revisiting COTA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

ardentanglophile in Bellevue, Washington

49 months ago

Last year I was in Greenriver's program but withdrew after I read some comments here. I am sorry I did now because I cannot find a job to save my life and at least this career has more job opportunities than the one I was pursuing.

I want to hear from students in the program how they are liking it, are they able to work during the day?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

OTA student in Bonney Lake, Washington

49 months ago

I remember coming on here about a yr ago and seeing your name b/c your from WA and I was thinking "I cant wait for HE/SHE to be done so I can ask tons of questions about the job market".What happened? I have another yr to go and I'm really happy w/ my choice..I have to admit there are really bitter people in my program, just as there are on these forum, but I think these times we live in have produced frustration over the system(Unemployment,Foreclosure,Job insecurity etc).It seems like everyone is either pissed or scared...This is the way I look at it..I lost the job (Sales), noone is hiring,I'm not marketable, obviously not indespensable and I need to pay bills, and support family..So What do i do? Wait for a empty promise or dev a new skill? I chose the skill.

So I ask you this ...Are you going to revisit these forums and wait for the perfect response on here, read the tons of neg feed back from the quack(the one that loves to post in diff names) or take a leap of faith and revisit these forums a yr from now and feel great that you have progressed...A yr has passed and you could already A) be half way done or B)have completed a program of study ...may it be OT or something else, What do you think? Not what someone else on here wants you to think.. b/c at th end of the day its your choice:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ardentanglophile in Redmond, Washington

49 months ago

OTA student in Bonney Lake, Washington said: I remember coming on here about a yr ago and seeing your name b/c your from WA and I was thinking "I cant wait for HE/SHE to be done so I can ask tons of questions about the job market".What happened? I have another yr to go and I'm really happy w/ my choice..I have to admit there are really bitter people in my program, just as there are on these forum, but I think these times we live in have produced frustration over the system(Unemployment,Foreclosure,Job insecurity etc).It seems like everyone is either pissed or scared...This is the way I look at it..I lost the job (Sales), noone is hiring,I'm not marketable, obviously not indespensable and I need to pay bills, and support family..So What do i do? Wait for a empty promise or dev a new skill? I chose the skill.

So I ask you this ...Are you going to revisit these forums and wait for the perfect response on here, read the tons of neg feed back from the quack(the one that loves to post in diff names) or take a leap of faith and revisit these forums a yr from now and feel great that you have progressed...A yr has passed and you could already A) be half way done or B)have completed a program of study ...may it be OT or something else, What do you think? Not what someone else on here wants you to think.. b/c at th end of the day its your choice:)

Gosh, did you read my mind? Here I sit. Im 45 and I cannot get a job. I estimate that it will probably take me maybe six months to get one if I am lucky. I think well, I could be looking for a job, and get more and more depressed, or I can get a degree in something where I actually see the job announcements are more than 5 for the whole United States!

I re-applied to the program and I am on a waitlist. THis time I am going to ask for loans so I can manage financially with the gas. I know this job is not ideal in any way but right now I just want a job and I have the semblance of helping people.

49 months ago

I did, however, leave because my husband became unemployed during the first month of the program, and we just could not afford the gas traveling 40miles each way. Besides, the professors were really inflexible about missing class. I do understand that we need to know the content, etc. But the professors would have dropped me anyway because I would have missed some classes. I hope they are little more understanding? I won't expect it. Who knows, I may not even make it into the program.

49 months ago

ardentanglophile in Redmond, Washington said: I did, however, leave because my husband became unemployed during the first month of the program, and we just could not afford the gas traveling 40miles each way. Besides, the professors were really inflexible about missing class. I do understand that we need to know the content, etc. But the professors would have dropped me anyway because I would have missed some classes. I hope they are little more understanding? I won't expect it. Who knows, I may not even make it into the program.

Run dont walk to the program being offered at Pima...if flexibility is what your after..My instructors understand the demands of life...Smaller more intimate setting, 18 month program and the prereqs are worked into the program...Yes it cost more but take into consideration the cost of life,being on a waitlist (thats if you get in) and travel time....get more bang for your buck paying the tuition at Pima...next program starts in Sept...Believe me---prior to being in school ,depression was my middle name; I was wondering when the hell am I going to start working???

49 months ago

How much are you paying if I might ask? I have all my prerequisites done anyway. It would be definitely closer. But it is not YET accredited right? When do they expect it to be done? Lake Washington is the same way although they are full.

49 months ago

ardentanglophile in Redmond, Washington said: How much are you paying if I might ask? I have all my prerequisites done anyway. It would be definitely closer. But it is not YET accredited right? When do they expect it to be done? Lake Washington is the same way although they are full.

Correct, they are in the "developing accreditation status"....althought the other campus in Colorado has received full accreditation (OTA)recently which was excellent b/c Pima follows the same format of curriculum in all their schools. So what does that mean, well AOTA holds the same standard w/ no exceptions for all developing programs and if the program(OTA) in Colorado was good to meet qualifications for accreditation, so will the Renton program..They will follow exactly what Colorado did to meet the standards...The tuition is fully refundable if it does not...just for added insurance...the cost is around $24K..But I would see if you are eligible for grants, student loans and what have you..

49 months ago

OTA student in Bonney Lake, Washington said: Correct, they are in the "developing accreditation status"....althought the other campus in Colorado has received full accreditation (OTA)recently which was excellent b/c Pima follows the same format of curriculum in all their schools. So what does that mean, well AOTA holds the same standard w/ no exceptions for all developing programs and if the program(OTA) in Colorado was good to meet qualifications for accreditation, so will the Renton program..They will follow exactly what Colorado did to meet the standards...The tuition is fully refundable if it does not...just for added insurance...the cost is around $24K..But I would see if you are eligible for grants, student loans and what have you..

Thanks for the information. That is more acceptable to me: refunding the tuition if they do not gain accreditation. I just went to NCBOT site. The only way to sit for an exam is to graduate for an accredited school.

I notice that I have most of the prerequisites completed. Did you bypass and go into core classes? And you are almost ready to graduate right since you started last year? So what will you do while you wait for accreditation to happen? The aota site says the accreditation commission isn't schedule to make their visit until 2010/2011?

48 months ago

Accreditation will happen in Spring of 2011 and I dont graduate till the end of summer of 2011, so I'll be just fine

48 months ago

So did you complete the prerequisites at PIMA or another community college? If you did not do your prerequisites at PIMA, did they transfer over to PIMA?

48 months ago

I had my A.A already but never completed any pre-reqs for this program...I was originally going to transfer and get my BS/BA...I'm not sure how or what would transfer for you.

HumpyDumpy in Port Orchard, Washington

26 months ago

Unless you like wiping bums, don't becoma COTA! The system is not what is used to be and has become VERY NARROW. I specialized in Orthopedic outpatient care and was damn good at it. I had to move. No work, none. And so I considered working outside my credentials, be an Aid, sweep floors, stay in the medical arena, no one wants to talk to me. Okay, I had ONE interview in two years but didn't get the job. Personally the entire COTA run has ended in a 15 year waste of time. I liked the work, it made me feel purposeful. But so what? Good luck out there as you'll all likely be wiping bum in SNF's and changing attends, not providing meaningful independence oriented therapy. Stay where you are or become a PT/PTA, OT is a waste of time and you will not be respected for your hard work. Don't mistake my honesty with negativity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.