How to get a job as crane operator in the States

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Ronald in Haarlem, Netherlands

89 months ago

Hi, I'm a crane operator (Harbour Pontoon Cranes) in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I want to go with my family to the USA to live and work there as a crane operator. Any tips?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nmkuhn in CA in Selma, California

88 months ago

Just start sending out resumes. I'd start with looking on the internet for companies in your desired area. Look in areas around refineries (refineries are always working), or near ports. If you don't have a preference of where you want to live, look at statistics for the fastest growing cities. Make sure your certifications are up to date and accepted in the area you are trying to work( I see NCCO being required fairly often). There are a number of construction placement agencies on the internet, and the two most popular job sheets "Industrial Projects Report" and "Industrial Tradesman" have hundreds of listings of construction companies. And keep looking and keep looking, jobs are hard to come by.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marco in Apo

84 months ago

Good day.

I am currently active duty military and planning to become a crane operator when I separate from the service in a year. My current job does not have anything to do with operating heavy equipment. I am planning on attending crane school here: heavyequipmenttraining.com/crane_operator.htm .

I will be moving to Newport News VA near Norfolk.

How far will attending the mentioned school get me in getting a crane operator job, civilian or with the military as a civilian?

I appreciate any information.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

You're crazy. Stay where you are. I would love to live in the Netherlands any day over the USA. You have so much more freedoms where you are. Life in the USA is not what you think. Millions are out of work or working low paying jobs and living in poverty. Job discrimination is rampant. Our government is crazy and doesn't care about its people. Our government just cares about the rich and starting wars. Think twice before you move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pyro

63 months ago

Ronald in Haarlem, Netherlands said: Hi, I'm a crane operator (Harbour Pontoon Cranes) in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I want to go with my family to the USA to live and work there as a crane operator. Any tips?

Hi Ronald, I do not want to discourage you,but this economy may not your best time. I've operated cranes 32 years & I've never seen it quite this bad. Hard to locate jobs(crane)anywhere. If you contact HCCO in Clearwater,Fl(usa),i understand they can make arrangments for client's to test online.Best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Pyro

63 months ago

Joe in Chicago, Illinois said: You're crazy. Stay where you are. I would love to live in the Netherlands any day over the USA. You have so much more freedoms where you are. Life in the USA is not what you think. Millions are out of work or working low paying jobs and living in poverty. Job discrimination is rampant. Our government is crazy and doesn't care about its people. Our government just cares about the rich and starting wars. Think twice before you move.

I'll 2nd this BIGTIME,HELLO RONALD,ARE YOU LISTENING!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.