There are too many COTAs in upstate SC-can't find a job. Plus OTAs are just glorified CNAs!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 73)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

COTAandPROUD in Greenville, South Carolina

61 months ago

Amazing! What kind of facilities have you people been working in? I am a COTA/L and I love my work! I have worked in long term care and in acute care with no regrets in either setting. Working in the hospital, I had the opportunity to work with post-op patients, teaching them the compensatory strategies they needed to optimize their independence following trauma or debilitation. My patients were extremely grateful to learn new ways to overcome obstacles in their lives. I got to alternate between inpatient and outpatient services and provide treatment in many areas. I work with wonderful OT's who never make my job seem menial or meaningless. The field of Occupational Therapy is a wonderful profession! All I can say to you who are complaining is that you need to get a job in a facility where you can utilize your skills and knowledge to provide the kind of service that you can be proud of!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

sparky in Spartanburg, South Carolina

61 months ago

COTAandPROUD in Greenville, South Carolina said: Amazing! I had the opportunity to work with post-op patients, teaching them the compensatory strategies they needed to optimize their independence following trauma or debilitation.

My goodness... this sounds like the gobblygook we have to write on the progress notes. Don't you know how to write with normal words. You are not impressing anyone saying "compensatory strategies" or "optimize independence" or "utilize skills" or "overcome obstacles". Geez oh man come down to earth and just say it like it is. You teach people to use a sock aide and you hand them toilet paper to wipe the butts and you pull them up to stand with a walker and you show them how to pick up clothes off the floor with a reacher. And you bill plenty of money for it. And really most anyone off the streets could do it if they only could use those big words to make it sound like it is something that CNAs are too dumb to do. Really people are so gullible it is unbelievable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

zilam98 in Cleveland, Ohio

61 months ago

sparky in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: My goodness... this sounds like the gobblygook we have to write on the progress notes. Don't you know how to write with normal words. You are not impressing anyone saying "compensatory strategies" or "optimize independence" or "utilize skills" or "overcome obstacles". Geez oh man come down to earth and just say it like it is. You teach people to use a sock aide and you hand them toilet paper to wipe the butts and you pull them up to stand with a walker and you show them how to pick up clothes off the floor with a reacher. And you bill plenty of money for it. And really most anyone off the streets could do it if they only could use those big words to make it sound like it is something that CNAs are too dumb to do. Really people are so gullible it is unbelievable.

that's what you call creative documentation, which in this day and age of cutbacks, corporate people are gonna force you to do just to keep the bucks rolling--especially for those pencil pushers in their comfy offices just waiting for the money to come in from those laboring in the trenches. even PTs are made to do such now in my company, and one PTA complained,"do they think that medicare people are too dumb to figure out what it is we're writing?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

zilam98 in Cleveland, Ohio said: that's what you call creative documentation, which in this day and age of cutbacks, corporate people are gonna force you to do just to keep the bucks rolling--especially for those pencil pushers in their comfy offices just waiting for the money to come in from those laboring in the trenches. even PTs are made to do such now in my company, and one PTA complained,"do they think that medicare people are too dumb to figure out what it is we're writing?"

Well here is my question. How do you get the job to be the ones in the office pushing the pencils please. Why do they get that while we have to do the grunge work. And no the medicare people are not too dumb to figure it out, they are the smart ones with the good government benefits. They surely know it is a lot of nonsense but heck yes it is better to do that and occasionally visit a place and write some nonsense up rather than really having to do work. How do you get that job too? I certainly will admit I am the dumb one doing the OT while smarter people than me have figured out how to make money without killing themselves. I really really really need an answer to this question. And no smart aleck OT needs to tell me to quit and save the world from the likes of me cause I would in a heartbeat if I could.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I tried to get that government job with medicare but they responding to me that they only want RNS or social workers. OTs are not considered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

sparky in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: Well here is my question. How do you get the job to be the ones in the office pushing the pencils please. Why do they get that while we have to do the grunge work. And no the medicare people are not too dumb to figure it out, they are the smart ones with the good government benefits. They surely know it is a lot of nonsense but heck yes it is better to do that and occasionally visit a place and write some nonsense up rather than really having to do work. How do you get that job too? I certainly will admit I am the dumb one doing the OT while smarter people than me have figured out how to make money without killing themselves. I really really really need an answer to this question. And no smart aleck OT needs to tell me to quit and save the world from the likes of me cause I would in a heartbeat if I could.

to make that kind of smart money, you'd have to be cold-blooded or thick-faced. i remember my dad not making so much, and even losing money, from his business coz he always strives to be honest and have integrity in all his dealings. our family almost became homeless even though he's renowned as one of the best engineers back home. that's why i've had to come here to help out the family finances. and mind you, i had a really good job with a decently good pay that i really loved, but it just wasnt enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

sparky in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: I tried to get that government job with medicare but they responding to me that they only want RNS or social workers. OTs are not considered.

i think they wouldnt want someone in the therapy field to oversee those billings to prevent bias and maintain objectivity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KENNY in Louisville, Kentucky

61 months ago

This will boil your bloods all you OT's that work for integrity. Sometimes ago i visited a friend in Tx who noticed how much $$$$ OT's billed for basically ADL's that CNA's are supposed to do. He decided to go Private Practice. Last year alone he made six figures through bogus billing which is not illegal mind you this is OT billing.I do believe he has no heart but at least he's determined to make something out of those years spent in OT school. I don't agree with his believes and it's gotten me wondering what exactly do they do to you in OT school that leads to this kind of numbness? Mmhhhhhhh.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

KENNY in Louisville, Kentucky said: This will boil your bloods all you OT's that work for integrity. Sometimes ago i visited a friend in Tx who noticed how much $$$$ OT's billed for basically ADL's that CNA's are supposed to do. He decided to go Private Practice. Last year alone he made six figures through bogus billing which is not illegal mind you this is OT billing.I do believe he has no heart but at least he's determined to make something out of those years spent in OT school. I don't agree with his believes and it's gotten me wondering what exactly do they do to you in OT school that leads to this kind of numbness? Mmhhhhhhh.....

hmmm im not sure i get your point here...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

killertime in Saint Clair, Michigan

61 months ago

if all of you hate being a COTA so much why dont you go back to school and become an OTR?? Stop hating and get off your butt and do somthing about it, if you don't like the conditions of which you are working, then find a job elsewhere! If you don't like being a COTA then go back to school. COTA's are not supposed to be doing CNA work, they are sopposed to be assisting the OTR, so if you find yourself doing CNA work, then maybe it's time to go work somewhere else...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

JUJU in Saint Augustine, Florida

61 months ago

Jillian,
You are on this forum way too much. Please go for walk, go to the gym, go out to eat. Do something else besides being on the computer all day. We get it that you hate your job etc....
Step away from the computer, put on a happy face and get out of the house and do something!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

DeAnne OTR in Brownwood, Texas

61 months ago

I fell sad for you that feel this way about OT. I love what I do. I dont have to defend that. But most importantly I love the people I come in contact with and the lives that I get to touch. I feel sorry for you that you are so jaded because the only one who loses out in an equation like this is the patient, and they need us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Jillian again ex-OT in Arizona said: I am an OTR - and still hate it - and don't like anyone in it - they're just too much. No, COTAs have their own caseload and do whatever they want to do - they think they're therapists and they're not and you can't tell them anything. That's the real world - don't know where you get your information from. It's people like you with your nasty/ignorant OTish attitude that makes the "profession" even more unbearable than it already is.

Sounds like you just had a sh**ty experience with the co-workers and maybe your experience in occupational therapy itself is jaded. I know I personally have seen my mother who's hand that was practically paralyzed become perfectly functional due to an OT who was certified in hand therapy. I had to drive her to her therapy and I got to sit and watch all the stuff she did with my mom to get her hand to work right. Maybe you just haven't had quite the success in being a therapist, so you blame all your problems on the OT field itself..

Besides, like PT and SLP aren't going the way of "herding the patients through therapy like cattle"! It is not really the individual therapist making these decisions to become a useless tool. It is the money that the companies and insurances push for. My mother has been a nurse for some 20+ years and she says that everything in the healthcare industry is jacked, so if you think that getting yourself out of OT is going to help then you are out of your mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Most of the people on this forum have convinced themselves that OT/PT is beneficial for their patients. When, in fact, they are just trying to prove to others that if they help people they will have some self-worth... I call this insecurity. When I become a nurse, I will be doing much more for my patients then I ever did as an OT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

You are talking like I am some kind of therapist, which I am not. So I am not looking through "OT eyes" ok? I just happen to have experience with some OT's in general. I also have experience working in an office with nurses, PTs, SLPs, aides, accountants, even massage therapists etc. Now I am no expert, I just do medical coding/billing for this company, but I guess what I don't understand is WHY Jillian, why do you dislike OT so much that you must banter on about it?
I mean c’mon, there are lots of careers that are “out in left field”-- like a chiropractor for instance, most people say that they are quacks who make a hefty paycheck for cracking your back, but others swear by it. It all seems like a personal thing to me, so could you explain why exactly you left the OT field besides not liking your co-workers, or because they billed for something that a CNA could cover? It happens every day in every profession to lie and stretch the truth to get better reimbursement. THAT would give some real insight as to why you praise these other professions and condone OT. I mean wow!! What in the world happened to you to build up so much hate for this particular field??? Just wondering, not only out of pure curiosity, but because I know several people who are considering going into this field and one who is already in OT school.
Thanks a bunch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in San Diego, California

60 months ago

If I had to do it all over again I would have become a PTA instead of a COTA. However, I've decided to leave therapies all together and get my nursing degree...a lot more jobs, more diverse areas to work in, and more job security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

"D" in La Puente, California

59 months ago

Lynn Jamie in South Carolina said: If you are someone who is looking to go get a degree in OTA, don't do it! There is an over abundance of OTAs in the greenville SC area and everyone is having a hard time finding jobs.

And being a COTA is basically being a CNA. What everyone doesn't tell you is that all OTAs do is help people get dressed and bathed and you wipe butts all day. It's really not an interesting career. My advise is get your PTA instead - there are way more jobs out there for PTAs.

Hello I am a COTA as well in the Los Angeles area. I've been a COTA for about 10 years and yes, sadly to say it is a constant battle with CNA's because they expect us to do their jobs. I became burnt out with especially nursing homes. Be careful, they pay more but the price with that comes with a constant battle with re-educating staff regarding what our purpose is as a COTA. I found that you can do other areas and gain more respect as a COTA in the Home Health area. I'm currently seeking a new sector which is in the wellness area, working as a COTA but if I would do this all over again I would have considered the RN program; there are so many areas you can get into, for example: case manager or education in a wellness program. I think you have to think of a long term job. Just think, can I perform a transfer which requires maximum assistance at say age 50 +. Hope this is helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

proud therapist in Chicago Heights, Illinois

51 months ago

COTAandPROUD in Greenville, South Carolina said: Amazing! What kind of facilities have you people been working in? I am a COTA/L and I love my work! I have worked in long term care and in acute care with no regrets in either setting. Working in the hospital, I had the opportunity to work with post-op patients, teaching them the compensatory strategies they needed to optimize their independence following trauma or debilitation. My patients were extremely grateful to learn new ways to overcome obstacles in their lives. I got to alternate between inpatient and outpatient services and provide treatment in many areas. I work with wonderful OT's who never make my job seem menial or meaningless. The field of Occupational Therapy is a wonderful profession! All I can say to you who are complaining is that you need to get a job in a facility where you can utilize your skills and knowledge to provide the kind of service that you can be proud of!

I really appreciate your comments, because every person above your comments were very negative. I am enrolled in the OTA program and at the meantime I am a national certified massage therapist and enjoy help client regain mobility in their limbs or what have you. That is the reason I am taking these courses. So for the individuals who are not happy with their previous careers, I believe you just haven't found the right facility where you can utilize your expertise. So I hope that you don't get complacent where work at now, finds somewhere else to work. Remember this is your career and not just a job. So where ever you work, your are still and therapist and no one can take that from you. So broaden you horizons. No one can stop you, but you. I wish you all the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Happy PTA/COTA/LMT in Lake Jackson, Texas

50 months ago

WOW! I'm amazed at the negativity....I noticed most of the posts are pretty old but I figured if someone stumbled upon these posts as I have that there would be more positive posts for someone to consider. I LOVE MY JOBS!! It saddens me to think that someone who has worked in this career feels that they just wipe butts and pull people up to a stand in their walkers all day. I feel sad for the patients that you have worked w/for your short sightedness....I do SO MUCH MORE than that...I listen to people and their problems, I help them problem solve for their every day trails and tribulations that their misfortune has caused them, I help people regain their strength, to walk again, to use their hand/shoulder after a stroke again, I help people rebuild their lives, to learn to live again, to live their lives again...sometimes in a different way...but, they need our help. I could go on and on about all that I have done for people in the years of my work. I have been told many times how appreciated I am and many times I have felt overwhelmed when someone has learned to feed themselves again or walk again...no greater joy is felt. It's to bad that some people don't realize how much they could do for other people. If anyone is looking into becoming a therapist do NOT let these posts make you reconsider, talk to a professional near you at different settings and see what they have to say. Even ask if you can observe one day and make sure it's somewhere you would like to work. Do those types of things before making a decision. :::stepping off my soap box:::

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lucy in Woburn, Massachusetts

50 months ago

Happy PTA/COTA/LMT in Lake Jackson, Texas said: WOW! I'm amazed at the negativity....I noticed most of the posts are pretty old but I figured if someone stumbled upon these posts as I have that there would be more positive posts for someone to consider. I LOVE MY JOBS!! It saddens me to think that someone who has worked in this career feels that they just wipe butts and pull people up to a stand in their walkers all day. I feel sad for the patients that you have worked w/for your short sightedness....I do SO MUCH MORE than that...I listen to people and their problems, I help them problem solve for their every day trails and tribulations that their misfortune has caused them, I help people regain their strength, to walk again, to use their hand/shoulder after a stroke again, I help people rebuild their lives, to learn to live again, to live their lives again...sometimes in a different way...but, they need our help. I could go on and on about all that I have done for people in the years of my work. I have been told many times how appreciated I am and many times I have felt overwhelmed when someone has learned to feed themselves again or walk again...no greater joy is felt. It's to bad that some people don't realize how much they could do for other people. If anyone is looking into becoming a therapist do NOT let these posts make you reconsider, talk to a professional near you at different settings and see what they have to say. Even ask if you can observe one day and make sure it's somewhere you would like to work. Do those types of things before making a decision. :::stepping off my soap box:::

Thanks for offering your perspective! I am considering a COTA program, and it is difficult after reading all these comments. Since you are both a PTA and COTA (as your name suggests), do you prefer one over the other? Do they pay similarly? And do you feel that COTA may be less physically demanding for someone as they get older? Thanks for the info!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Georgetown, Texas

47 months ago

I just graduated from an OTA program 2 months ago and have yet to find work. I have however, seen postings for OTRs like crazy which saddens me. I was informed that our job prospects were great in this area and there would be an abundance of opportunites, but that is not the case. I love OT, but this is extremely taxing on me financially. Just make sure to research hiring prospects around your area (I did before I graduated, but it's like all of sudden people are holding onto their jobs and everything closed when I graduated). Boo to the economy :(

As far as PTA and OTA are concerned, I decided to go with OT because I felt it ecompassed so much more-- you weren't stuck with the physical aspect of therapy ALL THE TIME. It truly is holistic, now if only I can find that job! haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jrietdorf2003@yahoo.com in New Haven, Indiana

47 months ago

I have been a COTA for over 10 years. There is absolutely no doubt that with being apart of the OT profession, there are definite challenges. I currently work in a large hospital that involves acute care, inpatient rehab, as well as a SNF setting. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that we impact our patients in a large way.
Please, for those of you whom find little value in what an OT does, tell me how a C5-C6 quad is going to become independent in feeding, bowel/bladder program, toileting, getting on/off a commode, getting dressed every morning, without the treatment from an OT? Try convincing him that OT is a joke...
Tell me that OT is a joke when patient after patient cries to you, thanking you for what you've done, telling you they wouldn't be able to be functional at their job again if it wasn't for what you taught them...
Those of you whom find that OT is a joke have not worked in appropriate settings and have obviously not practiced in appropriate ways...if you don't believe this, again talk to the next SCI person you see and ask them how they gained so much of their independence...
If you're contemplating OT, know that it is a satisfying field with it's definite challenges, but its all worth it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse2OTA in Jackson Heights, New York

47 months ago

Cindy in San Diego, California said: That's OK, let whoever want's to become a COTA find out the hardway. I am not going to sit here and try to convince people not to get into this profession. It's just a waist of time trying to convince wannabees that therapy is not all it's cracked up to be. I am starting Nursing school in three weeks and I am so excited. My mom's a Nurse so I know what to expect already.

Good Luck with that! I'm in Nursing and looking to get out ASAP. It's highly abusive, you'll be wiping butts, cleaning up blood, vomit, and throw up, and be expected to know a million things...not to mention nurses are treated like DIRT and the lateral workplace violence, harassment, and bullying is INSANE. Enjoy!

I think the economy is SO bad right now that people from ALL fields think it's JUST their field that has it bad. Nursing is SO far from what it's cracked up to be..but I'll let people find out the hard way :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

OTA student in Bonney Lake, Washington

47 months ago

Nurse2OTA in Jackson Heights, New York said: Good Luck with that! I'm in Nursing and looking to get out ASAP. It's highly abusive, you'll be wiping butts, cleaning up blood, vomit, and throw up, and be expected to know a million things...not to mention nurses are treated like DIRT and the lateral workplace violence, harassment, and bullying is INSANE. Enjoy!

I think the economy is SO bad right now that people from ALL fields think it's JUST their field that has it bad. Nursing is SO far from what it's cracked up to be..but I'll let people find out the hard way :)

You my friend are dead on!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ardentanglophile in Bellevue, Washington

47 months ago

Hey OTAstudent,

How is school going? I got into Green River's program after being on the waitlist but I didn't have transportation there so Im going to their night program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

OTA student in Bonney Lake, Washington said: You my friend are dead on!

Thanks, just trying to be honest with people! I actually don't even want to get out of nursing because of the butt-wiping, blood, vomit, and whining patients. That doesn't even bother me. Their complaining doesn't bother me at all either. It's the lawsuits, lack of respect, and insane bullying that goes on that I can't stand. I have been around.it's in about 98% of nursing jobs...the other 2% are lucky or found an adminstrative position. I personally don't have my entire life to work up to that..and I actually LIKE bedside care (again, I'm a rare bee).

But if you enjoy cliques, abuse from patients, doctors, techs, and other nurses...be my guest! Generally, the ONLY people that speak really highly of nursing are the "lucky" ones, newbies who haven't even worked in the field, or have been there for less than 3 years, and those who find the horrible conditions acceptable. I'm looking to get out ASAP. It won't get ANY better with what the politicians have in mind, in regards to health insurance, etc. I don't want to be around to find out...sick of killing myself to make sure my license isn't taken away at any given moment..and it's sad to say that it happens often..and with VERY good nurses too. You are JUST a puppet in nursing. I wish it wasn't like that, because I enjoy the actual job (tasks).

So try to cheer up people. Economy is terrible and I know it has all of us pretty down in the dumps right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Cindy in San Diego, California said: Most of the people on this forum have convinced themselves that OT/PT is beneficial for their patients. When, in fact, they are just trying to prove to others that if they help people they will have some self-worth... I call this insecurity. When I become a nurse, I will be doing much more for my patients then I ever did as an OT.

LOL, that's what YOU think! You're not even a nurse yet, which explains your ignorant comments. *I* am a nurse and *I* can speak from experience, as I have been ALL over.

All it takes is a simple google search of "I hate nursing" to see THOUSANDS of entries pop up and what you can expect. You strike me as a VERY young individual who has probably never lived on their own or had a serious professional position.
I can't blame you, I'm sure we were all like that at some point in our lives, but check back in with us in about 5 years. I GUARANTEE you're going to be crying about how much you regret your decision to leave OT to go into Nursing.

I know about a million nurses who wish they would have gone into OT/PT or Accounting. The grass ALWAYS seems greener on the other side! You're in for the ride of your LIFE! GOOD LUCK. I don't really see you making it that long in Nursing. Just my opinion, though, so don't take offense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Nurse2OTA in Jackson Heights, New York said: LOL, that's what YOU think! You're not even a nurse yet, which explains your ignorant comments. *I* am a nurse and *I* can speak from experience, as I have been ALL over.

All it takes is a simple google search of "I hate nursing" to see THOUSANDS of entries pop up and what you can expect. You strike me as a VERY young individual who has probably never lived on their own or had a serious professional position.
I can't blame you, I'm sure we were all like that at some point in our lives, but check back in with us in about 5 years. I GUARANTEE you're going to be crying about how much you regret your decision to leave OT to go into Nursing.

I know about a million nurses who wish they would have gone into OT/PT or Accounting. The grass ALWAYS seems greener on the other side! You're in for the ride of your LIFE! GOOD LUCK. I don't really see you making it that long in Nursing. Just my opinion, though, so don't take offense.

I have read tons of post on here and this person has been saying " When i become a Nurse" for the last 3 yrs....whoever it is , just a hater of OT and they assume multiple names...really bizzare behavior....but have you applied to a program yet and did you get the link to the bridging OTA to TO?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

ardentanglophile in Bellevue, Washington said: Hey OTAstudent,

How is school going? I got into Green River's program after being on the waitlist but I didn't have transportation there so Im going to their night program.

School is going great....I'm in a Ped's rotation at a school setting working with pre-schoolers...

47 months ago

OTA student in Bonney Lake, Washington said: I have read tons of post on here and this person has been saying " When i become a Nurse" for the last 3 yrs....whoever it is , just a hater of OT and they assume multiple names...really bizzare behavior....but have you applied to a program yet and did you get the link to the bridging OTA to TO?

Yeah, I was weirded out! I had to say something, as a Nurse. Couldn't help myself to blow up their spot. Talk about disillusioned!

******BTW, Can I ask everyone on here what their GPA was when they were accepted into their program? Was that your GPA for the pre-reqs or your all over GPA?*********

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

COTAandPROUD in Greenville, South Carolina

47 months ago

My GPA hovered between 3.7 and 4.0, graduated 3.93 at Green River CC in Auburn, Washington. That was overall for pre-req's and matriculated coursework.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

COTAandPROUD in Greenville, South Carolina said: My GPA hovered between 3.7 and 4.0, graduated 3.93 at Green River CC in Auburn, Washington. That was overall for pre-req's and matriculated coursework.

Thanks! Don't mean to sound weird, but upon acceptance, into the program, what was your overall GPA and what was your pre-req GPA?

For instance..in nursing, they say you need a 3.7, minimum, to enter their RN program. This is not a 3.7 overall, you can have a 2.5 GPA, but if you have a 3.7 or above in the pre-reqs (it's about 5 classes science/basics) then THAT is what they count it on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jbritz in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

Is it worth it to pursue the OTA compared to just going straight to OT. Im not really sure. Is it really competitive to get into masters OT program? I am just really psyched to start working in the field and think that OTA would afford me the opportunity. Are OTAs getting jobs in this horrible economy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

beegee in Jackson Heights, New York

47 months ago

I am wondering the same thing...are OTAs still finding work? I'm looking to get out of Nursing. There aren't any jobs in nursing...there really aren't...and with nursing schools popping up by the dozens and graduating thousands of students, per year, the field has become more saturated than ever. Additionally, even when there ARE jobs, most nurses find themselves stressed out beyond belief, miserable, anxious, depressed, and/or resorting to drugs/alcohol. This field has one of the highest rates of drug/alcohol abuse ever. Now that I'm in it, I understand why.

People may think that $22-32/hr is a lot of money in nursing. This equals around 45-65k/year (as an RN) and believe me when I say that's PENNIES compared to the crap we have to put up with. I don't know what world people live in...where 45-65k is enough for them to sell their soul and suffer tremendously to earn it..but to me, it's not worth it. I rather work as an OTA starting off at about 40k/year...but not be miserable. I have heard some OTAs complaining, and I don't mean to put ANYONE down, but I don't think they realize how good they have it in comparison to RNs. For someone like me..I don't mind wiping butts, cleaning vomit, and dealing with abusive patients. Those are the LEAST of concerns for RNs. The atmosphere is what we dread. Horribly backstabbing coworkers who bully, harass, and abuse you just as much as your manager RNs, etc.....all while you're trying to make sure you're not going to be sued and make your license...as if that's not stressful enough. Believe me..you have to know a trillion things in Nursing and your "rear" is on the line at all times. I have severe anxiety and depression that I have been struggling with since I entered this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kimsy in Daytona Beach, Florida

46 months ago

OTA student in Bonney Lake, Washington said: School is going great....I'm in a Ped's rotation at a school setting working with pre-schoolers...

How is your rotation going? I'm currently a student in a peds class and I can't wait to work in a school setting :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Live.Love.Surf in Virginia Beach, Virginia

46 months ago

I am currently a COTA student going into my 3rd clinical rotation and I would have to agree and disagree with some of the comments being made. I DO think, in my opinion, that being a COTA is something ANYONE can do and probably do perform on a regular basis without realizing it because there's no documentation involved. Some days I feel like it's a total waste of my time and money to be in a program like this one because of what I stated previously...anyone can do the things we do.

I will say; however, that no matter if anyone can do it or not, it is a very rewarding job to help patients jump through hurdles and re-gain their independence by doing activities that are going to be of value and meaning to them. I think the reason why job opportunity is opening up for COTA's/OTR's is the simple fact that many families don't have time to do the "simple, yet helpful and meaningful" things we do because they're looking for job's themselves due to the current economic situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

OT_Guy in Youngstown, Ohio

45 months ago

As a COTA and MOT student I have to respectfully disagree with most of you. I work in pediatrics full time. I PRN in nursing homes and do home health as well. I love my job. I get paid really well because I negotiate well. Being a COTA, OTR, PTA, Nurse, or anything else depends on what you put into it. If you go to work for a paycheck, you will only get a paycheck. I love that I can make a difference. I do ADL's in nursing homes but thats not all I do. Maybe you people are too dumb to realize that there is a lot more to your job, maybe you were poorly trained, or maybe you are lazy. Get the hell out of OT if you think this way; not for me but for the patients. STNA's or CNA's aren't trained like COTA's. They don't know that you need to work the triceps to get out of a wheelchair. They don't know how to use heat/ice/e-stem ect. Show me a CNA who can tell you what NDT means? These people are valuable in long term care but they don't possess the knowledge of intervention. COTA/OT jobs are not for people who are selfish. If you go into OT, go for the right reasons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Live.Love.Surf in Virginia Beach, Virginia

44 months ago

Gotta love e-stem :) I love working in SNF/LTC units, but I think I want to specialize in Hospice...I know OT is very limited in that area because it's the "final stage" but at the same time it's so important to give patients as well as the families that peace of mind and treat the person from a wholistic viewpoint. I do have to say; however, I have made many friends with CNA's over the past couple of months because no, they aren't trained like we are, but they want to know what we as COTA's are doing with treatment so they can better help the patient as well. At least it has been like that in the facilities I've been able to work in. There shouldn't be all this "butting of heads" and "I'm better than you because..." between medical profession. If everyone worked together I can almost guarantee that the patients would have a better outcome when they finished their sessions. And I definitely agree with you [[OT_Guy]] it's not about the paycheck at the end of the day, it's about totally changing a persons life and taking them to new levels that should keep us goin'... not a dollar amount.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

jamieOTR in Palm Coast, Florida

42 months ago

If you're considering a job in the OT profession simply for the pay and job opportunities LOOK ELSE WHERE. I'm not saying that the pay and opportunities are bad, in fact it's quite the opposite, but you'll never be happy with your job or value the treatment that you give your patients if all you're looking for is a paycheck. To say that a CNA is a glorified COTA is just a very sad, sad statement because their jobs are in fact very much opposites. CNA need to take their patients to the bathroom (although not many I have interacted with do this BEFORE they have soiled themselves) get the dressed and move on the next patient. I had a women come to me very confused saying "those kids attacked me again this morning" when what really happened is the CNAs came in the room got her up and dressed without even explaining what they were doing with her. CNAs take away peoples independence before they have lost it. COTAs try to give their independence back. CNAs don't have to worry about what or why they are doing the things they do, they just have to get them done. COTAs assess progress, problem solve, and patiently work with patients to get their goals accomplished and then they document and justify their practice. If you are a COTA and you feel the work you do is glorified CNA work, you're not doing your job right and should change career paths for your patient's sake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

OTstudent in San Jose, California

42 months ago

yeah lol thats really odd. Theres a really big difference between doing something for somebody and teaching them to do it themselves. I've always wondered why this person kept saying OTs are glorified CNAs... and after working in a hospital now I can see the reason (albeit an odd one). CNAs document ADLs. They complete ADLs for a patient, or help the patient do it themselves. They don't rehab ANYTHING, they don't even maintain the patients current level of functioning. They provide a crutch and drive the patient into complete dependence... thats totally opposite from OT. Just cuz both of our professions have the acronym ADL in them doesn't mean their the same thing lol. I sure would be mad if i need a masters degree to clean someone lol...
ridiculous

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Darrell Fontenot in Johnson City, Tennessee

42 months ago

In our area we have no OTA schools, so there is a shortage of OTAs. We presently have opportunities for an OTA to do home health in a very nice area of the country with in a days drive to about have of the country. In my many years of as a physical therapist, I understand the value of having an OTA as part of the treatment team. Please email me if you have a strong interest in becoming part of a team where you are respected and given the opportunity to utilize your skills to the fullest. I am not a recruiter. I am the rehab director a home health agency looking to expand our team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

flannery in Union City, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

killertime in Saint Clair, Michigan said: if all of you hate being a COTA so much why dont you go back to school and become an OTR?? Stop hating and get off your butt and do somthing about it, if you don't like the conditions of which you are working, then find a job elsewhere! If you don't like being a COTA then go back to school. COTA's are not supposed to be doing CNA work, they are sopposed to be assisting the OTR, so if you find yourself doing CNA work, then maybe it's time to go work somewhere else...

otr work is more paperwork not worth the hassel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaOTR in Camden, New Jersey

42 months ago

Do you guys know how much OTs make per diem in Acute care, SNFs, and home care??? Thank you so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Flygirl10 in Chandler, Arizona

42 months ago

I have had many good and bad experiences working as a COTA these past 9 years. I understand where the COTA that compared our work to a "glorified CNA" is coming from. I felt the same way a few years ago when I was working in a nursing home and the other setting was in inpatient rehab in a hospital. Management was unsupportive.

In both work settings, the OT that was supervising me, one OT in each setting, were absolutely horrible. They were booksmart, but they had no interest in mentoring me or even assisting me when needed. OT's go to school with the expectation of working alongside a COTA, and teaching the COTA with "on the job training" and when they are negative and unsupportive and unwilling to cooperate, I think it's appalling that they are paid as well as they are.

If you do not have management's support, it is very easy to get down on oneself. I had no choice at the time to pursue another workplace, because the town I was living in was tiny and these were the only places available to work. If there are other jobs in your area, I urge you to seek employment elsewhere or consider going into many of the other areas OT encompasses, i.e., pediatrics, home health, mental health, hand therapy. I've done all that I listed and each one is exciting in it's own way. Best of luck to you.

I am now working several part time jobs in pediatrics and geriatrics, and I do not get as burned out as I did before. Part of working long term in OT is to find what really works for you so that you can bring your best "self" to your patients. Back breaking work in a nursing home or hospital can get you burned out quickly, change it up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Flygirl10 in Chandler, Arizona

42 months ago

Also, find an OT who is excited to bring you on and work alongside you. It is a collaborative effort.

inthemix in Bremerton, Washington

41 months ago

My rant: You are right, it is a glorified CNA.NAC whatever. I have never worked at a SNF but since I've been out of work over a year I finally knuckled under and took a job at one. Short story, they expected me to observed people taking a dump and wash their butts if needed. Not going to happen. I can increase a person's ROM/strength other ways and evaluate them on a chair. Anyway, the moral is if you don't want to wipe butt, don't become a COTA and work at a SNF. I screwed up, PT is the way to go, stay away from OT. PT will take it over someday anyhow, don't fight city-hall.

Sandra in Georgetown, Texas said: I just graduated from an OTA program 2 months ago and have yet to find work. I have however, seen postings for OTRs like crazy which saddens me. I was informed that our job prospects were great in this area and there would be an abundance of opportunites, but that is not the case. I love OT, but this is extremely taxing on me financially. Just make sure to research hiring prospects around your area (I did before I graduated, but it's like all of sudden people are holding onto their jobs and everything closed when I graduated). Boo to the economy :(

As far as PTA and OTA are concerned, I decided to go with OT because I felt it ecompassed so much more-- you weren't stuck with the physical aspect of therapy ALL THE TIME. It truly is holistic, now if only I can find that job! haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ardentanglophile in Redmond, Washington

41 months ago

inthemix in Bremerton, Washington said: My rant: You are right, it is a glorified CNA.NAC whatever. I have never worked at a SNF but since I've been out of work over a year I finally knuckled under and took a job at one. Short story, they expected me to observed people taking a dump and wash their butts if needed. Not going to happen. I can increase a person's ROM/strength other ways and evaluate them on a chair. Anyway, the moral is if you don't want to wipe butt, don't become a COTA and work at a SNF. I screwed up, PT is the way to go, stay away from OT. PT will take it over someday anyhow, don't fight city-hall.

Did you quit? Is this a temporary job? How come some on this board say they have never done CNA like duties and others have? It seems like there are differences in what you are expected to do depending on where you are at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

New Grad in Lake Mary, Florida

40 months ago

I did my clinical rotation at a SNF and my OTR that I was following refused to do any ADL's (bathing, showering, toileting, etc...). He sent the patients to the CNA's to get cleaned up if there was an accident. Basically what I'm trying to say is it all depends on the facility that you're working at. Some may require you to do ADL's and some may not. This is why you ask questions during the interview like what's your required productivity level here or are ADL's a big part of the treatment sessions here?

Please don't let people on here scare you out of this wonderful profession. You can make this job very boring or fun. Remember the people you're working with are humans with a past. Find out who they are...talk to them...make them laugh... Doing this work doesn't feel like work to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sombra in Union City, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

Yes I worked with male OTR s who did not do ADL s. Very rare. The last setting I worked in did nothing but ADL s lead by a PT. when I challenged it I got written up as being negative. This clinic had no fine motor tasks just ADL s and transfers. I will ask the questions you recommended next time I take a traveling assignment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MaggieAnn in Winston Salem, North Carolina

40 months ago

Is it absolutely crazy to comtemplate starting an OTA Associate Degree program at age 49? Is this a career that is realistic for a healthy petite woman in her 50s and 60s? How much heavy lifting is involved in the job of an OTA? Thanks for any advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.