Bridging programs (Canada or U.S.) for Occupational Therapist Assitants(OTA's) to become Occupational Therapist(OT's)?

Comments (1)

Melyssa in Toronto, Ontario

40 months ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how someone holding an diploma in Occupational Therapy Assisting can become an Occupational Therapist (OT)? I do not have a degree so cannot go the route of going back for a Masters of Occupational Therapy (MOT). I was wondering if the OTA diploma is at all useful for bridging into Occupational Therapy? For example, can the 2 years of college studying OTA be applied as 2 years towards becoming an OT? In other words does it reduce the time spent in University at all or are there specific bridging programs? I am asking because I am eligible for second career funding (which only covers 2 years of college) and would like to take an OTA program but eventually I would like to be a Certified Occupational Therapist. Should I just skip the college and start on my degree then go for a master's? I am also thinking that if I am working as an OTA my employer may help cover the costs of becoming an OT so I am would like to know exactly how much school is needed after you have complete OTA.

Thanks so much for your help!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.