volunteer work?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

joy in La Mirada, California

90 months ago

i have no experience in ot and want some volunteer work to gain experience. where would i look for some flexible opportunities? i am most interested in working with children and/or adults with physical or mental disabilities.

thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (251) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

JenL in Santa Ana, California

77 months ago

Hi,

I'm also looking for volunteer/observation experience preferably in central or south Orange County California. If you know of anything, please let me know. Thanks for the help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nicole simp in Manhattan Beach, California

77 months ago

i am looking to go to grad school for OT and i want to volunteer, also. Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (118) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Princess in Pensacola, Florida

77 months ago

nicole simp in Manhattan Beach, California said: i am looking to go to grad school for OT and i want to volunteer, also. Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this?

Hi Nicole,

I'm doing the same thing at this point looking for volunteer. What I have done is google occupational therapy in my city and state. It brought up all of the places in my area that have occupational therapist working. I made a list of places to call and will be contacting them to see if they have any volunteer opportunities available. Also try your local hospital, I pulled up a local hospital's website in my area and they have opportunities for volunteering M-F 9-12pm or 1-4pm, it's a 6 month committment and you have to work a 1 to 2 days a week. By doing a google search for occupational therapy in your city and state you should be able to find some locations to make calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ashley saint in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

73 months ago

I am in nursing school and would like to get my master's degree in OT when I finish. In the meantime I want to volunteer with an OT and was wondering how to go about finding a place. I live in West Palm Beach Florida. Does anyone have any suggestions?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mtrosko in Phoenix, Arizona

71 months ago

Jillian J ex-OT in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hi Ashley --- I grew up in West Palm Beach but live out West now. Pretty simple -call some hospitals in your area and inquire about volunteering in an OT dept.
Possibly, Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center or Jupiter Medical Center would have some opportunities. I worked at Good Samaritan Hospital in downtown WPB back when as an EKG tech. and before OT school. Really make sure that OT is something that interests you. Check it out carefully and don't just dive in head first - you may find the water to be too shallow (a good parallel to the South Florida coast world). Be careful - OT school is expensive and a big committment. Much of the reimbursement comes from Medicare and, as well, if some sort of health-care reform is passed, it could directly affect reimbursement of rehab. services, your job and your salary. If you need more information, you can e-mail me and I'd be glad to help you to navigate through the process: seaandski7@yahoo.com

Do you know of any OT volunteer opportunities in Phx?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

deanna in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

i am currently a student at wright college and im looking for some volunteering activities for my major in OT...I was wondering do any know any hospitals? i live in chicago which are full of opportunities. but i cant seem to narrow it down..anyone have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

OT Student in Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

deanna in Chicago, Illinois said: i am currently a student at wright college and im looking for some volunteering activities for my major in OT...I was wondering do any know any hospitals? i live in chicago which are full of opportunities. but i cant seem to narrow it down..anyone have any suggestions?

try RIC, UIC, Childrens Memorial Hospital and google volunteering in chicago for Occupational Therapy, hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chicago/Miami Student in Miami, Florida

66 months ago

I know this is an older thread, but I stumbled across it as I was looking for information on volunteer work/ part time jobs in OT. Interestingly, many of the previous posts are from either the Florida or Chicago area.
As it stands now- I am in Miami, though originally from Chicago. I am applying for my Master's in OT at schools in the Miami area and taking OT pre-requisite classes. In the case that I am NOT accepted for this upcoming fall, I would like to spend time working or volunteering in an OT-type environment in Miami, and will then apply for next year's programs in both the Miami & Chicago areas.
I'll be following the advice posted here about contacting hospitals and clinics- but also if anyone in the Miami area sees this and can give me specific advise/ opportunites, I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thank you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leanne15 in Princeton, New Jersey

66 months ago

Hi I am also interested in doing OT and need volunteer experience. Does anyone know anywhere in Princeton, NJ I could go??

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Samuel Kim in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

Hello, I am planning to apply to Graduate school for Occupational Therapy. I am open and available to learn about new possibilities. Please contact me through my email address : samuel.kim.23@gmail.com

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Sam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A.W in Winnipeg, Manitoba

48 months ago

It is possible to be accepted into an OT program with a Fine Arts degree?(I do have some of the prerequisites) If so, what Canadian OT program focuses most on expressive art therapies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Rosemead, California

46 months ago

FutureOT in Monterey Park, California said: Hi everyone,

If you're looking for a wonderful place to get OT experience, I highly recommend volunteering at Family Success by Design. Everyone is wonderful, and you'll find many experienced and future OT practitioners that are glad to embrace and mentor you!

You can email them at volunteer@fsbd.org.

Is this even OT related?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Hawaii

46 months ago

Ray in Rosemead, California said: Is this even OT related?

Ummmmm, yes. It is very much OT related.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

FutureOT in Monterey Park, California

46 months ago

Ray in Rosemead, California said: Is this even OT related?

Yes, community-based OT.

www.familysuccessbydesign.org/services/

Deena in Daly City, California

46 months ago

Hi! I'm a pre-OT student. I was wondering if you guys know of any places in San Mateo - San Francisco area that are accepting volunteers? I called up several hospitals and clinics but had no luck.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chad Peach in Garden Grove, California

43 months ago

Hello! Was considering a career in OT or OTA in the Southern California / Orange County area. Please contact me if you have any recommendations or suggestions for locations in my area! Otherwise I'm simply going to make my rounds through the phone book. =0 Thanks a mill!
-Chad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chad Peach in Garden Grove, California

43 months ago

^For volunteer work! Should have stated that.

bianca59 in Austin, Texas

43 months ago

I am currently attending Austin Community College in Austin, Texas for Occupational Therapy Assistant, does anybody know of a good place that welcomes volunteers besides the obvious big hospitals? I have to gain 20 volunteer/observation hours before I can be accepted into the program. Thank you for any suggestions!

blankenship98 in Austin, Texas

42 months ago

bianca59 in Austin, Texas said: I am currently attending Austin Community College in Austin, Texas for Occupational Therapy Assistant, does anybody know of a good place that welcomes volunteers besides the obvious big hospitals? I have to gain 20 volunteer/observation hours before I can be accepted into the program. Thank you for any suggestions!

I am an occupational therapist and I work in Austin Texas in Home Health. Not sure that home health would be the best environment for you to observe but would be happy if you want to do so. My suggestion would be to call facilities that provide the type of O.T. that you feel you are interested in ie. outpatient, pediactrics, geriatrics and ask to speak to the O.T. All of us had to meet the same requirement to get in school so I think you shouldn't have to much problem finding someone. I know making a cold call to a facility is difficult but that is what I did when I applied and was able to find somewhere very easily. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to observe. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

erp11 in Wilmington, North Carolina

42 months ago

I'm a recent graduate of Wake Forest University and am considering going back to school for OT. I was hoping to find somewhere in the area where I can volunteer a couple evenings a week to see if this is a career path i would like to explore. Please let me know if you have any suggestions

Megan in Saint Paul, Minnesota

41 months ago

Hi, this seems to be a popular thread for OT-related volunteer work and I'm looking for volunteer hours before I apply to the program at my University. I'm living in Saint Paul, MN currently so anywhere in the greater Twin Cities area preferably. Any suggestions or advice as to where I should begin my search would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Megan

Stephanie in El Cerrito, California

39 months ago

How about in the bay area, east bay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in El Cerrito, California

37 months ago

Stephanie, try Children's Hospital in Oakland or Alta Bates Herrick Campus in Berkeley. I believe for Herrick they take applications once a month online so you have to be logged on at the exact time and once they reach their limit the application closes. I was about to volunteer at CHO but ended up getting accepted before I could start volunteering, but I had already had over 130 hours.

Sophie in Salisbury, United Kingdom

37 months ago

I have been out of work for 16 years to raise a family and am now looking to go back into employment but do not have a lot of confidence and feel I need to gain some experience first. I am very interested in working with troubled teenagers as have a lot of experience with my own son who is mentally disabled and am also very good with my older sons friends who often come to me with their problems. I am very keen to work with other troubled children as I feel that my experiences help me to empathise and understand their behaviour. I would also like to gain more experience so as to better help my son. I am looking for someone in the Salisbury area that I may be able to shadow and help out where possible so as to further my knowledge and develop my interest in this area. Any ideas or suggestions? Please e-mail me. Thank you

Sheree in Cedar Park, Texas

31 months ago

bianca59 in Austin, Texas said: I am currently attending Austin Community College in Austin, Texas for Occupational Therapy Assistant , does anybody know of a good place that welcomes volunteers besides the obvious big hospitals? I have to gain 20 volunteer/observation hours before I can be accepted into the program. Thank you for any suggestions!

Hi I am currently taking the steps to apply to the OTA Assistant program at ACC and I also need to do my 20 hours. May I ask where you did yours? Thanks in advance for any advice.
SA

Kary in Austin, Texas

28 months ago

Sheree in Cedar Park, Texas said: Hi I am currently taking the steps to apply to the OTA Assistant program at ACC and I also need to do my 20 hours. May I ask where you did yours? Thanks in advance for any advice.
SA

Hi Sheree, do students generally get into program the first time they apply? Or is it like the nursing or dental hygiene programs? Thanks! Kary

Kary in Austin, Texas

28 months ago

Hi Sheree,

Does it take multiple attempts to get into COTA program at ACC? Or is it like nursing& dental hygiene?

Thanks!

Sheree in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

28 months ago

Kary in Austin, Texas said: Hi Sheree,

Does it take multiple attempts to get into COTA program at ACC? Or is it like nursing& dental hygiene?

Thanks!

Hi Kary,

They only accept 20 people each year, in the Fall. So I have decided to apply for two different programs...just in case. I'm just trying to get all A's so I can get in. Are you applying as well?

LRobillard in Austin, Texas

28 months ago

I applied for the COTA program this year at ACC as well, what other program did you apply to? Is it in Austin?

Andrew in Austin, Texas

14 months ago

blankenship98 in Austin, Texas said: I am an occupational therapist and I work in Austin Texas in Home Health . Not sure that home health would be the best environment for you to observe but would be happy if you want to do so. My suggestion would be to call facilities that provide the type of O.T. that you feel you are interested in ie. outpatient, pediactrics, geriatrics and ask to speak to the O.T. All of us had to meet the same requirement to get in school so I think you shouldn't have to much problem finding someone. I know making a cold call to a facility is difficult but that is what I did when I applied and was able to find somewhere very easily. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to observe. Good luck!

Hi Blanketship, are you still willing to let a prospective student observe with you? Thanks! Andrew

Heather

1 month ago

blankenship98 in Austin, Texas said: I am an occupational therapist and I work in Austin Texas in Home Health . Not sure that home health would be the best environment for you to observe but would be happy if you want to do so. My suggestion would be to call facilities that provide the type of O.T. that you feel you are interested in ie. outpatient, pediactrics, geriatrics and ask to speak to the O.T. All of us had to meet the same requirement to get in school so I think you shouldn't have to much problem finding someone. I know making a cold call to a facility is difficult but that is what I did when I applied and was able to find somewhere very easily. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to observe. Good luck!

Hi there! I am looking for some places in the Austin area to get some shadow hours in before I finish up my applications to OT school this summer. Are you still willing to allow students to shadow you? I am trying to get some different settings in to strengthen my application. Thanks for your time!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.