How do I work as an OT in USA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

anticuti in Brentwood, California

16 months ago

I am. hope you still read this forum and get back to me. i'm from Sydney, there's another girl from Melbourne and another from UK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Arthur Siew in Albury, Australia said: Hi, I know that OT is one of the fastest growing jobs in the USA. I would like to know is there any foreign trained OT here as I would like to know how do you apply for a job in the USA ?

I am. hope you are still on this forum

Curious WannabeOT in Mississauga, Ontario

16 months ago

It is very nice to get into contact with an internationally trained OT who went to go work in the US. If you dont mind, can you give us a little brief history on how long/ difficult this process of transitioning to the US was, where you are now, and how you feel about your current situation. I am from Canada and am debating on going to OT school and working in the US after. It seems that OT jobs in the US are so plentiful-however, I wonder about the future of OT job prospects. Will it decline in the states like how it did in Canada?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Curious WannabeOT in Mississauga, Ontario said: It is very nice to get into contact with an internationally trained OT who went to go work in the US. If you dont mind, can you give us a little brief history on how long/ difficult this process of transitioning to the US was, where you are now, and how you feel about your current situation. I am from Canada and am debating on going to OT school and working in the US after. It seems that OT jobs in the US are so plentiful-however, I wonder about the future of OT job prospects. Will it decline in the states like how it did in Canada?

Hi seems like the person started this post hasn't checked back.
Im not yet certified/registerd here in the US, i'm stuck as I was missing course syllabi from my bachelor OT degree in Australia.

Are you a Canadian OT already or you have a bachelor degree in non-OT field? It is declining there? as far as I know, there are plenty OT jobs here, same like in UK and a bit more than in Australia (from agency emails).

Arthur Siew in Albury, Australia

16 months ago

Yes, I check that the demands for OT are expected to grow in the next 10 years. I am wondering why do you think that OT is declining in Canada ?

I am also looking at working in Spain and Canada.

Bigsheep in Hong Kong

16 months ago

I'm immersively interested in working in US as an OTR too. Currently I'm studying a degree of OT. Soon I'll be a OTR in my local region. Would be grateful if I can know the details of working in US as OTR. How am I gonna do to make it happen?
Thanks.

15 months ago

hi HK OTR-soon-to-be, is your degree bachelor or master? Are you from Polytech U?

From July 1 2013 (this year)
with a bachelor degree overseas, make sure you keep your course syllabi (big stack of documents from your uni) and better have some research paper you did during the degree. and you also need an OT master degree somewhere. then you can apply to OTED, it's on the NBCOT website, if they approve you can do the exam. If you pass the exam you can work as an OT!

with only bachelor degrees you can't apply.

and if you need working visa, just get in touch with an agent, there are heaps online. they will help you with NBCOT application too. But if you don't have enough documents for the application, the agents can't help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bigsheep in Hong Kong

15 months ago

Thz for your reply.
Yes I'm from Polytech. I'm about to attain a Master in occup in less than a yr. Would that be sufficient for applying OTED?
I'm planning to work for a few years in local before going to US ideally to continue pursuing my career.
is it true that some states in america require master lvl for working as an OTR, while some don't?

seems you know quite well about working as OTR in US. would u mind if we exchange email addresses? so i can get more info to prepare and make my dream of being an OTR in US come true in the future.

Bigsheep in Hong Kong

15 months ago

anticuti in Brentwood, California said: hi HK OTR-soon-to-be, is your degree bachelor or master? Are you from Polytech U?

From July 1 2013 (this year)
with a bachelor degree overseas, make sure you keep your course syllabi (big stack of documents from your uni) and better have some research paper you did during the degree. and you also need an OT master degree somewhere. then you can apply to OTED, it's on the NBCOT website, if they approve you can do the exam. If you pass the exam you can work as an OT!

with only bachelor degrees you can't apply.

and if you need working visa, just get in touch with an agent, there are heaps online. they will help you with NBCOT application too. But if you don't have enough documents for the application, the agents can't help you.

job021@ymail.com

Curious WannabeOT in Milton, Ontario

15 months ago

I cannot comment on the job prospects for OT on a national level in Canada...but I have many friends who have completed a Masters in OT and cannot find a job within the GTA ( greater Toronto Area) and are having to relocate to remote/dead locations to get a job. And the jobs that are available here are usually part time or mat leave contracts-not full time permanent. Also, it is taking them 9-12 months to find these OT jobs. I am more intrigued by going to the states (i.e California, Texas) to work as opposed to cold remote places in canada.

15 months ago

Bigsheep in Hong Kong said: job021@ymail.com

I know some professors in Polytech U. you can have a look at nbcot.org first. then ask me.

15 months ago

Curious WannabeOT in Milton, Ontario said: I cannot comment on the job prospects for OT on a national level in Canada...but I have many friends who have completed a Masters in OT and cannot find a job within the GTA ( greater Toronto Area) and are having to relocate to remote/dead locations to get a job. And the jobs that are available here are usually part time or mat leave contracts -not full time permanent. Also, it is taking them 9-12 months to find these OT jobs. I am more intrigued by going to the states (i.e California, Texas) to work as opposed to cold remote places in canada.

i think it's normal for new grads to take longer to find jobs. they all like people with experience. the trend now globally is contract work (that's what I like) more than permanent full time jobs. and everywhere there is always more remote place jobs than city jobs.

15 months ago

Curious WannabeOT in Milton, Ontario said: I cannot comment on the job prospects for OT on a national level in Canada...but I have many friends who have completed a Masters in OT and cannot find a job within the GTA ( greater Toronto Area) and are having to relocate to remote/dead locations to get a job. And the jobs that are available here are usually part time or mat leave contracts -not full time permanent. Also, it is taking them 9-12 months to find these OT jobs. I am more intrigued by going to the states (i.e California, Texas) to work as opposed to cold remote places in canada.

it's normal for new grads to take several months to find a job, because employers like experienced therapists. and globally there is more contract jobs than permanent jobs, i personally like temp part-time jobs. and there is always more remote place jobs than city jobs, in every country, every industry, esp medical related field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alexis in San Francisco, California

5 months ago

Hello,

Come September I will be attending grad school in the UK to get my masters in OT. Some of the requirements to take the NBCOT exam are not offered by the program I will be attending and I want to become licensed when I am done in the USA. I am wondering if anyone has been in my shoes before and has been able to take the additional required coursework to sit for the exam. If so, where did you take the courses? Are there online options? Please help!

Thank you!

Alexis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Complete Therapy Services in Chicago, Illinois

1 month ago

Hello we are a direct hire agency doing home health for now and we do sponsorships H1B or EB2 for occupational therapist and physical therapist if there's anybody interested pls let us know thank you
Completetherapyservices@gmail. com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.