How difficult is Occupational Therapy School?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

bludude90 in Springfield, Ohio

45 months ago

Thank you! Those are important questions to consider for sure. I'll need to do my research. Is the exam that many are failing for the assistant program or full fledged occupational therapy degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

OTstudent in Columbus, Ohio

45 months ago

The exam people are failing is for the Masters of OT, I'm not sure about the COTA exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rd in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

musiclady420 in Chicago, Illinois said: Does anyone know about Govenor's State University in Illinois? They are a state school which I was planning on going to for my Occupational Therapist Masters Degree. I am currently a Massage Therapist looking to bring my education to a higher standard.

Have you heard anything more about Governors State? I'm also a MT in Illinois considering OT and would love to hear what you found out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Glenview, Illinois

28 months ago

I go to Rush University for OT .. it's a private school and so far they are preparing us wonderfully. OT school is definitely not a joke and we just finished 2 quarters and have already covered how to do transfers, manual muscle testing, range of motion, and vision tests. Our average NBCOT pass rate is 92.4% with the nation's average 81.73%. I just don't want one person's bad experience to give OT or OT schools a bad reputation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rick in San Francisco, California

26 months ago

What school did you go to? Maybe you went to a bad OT school. I go to SMU and they prepare as on how to write goals (documentation), splinting, transfers, ROM, FIM levels, you name it... We also get adequate training to tackle the NBCOT exam! Two mock exams before taking the NBCOT exam! I think it really depends on the school that you go to.

OTstudent in Columbus, Ohio said: OT school is a joke. They don't prepare you for the real world. Four people in my class failed their Level II fieldwork rotation. If you want to pass fieldwork I recommend being an aid or volunteering in an inpatient hospital setting while attending school. OT school is about "journaling your feelings" and the importance of the arts and crafts movement. In the real world you know to know FIM levels, splinting, goal writing (documentation), therapeutic modalities, how to transfer, how to perform muscle manual, range of motion, and vision tests. You won't learn that in OT school.

OT school does not prepare you to take the new NBCOT (boards) exam. So many people have failed the exam because of the inadequacies of OT school. Check out this blog: bloggingot.wordpress.com/
The blog dates back to 2007, not many people failed. When the exam changed, many failed several times.

Do your homework before you spend thousands of dollars on arts and crafts school. What are their policies if you fail fieldwork? Do they have policies in writing? Who is in charge of placing students at their sites? Can you choose your fieldwork sites or do they place you? How many people have passed the new Exam? Who teaches the classes? How long have they been out of the field? Can you talk to students who have graduated from their program?

Those are my suggestions.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Valerie in Berkeley, California

26 months ago

rick in San Francisco, California said: What school did you go to? Maybe you went to a bad OT school. I go to SMU and they prepare as on how to write goals (documentation), splinting, transfers, ROM, FIM levels, you name it... We also get adequate training to tackle the NBCOT exam! Two mock exams before taking the NBCOT exam! I think it really depends on the school that you go to.

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the info on SMU, I'm heading there this fall and it's nice to see positive comments about it. Any advice about what I can do to prepare over the summer to make that first year a little easier?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Indianapolis, Indiana

25 months ago

Hello! All this information is so helpful on getting more of an insight on OT schools. I am currently a sophomore Psych major and am VERY interested in becoming an OT! I am doing some interning this summer for it and have almost completed a majority of my pre-requisites for OT school. I am wanting to do as much as I can to be as qualified as possible, because I realize the competition of this career. I am very worried about not getting into an OT school though. Not that I have terrible grades (around a 3.5), but I just want to know what I can do to almost guarantee me into getting accepted into an OT master's program, preferably in IN. I was wondering what kind of specific advice anymore had to offer on getting into an OT master's program. More specific questions I have for those that successfully got into a program are, what was your cumulative GPAs? What were your Pre-Requisites GPAs? What kind of volunteer/shadowing/interning work did you do? How many schools did you apply for? When did you start applying? Did you get accepted in the first round of trial? What is the BEST advice that can be given for this? Woah, sorry for the overload of questions lol I am just very curious about this and what to do what I can to succeed!

ANY advice is Much appreciated, thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Cedarville, Ohio

25 months ago

Hello,
I am trying to decide between Midwestern University (IL) and Rush University. Any suggestions from those who have attended either? I have heard that Rush University offers a lot of scholarships, is that true? Does Midwestern offer any?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Liz Fletcher in Bournemouth, United Kingdom

25 months ago

The BSc occupational therapy course at the University of Southampton is accredited by the College of Occupational Therapists.

This demonstrates the University of Southampton’s commitment to work in partnership, to maintain high standards of education and shape the national and international development of the profession.

This accreditation also means that your qualification will be recognised by the World Federation of Occupational Therapists, creating international job opportunities.

In addition, as a graduate of the BSc occupational therapy course at the University of Southampton, you will also be eligible to apply to register with the Health Professions Council.

Occupational therapy can make valuable differences to people's lives and is a challenging and dynamic professional to join.

For more information on applying for the BMid <a href="www.southampton.ac.uk/healthsciences/undergraduate/courses/bsc_occupational_therapy.page?">occupational therapy course</a> at the University of Southampton please visit www.southampton.ac.uk/healthsciences

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

OTD in Portland, Oregon

25 months ago

In the US, you must have a Masters in OT to practice. I went University of St. Augustine in Florida. It was an excellent program. The 1st year or so, you go to the same classes that the PTs do. You then split and specialize. This is the only school I know of that does this and it is very helpful. I have run into many PTs that think that OTs know nothing. When I expain I attended the same classes as them for the first year to year and a half. . . apparently I've changed the opinion of many PTs.

I have worked in 3 different states and have had comments by all that I am the most well-prepared OT they've met and several places now tell me they go directly to that school to recruit. I was well prepared for the NBCOT exam and found it to be "not too bad." I applied to several schools and got into all of them. My GPA was 3.6. I don't remember what my pre-req GPA was. I've been an OT for 5 years now. I've worked in fields from pediatrics to geriatrics and I've felt comfortable in all (travelling). Prior to applying to OT school, I worked as a CNA in a rehab hospital. That gave me some additional insight.

Most OT schools are excellent. Graduate school was a blur, but it was well worth it. I love what I do and I'm good at it. It offers tons of flexibility. School loans are a bummer, but that comes with the territory. I found a good rule of thumb that I should have followed. "Don't take out any more than you can make in 1 year after graduating". I wish I had done that and it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch. Good luck all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bella0189 in Ottawa, Ontario

23 months ago

hey just wondering how long do you have to be in university to become a occupational therapist? is it worth the while going to college to be an assistant first then a OT?

Smile Bro in Norfolk, Virginia

23 months ago

OT degree in Tualatin, Oregon said:

Why so angry? Some OT steal your lunch or something? lol Relax, it just a forum and remember difficult is a relative reference to that persons personal experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

OTCali in Monrovia, California

23 months ago

about OT in Sherwood, Oregon said: You sound like the type of annoying OT boy-type who's only looking to OT for the
paycheck. What kind of sissy male would be driven to a job to toilet senior ladies?
A strange one - or just a punk kid looking for an easy way to make a buck. And, skilled
nursing is where most OTs end up cuz it pays more and where the jobs are - the other
jobs might actually require extra study and work plus pay less so not as much incentive. I'm almost through with OT and couldn't be happier to never have to meet
another OT iff I can help it or at least have the option to walk away. I'm sure you'll
love OT - there's of clueless guys to work with - it'll be a blast for you. Have
fun and don't buy the house and have the kids 'till you're sure you can endure OT for
a lifetime - or you may be real sorry.

a

I'm sorry, but you seem very clueless as to what OT is. There are many areas of study within the field. It's not all about toiler transfers... I honestly feel very offended that you are calling OT a "sissy" field, when in reality, it's be proven to be an exceptionally effective area of therapy. And if you think it's easy, I would like to see you try and last a day working in my clinic for children with severe developmental disorders. It's one of the most difficult career paths I could have taken, but one of the most rewarding. OT's don't go into the field for the paycheck. We go into the field because we want to make a difference in a person's life. If you are so self involved as to ignore that aspect of the field, then I'm sorry... you are really missing out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

OTD in Portland, Oregon

23 months ago

Nope, you're right. When referring to a generic master's it is lower case and those that had a Bachelor's in OT were grandfathered in. However, this answer was in response to those that were asking questions about getting into OT school, in which case, they would need to obtain a minimum of a Master's of OT.

You sound very upset or angry with someone. Considering I have no idea who you are and you do not know me, perhaps you should address this with the person who is upsetting you rather than ranting on some anonymous site. Good luck with that!

23 months ago

Please try to keep this forum positive. Just because OT isn't for you, or because you've personally had a bad experience, that doesn't mean it will be the case for everyone else. My time working in OT, as well as being a patient, had been entirely positive, and I would encourage everyone reading the negativity in this forum to instead go to the "Student Doctor Network." It's a lot more informative and the people on the site are far more helpful and kind, instead of focusing on bitter grudges they may have like the people seem to be here :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I really truly feel that you have been misguided. In my area of work, we have seen significant improvement in our patients as determined by not only other OT's but by doctors, parents, teachers, PT's, medical researchers, etc. When we receive a patient, we realize that we are not the only area of therapy that is working with that individual. Instead, we seek to work together with professionals from other areas of expertise as well. I for one certainly do not think that OT is the ONLY effective area of therapy for a patient, as you appear to assume most OT's do. I see the benefits of PT, OT, speech, etc, but they all work best for the patient and are most effective when COMBINED.

Additionally, OT is rarely offered under insurance. I've seen it primarily as a contractual agreement between organizations, clinics, schools, etc. that have to find a way around insurance regulation. Most organizations have to pay for OT themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ot wannabe in Minneapolis, Minnesota

23 months ago

Is OT school really a good choice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia

23 months ago

Hello!

I don't know very much about OTs and the educational requirements except that a Master's is the entry level. Why is that? I'm curious about the content of all this education. I'm much more familiar with the role of PTs and can see obvious benefits from this therapy. It's been explained to me by a few kind and patient OTs that their purpose is to improve patient's ADLs. So, does it really require a graduate level of preparation?

Thanks,

Bram RN, MSN, CCRN, CNOR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Very well said! OT combines so many aspects of human occupation. We seek to apply creative and new ways to not just physical rehab but cognitive, behavioral, sensory, etc. modalities. :) Unfortunately not many people realize that potential in OT and doubt it's effectiveness, which is really sad because the results I have seen from OT clinics are astounding and really inspiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Serena in Miami, Florida

22 months ago

Hello . my name is serena moss and i have just graduated from college and i love the thought of being an OT. my only problem is that i am 7months pregnant. i plan to do my A.A at miami dade for Pre-OT then going off to FIU for there bachelors and masters program. im very dedicated and i wont let having a child be a burden or an excuse. Has anyone of ypu completed Ot school while having a young child ? was it too stressful? do you guys have any helpful tips for me ? what should i be worried most about? Please any help is Help !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Serena in Miami, Florida

22 months ago

Hello . my name is serena moss and i have just graduated from high school and i love the thought of being an OT. my only problem is that i am 7months pregnant. i plan to do my A.A at miami dade for Pre-OT then going off to FIU for there bachelors and masters program. im very dedicated and i wont let having a child be a burden or an excuse. Has anyone of ypu completed Ot school while having a young child ? was it too stressful? do you guys have any helpful tips for me ? what should i be worried most about? Please any help is Help !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Serena in Miami, Florida

22 months ago

Serena in Miami, Florida said: Hello . my name is serena moss and i have just graduated from college and i love the thought of being an OT. my only problem is that i am 7months pregnant. i plan to do my A.A at miami dade for Pre-OT then going off to FIU for there bachelors and masters program. im very dedicated and i wont let having a child be a burden or an excuse. Has anyone of ypu completed Ot school while having a young child ? was it too stressful? do you guys have any helpful tips for me ? what should i be worried most about? Please any help is Help !!!!

***Sorry i meant i jusat graduated high school !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D in Northampton, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

Bella0189 in Ottawa, Ontario said: hey just wondering how long do you have to be in university to become a occupational therapist? is it worth the while going to college to be an assistant first then a OT?

I got my associates degree at a community college which I was able to pay for without loans then I worked while I attended a weekend program. I was able to earn about $45,000 a year and get my degree. So, in my opinion, yes it is worth it. Also you will learn very valuable skills in Cota school that will help you be a better therapist. The weekend program that I attended took 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

walk01 in Wyoming, Michigan

21 months ago

D in Northampton, Pennsylvania said: I got my associates degree at a community college which I was able to pay for without loans then I worked while I attended a weekend program. I was able to earn about $45,000 a year and get my degree. So, in my opinion, yes it is worth it. Also you will learn very valuable skills in Cota school that will help you be a better therapist. The weekend program that I attended took 3 years.

Thank you so much this really helped me

Lsu1414@aol.com in Humble, Texas

21 months ago

Bella0189 in Ottawa, Ontario said: hey just wondering how long do you have to be in university to become a occupational therapist? is it worth the while going to college to be an assistant first then a OT?

Yes, you do the exact same things as an OTR minus more paperwork. You can even evaluate under supervision. The big difference that some find is pay because some
companies are degrading and say you only have a two year degree trying to justify giving you less than you deserve. I worked with a CHT for two years and had to quit when I could not get a raise. I was doing the
majority of the work and he was sitting back and spending time jacking around on the computer. As a COTA I was
doing what a CHT does and getting tech pay. It was exhausting. Quitting was being good to myself.
In rural areas you will make more. Outpatient doesn't pay well. Nursing homes will pay you so well
you will not want to leave and pediatric settings pay well too. PRN and contract make a lot. Most COTAs I know
make between 60 and 80 thousand. Don't get low-balled. I have my MOT now but being a COTA first helped because
I could work throughout school. You are only as limited as you want to be. COTAs can run the department and be business owners all the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

walk01 in Wyoming, Michigan said: Thank you so much this really helped me

COTAs are therapists too :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

D in Northampton, Pennsylvania said: I got my associates degree at a community college which I was able to pay for without loans then I worked while I attended a weekend program. I was able to earn about $45,000 a year and get my degree. So, in my opinion, yes it is worth it. Also you will learn very valuable skills in Cota school that will help you be a better therapist. The weekend program that I attended took 3 years.

COTA school is basically the first two years of OT school. Truthfully, my COTA program
was better than my MOT program ;)

upian in Manteca, California

21 months ago

I am going to study in the University of the Philippines. It's the number 1 school in that country, and they get the highest rating of passers in the board exam. Tuition fee is only $800 per semester. Medium of language is English, no Filipino classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

OT in Philippines

21 months ago

upian in Manteca, California said: I am going to study in the University of the Philippines. It's the number 1 school in that country, and they get the highest rating of passers in the board exam. Tuition fee is only $800 per semester. Medium of language is English, no Filipino classes.

Don't go to University of the Philippines (UP) if your main purpose is to leave and work in the USA. UP graduates specially OT should serve the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rainbow lady in Newport Beach, California

21 months ago

Hi, I believe it is never to late to go back to school, I have always wanted to become a OT
but life took another direction and I became a Massage Therapist, and know feeling the effects on my body, even though I love my career I do need to change. I am at this time 48 Yikes!! U.S.C. is closest school to me. I plan on talking to them, just thought I would ask one of you people how the schooling would be for me , would I need to to do general studies before finally learning the OT studies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

epiphysis in Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

rainbow lady in Newport Beach, California said: Hi, I believe it is never to late to go back to school, I have always wanted to become a OT
but life took another direction and I became a Massage Therapist, and know feeling the effects on my body, even though I love my career I do need to change. I am at this time 48 Yikes!! U.S.C. is closest school to me. I plan on talking to them, just thought I would ask one of you people how the schooling would be for me , would I need to to do general studies before finally learning the OT studies?

Awesome, I hope you go for it. I started OT school in 08 when I was 48 and like an idiot I let pressure get to me and dropped out. Now I'm 52 and working my ass off to get back in the game cos I've been bitten by the OT bug. You go for it !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JAC11 in Ontario, California

15 months ago

was recently accepted to a pricey private school in CA for OT. This program will cost around 100k, plus the 30k that I have from undergrad. To practicing OTs out there/ current students...is this type of debt worth investing in??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

CaliOT in Santa Cruz, California

14 months ago

Hi there! So was I and I'm still hesitant about it but after doing extensive research the debt is worth it here's why:

1.) The federal government will forgive your loans after 120 payments if you work in healthcare (non-profit or govt-fed,state, local organiziation).

2.) Online payment calculators are really misleading. After calling the department of Ed multiple times I finally reached someone who knew how they calculated payments;

*They take 150% of the national poverty level for your state (for an individual it's about 23k in CA) and subtract that from your Ajusted Gross Income ( what you make before taxes) and take that amount (as an OT in CA with an MOT, MSOT, M.A. in OT you'll start at about 60k) which would be 60-23=37k. From that take 20% of 37k and divide it by 12 and BAM! **You only make payments of $616.67 dollars per month.

Consider that federal income tax is about 13% I believe so factor that in and you'll know your take home pay.

That's your monthly payments for the people on Income Based Repayment programs (most people including you will be, it's based of debt load).

Think of this if you're scared about debt....I lose sleep a lot too lately so contact me anytime!

OT is a guaranteed job when you're done where you're helping people!

You're providing therapy WITHOUT DRUGS and you'll have job security where you're not feeding some coorporate machine (not neccissarily as you can start your own practice!)

*Also you're your own independent contractor essentially and if you want to work part time you can! (I.E. have kids)..

I've talked to the heads of departments who've been to private school and they recommend it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doggiehearter in Central Coast, California

14 months ago

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia said: Hello!

I don't know very much about OTs and the educational requirements except that a Master's is the entry level . Why is that? I'm curious about the content of all this education . I'm much more familiar with the role of PTs and can see obvious benefits from this therapy. It's been explained to me by a few kind and patient OTs that their purpose is to improve patient's ADLs. So, does it really require a graduate level of preparation?

Thanks,

Bram RN, MSN, CCRN, CNOR

The profession is extremely broad and OT's don't JUST help people improve ADL's.

An OTR has to be extensively familiar with Psychological and Physiological Pathology (alzhiemers, Multiple Sclerosis, lou gin order to CHART WELL AND GET REIMBURSED BY MEDICARE.

I.E. you have to know the nature of Parkinsons to describe how someone has extrapyramidal/ballistic movements and is unable to hold a pen.

THERE IS A TON of things that an OT needs to know and with healthcare/the population being and ever growing things OT's are now required to do more and more..i.e. wound care, lymphedema treatment etc!

Consider this: OT's work with patients in mental institutions, autistic children, stroke-victims, disabled children, **HAND THERAPISTS who treat people with carpal tunnel

THE PROFESSION IS HUGE.

It is is sad to hear (as someone who is going into the profession) that a nurse with all of your qualifications doesn't know this.

OT's have to be extremely compassionate and patient as we have to work with people everyday who may never improve or for some who do maybe a goal for our patients will be to move their arm just a little bit higher from a horrible stroke so they can play with their children or bathe again or something...these are critical things for people.

Look up NEURO-IFRAH, look what it takes to be a CHT or certified hand therapist and look at a generalist's curriculum!

It's extremely comprehensive and scientific

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

JAC11 in Ontario, California

14 months ago

Hi CaliOT, your message was a HUGE help. Thank you for posting all of your findings, I greatly appreciate it! I actually heard the same thing about the federal government providing forgiveness of loans, I think that's a great plus. Thank you for all of your help, again. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Loop in Las Vegas, Nevada

9 months ago

If you drop out of grad school, is it possible to return later? I got a number of Cs my last semester, but otherwise did well.... What has anyone heard about the COTA to OT programs? Are they legit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hop in Las Vegas, Nevada

9 months ago

hello

paradiseallied in Salem, Oregon

6 months ago

Hello! I will be graduating with a bachelors degree in Gerontology in December. I am currently in the process of applying to OT schools. Originally I wanted to get a masters degree, but for many reasons I am now strongly considering getting an associates degree instead to become a COTA. My career goals are very simple: I want to work with older adults in the healthcare field. Getting an associates degree will be a faster and much cheaper option than a masters. I have also heard that COTA's work more with patients and don't have to do as much paperwork, which both sound like good reasons to go that direction instead. I also would like to start a family in in few years and want to be able to work part time for a while without having to worry about my excessive amounts of school loans that would come with a masters.
So my question is: Would it be a complete mistake to get an associates degree instead of getting a masters degree? Keep in mind that I will be finished with my bachelors degree in 3 months.
Thanks so much for your time!

Lsu1414@aol.com in United Kingdom

6 months ago

No, it is not a mistake, I did the same thing, I got my bachelors in something else, came home went to COTA school worked as a COTA for a few years and then did the COTA to MOT program. Yes, you will have more paperwork, that is why you get more money, but depending on setting you will continue to see patients and then just have a little more work. You just have to watch out for the money hungry companies, they will take advantage and wear you out! Go for it, sounds like you will balance out life well with your decision. I just knew I wanted my phd, that is our difference.

TGPII in Chicago, Illinois

1 month ago

The other day I got an undergraduate enrollment packet in the mail. The thing was written for new students. Hello, I am a GSU alumni/graduate Way to keep on top of this GSU. Oh and I am an unemployed GSU graduate. I notice that GSU always boast about it successful graduates but never about the rest of us. I applied for jobs at GSU and never hear back. So after you get all my tuition money you don't care any more? A degree from a college or GSU is not worth anything.

TGPII in Chicago, Illinois

1 month ago

bludude90 in Springfield, Ohio said: Thank you! Those are important questions to consider for sure. I'll need to do my research. Is the exam that many are failing for the assistant program or full fledged occupational therapy degree ?

The other day I got an undergraduate enrollment packet in the mail. The thing was written for new students. Hello, I am a GSU alumni/graduate Way to keep on top of this GSU. Oh and I am an unemployed GSU graduate. I notice that GSU always boast about it successful graduates but never about the rest of us. I applied for jobs at GSU and never hear back. So after you get all my tuition money you don't care any more? A degree from a college or GSU is not worth anything.

mot4me in Columbus, Ohio

12 days ago

CaliOT in Santa Cruz, California said: Hi there! So was I and I'm still hesitant about it but after doing extensive research the debt is worth it here's why:

1.) The federal government will forgive your loans after 120 payments if you work in healthcare (non-profit or govt-fed,state, local organiziation).

2.) Online payment calculators are really misleading. After calling the department of Ed multiple times I finally reached someone who knew how they calculated payments;

*They take 150% of the national poverty level for your state (for an individual it's about 23k in CA) and subtract that from your Ajusted Gross Income ( what you make before taxes) and take that amount (as an OT in CA with an MOT, MSOT, M.A. in OT you'll start at about 60k) which would be 60-23=37k. From that take 20% of 37k and divide it by 12 and BAM! **You only make payments of $616.67 dollars per month.

Consider that federal income tax is about 13% I believe so factor that in and you'll know your take home pay.

That's your monthly payments for the people on Income Based Repayment programs (most people including you will be, it's based of debt load).

Think of this if you're scared about debt....I lose sleep a lot too lately so contact me anytime!

OT is a guaranteed job when you're done where you're helping people!

You're providing therapy WITHOUT DRUGS and you'll have job security where you're not feeding some coorporate machine (not neccissarily as you can start your own practice!)

*Also you're your own independent contractor essentially and if you want to work part time you can! (I.E. have kids)..

I've talked to the heads of departments who've been to private school and they recommend it.

Not so fast. The Obama administration has proposed capping that program to 60k total of loan debt. It hasn't passed in a budget, but it might. If the Democrat is proposing that, imaging how quickly Republicans will go along with cutting student aid?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.