COTA Program or MOT?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

alykat25 in Huntington, West Virginia

42 months ago

I currently have a degree in Psychology. I took a year off to decide what I want to do with my degree and have decided to do Occupational Therapy. However, I could not get into any schools this time around because I do not have a lot of the science prerequisites. I was wondering if it would be smarter to take another year to take the prerequisite classes and apply again next year OR to enroll in a COTA program and then go for my Master's while I have a job as an Occupational Therapy Assistant?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

amelia in Palm Coast, Florida

41 months ago

I'd suggest enrolling in a COTA program. By the time you're done, you can make a comfortable income and learn on the job while going on for your Master's. Plus, a lot of employers offer tuition reimbursement and other perks to further your education. Not that the other option is inherently bad, but with this option, you won't have as much debt, and you can get the ball rolling on your career sooner.

Good luck!

Oh, forgot to mention: when you apply for OTR grad school, having experience as a COTA doesn't hurt on your application. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

amelia in Palm Coast, Florida

41 months ago

I'd suggest enrolling in a COTA program. By the time you're done, you can make a comfortable income and learn on the job while going on for your Master's. Plus, a lot of employers offer tuition reimbursement and other perks to further your education. Not that the other option is inherently bad, but with this option, you won't have as much debt, and you can get the ball rolling on your career sooner.

Good luck!

Oh, forgot to mention: when you apply for OTR grad school, having experience as a COTA doesn't hurt on your application. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AL89 in Covington, Louisiana

21 months ago

I am in the same boat! I have earned my B.S. in Psychology and I have most of the prerequisites, however I find the MOT programs to be competitive and expensive. I am starting to consider the OTA program so that I can begin working sooner, then enrolling in a bridge program. I feel like it may be the best option at this point, esp since my grades arent exactly a 4.0.

I see your post was made almost 2 years ago. What did you end up deciding to do?

Mafe in Secaucus, New Jersey

20 months ago

Hey guys!! I need help ! Im interested on becoming a cota .. Occupational therapys assistant .. I live in jersey and i was interested in going to hohokus school the one in ramsey tgey give an asociates degree .. Any one know hows this school?? Also how much does a newly grad make ?

Shelia Barker in Texas

13 months ago

I am wondering this too. I have a bachelor degree in psych but that was almost 7 years ago. I am currently working on a mpa but I am concerned about getting a job with this degree after graduation. Even the government jobs these days are highly competitive due to ppl switching over from the private sector. I have been highly discouraged by others and even read several blogs about not going to law school.

I was looking into going to school for social work, but I have heard about burn out, being overworked, and low pay (esp in terms of the job.) Someone on the job indeed form for sw mentioned they wish they had gone into occupational therapy. I started researching and thought hey I could do this and enjoy it.

I am in the process of setting up observations. I figure this is a great idea for me to get a better taste of the field even if it wasn't a requirement for schools. I contacted the only hospital we have and also a rehabilitation facility.

I am struggling trying to decide if I want to go for the COTA or MOT. Like I said earlier, I do have a bachelor degree but my gpa is low, only a 3.1. I noticed almost all of the schools require a 3.0 but the programs are competitive. I would have to take almost all of the prereqs particularly in science and math. I live in a somewhat small town and unfortunately the nearest COTA program is 3 hours away. I recently had to move back home so I don't have the financial resources at the moment to live on my own which makes me apprehensive about moving for school just yet. Both the OTA and COTA take 2 years and I'm now 29 so I want to be effective with my time. With the COTA I could possibly work for a little while and maybe go to school, but with the MOT I'd have more money and more employment opportunities and flexibility.

I suppose I can take the prereqs for MOT and apply everywhere. Then if I don't get in maybe I can move and complete an COTA program. Does anyone have any advice or opinions?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.