Are oracle database administrator job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most oracle database administrator opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Needham, Massachusetts

85 months ago

I have definitely seen a rapid decline of Oracle DBA
jobs because most shops are in the process or have already
switched to SQL server. SQL server has done a good job of
coping Oracle's features but still lags in total compared
to Oracle. Ask any recruiter and they will tell they don't
see much Oracle work out there compared to SQL server. Its
the licensing. I posted this to an Oracle forum
forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=2163740#2163740
and their response was not very professional... but its the truth.
Oracle is pricing themselves out of the market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Oracle Database Administrator in Frisco, Texas

84 months ago

Oracle Database Administrator, database administrator, dba, 9i, 10g, oracle dba, oracle database administrator, UNIX, LINUX, RMAN

Lookeng for the the Exact Person with great skills
SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ST in Arlington, Virginia

79 months ago

You have to be kidding, Oracle DBA's make about 20% more than SQL Server DBA's. For a large business the cost of software is a small part of the implementation cost often < 5% of the total implementation cost. MySQL has been hurting Oracle more, SQL Server is only used by Microsoft shops who don't want to run Linux/Unix because they are not 24X7 and/or are not concerned about security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Baltimore, Maryland

41 months ago

I too have seen a decline in Oracle DBA positions. Most Oracle jobs I find are either short term contract positions or require an active clearance. Most DBA jobs I find that are not through a head hunter and are real permanent jobs are for SQL DBAs. I picked the wrong software to support!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Nashville, Tennessee

39 months ago

Oracle DBA position in Nashville, TN
Two (2) years of experience in Oracle database administration, encompassing database analysis and design with expertise in the Oracle database management system. A Bachelor’s degree in one of the computer sciences or management information systems is preferred. Oracle CA or CP certification preferred. Strong knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of computer programming and systems design. Strong knowledge of computer operations, systems, and procedures. Strong project control and cost estimating skills. Understanding of computer programming languages, and data processing flowcharting techniques. Strong understanding of Database structures and theories, current database technologies, and of data analysis techniques. Candidates only. No recruiters, Please. Send Resume to employment@umpublishing.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

oracle dba in Centreville, Virginia

37 months ago

the DBA positions which need cross technologies are increasing these day

they are looking for ORACLE /SQL SERVER

oracle with informatica/OBIEE/GOLDEN GATE /SHAREPLEX

mainly 11G dba's with 11g rac /dataguard/performace tuning /RAT and all new features

they are trying to squeeze a lot out of a single
some of the interviewers are not looking for the ability to things

they are looking for exact specific skill which makes it hard to get a job in this markey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.