Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 2666)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Debbie Pettis in Winterville, North Carolina

93 months ago

I have recently graduated this December from the OTA program and would like to move back to Wilmington, NC or the surrounding areas. I am eager to begin working as soon as I take the Boards, which will be in January 2007.

I enjoy working with people and children of all ages. My last Fieldwork placements involved the Acute unit at Wake Medical Center in Raleigh, NC and a private Pediatric setting in Goldsboro, NC, where I was able to go into the School system and home as well as treat children in the Clinic. I am open to any setting that is available.
If there are any openings availabe, please don't hesitate to contact me as soon as possible!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

chobers in Suncook, New Hampshire

90 months ago

Kandace:

Average pay in US is about 18.50/hr. LA is around the same. You can go to salary.com to check other places.

Steve
NH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

90 months ago

Don't be to eager to take the first job that comes along or one that payes the best. I have worked as a COTA for 27 years and can tell you recruiters will get you to take whatever they have available. This use to be a great field to be in but with the new PPS laws things are much different. I'm getting out of OT and into a new career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

chobers in Auburn, New Hampshire

90 months ago

COTAMAN:

I'm doing a career change to get INTO COTA! What are the PPS laws? Is this to do with Medicare billing? How about the 60,000,000 boomers who will need OT? Why are you leaving?

Thanks,

Steve
NH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Steve Eisenberg in Canterbury, New Hampshire

89 months ago

TherapyBummers in Kittanning, Pennsylvania said: It is not that simple, Steve. The problem is that with the changes that are coming about, the law is also now requiring that an OTR have a Master's degree as oppossed to a Bachelor's and I am noticing that more and more areas are preferring an OTR for the position as oppossed to a COTA. I would suggest if you are changing careers to go for your Master's degree because I think it is going to be very difficult for a COTA to obtain a position in the future. I am furthering my degree as we speak.

Thanks for the info, TB. I'll keep my eye on the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

88 months ago

True, there will be many needs in geriatrics for OT. However, most companies will take an OTR before a COTA due to the fact that OTR's can do evals and COTA's cannot. Let me remind you that in the last year I have been replaced by an OTR 4 times
as they needed them to do evals. The list of reasons goes on. Also note that in 2019 Medicare will no longer exist due to lack of funds. Check out Medicares web site for details. Do yourself a favor and get your OTR if you want to persue a career in OT... You will be much happier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Disappointed

88 months ago

I worked as a COTA for two years and had a difficult time getting my hours in. I would only average 20 to 30 hours per week as the facilities case load veried greatly from day to day. I only made $12.00 an hour as a new grad, but was told COTA's make about $18.00 an hour out of school... what a lie. My high School counselor told me there is a growing decline for COTA's but I did not listen. I am back in school and working on a career as a Registered Radiology Technician. This time I did my research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Ford City, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Actually, COTAs with experience do make $18 per hour, but the starting rate for a new grad is $12. A lot of companies now are also allowing COTAs to progress to a management position (program manager, rehab manager, clinical manager)and they tend to make in the mid to high 20s in this position, but again, this comes with experience. It is true however that the need for COTAs seems to be less over the last few years which is why I am back in school myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Freddo in Canyon Country, California

88 months ago

I'm a newbie, researching the OT field after spending many years teaching/tutoring.

What is an OTR?

Also, with a BA in psychology and an MS in counseling, would it be a good idea for me to become a COTA first while working on the specs to become a licensed OT? Is this even a possibility?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Sarah from Little Rock, AR said: I Gave up being a COTA because I got tired of being treated with disrespect everyday. OTR's put themselves high on a pedestale, think they are God, and treat COTA's like they are their slaves. I am now in a new field and love what I do and am respected by those over me.

Sarah: I understand your frustration as I was recently in such a position, however, this is the first time I have been in that situation in 13 years. On the contrary, most of my OTRs were very respectful and have remained my good friends to this day. They in no way feel that I am beneath them. I think OT is a great field and I enjoy my patients very much. I am sorry that you had such a poor experience in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

chobers in Suncook, New Hampshire said: Kandace:

Average pay in US is about 18.50/hr. LA is around the same. You can go to salary.com to check other places.

Steve
NH

Actually, $18.50 / hour is usually for a more experienced therapist. Depending on the setting the starting pay is usually from $12 to $15 per hour. They pay is better in Long Term Care right now than in any other setting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

88 months ago

OK, thought I would share this bit of info with those thinking about getting into OT. I recieved a letter yesterday from Medicare and Social Security stating that Medicare will run out of money by 2019 and there will be no more Social Security benefit payouts after 2040 as there will not be enough money in the system. This means Rehab Companies, SNF's, and Hospitals will no longer be reimbursed by Medicare for OT/PT/SPL services. NO REIMBURSEMENT, NO JOBS!! Americans are only paying .74 cents per dollar into the system for very $1.00 Medicare pays out to take care of our elderly. It's not brain surgery people... think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Freddo in Los Angeles, California

88 months ago

Jennifer29: Thanks for the helpful posts.

COTAMAN: Good point about Medicare, but it seems like "somebody" is going to have to step up and pay for the baby boomers to get their therapy- even if it's the patients themselves. Otherwise, there appears to be an upswing in the use of occupational therapy in non-medical environments which have nothing to do with national health care (ie. schools, group homes, etc.). These are rewarding places to work with dependable and limitless funding (as long as the California "Governator" stops robbing our education funds!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

COTAMAN said: OK, thought I would share this bit of info with those thinking about getting into OT. I recieved a letter yesterday from Medicare and Social Security stating that Medicare will run out of money by 2019 and there will be no more Social Security benefit payouts after 2040 as there will not be enough money in the system. This means Rehab Companies, SNF's, and Hospitals will no longer be reimbursed by Medicare for OT/PT/SPL services. NO REIMBURSEMENT, NO JOBS!! Americans are only paying .74 cents per dollar into the system for very $1.00 Medicare pays out to take care of our elderly. It's not brain surgery people... think about it.

Okay, this also means nurses, doctors, PTs, x-ray techs, etc. The entire medical field, not just OT. I can almost guarantee that something will be figured out at some point in time. Obviously if our healthcare workers are not going to be paid then they are not going to do the job. Also obvious, people need someone to care for them when they become ill. Therefore, I am sure someone is working on a solution to this as we speak.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

88 months ago

Jennifer: Please read my last reply. I did not say other areas of the Healthcare field would be affected... I said OT/PT/SPL services. I will have my Medical Degree at the end of May in Sports Medicine and many of the Doctors I work with will not take Medicare Patients as they either don't get reimbursed or the reimbursement is very low. This leaves HMO's, PPO's, etc. to cover the cost of geriatric care and Rehabilitation. If the Federal and State governments do figure something out, it will be in the form of what Canada now has. Also, who is going to pay for it. Will only the rich be able to afford heathcare and rehabilitation.

Freddo: One hour of rehab costs about $120.00 per discipline. How many ederly people can afford this alone the stay in a SNF facility. I use to work as a rehab manager and dealt with the headaches many patients and family members faced just trying to pay for their stay in a SNF facility alone pay for Rehab. You would not believe how many patients I had to turn away from Therapy because they either did not have Medicare or their HMO's, etc would not pay for it for one reason or the other. Therapists already have to be crafty in their documentation in order to keep the patients on caseload as it is now. What's net? I hate to even ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

COTAMAN: Please re-read my post...I did not say that you said other areas of healthcare would be affected too....I SAID IT. This is nothing new, and if you were truly a rehab manager at one time, you should know that. Are you not aware of the restrictions put on payments already by PPS and SB? Did you not get a paycut when that all started as a reaction to the panic by the companies with this new system? Did it not work out in the end? I am not saying it is a perfect system but at least something was figured out. A future system may not be perfect, but I'm sure again that something will be figured out. Even if that means you and me paying more taxes (not that we want that) something will be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

88 months ago

At what cost? 95% to 100% productivity requirments for therapists, who are pressured into treating patients that refuse, billing for patients the therapist did not see, Pt's who really need OT/PT/SPL but don't get seen or who get their minutes cut because they are not in an assessment period... It has not gotten better, it has gotten worse (more Medicare Fraud). So yes I know about PPS and SB. As far as taxes are concerned, I will let you tell all the Americans who already pay more in taxes then many other foreign countries that they have to pay more. 35% of your paycheck already goes into paying taxes... How much more do we have to pay? At that rate it won't even be worth working. Hummm, maybe we will let you pay it for us:) I invite you come to California and tell all the people here that live paycheck to paycheck that can hardly pay their housing that they have to pay more in taxes. WERE ALL SO GLAD YOUR RICH. Three hospitals in Los Angeles have already closed their doors this year because of lack of Federal and State funding. Twenty-eight SNF's no longer exist in California because they could not afford to stay open. The homeless rate has increased 128% here in the last five years. I see many of these people on the steets who need therapy services but cannot because they have no insurance. Tell me, why is this happening?.. I think you and I already know:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Freddo in Canyon Country, California

88 months ago

------"I invite you come to California and tell all the people here that live paycheck to paycheck that can hardly pay their housing that they have to pay more in taxes."-------

I live in California, in LA County, and I don't know anybody over the age of 25 who still lives paycheck to paycheck. Those who have the intelligence, desire, and grammatical ability to work and get educated are doing so. There is more money in LA than any city I've ever been to.
Seems to me that homeless folks have much larger issues than not receiving their precious OT or PT (drug addiction and mental health issues perhaps?), and there are many gainfully employed people, in addition to the homeless, who don't have medical insurance. The cost is too high and the support is too weak, most likely because the costs are driven up by fraud (ie. gloom'n'doom helpers who double bill for services not rendered).

Jennifer29, I invite you to come to Cali and enjoy the most beautiful and plentiful state in the union!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

88 months ago

Freddo: seems to me that you don't get out in your community much... maybe you should.
Talks cheap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

You think everyone else doesn't live paycheck to paycheck? You think that PA doesn't have homeless? We see it every day outside of our stadiums and stores. You think that SNFs and Hospitals haven't closed here? We had some of the top hospitals in the world here that couldn't afford to stay open. California is not the only state that has it hard. Open your eyes and quit belly aching and feeling sorry for yourself. And for your information, if you are cutting your minutes down on your SB patients, not only are you doing them a disservice, but you are doing your therapy department a disservice as they are ALWAYS in assessment and when you cut them back you knock them down your RUG category. Also, there are many countries that pay more taxes but no medical insurance. Why? Everyone is covered in their country. Everyone has medical (and they do not have medicare). It basically adds up to what we pay in taxes and medical insurance here in the long run, so it isn't any more...just a different way of doing it. Oh, let me guess. You work for a company who pays your medical insurance for you, right? Well, I pay almost $600 out of my pay a month for mine for me and my family. Don't believe me about the taxes and medical care? Ask my friend who lived in Mexico for 3 years. Or simply go on the internet and do some research. Canada works the same way. You spend a lot of time running your mouth about things you obviously don't know everything about. Plain and simple. Maybe for once our country needs to take a look at the way some of the other countries do certain things and learn a lesson here. I love America, but our processes are not always the best. Sometimes it is time to swallow some pride and ask for some help in certain areas. Don't you think that this is one of them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania said: You think everyone else doesn't live paycheck to paycheck? You think that PA doesn't have homeless? We see it every day outside of our stadiums and stores. You think that SNFs and Hospitals haven't closed here? We had some of the top hospitals in the world here that couldn't afford to stay open. California is not the only state that has it hard. Open your eyes and quit belly aching and feeling sorry for yourself. And for your information, if you are cutting your minutes down on your SB patients, not only are you doing them a disservice, but you are doing your therapy department a disservice as they are ALWAYS in assessment and when you cut them back you knock them down your RUG category. Also, there are many countries that pay more taxes but no medical insurance. Why? Everyone is covered in their country. Everyone has medical (and they do not have medicare). It basically adds up to what we pay in taxes and medical insurance here in the long run, so it isn't any more...just a different way of doing it. Oh, let me guess. You work for a company who pays your medical insurance for you, right? Well, I pay almost $600 out of my pay a month for mine for me and my family. Don't believe me about the taxes and medical care? Ask my friend who lived in Mexico for 3 years. Or simply go on the internet and do some research. Canada works the same way. You spend a lot of time running your mouth about things you obviously don't know everything about. Plain and simple. Maybe for once our country needs to take a look at the way some of the other countries do certain things and learn a lesson here. I love America, but our processes are not always the best. Sometimes it is time to swallow some pride and ask for some help in certain areas. Don't you think that this is one of them?

PS: Also, if we would stop giving money to countries that hate us anyway, maybe we would have the money to take care of our own people.(I.E. Egypt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Kari in Lansing Michigan

88 months ago

Careful COTAMAN... Jennifer29 might do a Virgina Tech on you... temper temper

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Ashima from Orange, CA

88 months ago

Then tell us Jennifer29 what is the answer to Medicare. I work with two Canadian OT's who moved to America because the Canadian system has failed it's people. I have heard many horror stories from these therapists and why they moved to the US. Maybe you are the one who should do your research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Kari in Lansing Michigan said: Careful COTAMAN... Jennifer29 might do a Virgina Tech on you... temper temper

LOL...Hardly.. He isn't worth my time or energy and I'm not the type.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Ashima from Orange, CA said: Then tell us Jennifer29 what is the answer to Medicare. I work with two Canadian OT's who moved to America because the Canadian system has failed it's people. I have heard many horror stories from these therapists and why they moved to the US. Maybe you are the one who should do your research.

Why don't you tell everyone else? You seem to have all the answers and know it all. If not system works then I guess we may as well speed everything along and everyone in the healthcare field quit and find jobs in international business or something maybe? Give up hope that someone out there actually knows what they are doing and can find some solution? Yes it's bad and yes it's bad everywhere....no kidding. Nothing new. It's been for years. And I have done my research. I've studied our medical system and that of other countries not to mention international business for the last two years and earned a degree in healthcare management with a 3.98 GPA. You?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Okay, stress relief in this forum....Maybe we could afford healthcare costs if the government would put there money where it should go instead of into stupid stuff like this (the final part of a joke sent to me from a friend):

The ant can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own
weight and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.
(From drinking little bottles of ... ?)
(Did the government pay for this research??)

Butterflies taste with their feet.
(Ah, geez.)

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
(I know some people like that.)

Starfish don't have brains.
(I know some people like that, too.)

And, the best for last:
Turtles can breathe through their butts.
(And I thought I had bad breath in the morning!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Micha from Texas

88 months ago

DAMMMMMM, $600 a month for health insurance out of your own pocket. I am married with three kids ages two to eight and I only pay $238 a month. Sounds like you need to get a better job. Also you need some stress management "EAP". Every body has a right to their opinion including you so relax and have a beer.

Hey Freddo, you say California is such a great place to live. Then what about all the fires that are burning there... will La still exist by the end of the summer? Why are there so many sea lions and seals dying, why do people go swimming in the ocean then end up in the emergency room with bacterial and viral infections. The list goes on. I grew up in LA and could not wait to leave after I graduated high school. I think my body appreciates it too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

88 months ago

Kari in Lansing Michigan said: Careful COTAMAN... Jennifer29 might do a Virgina Tech on you... temper temper

Or she might put a diaper on and drive all the way across the country to get me :0. I would not want you to be my Therapist...scary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

COTAMAN said: Or she might put a diaper on and drive all the way across the country to get me :0. I would not want you to be my Therapist...scary

Your loss. My patients love me. Sad that you don't care enough about your patients to see them for the time they deserve as oppossed to cutting their minutes back just because they are not in assessment. Very sad. Your patients are the ones suffering. Not mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Micha from Texas said: DAMMMMMM, $600 a month for health insurance out of your own pocket. I am married with three kids ages two to eight and I only pay $238 a month. Sounds like you need to get a better job. Also you need some stress management "EAP". Every body has a right to their opinion including you so relax and have a beer.

Trust me...I know. I did just swithch jobs this week...medical insurance is less than 1/ 2 the cost and it is a better plan. Unfortunately the company I worked for didn't even want to pay for education reimbursement of any kind which meant all of that was out of pocket too. It used to be a good company years ago, but it has changed a lot for the worst over the last 5 or 6 years. It was definitely time to move on. As far as stress relief, I am actually very relaxed to be honest. Guess I just have a little more faith in people than some others (not meaning you)and feel that a solution will arise one way or another to make sure that our own people are taken care of in the end and get bummed when I meet someone that isn't willing to put in the effort to fight for their paitents. Some others just don't agree with that and that is fine. To each his own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Freddo in Canyon Country, California

88 months ago

Yes, "Mich from Texas", many states have fresher air than LA- you got me there. Golly! For that matter, many parts of CA have better air quality and people with "healthier bodies" than LA. My point was more geared toward jobs/economy/opportunities/etc.
However, people and sea animals in ALL coastal areas get sick sometimes, often due to the overflow of sewage systems caused by flooding and rain. That's all I know about that....and now we're not talking about OT anymore. Fires? That's a cheap shot, what can we do about that? Stuff burns. Geez. Though, as the mighty COTAMAN pointed out, I wouldn't know because I don't get out much.
Here's to peace, love, and healthy patients who can pay their outrageous medical bills-- and the cranky COTAs who love them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Ford City, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Freddo in Canyon Country, California said: Yes, "Mich from Texas", many states have fresher air than LA- you got me there. Golly! For that matter, many parts of CA have better air quality and people with "healthier bodies" than LA. My point was more geared toward jobs/economy/opportunities/etc.
However, people and sea animals in ALL coastal areas get sick sometimes, often due to the overflow of sewage systems caused by flooding and rain. That's all I know about that....and now we're not talking about OT anymore. Fires? That's a cheap shot, what can we do about that? Stuff burns. Geez. Though, as the mighty COTAMAN pointed out, I wouldn't know because I don't get out much.
Here's to peace, love, and healthy patients who can pay their outrageous medical bills-- and the cranky COTAs who love them.

:-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

88 months ago

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania said: Your loss. My patients love me. Sad that you don't care enough about your patients to see them for the time they deserve as oppossed to cutting their minutes back just because they are not in assessment. Very sad. Your patients are the ones suffering. Not mine.

Obviously you know nothing about PPS... If we let you run these Rehab Companies they would all go bankrupt. If you really have a degree in healthcare management you would know this. A 3.98 GPA Damn who are you trying to impress us or yourself. Ya know Jennifer29 this is just a sign of insecurity and emotional instability. Like I said... I would not want you as my therapist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Ford City, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

COTAMAN said: Obviously you know nothing about PPS... If we let you run these Rehab Companies they would all go bankrupt. If you really have a degree in healthcare management you would know this. A 3.98 GPA Damn who are you trying to impress us or yourself. Ya know Jennifer29 this is just a sign of insecurity and emotional instability. Like I said... I would not want you as my therapist

You have your right to your opinion, however, it seems that you are the one that is insecure and emotional. I am fine with myself and am very proud of my accomplishments and my work, and yes I do have a management degree and the school would be Colorado Technical University. Very good school by the way with excellent instructors. And I got the degree for me...not to impress your sorry a_ _. And as far as being your therapist....no thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Park City, Utah

88 months ago

I am very frustrated right now. I am 52 years old, have a bachelors degree, paralegal degree, EMT certification, and worked as a personal trainer. Most of the time, however, I raised 3 children. I was working toward going back to school to get an OTA degree, thinking I might earn decent money and possibly do some travel work stints. Now I am having second thoughts. It sounds like there is no money in this field, that it is nothing to strive toward doing, and I am back to square one. I spent a sleepless night after reading this, thinking that I have applied to schools for the fall term 2007 for nothing. I am ready to back out. I thought working with individuals with traumatic brain injuries or accident rehabilitation might be rewarding and I might be able to use some of my past experience. Geriatrics and mental illness are not for me - I have dealt first-hand with this in my immediate family and don't want to be immersed in that arena.
Are there really no satisfying and well-paying jobs as a travel Cota either? Is this occupation really so disatisfying? At aged 52, am I stupid to do this? I have always worked on my own, and I wanted to implement some of my own thoughts and stragegies into the work. Please provide some advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Ford City, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Susan in Park City, Utah

To be honest, Susan, the money depends on several factors....the company you work for (some pay much more than others) and the setting (and the money is in Long Term Care right now) as well as experience. I wouldn't say it is not worth it, but like I said (as well as others on this forum) you are probably better off to get your OTR instead at this point. I love OT but it is getting harder to get a job as a COTA as many companies now would prefer to hire an OTR instead. My old job that I left 2 years ago has recently been changed from a COTA position to an OTR position as per my past friend and supervisor because they had more of a need for someone that could complete evals and treat as oppossed to just treating, so even if I wanted to go back to that position (which I loved..it was home care) it is no longer in existance because of this. Just some food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

88 months ago

Jennifer29 in Ford City, Pennsylvania said: You have your right to your opinion, however, it seems that you are the one that is insecure and emotional. I am fine with myself and am very proud of my accomplishments and my work, and yes I do have a management degree and the school would be Colorado Technical University. Very good school by the way with excellent instructors. And I got the degree for me...not to impress your sorry a_ _. And as far as being your therapist....no thanks.

Colorado Technical University?... always trying to impress the people on this forum aren't you. I've heard that these technical colleges will give a degree to anyone and there admittance polices are well below Department Of Education standards. Why don't you go get a real degree from a four year college. Also cursing is a sign of emotional insecurity and you definitely fit that discription.

Susan in Park City, Utah... COTA's are on there way out of the Rehab world. OTR
jobs will become very competative due to the fact that there will be too many of them. I have so many Resumes on my desk I don't know what to to with them. There are 39,000 OTR's in the state of California and only 1,100 COTA's. COTA's are in high demand here but the pay is very low.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Ford City, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

COTAMAN said: Colorado Technical University?... always trying to impress the people on this forum aren't you. I've heard that these technical colleges will give a degree to anyone and there admittance polices are well below Department Of Education standards. Why don't you go get a real degree from a four year college. Also cursing is a sign of emotional insecurity and you definitely fit that discription.

Well, COTAMAN....Sallie Mae certainly thought it was a real school...they funded all of my schooling...and all of the students that attend that campus think it is a real school. Sorry you think differently. To name others...DeVry Technical Institute, Virginia Tech (oh, wait...they are Technical schools...they can't really be legit). Grow up already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Ford City, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Susan in Park City, Utah... COTA's are on there way out of the Rehab world. OTR
jobs will become very competative due to the fact that there will be too many of them. I have so many Resumes on my desk I don't know what to to with them. There are 39,000 OTR's in the state of California and only 1,100 COTA's. COTA's are in high demand here but the pay is very low.

Well, again COTAMAN, it is different here in PA. There are a ton of OTR jobs and limited COTA jobs here in PA. Guess you're just fortunate. And as far as low pay...pay here for a COTA is around $18 for an experienced COTA and $23 for a COTA who is in a management position. Not too bad I'd say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in western New York in Mayville, New York

88 months ago

Susan, I also have a BS degree (in education) but have been working in child care after becoming disillusioned by the public school classrooms. I'm 54 and have applied to the OTA program at my local college. I attended a job fair a couple of days ago and 2 different employers there told me they feel a critical shortage of OTA's. The pay in child care is so bad, that I feel this has to be better. I agree that reading the postings here is discouraging, but I think for me the change in career will be a positive move, even if I don't make "big bucks".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Park City, Utah

88 months ago

Thank you, Karen! That is very encouraging! I also called a friend of mine in Connecticut who is has been an OT for 15 years. She said that the Cota's she works with are paid very well, are considered very valuable, and she doesn't see any fall-off in jobs for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Park City, Utah

88 months ago

Here I am back at square one. I need more advice. I simply cannot decide what career to choose at age 52. I don't know if OTA is for me. Since I have worked as a personal trainer, my background is more in the physical aspect of rehab. However, after 20 years, I am having a hard time getting all the anatomy prerequisites together in time to apply to PTA programs. And....after being my own boss and thinking for myself for so long, I wonder if PTA OR OTA is even for me at all. I have thought about taking the PostRehapProfessional certification and the Medical Exercise Certification and simply going out on my own again. But, somehow, I am suffering because I want the school-oriented job title! Does that make sense?
As an OTA, would I be able to specialize in something like balance exercise in rehab, or will I be stuck helping people to pull their socks on, etc. Is their a way for a COTA education to supplement personal training or working in a gym? (not as a COTA, but using the knowledge gained?)
I need serious advice. I am going nuts trying to figure this all out. I have called so many schools and programs that all have different requirements. The last OT I talked to said that she (and the OTA's) spend half their day changing patient's diapers.
Please...insight?? I value any and all opinions from Cota's who have been in the field. What has been the major focus of your particular job(s)? If you have gotten out of OTA, what are you pursing now? What do you see as the greatest needs in healthcare along the OTA or PTA lines?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

87 months ago

susan in Park City, Utah said: Here I am back at square one. I need more advice. I simply cannot decide what career to choose at age 52. I don't know if OTA is for me. Since I have worked as a personal trainer, my background is more in the physical aspect of rehab. However, after 20 years, I am having a hard time getting all the anatomy prerequisites together in time to apply to PTA programs. And....after being my own boss and thinking for myself for so long, I wonder if PTA OR OTA is even for me at all. I have thought about taking the PostRehapProfessional certification and the Medical Exercise Certification and simply going out on my own again. But, somehow, I am suffering because I want the school-oriented job title! Does that make sense?
As an OTA, would I be able to specialize in something like balance exercise in rehab, or will I be stuck helping people to pull their socks on, etc. Is their a way for a COTA education to supplement personal training or working in a gym? (not as a COTA, but using the knowledge gained?)
I need serious advice. I am going nuts trying to figure this all out. I have called so many schools and programs that all have different requirements. The last OT I talked to said that she (and the OTA's) spend half their day changing patient's diapers.
Please...insight?? I value any and all opinions from Cota's who have been in the field. What has been the major focus of your particular job(s)? If you have gotten out of OTA, what are you pursing now? What do you see as the greatest needs in healthcare along the OTA or PTA lines?

It don't think being a COTA or PTA is for you. OT is about teacher people how to regain their independence in ADL's i.e dressing, bathing, grooming, hygiene, cognitive skills, etc. Being a PTA means a lot of heavy lifting and holding onto patients while you walk and transfer them. If you don't like this, Rehab is not for you. The OTR/PT decide what the patients goal and treatments will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

87 months ago

Ooooh, by the way... I graduated Medical School yesterday...YESSSS! now I am a full fledge MD, Hurrrrry!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Kittanning, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Now who's trying to impress people?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Ford City, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Your opinion. I worked just as hard for my degree and it's just as good. Sorry to disappoint you.

So now I guess you think you are better than perfect??? Please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Park City, Utah

87 months ago

It is sad to see that the two people on this forum that have actually been in the OTA profession and have given me some good advice are acting so unprofessionally. Neither of you should have to prove yourselves to one another or anyone else. Is this a reason to stay out of OTA???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Mass/RI COTA in Bridgewater, Massachusetts

87 months ago

I agree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

87 months ago

Debbie P, COTA/L in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: I want to appolize for these people in the OT profession. The profession as a whole is wonderful, helping people try to gain or regain their independence in everyday living skills. I find it very rewarding and the pay isn't that bad either. You have to like working with people. Some of these people could be burned out and they may need to do something else. This can happen in any job profession anyway. You just have to learn how to prevent it and not allow it to happen. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Burnt Out?? Noooo... I just strive to better myself. Becoming a Doctor is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. Now I am there :) I have always enjoyed my job as a COTA and will miss helping people regain their independence. However, now I can help them even more as a Doctor, and my choice of Treatments will now be mine not some OTR's. Maybe you should not judge people before you know them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer29 in Ford City, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

COTAMAN said: Burnt Out?? Noooo... I just strive to better myself. Becoming a Doctor is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. Now I am there :) I have always enjoyed my job as a COTA and will miss helping people regain their independence. However, now I can help them even more as a Doctor, and my choice of Treatments will now be mine not some OTR's. Maybe you should not judge people before you know them

For once, I have to say that I agree with COTAMAN on this one. I am not burnt out and actually quite love my job. In fact, I work for 6 other companies on an as needed basis in my area aside from my full time job. I absolutely love my patients. Unfortunately in my area there are more opportunities for rehab managers and OTRs in my area which is why I am working to better myself as well. I don't need you to apologize for me, Debbie but thanks anyway. COTAMAN and I just don't agree on some things. It doesn't make either of us bad people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.