Bridging programs (Canada or U.S.) for Occupational Therapist Assitants(OTA's) to become Occupational Therapist(OT's)?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Melyssa in Toronto, Ontario

71 months ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how someone holding an diploma in Occupational Therapy Assisting can become an Occupational Therapist (OT)? I do not have a degree so cannot go the route of going back for a Masters of Occupational Therapy (MOT). I was wondering if the OTA diploma is at all useful for bridging into Occupational Therapy? For example, can the 2 years of college studying OTA be applied as 2 years towards becoming an OT? In other words does it reduce the time spent in University at all or are there specific bridging programs? I am asking because I am eligible for second career funding (which only covers 2 years of college) and would like to take an OTA program but eventually I would like to be a Certified Occupational Therapist. Should I just skip the college and start on my degree then go for a master's? I am also thinking that if I am working as an OTA my employer may help cover the costs of becoming an OT so I am would like to know exactly how much school is needed after you have complete OTA.

Thanks so much for your help!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.