All I can think to say is "WOW"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Ashley in Salt Lake City, Utah

80 months ago

I was set on a career as an OTA. I knew what school I'd be attending, funding was set and I had my classes lined up. That is, until I read this forum. Between the lack of job security, low hourly pay, high productivity demands, the possible close of medicare and all the other little annoyances I've read about, In one way I'm grateful to have found this forum before it was to late. On the other hand now I'm left with trying to figure out what career to go into again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Christopher in Victorville, California

75 months ago

Respiratory or PA are also good careers to go into. OT is a great job any job you have there politics and with possible close of medicare is so far fetched and has been talkied about for many years. With any job you have issues ie.. companies moving out of state, company closure, the bad economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Barry in Denver, CO

75 months ago

Christopher in Victorville, California said: Respiratory or PA are also good careers to go into. OT is a great job any job you have there politics and with possible close of medicare is so far fetched and has been talkied about for many years. With any job you have issues ie.. companies moving out of state, company closure, the bad economy.

I agree, every job has it's pros and cons. But this field has more cons then pros. What everyone is talking about is true. Remember, they said a system like PPS would never be passed and that people were worrying for nothing. Now look were
are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Richmond, Virginia

74 months ago

I've also been interested in possibly pursuing a career in occupational therapy for quite some time now. For years, I've heard conflicting information on the future of this field which has prevented me from exploring it further. Barry, would you, or anyone else who feels the same way, mind elaborating on the perceived cons of the field. Do the cons just exist currently with OT, or are there long-term issues with the future of the field? Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rcota in Coos Bay, OR in Coeur D Alene, Idaho

74 months ago

Ryan in Richmond, Virginia said: I've also been interested in possibly pursuing a career in occupational therapy for quite some time now. For years, I've heard conflicting information on the future of this field which has prevented me from exploring it further. Barry, would you, or anyone else who feels the same way, mind elaborating on the perceived cons of the field. Do the cons just exist currently with OT, or are there long-term issues with the future of the field? Thanks for your help.

The cons involve more than just Occupational Therapy, it involves everyone who is a therapist or assistant... PT/OT/SPL. Before PPS, people use to say jobs for therapists and assistants would continue to be in great supply and that PPS would never happen. Then came the day when PPS was passed and became law. I saw many therapists and assistants loose their jobs. Some stayed and beared the brunt of the storm, while others left the field to pursue other careers. The ones who left where the smart ones. Medicare will make changes to the system January 2009, so I have a feeling people are in for a rude awakining again even though many will disagree with me. I just got my Masters in Sports Medicine and I will be leaving the field at the end of November.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Wichita, Kansas

73 months ago

I am wanting to become an occupational therapy assistant. I would love to get some experience before I start going to school for it. Is there any jobs that I could do without being a certified OTA? I have even tried looking for volunteer opportunities and I haven't had any luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

narai in Cranston, Rhode Island

72 months ago

You could get a job as a rehab aide. i'm taking my prereqs for the ota program, and after seeing what the therapists do, I know I am making the right choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t lady mille in Wichita, Kansas

70 months ago

Kelly in Wichita, Kansas said: I am wanting to become an occupational therapy assistant. I would love to get some experience before I start going to school for it. Is there any jobs that I could do without being a certified OTA? I have even tried looking for volunteer opportunities and I haven't had any luck.

Im wanting to become an ota as well but i can't find any rehab aide jobs or volunteer opportunities! Have you had any luck so far?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

stephanie in Kansas City, Missouri

67 months ago

I'm thinking about going to Brown mackie the problem being they are pending accrediation. Does anyone know what that means? The admission lady said not to worry about it but after spending all the time and money what if they don't get accredited? Am I stuck with nothing but wasted time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Greensburg, Kentucky

67 months ago

It is ironic, all the people who had great jobs and bragged about them all the time showing off what they can afford have nothing now and all the people they looked down on have more, that is fast food workers. They have not been affected at all.. Everyone will always go out and eat...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

stephanie

67 months ago

Mike in Greensburg, Kentucky said: It is ironic, all the people who had great jobs and bragged about them all the time showing off what they can afford have nothing now and all the people they looked down on have more, that is fast food workers. They have not been affected at all.. Everyone will always go out and eat...

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place but being a fast food worker? are you serious? lmao! you'd make more being a janitor. Fast food is honest but I'd think that'd be the only plus about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in San Marcos, California

66 months ago

Kelly in Wichita, Kansas said: I am wanting to become an occupational therapy assistant. I would love to get some experience before I start going to school for it. Is there any jobs that I could do without being a certified OTA? I have even tried looking for volunteer opportunities and I haven't had any luck.

I too am currently pursuing a career as an OTA. Between work and school I volunteer for a Hospice Organization in my community. It has given me patience and the ability to set professional boundaries between me and the patients. The organization I volunteer for constantly educates me on new advances in recreational therapy as well as giving me the tools to deal with grieving family members. You might want to try craigslist.com under forums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

stephanie in Roswell, Georgia

65 months ago

There is only one school near me with the OTA program. It is Brown Mackie, I spoke with someone who works on the Board that said that in 2 weeks they MIGHT be accreditated. If they get it, is that still a bad school to go to???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

stephanie

65 months ago

No it's a wonderful wonderful school. I checked out many many colleges and when I went to check out Brown Mackie from the first minute I stepped in the door I noticed it was different. The lady at the front desk knew my name by the next day. Everyone smiles there. The proffesors at least where I go really go beyound their call of duty to help a student. It is expensive but worth every penny I feel. As long as you can afford it if it's anything like it is here it'd be a great investment. Where I go is pending accrediation as well. Since going there I'd hate to go anywhere else. Do yourself a favor though find out what book or books you'll need in your next class and go online and purchase them. It will save you a bundle. Feel free write to me at kaley3646@yahoo.com and we can take it from there I may be able to send you at least one book I used there for free. I'm always willing to help anyone excel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PossibleOTA in Cerritos, California

8 months ago

Ashley in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I was set on a career as an OTA. I knew what school I'd be attending, funding was set and I had my classes lined up. That is, until I read this forum. Between the lack of job security, low hourly pay, high productivity demands, the possible close of medicare and all the other little annoyances I've read about, In one way I'm grateful to have found this forum before it was to late. On the other hand now I'm left with trying to figure out what career to go into again.

Hi Ashley!
This is kind of late in the discussion but what did you end up doing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.