Keiser University

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

otastudent in Sarasota, Florida

74 months ago

flygirl152 in Florida said: I'm thinking of attending Keiser University for their OTA program, but I have not heard very good things about it. I hear that many companies don't want to hire Keiser graduates, is this true? If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it, as I truly want to get my degree in this field but this is the only school within a 100 mile radius of my home that offers it.

Are you referring to the Keiser University in the Sarasota/Bradenton area? If so, I haven't heard anything specifically about what their program is like. I'm an Occupational Therapy Assistant Student at State College of Florida (1st yr student) and I'm really enjoying the program there, the prg is located in Bradenton which is not to far from Keiser University.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

flygirl152 in Florida

74 months ago

Hi, no I'm referring to the school located in West Palm Beach.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

crystal in Tampa, Florida

72 months ago

Hello flygirl152,

I graduated from Keiser's COTA program in April 2011. I have not had any issues regarding employers. I've had several offers before I even finished the program. As long as the program is accredited and you can sit for the NBCOT exam (which you can with Keiser), then you will be fine. :)

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ang in Hayward, California

71 months ago

crystal in Tampa, Florida said: Hello flygirl152,

I graduated from Keiser's COTA program in April 2011. I have not had any issues regarding employers. I've had several offers before I even finished the program. As long as the program is accredited and you can sit for the NBCOT exam (which you can with Keiser), then you will be fine. :)

Hi Crystal!
we might relocate to Tampa area. I was wondering if there are any entry level masters program near Tampa

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

JayCee in Orlando, Florida

71 months ago

Just graduated from Keiser in December. Go for it! Keiser was awesome and I believe they prepared me adequately for both my fieldwork and the NBCOT exam. Found out I passed the exam a couple weeks ago and now I've been looking for a job. Everyone I know that has previously graduated from Keiser's COTA program all have found jobs.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

NaraCookies in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

heavenly_yours in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I'm attending Keiser OTA program in May, does anyone want to sell their books?

Are you starting the core or just the general pre reqs...? What was the start date they told you I am considering signing up after I am done with this semester at BU.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CollegeNewbieGal

69 months ago

I am also interested in this program, but either at Tallahassee or Jacksonville location. If anyone has gone to these schools or has comments about Keiser in general, I's be so thankful. I am also curious about wait list times. I am at a state school getting my general education classes and plan to switch for the core program hopefully next spring if at all possable. Also I am debating about taking the Intermediate Algebra at Keiser instead of my state school online, has anyone done this to, thoughts? TIA

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Meghan in Avon Park, Florida

69 months ago

I am considering doing the OTA program at Keiser in Tampa and would like anyone's thoughts of the program and school. I haven't been in school for many years and I am a bit nervous about the classes. The tuition is very pricey and I will be scraping by just to afford the classes so god for bid i fail a class. Also, what is the average yearly salary of an OTA in Tampa area? I have already researched this on labor statistics but that is never accurate. I have searched online for inpute on the OTA profession only to see negative feedback such as very little available jobs and that the pay is horrible. I am looking for a career to make about 60k a year, does OTA pay close to that? I am hoping to get my OTA license and possibly take the bridge to OT. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Travis in Palm Bay, Florida

68 months ago

You won't make 60g but you'll make around 35-40. At least that is what I've seen. I'm considering living Keiser University. It is an insanely expensive school and I don't feel like having 40 grand in student loans.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

sil2012 in Miami, Florida

66 months ago

does anyone know any other school besides KEISER for OTA???...I live in Miami..

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Yessi Pena in West Palm Beach, Florida

66 months ago

flygirl152 in Florida said: Hi, no I'm referring to the school located in West Palm Beach.

Hello, did you start the OTA program at Keiser WPB. I am finishing up my prerequisites now and am hoping to start the core classes in August. If you did start, how do you like it?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Yessi Pena in West Palm Beach, Florida

66 months ago

JayCee in Orlando, Florida said: Just graduated from Keiser in December. Go for it! Keiser was awesome and I believe they prepared me adequately for both my fieldwork and the NBCOT exam. Found out I passed the exam a couple weeks ago and now I've been looking for a job. Everyone I know that has previously graduated from Keiser's COTA program all have found jobs.

Congrats on passing your exam. How has it been going with the job search? I am finishing my prerequisites for the OTA program at Keiser in West Palm Beach and am hoping to start the core classes in August. Do you know what the going rate for an OTA is?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Virgo-In Orlando Florida in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

flygirl152 in Florida said: I'm thinking of attending Keiser University for their OTA program, but I have not heard very good things about it. I hear that many companies don't want to hire Keiser graduates, is this true? If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it, as I truly want to get my degree in this field but this is the only school within a 100 mile radius of my home that offers it.

I'm about to enroll in Keiser-Orlando for OTA (Occupational Therapy Assistant) since this school is just 10 min away from me, it fits in my work schedule, and is accredited. But is this a good school? Does anybody knows?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Virgo-In Orlando Florida in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

I'm about to enroll in Keiser-Orlando for OTA (Occupational Therapy Assistant) since this school is just 10 min away from me, it fits in my work schedule, and is accredited. But, is this a good school? Does anybody knows?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Virgo-In Orlando Florida in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

I'm about to enroll in Keiser-Orlando for OTA (Occupational Therapy Assistant) since this school is just 10 min away from me, it fits in my work schedule, and is accredited. But, is this a good school? Does anybody knows? Do hospitals hire Keiser graduates for OTA?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Virgo-In Orlando Florida in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

I'm about to enroll in Keiser-Orlando for OTA (Occupational Therapy Assistant) since this school is just 10 min away from me, it fits in my work schedule, and is accredited. But, is this a good school? Does anybody knows? Do hospitals hire Keiser graduates?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

OTAstudent in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

Meghan in Avon Park, Florida said: I am considering doing the OTA program at Keiser in Tampa and would like anyone's thoughts of the program and school. I haven't been in school for many years and I am a bit nervous about the classes. The tuition is very pricey and I will be scraping by just to afford the classes so god for bid i fail a class. Also, what is the average yearly salary of an OTA in Tampa area? I have already researched this on labor statistics but that is never accurate. I have searched online for inpute on the OTA profession only to see negative feedback such as very little available jobs and that the pay is horrible. I am looking for a career to make about 60k a year, does OTA pay close to that? I am hoping to get my OTA license and possibly take the bridge to OT. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Go for it! The classes are hard and very challenging. I currently go to the Keiser Tampa campus and the program is tough. It is expensive and if you fail out of it half way through it you will have a steep amount of student loans to pay back with nothing to show for it. On the other hand, the wait list is relatively short and you will be able to find a job with absolutely NO PROBLEM! Its a great field but its not for everybody- if you havent done any shadowing I suggest you do so BEFORE entering the program. It will clear up any "rumors" you read on this site about the profession. Idk what "travis in palm bay" is talking about but in Florida the starting pay for an OTA is $30/hr. I know that for a fact. And you can make much much more if you decide to do home health or contract work. Also the program at Keiser is about $30K after all is said and done. Hope this helps/

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mhimes in Lakeland, Florida

57 months ago

I'm thinking about going to Keiser for the OTA program but I have to work full time for a living. Does anybody have done this?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ellinahs in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

53 months ago

Robert in Huntington Beach, California said: It's possible though difficult, but once you get into your field-work internships, there's no way your going to be able to work. Field-work consists of 2 field-work rotations, 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, at 3 months per rotation. I am also not sure that paying that kind of money for a career that may not be there when you graduate is worth it. I have been looking for another job outside California for 4 months now and all I've been getting is negative feed-back from recruiters.

Would you recommend sonography over OTA? are those jobs more in demand in your area?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ellinahs in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

53 months ago

For all the current and past Keiser OTA students. Is it a requirement to finish my prereqs at Keiser or do I have the option to complete it at a community college while I'm waiting for the program to start. I spoke with someone from admissions and he told me I have to complete my prereqs at Keiser to have a "Guaranteed spot on the waiting list". is this true? I rather just finish my preqs at a community college and have it transferred.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Studentforyou in Miramar, Florida

53 months ago

I didn't take my prerequisites at Keiser.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ellinahs in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

53 months ago

Studentforyou in Miramar, Florida said: I didn't take my prerequisites at Keiser.

Thanks for your response. Did u take your prereqs after applying to Keiser while waiting to get in to the program?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Studentforyou in Miramar, Florida

53 months ago

I had them done previously.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Current Student in Pompano Beach, Florida

53 months ago

M Himes in Lakeland, Florida said: I'm thinking about going to Keiser for the OTA program but I have to work full time for a living. Does anybody have done this?

Yes I'm Currently Doing it now, its tough, i work during the day and do night classes, the problem comes in when you start doing the core classes because they only provide those during the day, so my advice is either talk to your current employer before hand so they no what to expect in the future, or you can just look for another job to fit your school schedule, because quite frankly school is more important in the long run, and in this career field switching jobs to match your school schedule is definitely worth it in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ellinahs in Boca Raton, Florida

53 months ago

Current Student in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Yes I'm Currently Doing it now, its tough, i work during the day and do night classes, the problem comes in when you start doing the core classes because they only provide those during the day, so my advice is either talk to your current employer before hand so they no what to expect in the future, or you can just look for another job to fit your school schedule, because quite frankly school is more important in the long run, and in this career field switching jobs to match your school schedule is definitely worth it in the long run.

When are you going to start the core? They said the next OTA program start date was Jan 2015.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Stacie in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

I have done mine at another college as well. Yes, not doing your pre reqs through Keiser could cause you to wait a bit or maybe not. Since you will be ready to go when you register, then if they have last min. openings, you will be first to fill. I wouldnt sweat it. Save the money and do them else where ;)

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ellinahs in Pompano Beach, Florida

53 months ago

Stacie in Tampa, Florida said: I have done mine at another college as well. Yes, not doing your pre reqs through Keiser could cause you to wait a bit or maybe not. Since you will be ready to go when you register, then if they have last min. openings, you will be first to fill. I wouldnt sweat it. Save the money and do them else where ;)

Thanks! Did you have a long waiting period?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Studentforyou in Miramar, Florida

53 months ago

I just quit the OTA program in Pembroke Pines. I had bad clinical instructors in my 2nd fieldwork and limited knowledge. Get feedback from other students before spending a fortune.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Studentforyou in Miramar, Florida

53 months ago

Also, find if there many jobs available. The field is getting more and more saturated.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ellinahs in Pompano Beach, Florida

53 months ago

Studentforyou in Miramar, Florida said: I just quit the OTA program in Pembroke Pines. I had bad clinical instructors in my 2nd fieldwork and limited knowledge. Get feedback from other students before spending a fortune.

Thanks for the heads up. I went there yesterday to see how long the waiting list was for the OTA program. I was actually ready to sign up with them.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Studentforyou in Miramar, Florida

53 months ago

There is a chance that it could turn out well, but make sure you have thought it over and gotten enough input first from other students.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ellinahs in Boca Raton, Florida

51 months ago

Does anyone know the name of the test at keiser that you have to take to test out of the intermediate math?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Florida

51 months ago

Keiser cost on Jacksonville campus is roughly 60k.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

TexasRose in Jacksonville, Florida

50 months ago

I attended and graduated from Keiser University Jacksonville OTA program. Now i must admit, YES Keiser is the most expensive school I found in my area, but the program is wonderful. Cant much for the high turn over rate of instructors, but despite that it was wonderful. I graduated April 2012 & still have not found a job in the Jacksonville area. Some of the hospitals and SNF (Skilled Nursing Facilities) do not hire Keiser students...not sure why, but i have heard with my own ears they some facilities feel as though we (students of Keiser) are not properly trained. I will suggest if you do attend Keiser University Jacksonville you already have your mind made up to take the NBCOT and move somewhere else to find a job because Florida alone is over saturated with OTA school and its very challenging to find a job...well at least for me & some of my other peers it is. But YES definitely go for it...its a GREAT field!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ellinahs in Pompano Beach, Florida

50 months ago

TexasRose in Jacksonville, Florida said: I attended and graduated from Keiser University Jacksonville OTA program. Now i must admit, YES Keiser is the most expensive school I found in my area, but the program is wonderful. Cant much for the high turn over rate of instructors, but despite that it was wonderful. I graduated April 2012 & still have not found a job in the Jacksonville area. Some of the hospitals and SNF (Skilled Nursing Facilities) do not hire Keiser students...not sure why, but i have heard with my own ears they some facilities feel as though we (students of Keiser) are not properly trained. I will suggest if you do attend Keiser University Jacksonville you already have your mind made up to take the NBCOT and move somewhere else to find a job because Florida alone is over saturated with OTA school and its very challenging to find a job...well at least for me & some of my other peers it is. But YES definitely go for it...its a GREAT field!

That's what I fear, to actually finish the program and have hardship finding employment. I am starting keiser in January for the OTA program. And it's hard to think of spending all that money for a "wonderful" program but be unemployed afterwards. I am also in Florida and it seems that almost everything within the medical field is saturated. Do you have any alternative programs that you would recommend ?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Inthebusiness in Seminole, Florida

44 months ago

I have never seen the Occupational Therapy Assistant job market this bad since Medicare Reform back in 1999. The new programs are not helping the Market. The students are sold on the idea they can further their education with a non regionally accredited overpriced Keiser school. Keiser school is pumping out more OTA graduates then there are jobs in Florida. The effect has been devastating causing salaries to be lowered dramatically. The fact is you can't use your Keiser degree or classes to go on to OT or nursing school at any college or university. You need to seriously consider going to a public accredited school that is cheaper and all your hard work can be used for further education if you want or have to. This message will probably be flaged by a Keiser administrator. This is the facts and the truth.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Rae2013 in Deltona, Florida

33 months ago

So glad that I did not go to Keiser University for my OTA degree. I was lucky and got into Daytona State College the first time I applied. My degree was less than eight thousand including books and fees. I did take out loans but my repayment is less than seventy dollars a month. I almost went to Keiser in Orlando. If I had gone to Keiser I would have graduated Dec. 2012 instead of May 2013. For the money saved I am glad I waited. I know where I work we have had Keiser students and the staff has not been impressed with them.
Keiser is putting out more graduates than job openings. Salaries are lower because of their mess. Now there are four schools one state school and four private schools pumping out graduates in the Orlando area. I have classmates that cannot find a job since graduating. PTA's are having a tough time also.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Anomyous in Miami, Florida

30 months ago

sil2012 in Miami, Florida said: does anyone know any other school besides KEISER for OTA???...I live in Miami..

Keiser is the only accredited school of the OTAS Program and
I think Barry and F.I.U. have good OT program.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Louisville, Kentucky

16 months ago

Keiser's OTA For Profit Program has flooded the Florida market and there are no jobs now because of their greed.

I attended COTA/L School in Louisville KY in 2014 and it cost 12,500 for the program.

Keiser is a rip off for profit school who prey on those without the chops to get into a regular university.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Chelsea in Florida

15 months ago

JayCee in Orlando, Florida said: Just graduated from Keiser in December. Go for it! Keiser was awesome and I believe they prepared me adequately for both my fieldwork and the NBCOT exam. Found out I passed the exam a couple weeks ago and now I've been looking for a job. Everyone I know that has previously graduated from Keiser's COTA program all have found jobs.

I'm glad you liked the OTA program, I see so many mixed reviews. I am taking Anatomy/Physiology I and II at Broward College right now before I start the program. Am I able to complete the two classes and start the program next fall? Or does the program only start once a year in January?

How many classes do you take every semester? Is it 16 months or 24 months full time? Sorry for all the questions, I couldn't find the answers on their site. Any info would really help!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Anitta in West Palm Beach, Florida

13 months ago

I was wondering about the Master Program with Keisser University. I just called and they will not give me any information until their program open up in March. I was able to look online, I saw the requirements ( pre req, some reccomandations, and one year as a COTA - experience), How about the cost? How long it last ( 16 weeks?) how many semesters , is 16 weeks continuing ?
I wanted more details. It is worthed?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Little Me in Austin, Texas

5 months ago

This has been an issue for me. I do not understand why a program will not let you talk with anyone prior to starting an application. So far, the people have been very two-faced there. I had many legitimate questions that are either pushed to the side or turned against me. I talked to many different people trying to get answers and they all seemed different. Several admissions reps stated that they only allow a number (6?) of pre-requisites to count; and I have heard from others online that this is their way to get more money; even if you have taken a class and passed with a "B."

First off, you must understand that IF you even get in, you are put on a waiting list. I was told you will not know where that will be (likely over a year and a half or two AFTER being accepted). Once you start, it takes a year of full time class work (including the 6 months of non-paid full time internship).

Tuition; now there's a very confusing situation. The net calculator puts the tuition for the program at ~52k. However, if you look at the catalog, you will notice that it is ~72k. VERY big difference, and trying to get a straight answer is lacking.

My gut is saying run from this school, but there are also many factors to consider. There are limited bridge programs out there that only require travel every 3-4 weekends (maybe 5 of ~13 options). Changes in healthcare are cutting COTA pay and no telling what that will do to OT pay. That does mean that there will likely be an increase in COTA's trying to get into OT school. The 30% cut in reimbursement rates are real and no telling where they will end.

If you 100% have your heart set on being and OTR, then maybe it's worth a shot. Personally, I enjoy the field of OT, but hate the limitations of being a COTA. This is also a hard decision for me and one that is time sensitive. I wish you the best and had hoped I could also find the same answer you are looking for (I have been searching for about 9 months myself).

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Davey in Austin, Texas

5 months ago

These for-profit schools are only in it for the money, they could care less if you get a job or not. The NBCOT pass rate at these schools is horrible, they attract people into their web of deceit by advertising fake pass rates of 100%, when actually, the pass rate was more in the 60%-70% range. One Kaiser school started with 26 students but only graduated 9, not because they failed, but because they walked out of the program.

At the end of July, I will be hanging up my COTA shoes for as new career and I don't regret it one bit. Declining pay, tighter regulations for OTA's, and fewer areas in which to work is what has caused me to change my career for the third time in my life. Hopefully, this will be my last..

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.