COTA online programs/bridge programs for full time working adults?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

ginolane@gmail.com in Lake Charles, Louisiana

39 months ago

I also have 2 degrees and looking to be a COTA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Lhaynes in Woodlawn, Virginia

35 months ago

I also would like to take COTA program online and then do clinicals/part time. I called several online colleges and they do not offer it. I am an LPN at the present and have all my pre-requisites done according to my local community college but the classes are on campus and I also work full time. So if anyone finds out about a accredited college online for this course let us know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

goldenchld86 in Riverview, Florida

16 months ago

I know this probably wont help since you are in different state but Remington College in Orlando Fl is developing a program like that. Classes are online and you go to labs one weekend a month in Orlando Fl for 8 hours. They are not yet accredited but are in step 2 of the accreditation process and hope to be fully accredited end of this year or early next year. I'm thinking of applying but am a little skeptical since they are not accredited yet, but i may just take a gamble as most schools that apply for accreditation with the AOTA usually become accredited, atleast that is what i have found in my research. I have been wanting to do OTA for a while as well but cant quit working to go to school full time so I am pretty excited to hear about this program at Remington!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Pw01 in Clearwater, Florida

7 months ago

goldenchld86 in Riverview, Florida said: I know this probably wont help since you are in different state but Remington College in Orlando Fl is developing a program like that. Classes are online and you go to labs one weekend a month in Orlando Fl for 8 hours. They are not yet accredited but are in step 2 of the accreditation process and hope to be fully accredited end of this year or early next year. I'm thinking of applying but am a little skeptical since they are not accredited yet, but i may just take a gamble as most schools that apply for accreditation with the AOTA usually become accredited, atleast that is what i have found in my research. I have been wanting to do OTA for a while as well but cant quit working to go to school full time so I am pretty excited to hear about this program at Remington!

Did you sign up for the program at Remington? I am looking into it but not sure if it will be challenging finding a job from a school that's not regionally accredited (such as a community college). But I like the hybrid program,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

goldenchld86 in Riverview, Florida

7 months ago

Yes I did! I started in June 2014 and i'm loving it so far! We do labs once a month and everything else is online. It's a lot of work but i am still able to manage it while working full-time. Also we just got programmatic accreditation from the accreditation board the ACOTE you can check their website as well. I'm not worried about having the national accreditation since we still have to take the state exam and as long as we pass we will still have a Occupational Therapy Assistant certification. The program is listed on the ACOTE website as being fully accredited so i don't believe that should make a difference when comes to looking for a job. I know that if we try to transfer our credits to another school that is regionally for accredited that they may not be accepted since we are only nationally accredited. For me i don't plan to go back to school after this so i'm okay with that. Also there is no wait list i got in right after I applied. Definitely check it out and let me know if you have any more questions. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BBNY21 in Ramsey, New Jersey

6 months ago

goldenchld86 in Riverview, Florida said: Yes I did! I started in June 2014 and i'm loving it so far! We do labs once a month and everything else is online. It's a lot of work but i am still able to manage it while working full-time. Also we just got programmatic accreditation from the accreditation board the ACOTE you can check their website as well. I'm not worried about having the national accreditation since we still have to take the state exam and as long as we pass we will still have a Occupational Therapy Assistant certification. The program is listed on the ACOTE website as being fully accredited so i don't believe that should make a difference when comes to looking for a job. I know that if we try to transfer our credits to another school that is regionally for accredited that they may not be accepted since we are only nationally accredited. For me i don't plan to go back to school after this so i'm okay with that. Also there is no wait list i got in right after I applied. Definitely check it out and let me know if you have any more questions. :)

this program sounds great!!!! It is completely online!? Only go to Labs 1 time a month? Do you feel confident in the skills you are learning? Do you have clinicals at the end? Most programs seem to send you to daytime clinicals for 3-4mths at the end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chuck101 in Bremen, Alabama

5 months ago

I have explored the possibility of Remington college due to also working full time and especially since now they are accredited. They said they only have like 12 people per class. What is the courseload like, biggest challenges, any tips?? Have you spoken with any previous students and have they found jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

goldenchld86 in Riverview, Florida

5 months ago

BBNY21 in Ramsey, New Jersey said: this program sounds great!!!! It is completely online!? Only go to Labs 1 time a month? Do you feel confident in the skills you are learning? Do you have clinicals at the end? Most programs seem to send you to daytime clinicals for 3-4mths at the end.

Hey there! Yes it is pretty awesome and I am still able to while going to the school. It is completely online aside from the monthly labs. We are starting observations in April and will continue with clinical rotations until the end of our 2 years for me that is june of 2016. I do feel confident in the skills i'm learning, but of course i wont know for sure until i am actually doing clinicals, so i can follow up with you at that time if you would like.

We are required to do fieldwork as far as we know its part time about 20 hours a week and it is in locations that are closest to us. some of my classmates live 4-6 hours away from the school and they have been given locations close to them and not just locations by the school. let me know if you have more questions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

goldenchld86 in Riverview, Florida

5 months ago

Chuck101 in Bremen, Alabama said: I have explored the possibility of Remington college due to also working full time and especially since now they are accredited. They said they only have like 12 people per class. What is the course load like, biggest challenges, any tips?? Have you spoken with any previous students and have they found jobs?

Hello! We get 3 classes every 12 weeks its a little different from typical colleges as we only get 1 week off in between each session.
since it is online there is a lot of work usually a written assignment, discussion post, disc post replies, quiz, and lab work for each class each week. With that being said it is doable to complete the work and not get behind. The Biggest challenge for me is on lab week, preparing for the lab and getting all the assignments done for the week as well can be a lot, but this only happens once a month. The professors and the dean are very helpful and understanding and they never make us feel like we are asking stupid questions especially for those of us who have never been in the medical field.

Tips I would say talk to the admissions reps about whats needed to start classes, pricing as it is a private school. Talk to the dean Dr. Hubbard if you have specific questions about the program. Also i would recommend shadowing an OTA before you start the program. Make sure you set aside study time and time to complete the assignments.

I haven't spoken to any of the previous students, to be honest since we are online i don't have much interaction with other students outside of those in my cohort but that is a great question! Also class size varies 12 is the max but my class started with 10 people we are now down to 7 people. let me know if you have any more questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

crystal in Morris Plains, New Jersey

5 months ago

St. Catherine University also has a online COTA program with monthly labs in VA. I spoke to the admissions rep for awhile and got good feedback. The only challenge for me is the monthly labs but, I would probably take the train since it is only once a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Norma in New York, New York

2 months ago

Hi Crystal,
Did you register for St. Catherine OTA program? I'm curious about it.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

crystal in Morris Plains, New Jersey

2 months ago

Hi,
No I didn't register because of the once a month commute to Va for the labs. I applied to FIU for there Sports Management/ Recreational Therapy Program. It's fully online and I can do my clinicals in NJ. I'm currently waiting for all my transcripts to be received.
Crystal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Norma in New York, New York

2 months ago

HI Crystal,
Oh, Ok Thanks.
P.s Right now I'm doing my internship in Recreational Therapy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

crystal in Morris Plains, New Jersey

2 months ago

That's Great! :) How do you like the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Norma in New York, New York

2 months ago

The program was from Lehman College and it was great. My internship is in a hospital facility. I am learning and applying all the applications taught it class. Having a great time!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

crystal in Morris Plains, New Jersey

2 months ago

Yes, I looked at that school in the bronx. The schedule for classes wasn't good for me because I work full time nights. There were a couple of night classes that I saw. That's great that it's a good program and it worked out for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

msfatty79 in Fort Myers, Florida

2 months ago

Hello everyone this comment is for goldenchld86, I would like to know how is class and how many do you take per semester, and if weekend clinicals is a all day event. I'm very interested in starting classes next year. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

goldenchld86 in Riverview, Florida

1 month ago

Class is going great! The amount of classes you take can vary. If you have transfer courses such as Psychology and Anatomy etc. you may take 2-3 courses a term. If not, you will have about 4 classes a term. Our hands on lab is on the weekends from 8-5pm once a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rainandshine in Tampa, Florida

1 month ago

This is very insightful. I was thinking of going to State College in Bradenton. I live in Tampa. I'd be commuting 1+ hours a day for 2 years, unless I move a little closer. But there are students who travel for up to 4 hours it seems. Maybe the one in Orlando is a thought? My concern is having job placement. So far, on Indeed, only a few are posted but once in awhile and reposted which seem to be the national companies more and PRN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.