Salaries on the upper-right look kind of high.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 269)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

jasmine in Smithfield, Rhode Island

69 months ago

Dana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Oh to answer your question about home health pay, in home health you get paid by the client not by the time. You get a certain rate when all the paperwork is in per person. You get reimbursed for mileage but it is not an hourly job pay.

hi.do u know what the pay per person is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

I do not know what a cota makes in home health. The pay for OTR varies to somewhere about $36 per visit. ( when the completed paperwork was in). Plus whatever they pay per mileage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Footballgrl in WICHITA FALLS, Texas

68 months ago

cotapril in Wichita Falls, Texas said: I agree with the above poster. I could not have went to school for any other 2 year degree and make this much money. I live in an area where there are shortages of both staff and educational facilities with that degree and I make 68K per year. I previously lived in the New England area and their starting pay was $13-18 per hour. I have 4 years experience. Hope this helps.

***Where did you go to school?*** Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

michaels girl in wichita falls tx

68 months ago

cotapril... i also would like to know where you went to school. i am going to school for my masters in ot but am in the beginning i would like to get into the feild sooner. im an lvn also. i have been searching all day for schools that offer the cota program near here...nothing i did however see an online program in occupational therapy aide is it worth it to do this in the mean time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

COTAGIRL in Palm Bay, Florida

67 months ago

COTAMAN said: I worked as a COTA for 27 years and was making $28.00 an hour in Los Angeles which is about right for someone with my experience. You can expect to make about $16 to $18 and hour in most states. In New Hampshire I was told by recruiters that the average pay scale for COTA's was $15 and hour. Colorado is the lowest at $12 an hour.

wow that is pretty low pay for a COTA. I live in Florida and the average rate for a COTA with a couple of years experience is $25 an hour. When I first graduated school 7 years ago with my degree I was making $19 and I make much more than that now being in a management position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mae in Cary, North Carolina

67 months ago

jasmine in Smithfield, Rhode Island said: hi. im almost finished with school for ota. im interested in moving to nc.i looked on the website therapy jobs and found that some agencies pay relocation bonuses. im interested in a home health agency travel to different clients. how much could i expect to make per client? any idea?

Hi, I live in NC and will grad. in OTA next May a lot of my friends just grad. this past May and are getting $24 an hour that is in SNF Don't know if you will have a lot of luck doing home health right out of school you need full supervision for 1 yr. and not many people want to send two therapist to do the job but good luck NC is great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Winter Haven, Florida

67 months ago

AVOID by all means working for SALUS rehab. Since the new president, Chris Bennett, took over, SALUS rehab has become a place where the therapy staff who are professionals, are treated worst than factory workers. Lack of respect, lies, 100%+ productivy required or else you go home early. The president, who is herself an OT, thinks that the therapy staff are her worst enemies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chris ann in Richardton, North Dakota

67 months ago

cotapril in Wichita Falls, Texas said: It is a SNF. I work at 2 of them (for the same company) and PRN rates are $35-45 here depending on your experience. I made $45 per hour all summer long PRN d/t the shortage of staff. My current rate is $33 per hour at my regular job, but as I said before shortage of staff and programs = increase in demand and salary. My facilities are 10 minutes apart. But other assistants in my area are making the same as me w/o traveling to another facility. I am not with a staffing company or a traveling company. I work for a nationally based rehab company. Hope this helps.

can I ask you how many yrs experience you have?? I am looking into a staffing company for travel assisgments,)so I have a idea of salary)have 8 yrs in PEDS, lack of jobs here in ND and pay is LOW, thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gee gee sc in Sylva, North Carolina

64 months ago

Shayla in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: My mom graduated from Kaplan in pittsburgh as an ota. She started out making 23/hr but after a couple months went to 28/hr now she travels and is making over 30/hr. That might be a good idea for you if you don't have small children. Traveling agencies pay for everything, your rental, airfair, they set you up in a fully furnished paid apartment and give you an extra 3-400 a month as allowance on top of your weekly paychecks. And you can choose where you want to work. Texas, Hawaii, Florida wherever. Exciting. If you have any questions my e-mail is sweetkiises26@yahoo.com

I'm currently completing my OTA and i'm interested in traveling in the future. Does she like the travel? What is the name of the agency she's working for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Cary, North Carolina

64 months ago

Mae in Cary, North Carolina said: Hi, I live in NC and will grad. in OTA next May a lot of my friends just grad. this past May and are getting $24 an hour that is in SNF Don't know if you will have a lot of luck doing home health right out of school you need full supervision for 1 yr. and not many people want to send two therapist to do the job but good luck NC is great!

Mae, I'm planning to start the OTA program this summer. I'd like to ask you about the program in NC - can you please email me? cwray789@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Pamela in Nashville, Tennessee

64 months ago

It seems like there are such mixed feelings about this line of work. I am considering going to school for an OTA program, but I am very hesitant. I want to work with special needs children specifically, but it seems like that is the most competitive area to land a job in. I really don't think I want to deal with toileting people...maybe I could handle it better if it was with kids, but I still don't know. Is the toileting and bathing really a huge part of this line of work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

Pamela in Nashville, Tennessee said: It seems like there are such mixed feelings about this line of work. I am considering going to school for an OTA program, but I am very hesitant. I want to work with special needs children specifically, but it seems like that is the most competitive area to land a job in. I really don't think I want to deal with toileting people...maybe I could handle it better if it was with kids, but I still don't know. Is the toileting and bathing really a huge part of this line of work?

One word... YES! If you can't handle poop and peep, this job is not for you.

shaeD in Wichita Falls, Texas

62 months ago

cotapril in Wichita Falls, Texas said: I agree with the above poster. I could not have went to school for any other 2 year degree and make this much money. I live in an area where there are shortages of both staff and educational facilities with that degree and I make 68K per year. I previously lived in the New England area and their starting pay was $13-18 per hour. I have 4 years experience. Hope this helps.

I also live in Wichita falls and I appling to An OTA program for the fall! I have been hearing that there is a shortage here so I hope this is to my atvantage.

ardentanglophile in Bellevue, Washington

62 months ago

amy in Clinton Township, Michigan said: 68k seems to be high for a salary unless you are traveling or with a staff company, I am curently making 24 an hour and 27 an hour PRN at another facility

Now I know that the salaries are a bit inflated. I was scanning for jobs on this website...you see how on the right it shows COTA salary in the mid fifties...well I just got a shock. THere was a position in Vancouver, WA for a COTA with 2-4 years experience and the pay was $13.61 to 15.04!!!!!!!! I just hope this is an aberration and not prevalent in other areas. I am planning to move to Texas or PA and I hope the salaries are better than this!!

Fuzzi in Pacific Northwest

62 months ago

ardentanglophile in Bellevue, Washington said: Now I know that the salaries are a bit inflated. I was scanning for jobs on this website...you see how on the right it shows COTA salary in the mid fifties...well I just got a shock. THere was a position in Vancouver, WA for a COTA with 2-4 years experience and the pay was $13.61 to 15.04!!!!!!!! I just hope this is an aberration and not prevalent in other areas. I am planning to move to Texas or PA and I hope the salaries are better than this!!

Wow, those wages are a real slap in the face. Many CNA's are making more than that. Hope nobody applies for that Vancouver job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

stephanie in Kansas City, Missouri

62 months ago

Does anyone know what the website is called for COTA's I tried to find it but couldn't. Thank you :)

62 months ago

Yeah, I was really surprised. I do not think it truly representative of COTA salaries. I saw on many traveling assignments that you could make $23-30/hr. As long as I can make at least $19.00 /hr, I will be satisfied. I have had to lower my standards quite a bit.

I start a part-time program at Green River Community College and the instructors said that their graduates are 100% employed after taking the NBCOT test. So I am anxious to get learning and working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

HeatherjStew

62 months ago

chobers in Claremont, New Hampshire said: Angie:

Texas is on my very short list of places I'm considering. I have to be near horses because I am getting interested in Hippotherapy. I figure there are probably a few horses in TX.

Steve

What part(s) of Texas are you considering?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Fort Mill, South Carolina

62 months ago

jasmine in Smithfield, Rhode Island said: hi. im almost finished with school for ota. im interested in moving to nc.i looked on the website therapy jobs and found that some agencies pay relocation bonuses. im interested in a home health agency travel to different clients. how much could i expect to make per client? any idea?

Hi Jasmine, you can look for jobs here on indeed.com or check careerbuilder.com I am originally from Mass and living just south of Charlotte, NC...you'll love it here!!!

62 months ago

Would you mind divulging what your hourly wage is? I really want to do OTA but I also have a chance to return to nursing and I know the money is better but the stress is also greater. My fear is that I won't make enough to cover health insurance for my children and husband. THanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vji in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

does anyone know what the pay is for home health cota's in chicago and also what agencies to look for?
I am starting an ota program and just want to do my research a have some contaacts lined up
thanks

jeannie0130@msn.com in Bellevue, Washington

60 months ago

Wow! I just saw an PRN job for COTA in Pittsburgh starts at $14/hr. Omg! How can they pay such low salary for a professional person. I mean we have to go through training, clinicial experience, and take a national exam. Why is it low in some areas and not in others?

Fuzzi in Pacific Northwest

60 months ago

jeannie0130@msn.com in Bellevue, Washington said: Wow! I just saw an PRN job for COTA in Pittsburgh starts at $14/hr. Omg! How can they pay such low salary for a professional person. I mean we have to go through training, clinicial experience, and take a national exam. Why is it low in some areas and not in others?

Because some places don't get it that COTA's are professionals who must get an associates degree in the field. They equate the title, Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant, with the title Certified Nursing Assistant. It's bad enough that people don't understand occupational therapy, but they really don't understand the role of the COTA.

60 months ago

Fuzzi,

You are here in the NW! ARe you employed as a COTA? Do you mind divulging what you are making? ARe you a traveler? ARe you happy with your current job? I totally agree that people do not know what COTA's do. When I told my mother about it she kept calling it "orthopedic assistant!" It really is a profession and I wish people would giv eit the respect it deserves..

60 months ago

jeannie0130@msn.com in Bellevue, Washington said: Fuzzi,

You are here in the NW! ARe you employed as a COTA? Do you mind divulging what you are making? ARe you a traveler? ARe you happy with your current job? I totally agree that people do not know what COTA's do. When I told my mother about it she kept calling it "orthopedic assistant!" It really is a profession and I wish people would giv eit the respect it deserves..

PS> I contacted the Indeed website to enquire where they were getting their salary information because it really seems high. No response so far....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

jeannie0130@msn.com in Bellevue, Washington said: PS> I contacted the Indeed website to enquire where they were getting their salary information because it really seems high. No response so far....

Look at the salaries updated today. It is unbelievable. COTA's that are making 99k please speak up! What are you doing? Where are you working?

60 months ago

I tried to contact Indeed to find out where they are getting their figures but I have received no response. I think everyone is aware that COTAs really don't make that much. I will be perfectly happy to make $40,000 when I graduate. Of course, I have to move because in Seattle, that's chicken feed.

cotapril

60 months ago

yes cotas in texas are making very nice salaries. Im making $50 hour for PRN at snf and $50 visit. I've been out of school 5 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Gosh I sure hope it stays that way. WE are seriously considering moving to Texas for employment and the heat. We are looking at San Antonio and Austin. What about the competition for work among new grads though. I noticed at least two colleges with COTA program. Here in Washington State, there is only one accredited program. Although two programs are pending.

stephanie

60 months ago

lol

stephanie

60 months ago

who makes more surg techs or COTA's?

Eric in Raleigh, North Carolina

60 months ago

Mae in Cary, North Carolina said: Hi, I live in NC and will grad. in OTA next May a lot of my friends just grad. this past May and are getting $24 an hour that is in SNF Don't know if you will have a lot of luck doing home health right out of school you need full supervision for 1 yr. and not many people want to send two therapist to do the job but good luck NC is great!

Hello, I am looking at going to the program over at Durham Tech for the COTA program, but have a lot of questions. 1) How much would it help a person get into OT school later on that have crappy grades. 2) How much does a starting OT make around the RDU area? enough to feed a family on? 3) Did you go to Durham Tech, and if so, what did you think about it? I tired last yeard to get into an OT program but got denied by 3 schools, and not sure weather to try again.

Darren in San Diego, California

58 months ago

I love being a C.O.T.A in Detroit, Michigan said: Hi I am a C.O.T.A and I will be moving to fortworth texas in Feb. of 2010. I would like to know what do you think my hourly rate would be considering that by the time I move I will have one year and a half experience. I am seeking a prn position at a skilled nursing facility.

From what I here its around $35 to $40 per hour. Be warned though, I am in the process of reinstating my license there and they told me it could take up to three months to get it back. This is due to the high volume increase in licensure applications the last few years. Interestingly, one of the staff members at the Texas OT board stated there has been a lot of applications come from COTAs in California.

apple in Lexington, Kentucky

58 months ago

Pamela in Nashville, Tennessee said: It seems like there are such mixed feelings about this line of work. I am considering going to school for an OTA program, but I am very hesitant. I want to work with special needs children specifically, but it seems like that is the most competitive area to land a job in. I really don't think I want to deal with toileting people...maybe I could handle it better if it was with kids, but I still don't know. Is the toileting and bathing really a huge part of this line of work?

Hi, I work in a skilled nursing facility. One of the top ones in my area in Ky. just started a few months ago , I'm a new COTA, $25 hr. ADL's (toileting and bathing) are really not that big a deal. I have 8-11 patients a day for 12 weeks at a time. Maybe a few of them will need bathing and dressing techniques taught to them. I will do one a day, so that may turn into 3 a week. It's no big deal, takes about 45 minutes. You learn to do it in steps.

Have them pick out their clothes, put them on their walker or in their w/c, take them to the bathroom, stand up, take clothes off, shower, sit back in wheel chair, get dressed.....etc. Then your done. Toileting is no big deal either. You may be in the middle of a treatment and they need to go. Just take them to the bathroom via walker or wheelchair, help them stand if they need it, pull down their pants, sit them down and step out for a few minuutes. Stay by the door, when their ready.....have them clean themselves if they can, if they cannot, make sure you have gloves on, you may have to use wet towels, clean, stand them up, pull up pants, both of you wash your hands, then your done. If they need more assist (two people), grab someone to go with you to help.

If you choose to go into this field, you will do fieldwork clinicals. Pick 2-3 different areas to do your clinicals. That way you will get a variety. ie: nursing home, schools, hospital: rehab, acute care, home health,outpatient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

COTA in Fort Myers, Florida

58 months ago

Apple in KY - Outstanding answer/explanation.

Pamela in TN -Toileting/personal hygiene isn't that bad and you do get used to it. Gloves, wet wipes and a can of air freshener make it much more tolerable. LTC facility patients tend to need more help in this area. SNF/subacute settings, don't need as much assistant because the goal is to go home. Patients who will be going home are usually very motivated to do this task without assistance and would prefer no one help them because of modesty issues. Usually patients are embarrassed and apologize that you have to help them. If they do need your help, they need the skilled services of occupational therapy. CNA's do for the patient, but we teach the patient to do for themselves. One promotes dependence, the later independence. That is how Medicare recognizes the distinction between the skilled service of a COTA versus a CNA. We get to see our patients regain their independence.

Apple in Kentucky - it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and a bright future in the field!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

EMILY in KY in Louisville, Kentucky

58 months ago

Apple in Kentucky, would you be willing to be shadowed? I need some hours for my application to the JCC COTA program. Will really appreciate your time and help. U seem very smart, bright and very Informed.

Thanks Emily.

58 months ago

*** Alert** to everyone that uses this site for its true intended purpose.

Please note that the new postings from Kate, are really from the individual whom was recently posting (impersonating) under the name of Carrie Prejean on this site. This individual has recently resurfaced as Kate. I suggest a boycott by ignoring his/her negative, denegrating comments about the O.T. profession and others. Notice the consistent, historically negative, comments this person makes of people who post to this board. Insults are thrown out regarding people lacking a basic grammar school education, plus more.

Offensive comments can also be flagged under "Report abuse".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie

58 months ago

Can anyone help me? I'm looking for Brown Mackie information? I'm currently majoring in COTA as many here know but I'm hearing theirs been lawsuits against Brown Mackie for scamming? I am working my butt off and unfortunately I need to get through a.s.a.p because the small business my dad has worked at for over 20+ years closed. He has worked hard sometimes more than 2 jobs at a time to provide for our family and I. I need to contribute or be able to afford to if need be. He was the main bread winner my mom is diabled but he makes too much for her to recieve any type of benefits for the govt. He is very educated at what he did/does. But they live in a small rural area where there are basically no other jobs thanks to NAFTA! I'm soo very stressed this was just the icing on the cake.

58 months ago

Hello Stephanie. I guess you are talking about the lack of accredidation for the Brown Mackie school you are attending. I went to the AOTA.org site and typed in accredited OTA schools for your city. I found out Metropolitan Community College does have its accredidation for their OTA program. You may want to look at transferring if that was your concern. You happen to live in a state that has about 6 currently accredited programs, which is really good. Hope this helps.

hannah_A in Louisville, Kentucky

58 months ago

Stephanie, can u transfer to Jcc I think you are in Louisville right? what made you apply into their program instead of the Community College?. Well try and see if you can transfer those hours ASAP. Good Luck.

As far as pay go , you will be able to make enough to support your family. COTA jobs are plenty. Especially here in Texas. We make close to $50 an hr in the Houston area if you don't mind moving.

hannah_A in Louisville, Kentucky

58 months ago

BTW I am from Louisville.

Juliana_a in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

Moved To Houston From TN...NO REGRETS

Stephanie

58 months ago

COTA in Fort Myers, Florida said: Hello Stephanie. I guess you are talking about the lack of accredidation for the Brown Mackie school you are attending. I went to the AOTA.org site and typed in accredited OTA schools for your city. I found out Metropolitan Community College does have its accredidation for their OTA program. You may want to look at transferring if that was your concern. You happen to live in a state that has about 6 currently accredited programs, which is really good. Hope this helps.

Whoa everyone thank you soo very much for the information! dang $50 an hour I'd move anywhere I'd be able to send half of that to my parents not that they'd ask but my mom is my best friend and is begginning to accept my $ thankfully. I only owe her thousands. :) If I misspelled please excuse it. I'm literally exhausted.

58 months ago

Very sound advise.

58 months ago

Charlie Smythe in Dallas, Texas said: Also, the catch is with SNFs - when they offer a higher hourly rate either per diem or for staff - and they can send you home, they don't have to deal with the waste of paying staff for down time if the census drops off. But, you've committed the day to them or most of it - and, if you're sent home, you can't so easily make up those hours. So, the increased hourly rate averages out to close to the same hourly rate at a hospital. The inflated hourly rate offered by the SNFs lures therapists to work for them - but, the facilities come out ahead in the end. Moral of the story - don't multiple the $46 a hour x 40 hours until the end of the week - and, have a back up PRN home health job to fill in the gaps if you count on the extra income.

Stephanie he is right on the money. I would take this as gospel truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie

58 months ago

COTA in Fort Myers, Florida said: Stephanie he is right on the money. I would take this as gospel truth.

Thank you everyone for contributing. Just a question: who makes more R.T's or COTA's. I hate to sound as if I care about the $ only but after the hours I'm putting in getting migraines from thinking too hard for example I did schoolwork from 10a.m till 10:30 p.m I want to make sure I make enough to make it all worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie

58 months ago

Charlie Smythe in Dallas, Texas said: Recreational Therapist - Kansas City, KS 66102 Methodology New Search Help

10th% 25th% 75th% 90th%

$33,568 $37,869 $48,188 $53,280

10th% 25th% 75th% 90th%

$33,580 $37,879 $48,203 $53,304

Benefit Median Amount % of Total
Base Salary $42,594 69.7%
Bonuses $7 0.0%
Social Security $3,259 5.3%
401k / 403b $1,534 2.5%
Disability $426 0.7%
Healthcare $5,722 9.4%
Pension $1,960 3.2%
Time Off $5,571 9.1%
Total $61,072 100%

What's your education worth?
Find out how your education compares to others Salary.com profiles for Recreational Therapist .

Enter your education:

Choose most relevant education NoneHigh SchoolCertificateAssociatesBachelorsMastersMBAJDMDPh. D

Source: HR Reported data as of July 2009

Here's salary for recreational therapist ---- you would need to find out if there are jobs available in your desired area to work.

thank you! you've been very helpful lately! care to come and do my Algebra for me? In college my lowest grade has been a 92% so far but math isn't a friend of mine I'm currently making a 84%. I still think COTA would be the best fit for me I was curious though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah a in katy, Texas

58 months ago

I have a question maybe charlie can answer if you can.

so can one work with Two agencies Home health- Home visits? I think full time is 22 visits per week. But can one do 44 visits with two different companies in order to maximize pay? Are we allowed to do it that way if we have the time?
And what is the pay for home visits in Texas? I know it says $30 but why are some people making $50? Is there a special certification that enables one to make more that the general COTAs?

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Once again an absolutely spot-on excellent answer!!! I wondered if you were an OTR. Have you ever considered being an educator professional?

I love being a C.O.T.A in Oak Park, Michigan

54 months ago

hannah_A in Louisville, Kentucky said: Stephanie, can u transfer to Jcc I think you are in Louisville right? what made you apply into their program instead of the Community College?. Well try and see if you can transfer those hours ASAP. Good Luck.

As far as pay go , you will be able to make enough to support your family. COTA jobs are plenty. Especially here in Texas. We make close to $50 an hr in the Houston area if you don't mind moving.

What are some great companys to work for in texas for permanent fulltime snf positions????? Thanks in advance

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.