Optician career in NJ

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

cstock21 in Bound Brook, New Jersey

49 months ago

Very confused here. I am 44 years old and in the middle of a career change from graphic design to becoming a licensed optician. I will be starting my second year of school at Raritan Valley CC in the fall. My concern is whether or not this is a good field. I have a lot riding on this and do not want to be pursuing this career if it is not worth it. Along with my graphic design experience, I have experience working as a certified ophthalmic assistant. I was laid off from my graphic design job one year ago and did not see many opportunities. For that reason I decided to return to school. I have friends who still work in ophthalmology who tell me I could make about $20/hr. if I went back to that. I decided to return to school because the program coordinator and some other opticians I had spoken to seemed to indicate that one could make $50,000/year to start with a license in NJ and could realistically make $60,000 with some years of experience, more if you own your own place. Is this true???? An optician I spoke with today said salary ranges in NJ for a licensed optician are about $24/hr. That comes in at $46,000/year. What is the truth here? Any input would be much appreciated. Also, do Optometric or Ophthalmology practices pay better? I am pretty sure I do not want to work for one of the chains. Thanks in advance for any input.

cstock

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dev in Ozone Park, New York

48 months ago

I am sorry to say...its not like that anymore. Mid 40s is about right. Worse elsewhere in the country. What they are telling you is what the salaries were when they were working in the field. Salaries have dropped to what they were 10 years ago. I am your age so I sympathize but this is not a great switch of fields. You could do as well in retail with no further education needed. You could get a real estate licsense in 2 weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

helen marty in New York, New York

40 months ago

Being a licensed optician is a position that has been degraded to order taker. You are held hostage by corporate clones who are above you with no optical knowledge that force you to work alone in many cases compromise your license and integrity of the buisness daily for profit at the cost of the consumer. Helping people see is secondary and you are only as good as your last sales printout.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

YOHAN in Manahawkin, New Jersey

30 months ago

I EARNED 87K LST YR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Not as dumb as RVCC would have me be!! in Trenton, New Jersey

30 months ago

The truth is that your NJ License is valuable in New Jersey. As far as "oodles" of cash are concerned, it depends on some serious factors. If you are young and single with no kids, this is the best case scenario. You can take a good rate of pay starting typically at $22-$24 an hour. Some corporate employers may even pay as much as $25-$27 an hour, which would typically include decent benefits. Beware of private doctors(Optometrists,Ophthalmologists)promising a great salary.That is about all they can offer! Forget benefits for you or your family.

cstock21 in Bound Brook, New Jersey said: Very confused here. I am 44 years old and in the middle of a career change from graphic design to becoming a licensed optician. I will be starting my second year of school at Raritan Valley CC in the fall. My concern is whether or not this is a good field. I have a lot riding on this and do not want to be pursuing this career if it is not worth it. Along with my graphic design experience, I have experience working as a certified ophthalmic assistant. I was laid off from my graphic design job one year ago and did not see many opportunities. For that reason I decided to return to school. I have friends who still work in ophthalmology who tell me I could make about $20/hr. if I went back to that. I decided to return to school because the program coordinator and some other opticians I had spoken to seemed to indicate that one could make $50,000/year to start with a license in NJ and could realistically make $60,000 with some years of experience, more if you own your own place. Is this true???? An optician I spoke with today said salary ranges in NJ for a licensed optician are about $24/hr. That comes in at $46,000/year. What is the truth here? Any input would be much appreciated. Also, do Optometric or Ophthalmology practices pay better? I am pretty sure I do not want to work for one of the chains. Thanks in advance for any input.

cstock

n

dj fletch in Trenton, New Jersey

30 months ago

good luck with the career change,not a good move unless you like working with ungrateful public,moron that treat pros like order takers.after 42 years i make 30.00 bucks a hour,not many benefitsand a chain is the only safe way to go. Private optometrist or opthalmologist are shakey to work for. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

radar in Haddonfield, New Jersey

28 months ago

YOHAN in Manahawkin, New Jersey said: I EARNED 87K LST YR

bull s--t!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

supermario@aol.com in Trenton, New Jersey

23 months ago

Gee-Whiz! David Fletcher huh? I must disagree with you sir! Corporate chains are the slime of the industry. What good are their so-called benefits if in reality you can never use them? Like the so-called vacation time that you may have coming to you. or sick time. Hey DJ, it's time to put yourself out to pasture!!

dj fletch in Trenton, New Jersey said: good luck with the career change,not a good move unless you like working with ungrateful public,moron that treat pros like order takers.after 42 years i make 30.00 bucks a hour,not many benefitsand a chain is the only safe way to go. Private optometrist or opthalmologist are shakey to work for. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dr. Dan Meltzer in Princeton, New Jersey

17 days ago

cstock21 in Bound Brook, New Jersey said: Very confused here. I am 44 years old and in the middle of a career change from graphic design to becoming a licensed optician. I will be starting my second year of school at Raritan Valley CC in the fall. My concern is whether or not this is a good field. I have a lot riding on this and do not want to be pursuing this career if it is not worth it. Along with my graphic design experience, I have experience working as a certified ophthalmic assistant . I was laid off from my graphic design job one year ago and did not see many opportunities. For that reason I decided to return to school. I have friends who still work in ophthalmology who tell me I could make about $20/ hr . if I went back to that. I decided to return to school because the program coordinator and some other opticians I had spoken to seemed to indicate that one could make $50,000/year to start with a license in NJ and could realistically make $60,000 with some years of experience, more if you own your own place. Is this true???? An optician I spoke with today said salary ranges in NJ for a licensed optician are about $24/hr. That comes in at $46,000/year. What is the truth here? Any input would be much appreciated. Also, do Optometric or Ophthalmology practices pay better? I am pretty sure I do not want to work for one of the chains. Thanks in advance for any input.

cstock

I just want to say that I presently have a job opening in my private optometry practice in Iselin, NJ for 25-30 hours/week. Please reply back if you're interested. And I disagree with many of the comments listed. Private practices often pay very well, even though the benefits are slightly less. But the hours are much better. In my office, your schedule is set every week. In corporate locations, many opticians complain of a schedule that changes every week. You may also email a reply to: drdan675@yahoo.com.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.