OTA Student Accepted into OT program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Stayseestace in Killeen, Texas

25 months ago

Hi.

I was just curious to see if anyone got accepted into an OT program while they were in an OTA student.

I would love to go straight to OT school but, I wouldn't be able to start (if accepted to any of the programs I'm looking into) until the Fall of 2014 because I need to finish my pre-reqs by inconvenient/early deadlines.

Does it make sense to go to an OTA program until you get accepted to an OT program? I feel like I might not be looking at this the right way but it almost makes sense.

Advice, please :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bigzay in Nashville, Tennessee

24 months ago

I currently got accepted into an OTA program in Nashville, TN. I have also been looking into the same thing. With any post-graduate school (MSOT, DOT), from what I have found, you have to either have a Bachelor's in any area, then apply to the OT masters program. There are some schools, Belmont here in Nashville for example, that have accelerated programs so you can go from OTA to OT. All you have to have is an associates in OTA. Here is what I decided to do, and I would suggest you look into this as well. In your area, Find a college (Community college or university) that has a PRE-OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY program. Look into that. If you like it, apply and attend. It will be easier to get into the OT program if you do this. And if its at a CC you will be able to transfer right into a university program in your area, granted you meet all the requirements. Check out www.aota.com, there they have a list separated by states of the accredited schools that have associates, Bachelors, and doctorate programs.

If under the schools name it says "(OT - professional entry-level master's)" this means you have to have a bachelors degree before you apply to the Masters program.

If under the schools name it says "(OT - professional entry-level master's and combined baccalaureate/master's)" this means you can transfer from a PRE-OCCUPATIONAL PROGRAM or just apply to the program and earn your bachelors and masters at the same time. This is the route Im taking. To me, its way less stressful, and you don't have to take our GRE because your already in the masters program.

Hope this helped

isaiah

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

futureotgirlinnashville in Bennettsville, South Carolina

9 months ago

bigzay in Nashville, Tennessee said: I currently got accepted into an OTA program in Nashville, TN. I have also been looking into the same thing. With any post-graduate school (MSOT, DOT), from what I have found, you have to either have a Bachelor's in any area, then apply to the OT masters program. There are some schools, Belmont here in Nashville for example, that have accelerated programs so you can go from OTA to OT. All you have to have is an associates in OTA. Here is what I decided to do, and I would suggest you look into this as well. In your area, Find a college ( Community college or university) that has a PRE-
Hope this helped

isaiah

Isaiah,
I'll be relocating to Nashville in January and I have a lot of questions about ot in Nashville! I hope you can help me. I currently am a sophomore here in college in nc, and Im trying to decide between attending nscc's cota program and then going to Belmont's mot program, or if I should just continue on at TSU and complete just the masters program. Is the cost to attend Belmont's program worth it? would I be back tracking to become a cota first? Thanks!
Amanda
amandalynnephotography@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Superman.1938 in Brentwood, Tennessee

8 months ago

futureotgirlinnashville in Bennettsville, South Carolina said: Isaiah,
I'll be relocating to Nashville in January and I have a lot of questions about ot in Nashville! I hope you can help me. I currently am a sophomore here in college in nc, and Im trying to decide between attending nscc's cota program and then going to Belmont's mot program, or if I should just continue on at TSU and complete just the masters program. Is the cost to attend Belmont's program worth it? would I be back tracking to become a cota first? Thanks!
Amanda
amandalynnephotography@gmail.com

I am an nscc OTA program alum. IMHO the nscc program is unnecessarily difficult, and will plce unneeded stress on your life and relationships. My advice to you would be to look into Roane State or another school. Most of the class is frustrated at the way the program is being run. 16 months later, I'm sure Isaiah would agree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.