You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

ABOC Optician in California

78 months ago

I find it tough to work in my field as a "middle ager" due
to the fierce young girls both as managers and the cultural
differences in our area. Any thoughts on who is hiring that would
appreciate someone a bit older than the norm for this field who is
dedicated and reliable, (without personal drama)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

I hear you in Fremont, California

66 months ago

ABOC Optician in California said: I find it tough to work in my field as a "middle ager" due
to the fierce young girls both as managers and the cultural
differences in our area. Any thoughts on who is hiring that would
appreciate someone a bit older than the norm for this field who is
dedicated and reliable, (without personal drama)?

My sentiments exactly, my question exactly. If misery loves company I am with you on this issue. I have been looking for work for a long time, fit your description exactly. Younger mgrs are threatened by us,
and I only speak English which shouldn't be a hinderance but is....
Each culture has it's preferences......and most would rather hire a young person for $14 hr without skills than serve their customers/ patients well and have a certified Optician who will bring their patients back year after year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

abo/ncle in sac in Sacramento, California

62 months ago

I came from the grocery stores after many many years. I went to school, studied and tested.I have found that the optical world is picky,if you are not a young fashion diva, cheerleader type. you better have something else working for you.a lot of young women OD's are just as bad.I think it is time the state require ABO certs to work with pt.s that will weed out untrained cheep labor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Opt1cian in Tucson, Arizona

55 months ago

abo/ncle in sac in Sacramento, California said: I came from the grocery stores after many many years. I went to school, studied and tested.I have found that the optical world is picky,if you are not a young fashion diva, cheerleader type. you better have something else working for you.a lot of young women OD's are just as bad.I think it is time the state require ABO certs to work with pt.s that will weed out untrained cheep labor

Hello. I saw these comments and find commonality with them. I retired in 2008 with 30 years from AT&T and immediately attended an optical dispensing program in Southern CA. I graduated first in my class and passed my ABO while in school and my NCLE right after school. I wanted to go to AZ right away where 2 of my 3 grown sons live. The economy being the way it is I applied for several companies online and walking in my resume at various places and introducing myself to the office manager. I applied for these jobs in both states. I was called by a Lenscrafters in Santa Monica, CA. I was in the surfacing lab. The work was fascinating but I worked for uncertified kids who got a kick out of telling an old guy what to do. They had no tact or knew how to treat others. I was commuting 65 miles each way for this job. I made the decision to move to AZ. I soon found out the licensing requirements here. They want an A.A. in optical dispensing and 3 years on the job. They make it almost impossible. Also, AZ has no more programs in opticianry. I was hired by WalMart. Loved the job, but the optometrist was an absolute pill to work with. She can't stand people. Very unusual for an optometrist. WalMart doesn't know what to do with her because she's independent. Well, I left right before Christmas because at my age I don't want to put with the nonsense but am a bit disillusioned with the field. I think that my resume intimidates people sometimes and they view me as competition. Very frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Berkeley, California

52 months ago

Man, can I identify with you. Experience and talent are qualities that intimidate young managers and they are not willing to take the risk of hiring someone who feel is ready to jump into their shoes and take over. Boy, ageism is alive and well in the San Fransisco bay area. I knew this would happen one day, and i'm living the cruel reality.

HyperOptics Optometry in San Francisco, California

38 months ago

We are currently seeking an Optician/Office Manager at HyperOptics Optometry! We are looking for someone with at least 5 years experience who is also ABOC and lives in the bay area-- I don't think we have any issues with older applicants as long as they are capable, experienced opticians who love fun, fashionable glasses! You can check us out at hyperopticsoptometry.com

LBNN in San Jose, California

35 months ago

Just venting...just saying...sigh

I am a Certified Optician and I have been in the optical field since 1999. I am going for my NCLE certification next year. I was laid off from a small privately owned optometry over a month ago and I find it extremely difficult to find an Optician position. My most recent employer was affected by the massive layoffs from the surrounding companies which widely took their insurance, VSP. Since I was the newest employee and didn't know the ways of the company as thoroughly as I should, I was axed. I was bummed and hurt. I was promised growth and stability but I got nothing but a big lie and the owning/managing doctor even added "no hard feelings". However, I've gotten over it. Now I'm energized and back up and running. This time around, I am trying vigorously to get into hospitals and big medical centers and opthalmologies; I am confident they will seldom be affected by the terrible economy and lay off their most dedicated employees. I bent over backwards, stayed over time, and went and beyond as far as customer patient care. It is a cruel economy and small privately owned offices are only looking out for themselves. I pray that I get into a larger chain optical dispensaries such as hospitals, medical centers, and/or opthalmologies. Please Help, if you find any. Opticianry is my passion, I don't think I ever want to go back doing accounting with my Bachelors Degree in Business Management.

LBNN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LBNN in San Jose, California

35 months ago

HyperOptics Optometry in San Francisco, California said: We are currently seeking an Optician/Office Manager at HyperOptics Optometry! We are looking for someone with at least 5 years experience who is also ABOC and lives in the bay area-- I don't think we have any issues with older applicants as long as they are capable, experienced opticians who love fun, fashionable glasses! You can check us out at hyperopticsoptometry.com

I just checked out your website and your office is so cute! I wish you had an office in San Jose. Best Wishes, LBNN

Tri-City Optometry in Fremont, California

3 months ago

Hello, We are a growing optometry office in Newark, Ca and a looking for an optician with lots of experience and ABOC to join our team. email your resume at schatwani@gmail.com

eyeballoons in San Francisco, California

2 months ago

I'm looking to hire a part time optician or sales person for my optical shop located in downtown SF. Seeking someone with good communication skills, customer service, and fashion sense to assist customers with choosing attractive glasses frames. Pay based on experience; will train. Please email me if interested: eyeballoons@gmail.com.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.