Yeah! I'll be starting the program this fall! Does anyone have info...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 62)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

nirvana1 in Indio, California

55 months ago

info(real-life)starting salary info for california? I also have a bachelors in journalism. I don't know what they base starting salaries on. Any info. is appreciated.

I've been on the waiting list for 5 months, so I'm so excited to know I can start in Aug!

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

OTORNURSE in Hollis, New York

55 months ago

Congrats!! If you dont mind me asking,what was your overall GPA when you applied??Im trying to get into a program.Good luck with the prpogram.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in San Diego, California

55 months ago

Don't get to excited, the future for COTAs as well as therapies for that matter is bleak. But I guess some people have to find that out the hard way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

OTORNURSE in Hollis, New York said: Congrats!! If you dont mind me asking,what was your overall GPA when you applied??Im trying to get into a program.Good luck with the prpogram.

Thanks! well I had a BA, from back in'93 with a 3.4,but I don't know if it made that much difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Cindy in San Diego, California said: Don't get to excited, the future for COTAs as well as therapies for that matter is bleak. But I guess some people have to find that out the hard way.

I don't understand? Ota"s are supposed to be in demand for the aging baby-boomers. It's listed as higher than avg. growth as an occupation. Do you know something I don't?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Actually BLS is pretty acurate.Honestly,I don't know about OTA's but OT's don't have a problem finding jobs.I guess it also depends where you live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Ahhh ok.So the job outlook for OT's , on the other hand,is pretty good right? Is it safe to pursue a career in OT?? The last thing I want to do is waste 3 yrs of school and not have a job after graduation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I heard that it's not as easy as it was before to get a job as a RN,especially in NY.I read somewhere that it took this new grad one whole year to finally find something .Yikes!! ...And everyone is complaining about OT! I am sooooo lost and confused about which path too take!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Btw...How do you post a question on this site?? Im new to this :-S

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Glenn in Bonney Lake, Washington

54 months ago

OTORNURSE in Hollis, New York said: Btw...How do you post a question on this site?? Im new to this :-S

I have been logging on to this site since last year when I applied to the BS/MS program at SJSU... Around the beginning of the summer in 09 there was a person who logged on and began bashing OT. Before that there were tens of people who would regularly log on and answer questions/give advice etc., however after this person first logged in they seemed to be a one man-virus! The same person under the same name would comment after comment after comment and so on basically saying the same thing over and over to different people. TOTALLY disrespectful to everyone and just extremely confrontational. Then near the end of the summer "indeed" or I guess the moderator caught wind of it and kicked him off. Since then he/she has logged in using different names (probably different library computers) and just continued to be unrelenting in bashing OT and OT professionals. If you read most of the comments you will notice that they all seem to "conveniently" agree with each other and use the same language, syntax etc. to get their point across in a VERY LONG WINDED WAY lol... Understand that a few people including myself have tried to "combat" this person in many different ways. At one point last August I spent a lot of time rebutting everything he/she said because I wanted him to leave so this forum could get back to what it used to be... however as you can see there is no end to it lol. A few of us have concluded that it is probably someone with a mental disability with no job (because they comment throughout the ENTIRE DAY) who had a bad run in with an OT and is hell bent on deterring everyone away from the profession... If I where you I would just go to another forum... thats what almost everyone else did. (sorry for the long response but its just fyi)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

OTORNURSE in Hollis, New York said: Btw...How do you post a question on this site?? Im new to this :-S

cont..
Hi OTONURSE, I copied and pasted the above post from another site. The posters name is BigRoy.This post explains it all. I looked into OT a yr ago and came across the same negativity about the profession and reconsidered my options. I lost my job and didn't know what i was going to do so i decided to give OT another shot and looked into it again. I came back to this site to find out that it's really just one "nut" bashing OT. Not everyone likes what they do and you'll come across some honest posts ,but how incredibly convenient is it that as soon as someone post that their interested in this field, the next post advises you to reconsider or go into PT,RN,etc...It's like this person is on speed dial,obsessed w/ Indeed. If i was interested in other fields i'd voice my opinion (1-2 times) and move on to what i liked....Nope this person is a virus...So be careful when seeking advice and go job shadow, interview etc...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Thanks for posting that,Glenn.I find posts like that very discouraging! Here I am thinking that OT is the ideal career for me and then I come across posts like that?? Grrrr.I need to be extra cautious about what career I pursue b/c I don't have time and money to waste.Who does?? Plus I don't want to go to work everyday,hating what I do.I already have an Associates degree so it'll take me about 3 yrs to complete a OT program.Im going to start my volunteer hours in the Spring and I guess thats when I'll be finding out if this is what I want to do.Atleast I'll have a better idea about the field and judge my decision based on my volunteer experience;not from the negative posts that bash OT! Did you already apply to a program? When do you start? What is your GPA? Im really praying and hoping to get into a OT program! I got rejected from Nursing school twice with a 3.55 GPA.Im hoping this was a blessing in disguise.Maybe I was meant to be a OT instead.We'll see! :-) Good luck to you....Once again can you tell me how to post a question on this forum???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

OTORNURSE in Hollis, New York said: Thanks for posting that,Glenn.I find posts like that very discouraging! Here I am thinking that OT is the ideal career for me and then I come across posts like that?? Grrrr.I need to be extra cautious about what career I pursue b/c I don't have time and money to waste.Who does?? Plus I don't want to go to work everyday,hating what I do.I already have an Associates degree so it'll take me about 3 yrs to complete a OT program.Im going to start my volunteer hours in the Spring and I guess thats when I'll be finding out if this is what I want to do.Atleast I'll have a better idea about the field and judge my decision based on my volunteer experience;not from the negative posts that bash OT! Did you already apply to a program? When do you start? What is your GPA? Im really praying and hoping to get into a OT program! I got rejected from Nursing school twice with a 3.55 GPA.Im hoping this was a blessing in disguise.Maybe I was meant to be a OT instead.We'll see! :-) Good luck to you....Once again can you tell me how to post a question on this forum???

I have my A.A and decided to go back to school for OTA. When i'm done i'll have 2 Associates degrees. I chose this option b/c i was able to start the OTA program right away and will be done in 80 weeks. If I chose OT i would be in school anywhere from 3-4yrs and that really all depends if life doesnt throw you a curveball. By the way you are absolutely right about Nursing, I have a brother who is in a R.N program and the job outlook is grim...All of the hospitals in this area are in a hiring freeze and other places are looking for experience...well how do you get the experience if you cant get your foot in the door!! Anyway to start a new theard its on the home page of this forum ...click start a new discussion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sbailey in Riverview, Florida

54 months ago

Cindy in San Diego, California said: Don't get to excited, the future for COTAs as well as therapies for that matter is bleak. But I guess some people have to find that out the hard way.

Why do you feel the future is so bleak for COTA/therapists?? I'm thinking of changing careers and am cinsidering OTA, any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Actually,I heard the same.However OT's are in demand.Why don't you pursue that?I think PTA's are in demand if you prefer to spend 2 yrs in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Glenn...So true.Many hospitals require atleast 1 yr of experience.How are new graduates suppose to gain experience without being hired?? I remember when new graduates would go for an interview and get hired on the spot.Thats not so true anymore for Registered Nurses.Im sticking to OT.Every career has it's "cons." If you listen to every negative comment about a career,you'll stay home for the rest of your life.Certain careers don't fit everyone.You need to try find your niche by researching the career of your choice and doing some volunteer work.Atleast you'll have an idea as to what you are getting yourself into.I wonder....The people that are bashing OT,did they ever volunteer or shadow a OT?? I dont get it.I doubt OT is similar to a Nurse's aid job.If it was,I dont think they'd require people to have atleast have a Master's degree.Well whatever.It doesn't matter if the career is like that of a Nurse's aid(Which I dont believe).What matters is that I'll be be in demand,I'll help people lead a productive life,have a normal work schedule and get paid well for it. :-) What more can I ask for??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in San Diego, California

54 months ago

Maybe where you guys live there are not as lot of jobs for nurses, but everyone who has gone to nursing school here has found a job in no time. I just started my last clinical rotation and have already had three job offers and I haven't even graduated yet. I never had any job offers when I did my clinical fieldwork for the OTA program. I must have filled out fourty or more job applications after I graduated the OTA program before I found work in a hospital only to be replaced two years later by a filipino therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Cindy...Yes it depends on where you live.I know that in NY,Nurses are still in demands,but the hospitals aren't hiring them at the rate that they use to.I also heard that OTA's are not really in demand.PTA has a better job outlook.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

amatheny in Mary Esther, Florida said: im going to do the progrm but am starting my basics but no schools around here can tell me all the basics that i need to take...is there any way that you can help me with this..i have asked so many people and don't know where to get this information...please help...

Hi! All of your educational requirements should be explained to you by the OTA school/program you will be starting. I would start there. They should have everything spelled out for you. I hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Georgetown, Texas

47 months ago

I know this probably isnt active anymore, but I had to comment because some of you are misinformed. I have a bachelor's of Science but then decided to go to COTA school. Well, I just graduated and it WASNT easy-- I learned SPECIFIC therapuetic techniques and my class was educated on all topics pertaining to OT. We also had to take neuro. So, those of you who are stating that classes are easy and you will learn nothing, well thats your case, but I wouldn't generalize it that way because I learned quite a bit during my schooling. I also have three job offers from my previous clinical affiliations (one pedi outpatient clinic, one hospital, and one SNF). The job market is awesome here in Texas for COTAs as well, and my starting salary is approx $25 an hr.....So to those of you wanted to be a COTA, I would research your school, evidently there are some pretty bad ones.......or just bad students :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in El Cajon, California

47 months ago

Cindy in San Diego, California said: Not here in California. They are dying for Nurses right now. My mom is an RN with an associates degree and makes $50.00 an hour as a med/surg nurse with twenty years experience. A new grad nurse can start out around $25.00 an hour which is more than the $18.00 an hour I started out at as a COTA. I have also talked to a lot of recruiters out there who say there are more travel jobs for nurses then there are jobs for COTAs right now. PTAs seem to be doing good here in California too and the programs are much easier to get into than COTA programs from what people are telling me. Nursing school is too, but not that many people are interested. Why Idon't know. All I can say is that I want a job with security, repect, and able to make a living one.

Hi Cindy
I'm in SD as well. I have a bachelors in Social Work and was considering entering the COTA program at Grossmont. After reading your post I'm concerned that that may not be the best decision. So.... in your opinion do you think that PTA's have more opportunity in SD? I was aiming to work with the school district, although that may be pretty competitive. I'd appreciate your input since your currently in the field. Also, what nursing school are you planning on attending?
Nicole

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

aola in Columbia City, Indiana

46 months ago

Karen,

I also have a bachelor of Science degree and am in an OTA program right now. I was very hesitant to do this program b/c it ends up costing more (lot more) and more years down the road if I want to eventually go through a bridge program to get my Master's but I just couldn't get into grad school so had to take a different route. Do you know the answer to these two questions:
1. do you get a higher salary starting out because you already have bachelor's degree as well as your associated?

2. Do you know if any jobs offer tuition reimbursement for OTA's to go back through a bridge program to get their Master's

I know where I am there is a high demand for OTA's so I'm sure I will have job offers but I'm just worried about the future for OTA's and really the next time for us. After experience what other jobs can an OTA go into??? like rehab manager?? etc Thanks in advance for any help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

margaret1 in portland, Oregon

46 months ago

aola in Columbia City, Indiana said: Karen,

I also have a bachelor of Science degree and am in an OTA program right now. I was very hesitant to do this program b/c it ends up costing more (lot more) and more years down the road if I want to eventually go through a bridge program to get my Master's but I just couldn't get into grad school so had to take a different route. Do you know the answer to these two questions:
1. do you get a higher salary starting out because you already have bachelor's degree as well as your associated?
NO, at least that's been my experience. What counts is your time on OT.
2. Do you know if any jobs offer tuition reimbursement for OTA's to go back through a bridge program to get their Master's
Yes, there are many companies that offer such benefits...some will even offer 'tuition forgiveness" programs.
I know where I am there is a high demand for OTA's so I'm sure I will have job offers but I'm just worried about the future for OTA's and really the next time for us. After experience what other jobs can an OTA go into??? like rehab manager?? etc Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Some companies advanced COTAs and PTAs into management, but not too many.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Devin in Denver, Colorado

43 months ago

Im so confused about what to go to school for, right now im doing all my prereqs i could possibly need and just until i discoved this site i was planning on going to school for a radiology technologist then i realized that there are no jobs at all for the last few years so i have been looking at becoming an occupational therapy assistant. So if any one could help me out i would really appriciate it, i need to know if there is any demand for them what so ever. and once you become an OTA are there feilds to specialize in like there is in radiology and what is the average pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Demi in San Jose, California

43 months ago

Devin in Denver, Colorado said: Im so confused about what to go to school for, right now im doing all my prereqs i could possibly need and just until i discoved this site i was planning on going to school for a radiology technologist then i realized that there are no jobs at all for the last few years so i have been looking at becoming an occupational therapy assistant. So if any one could help me out i would really appriciate it, i need to know if there is any demand for them what so ever. and once you become an OTA are there feilds to specialize in like there is in radiology and what is the average pay.[/QUOTE

Check this out www.aota.org/Students/Schools/EntryLevelOT/38117.aspx#co

I seems there are two programs in Colorado for OTA. However, I'm not sure I would attend PIMA as it has a bad reputation. If I were you, I would look into the PTA program as the turnover rate is much lower than for OTA. Personally, I am getting out of OT and into Nursing as the jobs here are abundant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Demi in San Jose, California

43 months ago

Nicole in El Cajon, California said: Hi Cindy
I'm in SD as well. I have a bachelors in Social Work and was considering entering the COTA program at Grossmont. After reading your post I'm concerned that that may not be the best decision. So.... in your opinion do you think that PTA's have more opportunity in SD? I was aiming to work with the school district, although that may be pretty competitive. I'd appreciate your input since your currently in the field. Also, what nursing school are you planning on attending?
Nicole

I just moved to San Jose from SD last year and the jobs were few and far between. I went to Grossmont College and they have a good program but it's difficult to get into. The student's who graduate from there don't stay in SD, they leave as soon as they graduate. The pay there is also the lowest in California and you have to compete with all the Filipino therapists as well. PTA jobs are a little better but not by much. However, the job market for Nurse's is great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole Moore in El Cajon, California

43 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. I was considering nursing as well. What is your opinion about the job market in SD for nursing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Devin in Denver, Colorado

43 months ago

Demi in San Jose, California said:

Thanks so much for the quick response Demi! You were right all day I looked up OTA vs PTA and PTA is way better for what I would love to do! You truly helped me figure out what my next step is thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OTA student in Bonney Lake, Washington

43 months ago

Demi in San Jose, California said:

I attend Pima here in WA and I truley feel the school is going to get me where I need to go in my career!!They just met and exceeded the requirements for accreditation. Did AOTA get it wrong? Curious are you going based on hearsay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas in Walnut, California

42 months ago

Hey Demi, I could not agree with you more. I am a COTA and lived in San Diego for two years and work was almost non-existent. The jobs are few and far between because so many Filipino therapists have moved here. The pay does not match the cost of living either. As far as PIMA is concerned, if you look at the US Department of Educations website it shows PIMA does not have a good graduation rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terra in Rye, New York

42 months ago

If you think OTA jobs are bad where you live look at New York. I have been looking for almost a year now and cannot find anything, not even a PRN position. I have been out of school 9 months and now wish I had never got into this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosie in Walnut, California

42 months ago

Serena, sorry to here about you're misfortune. I live in LA and the jobs for PTA's is not to bad. However, they are not to good for OTA's. I was an OTA for about three years, then jumped ship and came over to PT. San Diego has never been a good place for OTA/PTA's it is mainly a therapist dominated city. There are a lot of foreign therapists here, but nothing like SD. One of the COTA's I work with lives in SD and takes the Metro train into LA, then takes the bus to our facility. I know it sounds like a hassle, but if you want to work it's about you're only choice right now. The COTA I work with says she is use to it. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

IonaCraig in Woodstock, Illinois

42 months ago

I know exactly how you all feel. I've been a COTA for four years now and work around here is hard to come by. It seems all they want is OTR's. The only reason I got into this field is because I wanted to work part-time or PRN. I heard so many people tell me that if I got into this field, I could make my own hours, guess what!, wrooooong!. I guess some of us are not as lucky as those who live in Texas or Florida where there is, supposedly, more work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dora in Dallas, Texas

42 months ago

Hey Samantha and Dana. I too grew up in Missouri but I, like you both, could not find a single job that would work with my hours. I eventually moved to Austin, and then to Dallas. I have to say the jobs are plentiful here, more so than in a lot of other states. I tried California and Florida but I hated living in those states. They are both way overly saturated with OTR's and Foreign therapists. I could not even get my hours. Right now I am working 20 hours a week with no problems which allows me to attend college so I can get my teaching degree. I have always wanted the experience of living in another country. Teaching will allow me to do that. I don't think I could hang in this field for more than five or six years without loosing my mind. I think OT is alright for a little while, but after that, you start getting burn out. I am already on my way there :0

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

WenWen in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

I guess we all should move to Texas and overly saturate the field there like so many people have done here in PA and FL. Work has almost become non-existent were I live unless you want to move to Philly or Pittsburgh. Also, I wish indeed would stop deleting all the posts by those whom they consider negative feeders of this form. If I would have known then what I know now, it would have saved me all the anguish I an facing now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Damian in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

This field is nothing but a joke. I found a video from a company I worked for when I lived in California (Carmel Mountain Rehab Center). When I saw the video, I almost fell of my chair laughing. The guy in the lavender scrubs is the OT worked with... what a jerk. This facility had state investigators in there everyday for patient abuse and other issues. I could not even do my job. If you don't believe me, just check out there last state survey, not good. Here is the link,LOLLOLOLOL!

carmelmountain.net/videos.aspx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Columbus, Ohio

42 months ago

That's funny, two posts in a row from therapists in the same city. Hhehehehe!
Maybe one of you can tell me what the job outlook is like up there. Jobs here in Ohio for COTA's are not doing so well. I don't what to move to some place like Florida or Texas as I would rather state close to my family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Damian in Scranton, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

Funny, when I typed my post I did not even notice they were from the same place I was from. I don't live in Clarks Summit, I live in Scranton. However, Clarks Summit is only about 10 miles from Scranton so who knows.

To answer you're question on jobs for COTA's, it just depends on how much experience you have and the need. Right now, work is non-existent like WenWen said. I moved to California a few years ago because everyone said there were a lot of jobs there, but I could only find a few companies that was willing to hire me right of my OTA program. The facility I have in the link is owned by Ensign which in turn is owned by the Mormons. This is the facility I worked in. All the Nurses are Asian and the therapy team is very stuckup. The female therapist in the video is from PA also, but she is not a PT, she is a PTA. Very high turn-over rate in therapists and nurses. After about a year I had had it with California and moved back to Scranton, but I am looking to move to Texas or Florida because I am almost out of money and need to find a job fast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in Bellingham, Washington

42 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

SashaOTR in Lawrenceville, Georgia

42 months ago

That was a very interest article Joe. However, it comes to no surprise to the many of us who have worked in this field for a long time. Insurance companies like Blue-Cross, have for as long as I have been a therapist, tried to find ways to put more money in they're pocket. The only way to keep this from happening is for OTA/PTA's and other therapy disciplines to greatly voice there concerns. If they don't, this will eventually pass into law state-by-state and there will no longer be any Assistants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

nicole in Livingston, Texas

42 months ago

I definately would suggest moving to Texas! Plenty of jobs here especially around Dallas and Houston. As a matter of fact, East Texas pays the most then any place I have ever been. Check out cantex senior communites on the web. Our company has buildings in the dallas area, beaumont area and Houston area. We could always use another COTA in Livingston! BTW, I have worked for Ensign in AZ, not a bad company at all, but I know what you mean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Terra in Rye, New York said: If you think OTA jobs are bad where you live look at New York. I have been looking for almost a year now and cannot find anything, not even a PRN position. I have been out of school 9 months and now wish I had never got into this field.

u need to consider moving!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

OTA Student in Sanford, Florida

42 months ago

WenWen in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania said: I guess we all should move to Texas and overly saturate the field there like so many people have done here in PA and FL. Work has almost become non-existent were I live unless you want to move to Philly or Pittsburgh. Also, I wish indeed would stop deleting all the posts by those whom they consider negative feeders of this form. If I would have known then what I know now, it would have saved me all the anguish I an facing now.

What? I live in Florida and there are plenty of jobs here. So what are you talking about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

WenWen in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

I've called a lot of companies and recruiters in Florida and they all say the field is saturated with COTA's. They told me that two years ago they had a difficult time finding OTA's, but all of a sudden people started moving there and now there are too many therapists.

Nicole, not all of us want to move to Texas, soon it will be like all the other states in this country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Well, there might be a lot of COTAs in the larger cities in TX, but in the smaller rural communities there is a major need for all therapists! No matter what the discipline.

Hey, I just found out that I wasn't getting a raise and I have been at my current job for two years. Last year, I received a 2% raise and absolutely nothing this year because of the current pay scale. There wasn't one a pay scale when I started. I am over the limit of the current scale for my exp level, What do all you COTA's think about that??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Shella in Secaucus, New Jersey

41 months ago

nicole in Livingston, Texas said: Well, there might be a lot of COTAs in the larger cities in TX, but in the smaller rural communities there is a major need for all therapists! No matter what the discipline.

Hey, I just found out that I wasn't getting a raise and I have been at my current job for two years. Last year, I received a 2% raise and absolutely nothing this year because of the current pay scale. There wasn't one a pay scale when I started. I am over the limit of the current scale for my exp level, What do all you COTA's think about that??

I guess you have to ask yourself, do I really want to live in a rural area. How far is it from the nearest town with entertainment. I use to live in such a place and I almost went out of my mind. I agree that OT is alright for a little while but it does not take long to get burned out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Houston, Texas

41 months ago

Hey CindyRN, I hear what you're saying. I've worked with people like that especially OT's who get into this field not to help people but for the money. I do my best to teach patients about ADL's but it seems nobody cares even if the patient does. One day I came in early to educate a gentleman on the use of some adaptive equipment. Around 10:00am my supervisor called me into the rehab directors office and chewed me out for doing ADL's with him. She stated all she want's me to do is get them cleaned up and dressed so that they would be ready for PT. Sometimes I cannot believe that I spent two and a half years in college just so that I could spend all day cleaning patients up and getting them dressed for PT. For that, I could have become a CNA :(. I wounder sometimes what the future holds not only for OT but for myself as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

missthang1987@hotmail.com in Breckenridge, Colorado

40 months ago

I was thinking about starting a COTA program in colorado but i live up in the mountains and havent really seen any job posting for this but i hear the industry is booming? Does anyone live in colorado that would have some answers for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Not sure about schools in Colorado, but I do know that assistants are not licensed there. OTR's follow under whats known as "title protection". So pay is a lot lower compared to other areas in the US. I would love to live and work in Canon City, but I cant afford to live there and pay the bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

missthang1987@hotmail.com in Breckenridge, Colorado

40 months ago

Actually we do have to be licsensed or ceritfied in colorado!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.