Considering OTR Driver As A Career Change

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Steve in Kissimmee, Florida

74 months ago

I am currently looking at OTR truck driving as a career, and would like input and suggestions as to what I should look for and LOOK OUT FOR!.

I have been looking at various websites to try and get some idea as to what to expect as pay of a newbee driver, and the options of how to obtain my CDL without having to pay anything up front.

One company that I came across P.A.M Transport who will pay the majority of the CDL training fee. This is from the Drivers Solutions website Through the Driver Solutions company-sponsored training program, you will delay your training cost until you are well established in your new driving career. By choosing the P.A.M.'s sponsorship, you won't pay the regular full tuition of $5,995. Instead, P.A.M. has agreed to sponsor the first $4,900 of the tuition. Your commitment to the training cost is $1,095, paid at the end of your first year of employment with the company.

Mileage Pay Rate
New drivers begin at $.28/mile as a solo driver
Pay increases to $.29/mile after 3 months; $.30/mile after 6 months; $.31/mile after 9 months; $.32/mile after one year
Average 1st year weekly earnings - $650 to $750
First-year drivers can expect to make up to $40,000
Benefits.

P.A.M. Transport offers great benefits for new drivers.
MEDICAL, DENTAL and PHARMACY COVERAGE - Begins the first day after four months of employment
LIFE INSURANCE - Both basic and supplementary are available
DISABILITY COVERAGE
401(K) RETIREMENT SAVINGS PLAN
PAID VACATIONS - 1 week after 1 year of employment; 2 weeks after 2 years; 3 weeks after 5 years

I would greatly appreciate if you veteran road warriors could advise, and suggest what I should be looking for in a good company, and CDL training program, and if the anyone of you have worked for or heard about PAM Transport

with the balance of $1,780.00 being deducted at $45.00 per week for 44 weeks. Pay and Benefits:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Advanced Transport in Gainesville, Florida

20 months ago

We realize that some of these forum postings are rather old, but we wanted to share our information for any Owner/Operators or non-driving truck owners looking to increase their bottom line. We know it’s hard out there for single owner/operators and small carriers and we want to help.

We are a small asset-based carrier as well and we know how challenging it can be to secure good-paying loads and flexible home time. With us you are more than just a truck number or billing code! We’d love to share more about our current programs including our lease programs for those with their own equipment, as well as drivers looking to own their own equipment. We also have brokerage and dispatch services for drivers with their own authority.

We can help keep you loaded year-round and/or provide you with loads to supplement your current lanes. We currently have opportunities for dry van, refrigerated and flatbed carriers. For more information, please send an E-mail to: mytruckdispatch@att.net.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.