in Oakland, California

85 months ago

once u in the program, its 3 yrs BS/MS. i am in the program and the class starts from 25th aug. they only take 40 students every fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ctt227 in California

69 months ago

I just got into the Pattern II Master's program at SJSU!! So happy! :) I thought I would give some of my info for all you prospective students out there...I know I had a ton of questions just a couple months ago, and maybe this will help some of you.

I applied to four schools, 3 in CA and 1 in WA, San Jose was definitely my top choice though because it's the best price for a Master's program and I've heard it's a good one.

-I got my undergrad in Psychology, GPA was about 3.7, I had every prerequisite done except for the Neuroanatomy that most people take online at SJSU in the summer, I got A's in all my prereqs
-I completed about 115 hours of volunteer work (at an outpatient clinic and a SNF, I was really worried about this part b/c I waited until the last minute and did all my hours in 1.5 months, right before applying)
-GRE score was just average, I met the minimum requirement and was really worried my score wasn't good enough (<1200), but I guess it was fine!
-all my letters of recs were good (my respondents gave me copies so I was able to see exactly what people were saying about me)
-and lastly, I had a strong statement of purpose that I gave to a couple of advisors to read and give me feedback on.
-also, my undergrad senior project was Pediatric OT-related so I mentioned that in my application...so definitely mention anything that you think would help you stand out a bit from all the other applicants!

During the process the two parts that I was most concerned about was getting my hours done and my GRE score. They want you to have at least 50 hours when you apply, but I honestly think the closer to 100 you have when you turn in your application, the better. Since I wasn't working, I was able to devote most of my time to volunteering.

Also, I sent in my application in early November, and heard back just 3-4 weeks later, so I definitely advise everyone to get things in order so you can apply early!! GOOD LUCK!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cmc2050 in Seattle, Washington

68 months ago

Thanks so much for all these comments, it's helpful to read as I'm applying to Seattle and San Francisco area schools this year (including SJSU - wasn't able to send my materials in until mid-December though).

I wanted to add that specifically for SJSU, the Volunteer Reference Evaluation form is VERY important. I went to the info session in early December and they said that the volunteer reference form is weighted much higher than the other references, which is different than some other schools I contacted (specifically the WA state ones). They specifically mentioned that one can make up for a low GPA with a great letter of reference and lots of official volunteer hours.

Congrats, ctt227, it's cool to hear they let people know pretty soon after applying. The grad assistant told me that they look at apps once a week, on Mondays, but not during the holiday break (which is right now).

I can also confirm that they expect it to be a VERY competitive year especially due to the economy and the fact that it is one of the cheaper schools. They also strongly prefer for all materials to come together in one big package. Good luck, everybody!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Big Roy in San Pedro, California

68 months ago

Sam Tran in Hayward, California said: Big Roy,

Would you mind telling me what grades you got for each prerequisites and your overall gpa? Did you repeat any prerequistes as well? Thanks for all the information.

In the prereqs I got one C, 2 A's and the rest were B's. My overall GPA was only around a 2.4-5 but all you needed was a 2.0 when I applied. I also had excellent volunteering remarks with a letter of rec. in addition so that probably helped my case. It's A LOT harder to get in now though. Everything has changed at SJSU and OT is now an Impacted major so who knows what is going to happen... Sorry to say but we will probably only know the effects of the impaction after we see what happens next year. God bless though! I hope you guys all get in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

M in Fresno, California

68 months ago

jotendra in Oakland, California said: once u in the program, its 3 yrs BS/MS. i am in the program and the class starts from 25th aug. they only take 40 students every fall.

Hi jotendra,
How is this 3 year program vs going 4 years? Is it a lot harder? Do you still learn the same information and get the same qualified experience?
Thanks and let me know. :)

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

BM26 in San Francisco, California said: Does anyone think the Occupational Therapy classes at San Jose State University are super hard? I'm barely making it gradewise in the OT program (Pattern 1) at SJSU. I feel like I don't understand a lot of the material even after a few semesters. I'm also doubtful I'll pass the National certif. exam. Should I continue on?

Well it depends... I know you didn't make it to the 3rd semester without having a good head on your shoulders because you've passed every class! But if you feel you aren't excelling because you don't LIKE the material then maybe you should invest your time in something you feel more passionate about. Because I think the classes are only hard if your not really into it ya kno? I mean I've only completed one semester but I know a cupple people who didn't do so well and it seemed like they were never REALLY interested in OT. Maybe it just sounded good in the pamphlet. HOWEVER, if this is not you and you love OT or even just like it enough to know you want to do it for a long time then I think you should stay. Especially if you've kept up a 3.0 within the major. You might find that your the type of person that just doesn't like school, but excels in the real world! Stay positive!

John in San Jose, California

68 months ago

BM26 - What year are you? I'm also in the pattern 1. I don't think the OT courses are that difficult. The hardest part of OT for myslef and most that I've talked to are the group projects as it involves a lot of time outside of class and also coordinating with the people in the group. And of course, with every group you are a part of, you're gonna someone who thinks he/she knows it all and kind of ruins it for everyone else, but that happens everywhere, so no big deal. Other than that, the program does take a lot of time. It is definitely challenging, but not impossible to finish. What are you struggling with? Any class in particular?

jotendra in Fremont, California

68 months ago

M in Fresno, California said: Hi jotendra,
How is this 3 year program vs going 4 years? Is it a lot harder? Do you still learn the same information and get the same qualified experience?
Thanks and let me know. :)

Since bunch of prerequisites classes need to be completed before getting into the program, for 3 yrs only OT classes are focused. there is not doubt to say that every semester you will learn new informatiion.

BM26 in San Francisco, California

68 months ago

Hi Big Roy,
Thanks for your encouragement! I'll keep what you said in mind. Good luck with whatever you're doing :)

BM26 in San Francisco, California

68 months ago

Hi John,
Sorry it took me so long to respond-was kinda busy. I just finished the 3rd semester(2nd year). I struggled with Kinesiology, PNF & NDT concepts. (I was really ill the 2nd semester. I did mediocre to bad on exams in Pediatrics, Physical Disabilities, & Neurorehab. I think the only reason I've been maintaining a 3.0 is because my grades were also based on group papers. I feel like I don't know anything(I did a lot of cramming 1-2 nites before exams, maybe that's why). Maybe if I study hard for the National exam, I'll pass.

67 months ago

DM-RN in Los Gatos, California said: I was accepted to SJSU pattern II program for fall 2010. Very excited about starting.

Any ideas about where to get 50 hrs of Volunteer work?

Also, I took Anatomy this last fall but physiology was about 20 years ago, so I'm very nervous about NueroAnatomy. Can anyone tell me about their experience in SJSU summer online NueroAnatomy class? What physiology concepts do I need to review beforehand?

Sounds like I'll be seeing some of you in the fall:-)

That's good that SJSU OT Dept. did not require you to retake they Physio class since it's been 20 years since you took it. The departmen actually made me retake my anatomy since I took it 8 years ago. Usually they have an 8 year expiration on the pre req. courses.

Anyway, to answer your question about Neuroanatomy, you really just need to know the basic anatomical parts and not so much the functions. Since the course will mainly focus on the anatomy and functions of the brain, it is helpful have basic understanding of how neurons fire and how data is transmitted, but you will have some sort of refresher to cover the basics in the first week or so.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just come prepared to learn. I do suggest taking it with Dr. Hyde. He is an awesome professor! And he raps too!

67 months ago

Im not sure how long ago John took Neuroanatomy, but my OT classmates and I took the class last year and it was actually pretty complex. It is now called Neuroanatomy & Physiology so its names AND function... and we learned EVERY single part of the brain, not just basic parts we learned it in depth. Also all of the tracts and how they affect the body and what muscles they innervate, etc. We also had to intimately learn how neurons fire including hormones, nutrients, and everything else you would think you needed to know, maybe it was just me but everyone I know thought that class was pretty hard. Physio was a lot easier to me... but yeah I'm not trying to scare you at all but I took it with Dr. Hyde too and although he is a GREAT teacher love him, that class was hard core! lol... But you will do well if you take it with him because he has this grading trick that pretty much makes everyone pass, but if you have no real prior classes dealing with the brain and spinal cord then it can be pretty intense! But you'll be ok! Just don't take the class lightly or with a lot of other hard classes!

DM-RN in Los Gatos, California

67 months ago

Thank you for the feed back on NeuroAnatomy.

Did any of you take the Online Summer Class?

M in Fresno, California

67 months ago

Thanks, do you know if the prerequisites can be taken at a junior college and if the 3 year program accepts students from junior colleges?
I heard it's pretty hard to get in.

67 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: Im not sure how long ago John took Neuroanatomy, but my OT classmates and I took the class last year and it was actually pretty complex. It is now called Neuroanatomy & Physiology so its names AND function... and we learned EVERY single part of the brain, not just basic parts we learned it in depth. Also all of the tracts and how they affect the body and what muscles they innervate, etc. We also had to intimately learn how neurons fire including hormones, nutrients, and everything else you would think you needed to know, maybe it was just me but everyone I know thought that class was pretty hard. Physio was a lot easier to me... but yeah I'm not trying to scare you at all but I took it with Dr. Hyde too and although he is a GREAT teacher love him, that class was hard core! lol... But you will do well if you take it with him because he has this grading trick that pretty much makes everyone pass, but if you have no real prior classes dealing with the brain and spinal cord then it can be pretty intense! But you'll be ok! Just don't take the class lightly or with a lot of other hard classes!

Big Roy,

I took the class about 3 semesters ago and nothing has changed since. The class is still called Neuroanatomy and it covers the same materials that we covered 3 semesters ago. I know this because i have a friend who is in the class now. I did not say the class was easy. I simply said to be prepared for class, just know the basics of the brains anatomy and how neurons fire and communicate. You don't have to know the "complex" things now. Once you are part of the class, you will learn the so called "complex" areas of Neuroanatomy.

Again, don't worry, its definitely "complex," but as long as you study the material, you should be fine. Good luck to ya!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Ok I wasn't trying to start an argument... lol but Maybe your friend doesn't go to SJSU or something because if you go on mysjsu and look up the class (Biol 109) it clearly states Neuroanatomy AND Physiology... just like it did when I took it last year. Also no matter how much you "prepare" for this class the amount of material is still going to hit pretty hard if you have never taken a neuro class before. And the word "complex" does pretty much sum it up... I remember having the feeling that we were learning pretty much everything brain and spinal cord and that the class really couldn't be harder or else it would just get repetitive. However since this person has already taken physio they have a solid foundation in neuro already. There were about 4 or 5 people in my class who went to class everyday, did all the reading, and absorbed everything pretty well and received A's or B's on every test. The rest of us didn't do so well SO like I said... he has an extremely helpful trick that you'll find out near the end of class that pretty much makes everyone pass (i don't want to ruin the surprise!) So YES in the end you WILL be ok... more than ok actually you'll probably end up getting an A. But if it wasn't for that trick the average grade would have been somewhere around D+ - C-. (Average final score is 60%).... sooooo I think that warrants the class to be called complex... but like i said, take Hyde and you'll be more than ok!

67 months ago

And no I didn't take the online class. I've never taken one before either so I couldn't begin to tell you the differences. I just remember being plowed with material the first day and then realizing that if I did the reading before class it was a lot easier to digest! So I would suggest the same strategy (of doing what your supposed to do ;) for the online class as well...

67 months ago

M in Fresno, California said: Thanks, do you know if the prerequisites can be taken at a junior college and if the 3 year program accepts students from junior colleges?
I heard it's pretty hard to get in.

You can take everything but Neuro at a JC... Neuro has to be taken at state... and I know someone in my class who transferred from a JC but just make sure that the OT dept. accepts all of your classes from the JC because anatomy is usually not accepted. This is due to our schools use of cadavers in the Lab portion and I don't think JC's can do that... so at the very least you'll have to take the Anatomy Lab portion ONLY and Neuroanatomy & Physiology at SJSU... but other than that you will be ok! And its only hard to get in if you don't have all of the prerequisites complete. If you have everything done you should have nothing to worry about! Should be a lot easier to get in with the increased GPA requirement too... also there are less students being accepted so those two should help! I hope you all get in I love this program!

67 months ago

Sam Tran in San Jose, California said: Can we take Bio 66 Physiology at a JC? I received a D for it last semester with Cargill so I would need to retake it. Is Neuroanatomy with Hyde a lot harder than Physiology with Cargill? Cause seriously Cargill did a terrible job lecturing and was barely any help when I talk to her.

Well heres the thing a lot of people don't get about Cargill. I thought physio with her was so easy because I found out that her tests have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LECTURE!!! People place so much emphasis on it (hence the pile of tape recorders seen on the desk/stage at every class) and end up failing. ALL she does in lecture is go over the pictures throughout the chapter, she hardly ever goes into the depth that the book does. The only thing her lecture is good for is knowing what parts of the book to READ. I READ and basically would have aced her class if I didn't get lazy in the end cuz I got an A on the first midterm and a B on the second one. HYDE on the other hand actually DOES lecture on what he tests you on so thats why he lectures SO MUCH... He spends the ENTIRE lecture portion and the ENTIRE lab portion lecturing so that he covers all the material and actually lets you know he won't test you on something he hasn't said. So for me that made the class hard because I never used to go to class back then!!! lol! I missed like half the classes... but with Carghill that was no problem ;) me and my friend would actually meet up at her class, sit there for a few minutes and then leave! and still aced the tests! this proves my theory! lol... So basically it depends on what your study habits are but both classes would be a lot easier if you go to all the classes and READ ur butt off. And to answer your question YES you can take Bio 66 at a JC AS LONG AS it is a freestanding Physio class... a "Physiology and Anatomy" course will only satisfy the Anatomy portion. Hope that helped ;)

M in Fresno, California

67 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: You can take everything but Neuro at a JC... Neuro has to be taken at state... and I know someone in my class who transferred from a JC .....This is due to our schools use of cadavers in the Lab portion and I don't think JC's can do that... so at the very least you'll have to take the Anatomy Lab portion ONLY and Neuroanatomy & Physiology at SJSU.......I hope you all get in I love this program!

I'm so glad to hear all of your feedback! It makes me feel so much better. I'm sorry I'm bombarding you with questions but I have some more....Is San Jose's 3 year program more expensive than going 4 years for bs/ms? I've been trying to compare different OT program prices but can't get ahold of San Jose's. About how much do you estimate? And Increased GPA is still 2.8 right? Thanks!

67 months ago

I'm pretty sure I read that the A&P class at the JC only satisfies the Physiology requ not the Anatomy.

67 months ago

DM-RN in Los Gatos, California said: I'm pretty sure I read that the A&P class at the JC only satisfies the Physiology requ not the Anatomy.

Well I know its one or the other... I just remember asking killingsworth if I could take Physio at a JC and she said as long as it was free standing... so I'm not sure about that.... but hey if your sure then it must be true! :) I would just advise anyone to look it up and not take neones word for it bcuz thats a big commitment!

67 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: Ok I wasn't trying to start an argument... lol but Maybe your friend doesn't go to SJSU or something because if you go on mysjsu and look up the class (Biol 109) it clearly states Neuroanatomy AND Physiology... just like it did when I took it last year. Also no matter how much you "prepare" for this class the amount of material is still going to hit pretty hard if you have never taken a neuro class before. And the word "complex" does pretty much sum it up... I remember having the feeling that we were learning pretty much everything brain and spinal cord and that the class really couldn't be harder or else it would just get repetitive. However since this person has already taken physio they have a solid foundation in neuro already. There were about 4 or 5 people in my class who went to class everyday, did all the reading, and absorbed everything pretty well and received A's or B's on every test. The rest of us didn't do so well SO like I said... he has an extremely helpful trick that you'll find out near the end of class that pretty much makes everyone pass (i don't want to ruin the surprise!) So YES in the end you WILL be ok... more than ok actually you'll probably end up getting an A. But if it wasn't for that trick the average grade would have been somewhere around D+ - C-. (Average final score is 60%).... sooooo I think that warrants the class to be called complex... but like i said, take Hyde and you'll be more than ok!

It's apparent that we had different experiences taking the class that's only offered at SJSU which is Neuroanatomy or Bio 109. I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Hyde and would recommend him to anyone. As with any class, if you don't put in the work, you will not do well.

Neuroanatomy is no different than any Bio class you will be taking to get in OT such as Physio, Anatomy, etc. All of those courses require a lot of work, but they are not as hard as Big Roy make them out to be.

67 months ago

M in Fresno, California said: I'm so glad to hear all of your feedback! It makes me feel so much better. I'm sorry I'm bombarding you with questions but I have some more....Is San Jose's 3 year program more expensive than going 4 years for bs/ms? I've been trying to compare different OT program prices but can't get ahold of San Jose's. About how much do you estimate? And Increased GPA is still 2.8 right? Thanks!

GPA is 2.8 for pattern 1 (bs/ms) and 3.0 for pattern II (ms). We don't have a "4 year bs/ms" Our program is either Pattern 1 which is 2 yrs undrgrad and 1 year grad, or pattern 2 which is 2 yrs grad. If this is your second year in college and are applying at the end of this semester then of course the BS/MS would be cheaper... unless you want a BS in something else first. But im not quite sure what your asking cuz theres no 4 year bs/ms... aaaaand all the prices for tuition are on the website. sjsu.edu/occupationaltherapy just browse around and you'll find it ;)

67 months ago

John in San Jose, California said: It's apparent that we had different experiences taking the class that's only offered at SJSU which is Neuroanatomy or Bio 109. I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Hyde and would recommend him to anyone. As with any class, if you don't put in the work, you will not do well.

Neuroanatomy is no different than any Bio class you will be taking to get in OT such as Physio, Anatomy, etc. All of those courses require a lot of work, but they are not as hard as Big Roy make them out to be.

lol yeah your right... Neuro was only hard because I never went to class ;) Anat was the easiest cuz there was almost no reading required, and physio was the hardest (i guess) just because of the ammount of reading... but FRANKLY I haven't really come across a "hard" class at SJSU yet... Hard to me means I need a tutor to understand the material, and I've never really needed that (so far) sooooo I guess I'm waiting for a challenge (knock on wood). But yeah I guess I think a little different because a class is only really hard if I don't study and don't go to class......... buuuuut then again thats anybody! ;) so yeah Johns right I just don't want anybody taking these classes lightly, thats how you end up barely passing a class you know you could have aced

67 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: Well I know its one or the other... I just remember asking killingsworth if I could take Physio at a JC and she said as long as it was free standing... so I'm not sure about that.... but hey if your sure then it must be true! :) I would just advise anyone to look it up and not take neones word for it bcuz thats a big commitment!

You can take any of the pre req courses at any school you please. The only thing you should be concern with is the OT Dept. at SJSU will not accept the Anatomy/Physio combined courses that are taught at some colleges (i.e. Foothiill College). You have to take them separately. Additionally, you must work with a cadaver in Anatomy. If you happen to just take Anatomy at a JC with no cadaver, you will be required to take a 1 unit lab course at SJSU which will satisfy the requirement.

Neuroanatomy is the only course that is required to be taken at SJSU as it is only offered there. Other than that, all of your pre reqs can be taken anywhere.

67 months ago

John in San Jose, California said: You can take any of the pre req courses at any school you please. The only thing you should be concern with is the OT Dept. at SJSU will not accept the Anatomy/Physio combined courses that are taught at some colleges (i.e. Foothiill College). You have to take them separately. Additionally, you must work with a cadaver in Anatomy. If you happen to just take Anatomy at a JC with no cadaver, you will be required to take a 1 unit lab course at SJSU which will satisfy the requirement.

Neuroanatomy is the only course that is required to be taken at SJSU as it is only offered there. Other than that, all of your pre reqs can be taken anywhere.

Which reqmt. does the combined course satisfy? I always forget and I don't want to give nebody else the wrong answer!

67 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: Which reqmt. does the combined course satisfy? I always forget and I don't want to give nebody else the wrong answer!

I knew someone that took the class from Foothill College where the combined Anatomy/Physio is taught and they were only required to take the lab portion of Anatomy at SJSU. But I would verify with Killingsworth to be on the safe side.

67 months ago

oh ok so it must satisfy the anatomy portion... Yeah I thought so. It makes more sense for a JC to focus more on anat than physio cuz its simpler. Killingsworth was saying the JC's tend to focus on anatomy... so physio needs to be freestanding

67 months ago

Well I hate to add controversy but when I was admitted to pattern II for this coming fall they accepted my A&P from the JC for Physiology but made me retake Anatomy.

I retook Anatomy at West Valley College (JC). They have a high quality Anatomy class that uses cadavers. You actually get 6 hours of lab per week. It looks like the SJSU Anatomy class only has 3 hours per week.

M in Fresno, California

67 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: GPA is 2.8 for pattern 1 (bs/ms) and 3.0 for pattern II (ms). We don't have a "4 year bs/ms" Our program is either Pattern 1 which is 2 yrs undrgrad and 1 year grad, or pattern 2 which is 2 yrs grad. If this is your second year in college and are applying at the end of this semester then of course the BS/MS would be cheaper... unless you want a BS in something else first. But im not quite sure what your asking cuz theres no 4 year bs/ms... aaaaand all the prices for tuition are on the website. sjsu.edu/occupationaltherapy just browse around and you'll find it ;)

That makes sense haha, I meant going 4 years to complete bs then ms separately.I will check out the prices! thanks again

For Maltilda in Pacific Palisades, California

67 months ago

Your welcome! I hope you find happiness!

Eric in Menlo Park, California

67 months ago

For Maltilda in Pacific Palisades, California said: Your welcome! I hope you find happiness!

Btw, the OT program at SJSU is SUPER AWESOME! I'm sure all of you will enjoy the program.

On a lighter note, if there any guys interested in the OT program, you will enjoy the fact that you will be surrounded by HOT HOT HOT WOMEN! Usually there are less than 8 guys per class and the class size is 40! Sorry I had to throw that out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

For Maltilda in Pacific Palisades, California

67 months ago

Eric in Menlo Park, California said: Btw, the OT program at SJSU is SUPER AWESOME! I'm sure all of you will enjoy the program.

On a lighter note, if there any guys interested in the OT program, you will enjoy the fact that you will be surrounded by HOT HOT HOT WOMEN! Usually there are less than 8 guys per class and the class size is 40! Sorry I had to throw that out there!

HAHAHAHA!!! AGREED!!! Bro what year r u in? I'm a first year if your still there, I'm that super tall black dude with the fake leg lol...

67 months ago

Ma bad, I forgot I was still under that other name... this Roy though... do you still go to sjsu? U must, cuz we actually got 9 dudes in our class

Eric in Menlo Park, California

67 months ago

BigRoy in Los Angeles, California said: Ma bad, I forgot I was still under that other name... this Roy though... do you still go to sjsu? U must, cuz we actually got 9 dudes in our class

I'm in my last semester. Yeah, I think I've seen you around. Glad to hear that you are enjoying everything OT has to offer, if you know what I mean! HA HA! So many HOT women! We def. chose the right career path! LOL.

Btw, the incoming year should have even better looking future OTs. Too bad I won't be seeing them on campus as I will be doing my internship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Eric in Menlo Park, California said: I'm in my last semester. Yeah, I think I've seen you around. Glad to hear that you are enjoying everything OT has to offer, if you know what I mean! HA HA! So many HOT women! We def. chose the right career path! LOL.

Btw, the incoming year should have even better looking future OTs. Too bad I won't be seeing them on campus as I will be doing my internship.

hahaha I feel u lol! Aye bro do u kno of any other websites with OT forums?

clj in Searcy, Arkansas

67 months ago

I am going to apply for the Pattern II level for Fall 2011, so I will apply next fall. At that time I will have a degree (BS) in Exercise Science from an out of state university. I will have accomplished all the pre-reqs except the neuroanatomy class. My question is wondering if the Pattern II after completion will be a MS and if I should apply and come to SJSU in Fall 2010 and take the neuro class in class or if I should wait for acceptance and take it online the summer before? Any suggestions on which is better, etc. Also I still haven't taken the GRE or the MAT, which one should I take or should I take both? My GPA overall right now is 2.95 and by graduation in May I hope to bring it up in 3.0 or higher. What are my chances for getting into the program if I score average on GRE or MAT, my GPA, all pre-req but one fulled and early entry into the application process?

BigRoy in San Jose, California

67 months ago

clj in Searcy, Arkansas said: I am going to apply for the Pattern II level for Fall 2011, so I will apply next fall. At that time I will have a degree (BS) etc...

Ok so firstly take the GRE and get above 1000, then the Pattern II program awards a MS at completion and secondly you want to take and complete/get an A in Neuro asap! This is because the OT program at SJSU is really difficult to get into especially if you do not have all the prereqs completed at least the FALL before applying (in spring). In pattern I almost half of those accepted had all prereqs complete and then the rest were in progress to be completed in the spring semester in which they applied. Noone has been accepted who still had prereqs to complete that summer in a few years now. there are too many ppl applying with everything done ESPECIALLY at the graduate level. Also I hope you get in with a 3.0 but that is the minimum requirement. Most of the grad students accepted had really good GPA's and all the prereqs done/extra volunteer hours etc. You want to make your application look the best it can so I strongly encourage you retake all the prereqs you received less than an A in and also take as many easy classes as you can from now till the end of winter session spring semester (or the end of spring semester if you attend a JC at this time because their classes are over before our appllication deadline) But basically beef up your GPA as much as you can because theres a lot of competition! NOT SAYING ALL THIS TO SCARE YOU or anything but I just think its best to give it to you straight :)

I do hope you get in though! I love this program!

reena in Salinas, California

67 months ago

Hi ct227,

CONGRATS!!!

I've applied in October with all the documents but,had MAT 398.I've one masters,good undergrad GPA,3.7 masters GPA and all A's in prerequs!!few days back I submitted my new MAT report with above minimum score but,not very great. I thought I would hear the news like you within a month...but,I am still waiting!!!Let's see what happens.

Stella in Oceanside, California

67 months ago

I've been sooo nervous!!

For those who have been accepted for the OT program pattern II, how long did it take before you found out? A month? How did they let you know? Did you have an interview?

I just applied for pattern II, and my complete application was received February 2nd. I know it was really close to the deadline but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I feel like I have a strong application, but not really sure if it needs to be more fabulous!! San Jose State is definitely my first choice.

Allison in Mobile, Alabama

67 months ago

Stella in Oceanside, California said: I've been sooo nervous!!

For those who have been accepted for the OT program pattern II, how long did it take before you found out? A month? How did they let you know? Did you have an interview?

I just applied for pattern II, and my complete application was received February 2nd. I know it was really close to the deadline but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I feel like I have a strong application, but not really sure if it needs to be more fabulous!! San Jose State is definitely my first choice.

Oh gosh, I completely feel ur pain! I applied back in November, but not everything was recieved til around now..im very nervous...:( I have had problems with the Ot I shadowed fillin out my volunteer forms, but i hve talked to the secretary and I hope all is well! My GPA is mediocre... 3.495, and I got 1020 on the gre.... im worried, do you think its possible I could get in??:/

66 months ago

got rejected!!!! I still can't believe it.straight A's in all prerequisites,3.5 under grad GPA,holding one masters and healthcare background..MAT score 407..can anybody explain what they need? I think they see only gre/mat scores..$2000 and 6mos of effort got wasted for nothing..

66 months ago

BigRoy in San Jose, California said: Ok so firstly take the GRE and get above 1000, then the Pattern II program awards a MS at completion and secondly you want to take and complete/get an A in Neuro asap! This is because the OT program at SJSU is really difficult to get into especially if you do not have all the prereqs completed at least the FALL before applying (in spring). In pattern I almost half of those accepted had all prereqs complete and then the rest were in progress to be completed in the spring semester in which they applied. Noone has been accepted who still had prereqs to complete that summer in a few years now. there are too many ppl applying with everything done ESPECIALLY at the graduate level. Also I hope you get in with a 3.0 but that is the minimum requirement. Most of the grad students accepted had really good GPA's and all the prereqs done/extra volunteer hours etc. You want to make your application look the best it can so I strongly encourage you retake all the prereqs you received less than an A in and also take as many easy classes as you can from now till the end of winter session spring semester (or the end of spring semester if you attend a JC at this time because their classes are over before our appllication deadline) But basically beef up your GPA as much as you can because theres a lot of competition! NOT SAYING ALL THIS TO SCARE YOU or anything but I just think its best to give it to you straight :)

I do hope you get in though! I love this program!

Big roy,

got rejected!!!! I still can't believe it.straight A's in all prerequisites,3.5 under grad GPA,holding one masters and healthcare background..MAT score 407..can anybody explain what they need? I think they see only gre/mat scores..$2000 and 6mos of effort got wasted for nothing..

why?why?why?

66 months ago

reena in Salinas, California said: Big roy,

why?why?why?

I'm actually in the OT program at SJSU also. I happened to talked to the OT secretary and I noticed they have this big posting that basically said they are only accepting 32 students for both Pattern I and II (MS), that is 8 students less compare to last year. I know for sure they accepted 40 students for Pattern I, and I believe it was also 40 for the Pattern II (MS).

According to the secretary, the committee is being VERY selective due to budget cuts. She didn't disclose what they look for specifically, but I know it's NOT just about grades.

How was your application letter? I know it's too late now, but the OT program really emphasizes on HOLISTIC approach. The reason I asked about your letter is because I'm curious if you mentioned something along the lines of holistic, client-centered, collaborative treatment, etc. as that is what OT is all about. What separates OT from PT is that we look at the individual as a whole (mind, body, emotion, etc.) rather than just treating a dysfunction or disability like they do with PT. Many people go into OT thinking we just do rehab.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get in, but I wish you luck with the other schools.

66 months ago

John in San Jose, California said: I'm actually in the OT program at SJSU also. I happened to talked to the OT secretary and I noticed they have this big posting that basically said they are only accepting 32 students for both Pattern I and II (MS), that is 8 students less compare to last year. I know for sure they accepted 40 students for Pattern I, and I believe it was also 40 for the Pattern II (MS).

According to the secretary, the committee is being VERY selective due to budget cuts. She didn't disclose what they look for specifically, but I know it's NOT just about grades.

How was your application letter? I know it's too late now, but the OT program really emphasizes on HOLISTIC approach. The reason I asked about your letter is because I'm curious if you mentioned something along the lines of holistic, client-centered, collaborative treatment, etc. as that is what OT is all about. What separates OT from PT is that we look at the individual as a whole (mind, body, emotion, etc.) rather than just treating a dysfunction or disability like they do with PT. Many people go into OT thinking we just do rehab.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get in, but I wish you luck with the other schools.

Thx John for your reply! I did mention about those words in my sop!! obviously I did 160 volunteer hours.Do you think the letter from the university will have an explanation for the rejection? It is very difficult to sleep without knowing what went wrong.I did put up lot of effort with 2 small kids,neuroanatomy during summer one month period.I thought I put up the good application with straight A's and academic background.I wish I had some clue about this rejection.I didn't apply to any other schools since I am interested in SJSU.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.