State College of Florida for OTA? Venice vs Bradenton?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Tuna in Naples, Florida

17 months ago

Hi, just wondering if there are any graduates or students that have went or are going to State College of Florida? thoughts? Venice campus is closer to me (and the surrounding rent for places to live there seems cheaper) BUT is the education at the Bradenton campus better? Online it looks like they (Bradenton) has a building dedicated just for OT.

I'm knocking out all the classes but the OT specific classes down here before I quit my current job and transfer to be a full-time student up there. (figuring to be unemployed for 2 yrs/4 semesters).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

OTA New grad in Sarasota, Florida

15 months ago

I just graduated from the OTA program in May of 2013 at the Bradenton campus. It's an awesome program but challenging. The Bradenton campus is the only site for State college of florida that you can complete the OTA program.

The education there is excellent, the professors are very supportive and good mentors. I recommend that you apply if you are interested in this field.

However, it's a very competitive program and they except around 24 students once per year. Therefore, I recommend you get all your prereqs complete and try to get good grades before applying to the program.

I believe that they prepared us very well to work in the OT field and most of the people I've spoken to from my class has gotten job offers.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Big Tuna in Naples, Florida

15 months ago

OTA New grad in Sarasota, Florida said: I just graduated from the OTA program in May of 2013 at the Bradenton campus. It's an awesome program but challenging. The Bradenton campus is the only site for State college of florida that you can complete the OTA program.

The education there is excellent, the professors are very supportive and good mentors. I recommend that you apply if you are interested in this field.

However, it's a very competitive program and they except around 24 students once per year. Therefore, I recommend you get all your prereqs complete and try to get good grades before applying to the program.

I believe that they prepared us very well to work in the OT field and most of the people I've spoken to from my class has gotten job offers.

Good Luck

Hey thank you so much for sharing your experience w/ me and also the advice - it is much appreciated. I wanted to congratulate you and wish you success in your new career! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Big Tuna in Naples, Florida

15 months ago

Shawn in Fresno, California said: There are 16 OTA programs in Florida. Most of them are Kaiser. I've talked to a lot of recruiters and they all say there is nothing in Florida. I've even called individual facilities and they all say the same thing. Way to many COTA's. Texas is the same way and California is on it's way there too, give a year or so.

Shawn, man.... thats a buzz kill. Thanks for your honesty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ota new grad in Sarasota, Florida

15 months ago

Shawn from Fresno, CA, you sound bitter. There are plenty of jobs in Florida. I've gotten job offers too before I even graduated from the program. There are a lot of kaiser programs here but state college of Florida in Bradenton offers an Ota program too.

@big tuna, thank you and there are plenty of opportunities in Florida. I've come to notice there is alot of hate and trolling specifically on the ot/Ota forums on indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.