What do you enjoy most about your occupational therapy assistant career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 86)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What do you enjoy most about being an occupational therapy assistant? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Meomy in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Melissa in Milford, Pennsylvania said: I wish people would answer these questions. :/ It would really help.

I am thinking it is time to start a new forum with this thread as the other one has gotten too long. So I will use this opportunity and answer the questions above as best as I can with my experience. Here goes.

1. enjoy most? Hard one. Nothing except the paycheck. Oh occasionally a vendor will bring in lunch. And daytime hours.

2. dislike most? The dirtiness of the job, whether it be diapers or toileting or dealing with vomit, the sickness, the depressing situation, and the bossiness and arrogance of others around me. ADL's in general. And the heavy lifting involved. Having to stretch out treatments for people that really do not want it and it serves no useful purpose except to generate revenue. The general anxiety this field has made out of my life.

3. opportunities to learn and advance? No. Unless you pay mucho dollars to figure out how to do something not really O.T.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya in Richmond, VA

83 months ago

I don't enjoy anything about this field but the money. Thats about the only thing that keeps me in it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Shari in Batavia, New York

81 months ago

I work in a preschool setting as a COTA where I have been for 15 years. My caseload is mainly working with developmentally delayed 3-5 year olds. I really enjoy planning activities that help them grow and develop. It is very rewarding. The pay is a great 2nd income and I work a 10 month school calendar. It takes a lot of energy but I think it helps keep me young. People who don't enjoy there work should not be in the field...just my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Connor in Bowling Green, KY

81 months ago

Yep, you will always find one in the crowd who loves this job but the majority don't feel the way you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Gloversville, New York

72 months ago

This is my first posting. I have worked as a COTA in upstate NY for 10 + years. The population we serve are developmentally delayed, traumatic brain injured patients, as well as autistic, CP & MR individuals ranging in age from 18-100. This is a truly rewarding field for those who "choose" to enjoy their work. Don't forget "You can't have a good day with a bad attitude & you can't have a bad day with a good attitude." Best of luck to those who don't enjoy their lives :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

lax in Miami, Florida

71 months ago

Diana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Ok. Two people like it out of everyone else disliking it. IT still does not make it a good field. And please not everyone can easily jump out of it into another field just cause you said so. Maybe it pays that much in California but not other places. Some people just do not enjoy wiping butts and dealing with disease nasty people and arrogance. We know we made a mistake going into this field but it is a mistake we must live with due to circumstances so do not tell us we are are bad people to stay in the field. Believe me people that hate the field know they shouldn't be in it but also believe me they would have a different career if they could. So please try to understand others perspectives may be different than yours.

What's with the hostility? My goodness take a chill pill. If u hate it so much just QUIT!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Pamela in Nashville, Tennessee

70 months ago

Hello, I am trying to research this field. I have been considering going into an OTA program. I have heard from some people that they love this field and as I do my research, I'm seeing that a lot of people are unhappy. Is there REALLY that much toileting involved in this career? Bodily functions are something that I simply don't think I could get used to--especially coming from adults. I was under the impression that toileting is only a small part of the career and didn't think that you would be doing any of that with children if you were to work with children.

Someone suggested to me that I look into this field because I love animals and I was told that a lot of OT's utilize animals as part of their therapy. Is this very common or is it more rare?

And lastly, overall how fulfilled are you with your profession?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ally in Saratoga Springs, New York

70 months ago

I am confused. Why a is there a lot of bodily functions in this position? Aren't aids taking care of that aspect of care?
I thought OTA's assisted in the rehabilitation aspect of care?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ally in Greenfield Center, New York

70 months ago

I would like to hear more from working COTA'S.
It sounds as awful as practical nursing. My hopes are high though. Can anyone speak about the toileting aspect of care?
Why are COTA'S doing toileting?
Is there such a thing as rehabilitation in this field? Like, showing folks how to use adaptive equipment, use a walker, play a sport or something like that?
Silly me imagines walking the elderly on the grounds of a nursing home with a walker or showing a young child with a disability how to throw a ball.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly Tholke in Santa Monica, California

70 months ago

Pamela in Nashville, Tennessee said: Hello, I am trying to research this field. I have been considering going into an OTA program. I have heard from some people that they love this field and as I do my research, I'm seeing that a lot of people are unhappy. Is there REALLY that much toileting involved in this career? Bodily functions are something that I simply don't think I could get used to--especially coming from adults. I was under the impression that toileting is only a small part of the career and didn't think that you would be doing any of that with children if you were to work with children.

Someone suggested to me that I look into this field because I love animals and I was told that a lot of OT's utilize animals as part of their therapy. Is this very common or is it more rare?

And lastly, overall how fulfilled are you with your profession?

Ally - I'm in the same position as you. I'm currently in marketing/advertising, but am seriously considering making a career change into OT. I'm interested in hearing more about what people like/dislike about this field. Please keep the comments coming our way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Hi!
I think another avneue for those of us who want to learn more would be to contact working COTA'S via telephone. Maybe look some up in the phone book or online??
Although it would be great if we could get some reply's!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

I completely agree! I'm actually playing phone tag with one right now, but I'll pass along any interesting thoughts after I connect with her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Fantabulous! Please don't forget about me!
Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly Tholke in Santa Monica, California

70 months ago

I sure won't! By the way, this is a comprehensive career site that has a lot of good info on occupational therapy online.onetcenter.org/.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sally in Andover, New Jersey

70 months ago

What about working with children in a school or clinical setting? Is anyone familiar with this area of the field??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Spin in Las Vegas, Nevada

65 months ago

Hello, I too want to make the right decision. I have to take the math 116 before going into the program and it worrys me since I'm poor in math. Also I have to take the OTA at the same time, it is on-line thought but still I know how much time I need to learn anything in math! I've finished all my RN prerequisites but I only have C's in A/P classes, and I so I'm wondering if I would have a chance of being accepted into the program after taking these courses. Also how difficult was the state board written test? Just curious.
All imformation is appreciated,
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

BL in Valrico, Florida

65 months ago

I recently graduated from the OTA program this past month. This is my second career. I actually have a Bachelors degree and decided that the OTA program would provide me with what I needed to get into the profession. I love working as an OTA. I don't regret it one bit. Depending on the setting you may have to do some ADL's or toileting but overall this profession is so dynamic and you can pick what setting suits you. I placed my resume on careerbuilder and had 15 calls per day. Demand is high. I enjoy working with the geriatric population so the SNF positions are available. I suggest OT but I am biased :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BL in Valrico, Florida

65 months ago

Spin in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hello, I too want to make the right decision. I have to take the math 116 before going into the program and it worrys me since I'm poor in math. Also I have to take the OTA at the same time, it is on-line thought but still I know how much time I need to learn anything in math! I've finished all my RN prerequisites but I only have C's in A/P classes, and I so I'm wondering if I would have a chance of being accepted into the program after taking these courses. Also how difficult was the state board written test? Just curious.
Thank you

I recently graduated from the OTA program this past month. This is my second career. I actually have a Bachelors degree and decided that the OTA program would provide me with what I needed to get into the profession. I love working as an OTA. I don't regret it one bit. Depending on the setting you may have to do some ADL's or toileting but overall this profession is so dynamic and you can pick what setting suits you. I placed my resume on careerbuilder and had 15 calls per day. Demand is high. I enjoy working with the geriatric population so the SNF positions are available. I suggest OT but I am biased :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

BL in Valrico, Florida

65 months ago

Spin in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hello, I too want to make the right decision. I have to take the math 116 before going into the program and it worrys me since I'm poor in math. Also I have to take the OTA at the same time, it is on-line thought but still I know how much time I need to learn anything in math! I've finished all my RN prerequisites but I only have C's in A/P classes, and I so I'm wondering if I would have a chance of being accepted into the program after taking these courses. Also how difficult was the state board written test? Just curious.
Thank you

Which class is online? The math? Most schools will take C's for A and P but it is getting more competitive to even get into the OTA programs. I am taking the boards tomorrow so I will let you know. There is not an written test it is multiple choice. You have to talk with your CC program director they will give you all the information.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Spin in Las Vegas, Nevada

65 months ago

Hello,
Thank you for your reply! The Intro to OTA is on line and the math is at a technical school for the summer.
I received an e-mail, from the director that I had to have B's in my A/P classes.
I have C's not C-, C's but that's not cutting it.
Personally, I'm very discouraged. I've worked hard for years to get all my prerequisites done for the RN program, I also took first Aid, EKG and nurses aid classes but I can't seem to pass the RN test which was the NLN, Now there's the teas test, which I passed in all subjects but the math, the computer shut down while in Algebra. I passed the LPN, NLN but than they changed the test so they wouldn't eccept my above average score.
I may try once again to take the RN test, but so much time has passed and I'm not getting younger. I started this in my later years and I'm now 54.
I wish you the best taking your state boards, and your new career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ardentanglophile in Bellevue, Washington

65 months ago

Spin in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hello,
Thank you for your reply! The Intro to OTA is on line and the math is at a technical school for the summer.
I received an e-mail, from the director that I had to have B's in my A/P classes.
I have C's not C-, C's but that's not cutting it.
Personally, I'm very discouraged. I've worked hard for years to get all my prerequisites done for the RN program, I also took first Aid, EKG and nurses aid classes but I can't seem to pass the RN test which was the NLN, Now there's the teas test, which I passed in all subjects but the math, the computer shut down while in Algebra. I passed the LPN, NLN but than they changed the test so they wouldn't eccept my above average score.
I may try once again to take the RN test, but so much time has passed and I'm not getting younger. I started this in my later years and I'm now 54.
I wish you the best taking your state boards, and your new career.

I have known RN students to have to re-take A?P. You have an advantage because you've already taken it, so maybe it will be easier and you will get a better grade. But first, find out if the OTA program will accept classes where you have taken then 2x . Also, I never take a class until I consult ratemyprofessors.com. It is invaluable. Students grade the teachers and it has been very accurate for me in selecting a professor teaching a certain subject. GOod luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JULIE in Broadview Heights, Ohio

64 months ago

I think every career has people who hate what they do. I've been in daycare and worked as a dental assistant both jobs had people who hated it and made it seem like it was the worst thing in the world. If you want to help people and make a difference in there lifes while making good money I think this is a great career and I feel sorry for those who dont. They need to look into something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

divineredgirl@hotmail.com in Augusta, Georgia

63 months ago

I am thinking about going to school to ba a occupational therapist.The school I graduated from with an associate degree in marketing management was Augusta Technical College. I am hoping that will help shorten the time frame of my graduation. Now I have to pick a school if I go to where I received my associate degree I would only be able to get an associate degree in occupational assistant my question is what's the pay average for that???Should I just get enough credits else to attend MCG in 2 years and apply and attend there for another 2 years and get my masters???I need some serious advice.I love helping people and think I would find this job rewarding. I just don't know what I need to do. Anyone in the field give me a description of the day in the life of a OT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BL in Valrico, Florida

63 months ago

Hi I would agree with the response given to the above poster stating : The idealistic OT picture painted in the classroom doesn't always or exactly play out that way in the real world where the bottom line $$ is priority. Know also that Medicare is going broke and there may be significant healthcare reform changes coming up which can eliminate a lot of healthcare jobs and decrease salaries.

I am a new COTA grad and I get to see the business side of the job. I don't regret getting into the profession, I love it. I have my bachelors in advertising and then went to get an AA for a COTA. For educational purposes it was going "backwards" but the cost of a Masters Degree around 60K versus an AA for 6K. Salaries range from 25-30 an hour as a new graduate. If you like helping people this job is very rewarding.... if you have any more questions, email me direct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Taguirre in Wesley Chapel, Florida

63 months ago

BL in Valrico, Florida said: Hi I would agree with the response given to the above poster stating : The idealistic OT picture painted in the classroom doesn't always or exactly play out that way in the real world where the bottom line $$ is priority. Know also that Medicare is going broke and there may be significant healthcare reform changes coming up which can eliminate a lot of healthcare jobs and decrease salaries.

I am a new COTA grad and I get to see the business side of the job. I don't regret getting into the profession, I love it. I have my bachelors in advertising and then went to get an AA for a COTA. For educational purposes it was going "backwards" but the cost of a Masters Degree around 60K versus an AA for 6K. Salaries range from 25-30 an hour as a new graduate. If you like helping people this job is very rewarding.... if you have any more questions, email me direct.

To BL in Valrico, Fl. I am just finishing up my prereqs to apply to this program. I am concerned with a lot of the comments I read on this blog. I live close to Tampa and wondered which program you went to and what you thought of it. Any info will help me decide. I have been out of school for many years and just started back, I thought this would be a rewarding career with decent pay? I can e-mail you direct if you tell me your address. Thanks again, T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Critta22 in Masury, Ohio

63 months ago

To BL in Valrico FL and others, I currently live in OH and have a BA degree in Film for the past 2 years I worked in management and hated it I have also been volunteering and working with people with disabilities using therapeutic horseback riding, I will be getting certified as an instructor shortly but the pay and job opportunities are slim. I love working with people with disabilities and think its only for some people, I have also thought of going back to school to be a COTA and am actually thinking of moving to FL I was looking at keiser university in Ft. Lauderdale, I am planning on volunteering with some otas before I make a final decision but wanted to find out more and learn about the day to day life of a cota. I know I want to work with kids and I want to work with rehabilitation my friend who is an OT acted like aids are the ones who do the toiletry functions that everyone is talking about, and that COTAs carry out the plans that the OTs have come up with? Do you feel I should take the route of getting Associate instead of a Masters? So much to think about.....

BL in Valrico, Florida said: Hi I would agree with the response given to the above poster stating : The idealistic OT picture painted in the classroom doesn't always or exactly play out that way in the real world where the bottom line $$ is priority. Know also that Medicare is going broke and there may be significant healthcare reform changes coming up which can eliminate a lot of healthcare jobs and decrease salaries.

I am a new COTA grad and I get to see the business side of the job. I don't regret getting into the profession, I love it. I have my bachelors in advertising and then went to get an AA for a COTA. For educational purposes it was going "backwards" but the cost of a Masters Degree around 60K versus an AA for 6K. Salaries range from 25-30 an hour as a new graduate. If you like helping people this job is very rewarding....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BL in Valrico, Florida

63 months ago

The toileting aspect is a part of activities of daily living. You don't spend 8 hours a day doing toileting! If you are an OT you are more than likely going to also be treating patients as well as doing evaluations. OT's also do toileting. If you choose OT you are doing rehabilitation for persons that need to become as independent as possible and dressing and toileting are part of the job. If you get your Masters you are still going to do toileting but don't get hung up on that one activity. Depending on the patient, the setting and the facility you do so many different activities including : strength and balance exercises, functional mobility, and activities that simulate the body movements needed to do basic adls (dressing, grooming and toileting. Some OT's and Cota's don't even do the toileting they simulate the motions and body movements needed to perform the task. I personally do the activity because I find that simulation is not as effective as doing it. OT's come up with goals for the COTA and then the COTA decides what activities to do in order to achieve the goals. The OT does not tell you what activity to do because you go to school to become skilled to select activites etc. I would do the OTA program at a public community college versus a private school. Don't spend extra money on the schooling because to get certified and take the national exam will be aroung 800 dollars. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kimsy in Palm Coast, Florida

63 months ago

I already work as a CNA, so I'm used to the ADL aspects of the job. I'm sorry that you did not appreciate your time as an OTA; it's not for everybody. But since I have no interest in your hostility, I will bid you adieu.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

kimsy in Palm Coast, Florida

63 months ago

No, madam. I do not consider all "truth" to be an assault. I welcome all constructive criticism. However, you assume that all COTA students and workers are all immoral and ignorant. I did not say that CNA work is the same as COTA work. I was saying that I am aware that there is toileting, bathing, and other ADL activities involved in the job, and I am comfortable with that.

I highly doubt that I will be making $35/hr. That kind of money is unheard of for a COTA with only 2 years on the job; that is why I asked the poster about his/her employment.

I would also appreciate it if you did not insult my intelligence. I know that you are angry and have some kind of superiority complex, and I hope that one day you get the help that you need. Although I do have to ask: if you are no longer in the OT field and want nothing to do with it, then why do you dwell on it? Why not let the past go and move on with your new career and your life?

Thank you very much for your advice and your point of view, but now I'd like to hear from those who enjoy their profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

seriously? in Hermitage, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Seriously People why is there so much hate, I get it that no matter what job you do in life you are not going to like every aspect of it, The whole reason I would think most people would want to be working with people with disabilities or with people who need rehabilitated is because they love working with people and Im sorry but I think its very humbling knowing that there are good people that will help work with these people in doing something such as toilet traning, there is a lot of humility that goes into it and the fact is that a lot of these individuals need this care and help and though it might be part of your jobs if you cant get over it or get over the pay or whatever it is that everyone is so hung up on than you seriously need to rethink what it is your doing. If i were someone who needed this type of care I would be thankful to have someone who respects the field and wants to see me succeed in the tasks that allow me to live a normal life!! Because isnt this the reason most people get into the field lets not forget about the people, The fact is that people need this care and that there are great people out there that will do it, bottom line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Adrienne in Rochester, Michigan

63 months ago

I currently work as a caregiver for private clients and have worked at assisted living homes as well. Cleaning up after someone isn't so bad, i thought i couldn't do it at first but, coming out of an office job with tight deadlines, no windows and eye strain...hell yeah it's way better. I am considering going to school for Occupational Therapy because it is the closest thing to caregiving that you can really get to, but it pays way more. Even as an OT Assistant you make way more. You don't have to deal with blood or needles and IV's and you get paid as much as a registered nurse in some cases.

just for perspective, what i like most about the job is the low key atmosphere, it's really stress free if you enjoy taking care of people and helping people out. If you're a nice person, this is the job for you..becuase you're basically getting paid to do what your trained, be nice, and care. I find at the end of the day i go home feeling pretty good and time goes by pretty fast because some people you work with, on top of evaluations and explaining treatments you can just talk about everyday life with people and with some people you may work with extensively over a long period of time and get to know them...they become more like family if its a home OT position.

It may not be for everyone, but for anyone who is in an office position or any position where they said to be too nice and get bossed around or get the heavy load or need to be more stern and more outspoken and aggressive and don't want to be, don't feel comfortable with that or just aren't like that....OT, caregiving, physical therapy and most health positions may be for you. I really like that when i'm doing an interview i can come off as my nice, caring self and
get a job partly because of that nature. you're already half way to a health career with that type of personality..the rest is just learning therapy procedures, learning about meds, diseases, methods of healing and anatomy really

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California

63 months ago

TO THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM, DO NOT RESPOND TO JILLIAN OR CHARLIE. THIS PERSON CHANGES THEIR NAME EVERY OTHER DAY, BAD MOUTHS OTS AND COTAS. THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO ANNOY PEOPLE AND CHASE THEM AWAY FROM THE OT PERFESSION. PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT THEY HAVE POSTED ON OTHER FORUMS ON INDEED GIVING MISGUIDING INFORMATION. THIS PERSONS INFO IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED! THEY ARE HIGHLY MENTAL UNSTABLE! DON'T FEED INTO THEIR MADNESS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

someone in Pahrump, Nevada

63 months ago

Dang you people are crazy! Hopefully if and when some of you need help the person that is helping you LOVEs to help others.. Jeez if you don't like what you do when caring for others PLEASE Find another job. I don't
want your help and would rather sit in my sh*t than be abused and mishandled and treated like a nobody. These people have lives too, they just aren't as sweet as yours. They didn't ask for what has happened but they have to cope with it. You on the otherhand if you don't like what you are doing have options, don't even say you don't, you DO HAVE OPTIONS QUIT, before you hurt someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sparky in Spartanburg, South Carolina

63 months ago

someone in Pahrump, Nevada said: Dang you people are crazy! Hopefully if and when some of you need help the person that is helping you LOVEs to help others.. Jeez if you don't like what you do when caring for others PLEASE Find another job. I don't
want your help and would rather sit in my sh*t than be abused and mishandled and treated like a nobody. These people have lives too, they just aren't as sweet as yours. They didn't ask for what has happened but they have to cope with it. You on the otherhand if you don't like what you are doing have options, don't even say you don't, you DO HAVE OPTIONS QUIT, before you hurt someone.

Oh for goodness sakes most people do not have the option to quit. We do it for the money period. Like any other job. For the most part we don't like this but we need to do it. Everyone does their job for the money unless they have someone to support them and just do the job for fun or they were really smart and choose an interesting field to begin with. I mean really who would do OT for fun. I mean really who just loves dealing with bodily functions unless you have some perversions. Being an OT is just a down and dirty depressing job as far as I am concerned and my greatest hope it that one day I will be able to get as far away from it as I can. Until that day I will suffer through it because gosh darn I need a little money sorry. Dislike me if you must, I am only human and do not enjoy this field at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

truthbetold in Austin, Texas

63 months ago

I'm an OTA at a pediatric rehab clinic. The work is great. Seeing the children improve is very rewarding. You're not just teaching the children but also giving the parents the skills they need to continue and advance at certain tasks at home. OT is a great profession. The PT may teach you how to walk, but the OT will teach you how to tie your shoes again, how to buttom up your pants, etc. These skills may seem like nothing, but for someone learning how to use their hands again--it means the world. If you're looking into the OT profession, you'll have to have patience, the sincere desire to help others, and the ability to teach. I was formerly a teacher. I have never regretted going into OT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

zilam98 in Cleveland, Ohio

63 months ago

OT is great with kids. cons: lower pay than if you were in SNFs and with very litigious parents who might pounce on you on every perceived mistake, you end up being severely underpaid. i would love, love, love working with kids as an OT (particularly in the outpatient setting), but i cant take the risk of facing a lawsuit from parents who might misunderstand what you're trying to do with their kid as harmful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

CotaGrl in Tannersville, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

truthbetold: Happy to hear from someone on here who loves their job! Good for you!! I too work with children. I do school based therapy. I have lots of fun working with the kids because I make it fun. I can't imagine ever going into my job with the piss-poor attitude that many COTAs on this forum have.

To those of you that HATE your job: I have to wonder why you don't just quit. Please don't say that you don't have a choice- one always has a choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

B positive in New Orleans, Louisiana

59 months ago

I am about to graduate from an OTA program. There are settings where there is no toileting, bathing, etc. Not all OTA/OT jobs are dirty. Not everyone you meet hates their job. Most people I find that hate their job in the health field are people that originally got in their medical programs for the money... So with that being said, it is good to know that not all settings are depressing, dirty, or horrible like some people say. There are settings where you will find yourself doing ADL's which are things like toileting, etc. It is also a nice thing to do for a patient when they are in need of assistance & sometimes a CNA or RN is not available to take them at that moment to the bathroom. Don't go into a job without your whole heart in it, esp. if your going to college for it. It makes no sense to get into a field you hate or didnt take the time to really find out what was involved b/c you're so stuck on the money. If you enjoy caring for people, feeling needed, and helping people, then this is a good job for you. A website to look at for ideas of interests may be www.bls.gov . It is a website that has various occupations of interests, as well as the descriptions of the jobs, & low-med-high incomes to expect in each field. Keep in mind, that with any jobs, there are going to be duties that you weren't aware of & that not all OT/COTA jobs expect you to clean up vomit or bowels like some people were saying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

B positive in New Orleans, Louisiana

59 months ago

B positive in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I am about to graduate from an OTA program. There are settings where there is no toileting, bathing, etc. Not all OTA/OT jobs are dirty. Not everyone you meet hates their job. Most people I find that hate their job in the health field are people that originally got in their medical programs for the money... So with that being said, it is good to know that not all settings are depressing, dirty, or horrible like some people say. There are settings where you will find yourself doing ADL's which are things like toileting, etc. It is also a nice thing to do for a patient when they are in need of assistance & sometimes a CNA or RN is not available to take them at that moment to the bathroom. Don't go into a job without your whole heart in it, esp. if your going to college for it. It makes no sense to get into a field you hate or didnt take the time to really find out what was involved b/c you're so stuck on the money. If you enjoy caring for people, feeling needed, and helping people, then this is a good job for you. A website to look at for ideas of interests may be www.bls.gov . It is a website that has various occupations of interests, as well as the descriptions of the jobs, & low-med-high incomes to expect in each field. Keep in mind, that with any jobs, there are going to be duties that you weren't aware of & that not all OT/COTA jobs expect you to clean up vomit or bowels like some people were saying.

* Correction-There are settings where COTA'S/OT'S do not have to do ADL'S, cleaning up after someone soils the floor, or bathing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

FGT in Greenville, South Carolina

59 months ago

Andy,
If you don't want to clean up poop, vomit etc. DO NOT study OT or OTA. Try the PTA/PT programs.

B Positive,
I'd like to hear from you in about 6 months and I'm sure by that time you'll realize exactly what OT is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nirvana1 in Indio, California

59 months ago

sparky in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: Oh for goodness sakes most people do not have the option to quit. We do it for the money period. Like any other job. For the most part we don't like this but we need to do it. Everyone does their job for the money unless they have someone to support them and just do the job for fun or they were really smart and choose an interesting field to begin with. I mean really who would do OT for fun. I mean really who just loves dealing with bodily functions unless you have some perversions. Being an OT is just a down and dirty depressing job as far as I am concerned and my greatest hope it that one day I will be able to get as far away from it as I can. Until that day I will suffer through it because gosh darn I need a little money sorry. Dislike me if you must, I am only human and do not enjoy this field at all.

I'm pusuing an OTA career not just for "fun", but for my purpose in helping others. I'de love to hear about your experiences of why I should/should not consider this occupation. Reading through these posts, I'm left vey confused.

All the best to you,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tica in Springfield, Massachusetts

59 months ago

It's all about the money in Orlando, Florida said: I don't like this career much but am I going to quit? Heck NO! I've been a COTA now for 2 years and make $35 an hour. Life is sweet. I don't mind cleaning poop for 8 hours a day. I whistle while I work. I didn't go to school for 2 years to clean poop, I went to school for 2 years to make $35+/hour. Money pays the bills. Nuff said. By the way, Florida is where the moneys at if you like that sort of thing. Also, Obama's healthcare reform is not going to change anything. COTA jobs will still be here. Don't be like the rest of the kool-aid drinkers and panic.

I doubt you even make that much as an ota. Give me a break!!!!!!! And you shouldnt be doing a job just for the money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tica in Springfield, Massachusetts

59 months ago

Money Mike. said: Who the hell are you telling me what I make? You work in Mass. making pennies. I work for money only.

Why are you doing a job for money if you dont like it. It makes no sense. don't you think the clients you work with deserves to be in the hands of someone who loves what they dont do. You just said you don't like the career but you are doing it just for the money. I just dont feel that it is right thats all. you should try doing something you like. I dont know how long you have been an ota but it wont be long before you call it a quit if you really dont like it. Money wont mean much anymore. Just do something you like dear... It just get me a little upset to see people doing jobs just for the money not because they love what they do that all. If I offended you, my apology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mame in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

Learning Something New Everyday in Stockton, California said: TO THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM, DO NOT RESPOND TO JILLIAN OR CHARLIE. THIS PERSON CHANGES THEIR NAME EVERY OTHER DAY, BAD MOUTHS OTS AND COTAS. THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO ANNOY PEOPLE AND CHASE THEM AWAY FROM THE OT PERFESSION. PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT THEY HAVE POSTED ON OTHER FORUMS ON INDEED GIVING MISGUIDING INFORMATION. THIS PERSONS INFO IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED! THEY ARE HIGHLY MENTAL UNSTABLE! DON'T FEED INTO THEIR MADNESS!

She doesnt' just go by Jillian either...she goes by a slew of other names and also takes names of others on the forum...the only thing that seperates this nutjob from the others is well...her attitude, which can easily be spotted with one word from her post...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MIvey in Lithia, Florida

57 months ago

BL in Valrico, Florida said: The toileting aspect is a part of activities of daily living. You don't spend 8 hours a day doing toileting! If you are an OT you are more than likely going to also be treating patients as well as doing evaluations. OT's also do toileting. If you choose OT you are doing rehabilitation for persons that need to become as independent as possible and dressing and toileting are part of the job. If you get your Masters you are still going to do toileting but don't get hung up on that one activity. Depending on the patient, the setting and the facility you do so many different activities including : strength and balance exercises, functional mobility, and activities that simulate the body movements needed to do basic adls (dressing, grooming and toileting. Some OT's and Cota's don't even do the toileting they simulate the motions and body movements needed to perform the task. I personally do the activity because I find that simulation is not as effective as doing it. OT's come up with goals for the COTA and then the COTA decides what activities to do in order to achieve the goals. The OT does not tell you what activity to do because you go to school to become skilled to select activites etc. I would do the OTA program at a public community college versus a private school. Don't spend extra money on the schooling because to get certified and take the national exam will be aroung 800 dollars. Good luck.

I am in Valrico and would like to ask you some questions-can I email you?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ash in Toledo, Ohio

57 months ago

This was just confusing because out of all the research I've done and OTA's that I've talked to I'd say about 95% of them have all said they loved their jobs. This is the first time I've come across anything with such negative comments about being an OTA. These's forums are hard to judge anyway because anyone can pretend to be an OTA when really they have no experience in the field.

Can anyone give me some legit reasons why they dont like being an OTA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ConsideringOT in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

57 months ago

For those of you who think the profession is a bad one, can you say why so that we can look at all options? I know that the South pays less, so I am considering going to school here and then moving out.

I am without work going on 2 years and figure a career change is the only way I will ever work again and make over 10. an hr. Sharing why it's bad may have something to do with the organization you are in or the way it's managed in your state? More info. would help us shape some idea of what we are getting into.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ConsideringOT in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

57 months ago

Tica in Springfield, Massachusetts said: I doubt you even make that much as an ota. Give me a break!!!!!!! And you shouldnt be doing a job just for the money!

Why would you be doing aide work as an OT and why would they pay you that much to clean up doo? Makes no sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ash in Toledo, Ohio

57 months ago

I know, I feel like no one is really giving legit reasons for why the field of OT is so bad.

Yes dealing with adl's such as toileting and bathing might be addressed in your job (really depending on what type of setting you work at). I can see where accidents and occasional messes might happen that you have to deal with if you are working with people that are ill but I think this aspect will be minimal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.