Schooling Question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Jlee in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

41 months ago

Hello all, I am currently a freshman in college who wishes to be an Occupational Therapist. Last year when I was talking to a family friend, she suggested I go to nursing school before OT school. I just want more opinions on whether this would be a good choice or not.
So far the positive points of going to nursing school is I would complete a Bachelor's Degree, I would have completed a cadaver lab, and since Occupational therapy school is very competitive, I would still have a great career to fall back on.
The other option besides going to nursing school is completing a degree in Kinesiology. In my eyes, that degree will get you no where and give you little experience and seems a little boring.
Any opinions will help! Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ED in Rapid City, South Dakota

41 months ago

Only you can answer whether or not OT is a good choice, and this is by observing/job shadowing, and working jobs that are OT related. You need to find out whether or not you are a fit for the profession. No one else can tell you this. Some people hate the profession, some people love it. Don't make a decision on another person's lack of initiative to fully understand the profession before taking the commitment to join it. Likewise, someone who enjoys the profession may be naturally resilient to the stressors commonly confronted in OT, whereas you may not be.

Graduate schools do not have a preference for a particular degree. Each OT program has it's own academic prerequisites. You should take the initiative to answer your own question by researching graduate OT programs, contacting their admissions office, and asking them if a degree in nursing or kinesiology is more preferable. Each admissions committee is different, and it is unlikely that someone will provide you with an answer that is generalizable to all OT programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.