has anyone gotten into a masters program with a low GPA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

realworldliver in Emeryville, California

33 months ago

if you can't get into a masters program, I would suggest a BS/MS program. Its only 1 extra year and they usually put you through to the masters portion based on your OT major grades only, so your previous gpa wouldnt matter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

R. in Sacramento, California

33 months ago

San Jose State University (one of the few, if not the only BS/MS OT programs still in CA) does not accept applicants who already have a bachelor's degree (second bachelors students).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

R. in Sacramento, California

33 months ago

whoops just realized that I didn't clarify: SJSU is one of the few public combined BS/MS programs left. If you can afford it, I believe Dominican and USC also provide the combined program, but they are private schools. And as a second bachelor's student, you will usually only qualify for loans through financial aid unless there is an extenuating circustance (sudden disability, etc.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S in Naperville, Illinois

31 months ago

You definitely have to meet the minimum GPA for the schools you're applying to. The programs are really competitive, so they have more than enough applicants that meet the minimums. Think about retaking some of the classes you did poorly in, and make sure your prerequisite GPA is high. Take the recommended courses, not just the required ones. Research individual programs. Most schools consider grades, letters of recommendation, interviews, and experience, but some don't put equal emphasis on all areas. Probably the best thing you can do is get a lot of hours observing OT in a lot of settings. In patient, Out patient, hand therapy, productive aging, mental health, peds, ortho, brain/spinal, acute care etc. Most programs recommend 40 hours and 2 locations- go for 100 hours and 5 locations. Since your GPA is lower than a lot of applicants, you want to make sure the other areas of your application are stronger than other applicants. When you interview, be sure you can define what OT is, how it's different from PT, and why you want to be an OT. Explain your grades both in your personal statement and in your interview. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Question in La Jolla, California

15 months ago

Diana Sedlak in Fountain Valley, California said: If you are just barely below 3.0 you are fine. i had a 2.86 and i interviewed at Touro and was accepted to CSUDH.

I thought you need a minimum 3.0 to get into CSUDH ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

OT123 in Los Angeles, California

15 months ago

Question in La Jolla, California said: I thought you need a minimum 3.0 to get into CSUDH ?

At the time D applied to CSUDH, the minimum was 2.8.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Portland, Oregon

15 months ago

Just to clarify, SJSU recently stopped their BS program in Occupational Therapy. They are switching to a Master's program for OT's. I think that's the standard for Occupational Therapists now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OT grad 2012 in Langhorne, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

The much more expensive private and higher ranked schools like USC, BU, and Wash Univ (St Louis) can afford to take on more students, so they tend to have lower requirements in stats. Many students may apply to these schools, but due to the high tuition costs, opt not to attend. So these schools end up casting their nets wide to accept a full class of students. And because they're private, they tend to have more slots available. Public universities have more issues with fewer faculty, less slots available due to state budget cuts etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.