USC vs. San Jose State

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

ExcitedFutureOT in Palo Alto, California

20 months ago

Hi,
I'm going to start next year in graduate school for OT, and I got into San Jose State as well as USC with a scholarship, so that it costs me about $10,000 more over 2 years to go to USC. USC promised the scholarship for 2 years, which is rare for them. I know USC is ranked #1 for OT, and I'm wondering if it is worth it to go to a more highly ranked school for $10,000 more? Does the "prestige" help you in getting jobs, etc? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

OT grad 2012 in Langhorne, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

congrats on getting into both schools. SJSU is actually much more competitive than USC, but your getting such a big scholarship probably means that you were a stellar candidate. [I'm a recent sjsu grad]. Most jobs could care less what school you attended; they just want to see your license. Now maybe it matters more when you begin to specialize in other areas later on, but USC is a more general [more research oriented?], and not as clinical based program. SJSU for me seemed to emphasize more mental health, and less acute physical disabilities. My fieldwork supervisor said she no longer takes USC students because they aren't as experienced clinically, and are not prepared for fieldwork.

looks like you're from the Bay area. Because the costs won't be too radically different, maybe you should choose based on location & life experience. The SJSU faculty is excellent, but being a state school, there may be less available in possible labs, equipment access etc. And the power of USC is typically the networking possibilities, but that would be most applicable if you thought you wanted to work in southern CA after school. If you think you want to work in the Bay area, then I would lean to SJSU. People up there generally aren't too hyped on USC, mainly a small rivalry feeling, haha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Soon to be OT in Davis, California

11 months ago

Hey ExcitedFutureOT,

I'm in the middle of applications right now and I see you applied last year. Can you help me answer some questions?

I applied to SJSU already and have already been accepted. And I am about to apply to USC but have decided I will only go if I receive a big enough scholarship. I was wondering what your GPA, GRE, and volunteer hours are. Also, what school did you end up going to and why? What do you like or dislike about it? This would help me so much. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Soon to be OT in Davis, California

11 months ago

ExcitedFutureOT in Palo Alto, California said: Hi,
I'm going to start next year in graduate school for OT, and I got into San Jose State as well as USC with a scholarship, so that it costs me about $10,000 more over 2 years to go to USC. USC promised the scholarship for 2 years, which is rare for them. I know USC is ranked #1 for OT, and I'm wondering if it is worth it to go to a more highly ranked school for $10,000 more? Does the "prestige" help you in getting jobs, etc? Thanks!

Hey ExcitedFutureOT,

I'm in the middle of applications right now and I see you applied last year. Can you help me answer some questions?

I applied to SJSU already and have already been accepted. And I am about to apply to USC but have decided I will only go if I receive a big enough scholarship. I was wondering what your GPA, GRE, and volunteer hours are. Also, what school did you end up going to and why? What do you like or dislike about it? This would help me so much. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.