Becoming An Occupational Therapy Assistant With A Disability?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Niamh in Sligo, Ireland

33 months ago

Do you think i would be able to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant if i have a physical disability myself? My disability is in my arms i have very little movement but can function to do a lot of stuff. The only problem i have is dressing myself. Becoming a Occupational Therapy Assistant would be my dream job i feel like i have an understanding in what the client feels and needs as i am disabled myself. Just thought i'd get other peoples opinion on the idea?

I know there's a lot of different fields. I would like to work with kids, Maybe in a school for the disabled. Or going out to peoples house's helping them get aids they need at home, school or in the work place.

Thanks

Niamh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gmc in Spring Valley, New York

33 months ago

I always believed that the best therapists are the ones who entered the field because they themselves had or have a disability or injury. They can easily empathize with the patient and really understand them. I recommend observing at a few different OT settings to see if you think you're capable of performing the physical tasks. If you are, then great! If not, and you still want to be an OTA, I know a COTA who works in a mental health setting. She doesn't perform the physical part of the job, but works with mental health patients with social, mental, and emotional issues. Perhaps that would be a nice niche for you if you're unable to do the physical part. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.