CNA vs COTA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

margaret1 in portland, Oregon

46 months ago

COTA, at least from initial research, seems to be basically CNA with a bit more respect, a bit better pay, and much better travel opportunities through agency (CNA agency travel is non-existent).

LOL!! Here we go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

amelia in Palm Coast, Florida

40 months ago

thalia in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Great that you want to "sit on your hands" in the patients room. That is a joke. The CNAs expect you to get them up, washed and dressed. You are doing the exact same work, but just have to document more on it to get the money coming in that the CNAs cannot bring in. The demented and severly handicapped that haven't done self care in years are not suddenly going to start doing it because you have a fancy title. OTs do not know more about this than CNAs. Really it is very elementary stuff. You can teach a 3 year old this stuff and do not need a degree in anything for it. Been there, done that, unfortunately.

You either misunderstood me, or you're being an idiot. Of course I don't expect the patients to do everything themselves. It would not be safe to simply stand back and let them attempt it all. Duh.

I really don't care what the CNAs expect of me. I will work with them if necessary, but they are not my superiors, and I will not bow down to their silly expectations. Getting them up, washed and dressed is THEIR job, and only part of mine.

Of course, you've "been there" and "done that," so I don't know why I am justifying what I said to you. Goodbye.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ardentanglophile in Redmond, Washington

40 months ago

amelia in Palm Coast, Florida said: You either misunderstood me, or you're being an idiot. Of course I don't expect the patients to do everything themselves. It would not be safe to simply stand back and let them attempt it all. Duh.

I really don't care what the CNAs expect of me. I will work with them if necessary, but they are not my superiors, and I will not bow down to their silly expectations. Getting them up, washed and dressed is THEIR job, and only part of mine.

Of course, you've "been there" and "done that," so I don't know why I am justifying what I said to you. Goodbye.

Amelia,

In your previous post you said that you have trouble finding permanent full time work. This really surprises me because I thought Florida and Texas have many job opportunities... Is it because the market is flooded with new graduates? I am considering spending a lot of money at Pima for my degree but I expect to land a job when I graduate....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amelia in Palm Coast, Florida

40 months ago

ardentanglophile in Redmond, Washington said: Amelia,

In your previous post you said that you have trouble finding permanent full time work. This really surprises me because I thought Florida and Texas have many job opportunities... Is it because the market is flooded with new graduates? I am considering spending a lot of money at Pima for my degree but I expect to land a job when I graduate....

Hello,

Actually that was Cheryl in St. Louis who said that she was having trouble finding work. Florida has lots of job opportunities. I'm not sure about your area, but I'm sure something will happen for you. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in New Orleans, Louisiana

38 months ago

I have moved to New Orleans to work with another agency as a CNA that pays a bit more and has more work since I first posted.

Next week, I have arranged to shadow a OTA at one facility that likes my work as a CNA on a day off. I am also going to talk to some of the OTs in the 4 other facilities my agency sends me to so I can get a good overview of a COTA's job in different environments. One facility is an adult psych, one a nursing home, one an LTAC, and the other a long term rehab for stroke patients. Seems like a good general overview.

Amelia... I love the fact that this is about independence over dependence. One of the most heartbreaking things about CNA is that I seem to be merely on poo and pee patrol and really can not help my patients actually improve and get better!

The trouble finding work that I have heard from some troubles me, though. Hopefully, it is not quite as bad as those folks I knew that blew 10K+ on Med Tech training only to have to drop back down to CNA work because the schools were graduating so many Med Techs and the local area facilities just were not using that many. However, I have also talked to some recruiters, and it seems if I am willing to relocate to some place far away, I may not have as many issues.

Thanks for the insights.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Miami, Florida

37 months ago

A CNA is a tech and nothing more. It is nothing compare to COTA because of schooling and the fact that we are board certified. Every one should know there title and stick to it. On the other hand if you don't like the treatment your getting or don't like cleaning crap, GO TO SCHOOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mari in Miami, Florida

26 months ago

Daniel in Miami, Florida said: A CNA is a tech and nothing more. It is nothing compare to COTA because of schooling and the fact that we are board certified. Every one should know there title and stick to it. On the other hand if you don't like the treatment your getting or don't like cleaning crap, GO TO SCHOOL.

This is a pretty old thread but Daniel what school did you attend? I currently live in Miami and am lookig for a school that offers OTA program? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in San Antonio, Texas

26 months ago

Mari in Miami, Florida said: This is a pretty old thread but Daniel what school did you attend? I currently live in Miami and am lookig for a school that offers OTA program? Thanks

I went to keiser, great school but really hard. Good luck

Mari Mariposa in Miami, Florida

26 months ago

Daniel in San Antonio, Texas said: I went to keiser, great school but really hard. Good luck

Thank you for responding! Yep currently looking into keiser but reviews i've found about keiser arent great...no idea why. People say its too expensive & employers dont hire keiser graduates. What was your schedule like? Trying to figure out if i can work & go to school. Was it hard for you to get a job as OTA after you graduated? How much was program? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Dallas, Texas

26 months ago

That's not true lol, it was never hard to get a job. I always have 5 email or phone calls trying to get me to work for their company. In this program it is almost impossible to work and go to this school. More likely if you work and to Keiser you fail out. Just plan ahead and I will say that Fl does not pay like it use to, its around 28$ new grad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JDP in Valdosta, Georgia

26 months ago

Daniel in Dallas, Texas said: That's not true lol, it was never hard to get a job. I always have 5 email or phone calls trying to get me to work for their company. In this program it is almost impossible to work and go to this school. More likely if you work and to Keiser you fail out. Just plan ahead and I will say that Fl does not pay like it use to, its around 28$ new grad

Do you mean $28 per hour or 28,000 a year?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hemerton0818@gmail.com in Orlando, Florida

25 months ago

I am 52 and will finish the OTA program in 2015. Am I too old for this work? Would appreciate your honest oppinion. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

BreeLove in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

hemerton0818@gmail.com in Orlando, Florida said: I am 52 and will finish the OTA program in 2015. Am I too old for this work? Would appreciate your honest oppinion. Thank you.

I don't think you're too old for OT work. As long as your physically healthy, able to stand on your feet and move around alot. Good luck, I want to go to school for OTA myself. How long is your program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kat in Minneapolis, Minnesota

25 months ago

This is a job for the young. To much physical and mental stress.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in New Orleans, Louisiana

25 months ago

Hey Daniel, OP here. I start the prereqs for OTA school this fall. It took me a bit to set up in a new city where I would be comfortable going to school. Where I was living in MS when I originally posted, was kind of scary as far as jobs.

The comment "If you do not like wiping ass or your treatment, then GO TO SCHOOL" is brutal, but just the swift kick in the arse I need. I have also decided that I will not be doing CNA work unless it is for one of the nicer facilities here with a better reputation and a therapy department which is cool with me getting observation hours after shift. I just left a horrible facility here in New Orleans that cielings were falling down in, no supplies, and a meanness towards employees I have not seen since my days as a Banquet Waiter. Take that back, they were nicer then and paid me more. Some of those banquets in NOLA were 300 a pop for one function! I will be doing that with the better schedule during school.

Chris

25 months ago

Oh, yes...

The facility I was originally going to work at earlier last year could not hire me because I signed a one year non-compete with Maxim. I forgot I posted back then, too! Man, I hate when plans get sidetracked.

25 months ago

I'm happy your moving forward in life. Not all CNA are jack ass lol. Just a large amount done care for the patients. Majority of the time I will wipe a patient down from a BM because the CNA does not want to. This is a common problem in SNIF but I don't care if I have to clean some one because at the end of the day it will be me there when I'm 70. New Orleans is a red flag state and so is FL where I'm from; that is why I dont live in any and work in TX because the therapy here is BAD ASS!!!! I love what I do and love the influence I get to make which patient that is sent to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

hemerton0818@gmail.com in Orlando, Florida said: I am 52 and will finish the OTA program in 2015. Am I too old for this work? Would appreciate your honest oppinion. Thank you.

I was a teacher for OT school, and I will say no your not to old lol. More age comes great wisdom, good luck old man

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Mari in Miami, Florida said: This is a pretty old thread but Daniel what school did you attend? I currently live in Miami and am lookig for a school that offers OTA program? Thanks

Keiser, and my Masters at Berry University

25 months ago

JDP in Valdosta, Georgia said: Do you mean $28 per hour or 28,000 a year?

$28 an hour starting is what a new grad gets paid as a COTA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris

25 months ago

Daniel, I have noticed that about "red flag" state. Jesus, the ignorance here is so thick. As I walked up today to turn in my resignation, I saw the "cute" OT girl talking to the admin in front of the store. Must be friggin nice. Never having pts but having hawt sex with the admin who is rarely seen :) But still, if you have to flirt or sleep with someone in a city, must be red flag. I just got a call from a LPN I am cool with that moved to MA that said I should come out there. But durnit.. I am in school here in New Orleans and must cope with the heat and oppression. I also have 6 months left on my lease. Texas seems like it would be cool. Lots from NOLA moved to TX and never returned!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Chris

25 months ago

Add..

28 Daniel.. in LA, the lady at one agency contract I worked at as a CNA a year back talked 20.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MJV in Clearwater, Florida

24 months ago

Mari Mariposa in Miami, Florida said: Thank you for responding! Yep currently looking into keiser but reviews i've found about keiser arent great...no idea why. People say its too expensive & employers dont hire keiser graduates. What was your schedule like? Trying to figure out if i can work & go to school. Was it hard for you to get a job as OTA after you graduated? How much was program? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance!

The reviews are probably from disgruntled students who were "weeded" out. In month 9 we have 14 out of 26 original students due to academic reasons. I did 8 years in the Marine Corps and this program stresses me out comparably. During my first fieldwork experience I was at a skilled nursing facility that had 3 Keiser students, and they were hired right after graduation. All that matters is that it is accredited by AOTA and that you pass the NBCOT exam after graduation. Good luck and work hard, you have to be serious about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marie NSB in New Smyrna Beach, Florida

21 months ago

hemerton0818, I am in the same boat as you. I'll be 50 years old when I finish the OTA program and I had the same concerns. I am told that I shouldn't have no trouble finding a job when I graduate. Have you started the program yet? Where are you going to school?

Linda in Los Angeles, California

21 months ago

I am 36, and I would like to be a COTA, I have been working as a caregiver, and I will have my Certificate for CNA in December. I would like to work and go to school in the same time. Since I live in LA, finding an accredited school is hard. In SAnta Ana, the waiting list is 3 years. in Irvine the tuiton is about $40 000, however I would have the certificate in 20 months, I could go in school Mon, Tue, and Wed.
Anybody had a good experience at Stanbridge College in Irvine? Does it workth the money?

Nysista in Centereach, New York

15 months ago

I'm a CNA currently going the COTA route as well as the OT route trust me when I say this after working as a CNA I hate the nursing profession. In the years as working as a CNA I have lost my compassion. I have been overworked & underpaid too long. That I hate going to work. The nursing profession is a thankless profession in LTC. The patients feel they are entitled & they are rude & nasty. I'm counting the months until finish school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Arash9 in Laguna Hills, California

14 months ago

Linda in Los Angeles, California said: I am 36, and I would like to be a COTA, I have been working as a caregiver , and I will have my Certificate for CNA in December. I would like to work and go to school in the same time. Since I live in LA, finding an accredited school is hard. In SAnta Ana, the waiting list is 3 years. in Irvine the tuiton is about $40 000, however I would have the certificate in 20 months, I could go in school Mon, Tue, and Wed.
Anybody had a good experience at Stanbridge College in Irvine? Does it workth the money?

sweetheart, goodluck with $40,000 if you meant Stanbridge. It's $60,000 now. very expensive....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

3 months ago

Daniel in Miami, Florida said: A CNA is a tech and nothing more. It is nothing compare to COTA because of schooling and the fact that we are board certified. Every one should know there title and stick to it. On the other hand if you don't like the treatment your getting or don't like cleaning crap, GO TO SCHOOL.

If you're going to be condescending, at least use proper grammar... I hope you're not one of the "educated" you speak of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.