lost work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

frank in Minneapolis, Minnesota

116 months ago

i live in MN. i started a crew of five guys this summer. work was great till a crew of ten could do the things i was doing for the same price? i lost it all i really wasnt paying my guys top wage i lost alot. how can i get that many workers for that price and be legal? how can i stop them from bringing down my wage?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Black Tie Painting in Haverhill, Massachusetts

114 months ago

Call INS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

johne in Middleton, Massachusetts

102 months ago

elegal immigrants

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mark in Chicago, Illinois

101 months ago

Things will change as soon as Bush gets the hell out of office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Saint Petersburg, Florida

100 months ago

I,ve been in constuction for over 30 years,mainly drywall and frameing, most people don,t understand how big of a problem this is,you can go to almost any constuction site in Florida and there full of illegals,doing drywall,framing,stucco,roofing,painting and much more. All good paying jobs,while Americans are pushing brooms,picking up trash, there not here to pick fruit and veggies,THEY'RE TAKING OUR JOBS,this is wrong...I got laid off,and can,t find work because the ILLEGALS are taking it all,this is wrong and nobody doing a damn thing about it. Except when they want my tax money,this is happening in every state,BUILDERS,DEVELOPERS,CONTRACTORS,SUBCONTRACTORS, are getting RICH AT THE COST OF MY JOB and my fellow American constuction workers jobs,it's time for of us to standup to this and make it CLEAR WERE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT MUCH LONGER,thank you for letting me speak my mind it felt good and I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way GOD BLESS THE U.S.A thank you....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ribbitthepainter in Aurora, Illinois

100 months ago

I keep reading things like this, but you know what? I have been looking for employees now for almost a year because I am growing in the general contracting industry, and NO ONE wants a job. What's the catch? We travel. All year long in fact. now the illegal immigrants, which remember we all were at one point, they will do anything!!! you say jump, they jump. They make the sacrifices and do the work for half the cost. As an "American" we all got spoiled and we dont want to make any sacrifices like travelling, or cleaning, because we are better than that. There are jobs out there, and ways to make your company succeed, its just that no one wants to sacrifice anything to get there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Here is the Catch... We Americans have for years worked are butts off proving ourselves to the employers and in turn we earned our increase in wages. If you are in business you should expect to pay good wages for good skilled workers. If you can not pay honest wages YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING IN BUSINESS. And if you are hiring illegals YOU are part of the problem. If you can't find workers, you want something for nothing. So.... How many illegals are you employing? As an employer it is your responsibility to hire LEGAL workers. Ever hear of an I-9 form? It’s required buy law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

you are very arrogant. don't assume things without the knowledge. I NEVER said that I employed illegal immigrants. You immediately assumed. I am in business because I am smart and skilled. I pay my SKILLED EMPLOYEES very well. You say good wages for good workers? You consider yourself good when you start and 9am, take a break at 10am, take lunch at 1130am till 1pm, take another break at 2pm and then leave the job at 330pm. WOW YOU ARE HARD WORKING!! If you say I am the problem, My business, along with others that have survived this economy, support 2/3 of the economy. Americans or not, if you are lazy, you are left without a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

And Now who is Assuming..... Worked 60 to 70 hours a week on the job at 6:00 am and work until dark. Highly skilled and never lazy and can do more that spray paint on the walls. Ran large crews. The fact is Florida has lost large amounts of jobs in the construction field. Companies need to have more integrity and follow the laws that are in place. Many times Good hardworking people get laid off because some arrogant Business owner wants to save a few bucks and hire illigals for cheaper pay. States need to start fining Businesses for hiring illigals. Arizona already is doing this….You see someone has to set the example. Good for Arrizona!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Unfortunately I know why you are bitter. I have done a lot of work in Florida, I know how the illegals are there. I just do not like people blaming them. I do not know who you are. As a business owner, I can fully understand why companies are outsourcing to other countries. If they kept everything here, NO company would stay in business. Fact is, everything is too expensive and in order to keep the economy going, as crappy as it is right now, they have to look elsewhere for cheaper labor. All of my employees are citizens that pay their taxes, but they are very ethnic. I have interviewed within the last 10 months over 150 people. From that number, not one person showed up to a job. I even had one guy who had ZERO experience in the field, but painted his house and got compliments, expected to get paid over 75K a year. Another who wanted to only estimate a job and earn over 95K. While in Florida, Daytona Beach in fact, I knew a lot of business that were shut down because of the illegal immigrant issue. What Arizona is doing is happening everywhere, even, yes the chicago area, who are taking factory jobs. Its just a little harder to see it when you are not in it. I do not work with residential jobs. With most, they cannot compete with Jose Painting. I do industrial, I have my insurance requirements and I follow the law. I do not have to worry about Jose coming into my territory because I know that most cannot afford those insurance premiums. I know you are a hardworking person, and I am sorry for what someone in my position has done, I wish you great luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

I,m not bitter more concern. theres room for some,but not 20 millon, there putting a strain on the economy.and i,m friends with alot of them,and talk to them,most don,t want to live here, they work here and send there money south to better there lifes there,I think it was 6 billon dollars last year. this is money not being put back in the economy,the goverment is starting to realize this. I feel bad for most of them.There good people. There countrys need to treat there people better,and pay them right.But this is not going to happen as long as there here.You know it,s to the point now where i,m seeing this affecting me my job and my family, haveing my American Dream taken away from me makeing my life harder,I,m makeing less now then i did 20 years ago, The laws need to be enforced,And let some of in Legally and with in the law not 20 millon it,s to many it,s putting good Americans out of work. GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rabb in Chicago, Illinois

96 months ago

Ribbit the Painter in Aurora, Illinois said: you are very arrogant. don't assume things without the knowledge. I NEVER said that I employed illegal immigrants. You immediately assumed. I am in business because I am smart and skilled. I pay my SKILLED EMPLOYEES very well. You say good wages for good workers? You consider yourself good when you start and 9am, take a break at 10am, take lunch at 1130am till 1pm, take another break at 2pm and then leave the job at 330pm. WOW YOU ARE HARD WORKING!! If you say I am the problem, My business, along with others that have survived this economy, support 2/3 of the economy. Americans or not, if you are lazy, you are left without a job.

i am not lazy i am BLACK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

prosous in stony point, North Carolina

91 months ago

frank in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: i live in MN. i started a crew of five guys this summer. work was great till a crew of ten could do the things i was doing for the same price? i lost it all i really wasnt paying my guys top wage i lost alot. how can i get that many workers for that price and be legal? how can i stop them from bringing down my wage?

WELL YOU COULD TRY TO SHOOT THEM IN THE HAND

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Ribbit the Painter in Aurora, Illinois said: I keep reading things like this, but you know what? I have been looking for employees now for almost a year because I am growing in the general contracting industry, and NO ONE wants a job. What's the catch? We travel. All year long in fact. now the illegal immigrants, which remember we all were at one point, they will do anything!!! you say jump, they jump. They make the sacrifices and do the work for half the cost. As an "American" we all got spoiled and we dont want to make any sacrifices like travelling, or cleaning, because we are better than that. There are jobs out there, and ways to make your company succeed, its just that no one wants to sacrifice anything to get there.

PLEASE GO KILL YOURSELF

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Ribbit the Painter in Aurora, Illinois said: you are very arrogant. don't assume things without the knowledge. I NEVER said that I employed illegal immigrants. You immediately assumed. I am in business because I am smart and skilled. I pay my SKILLED EMPLOYEES very well. You say good wages for good workers? You consider yourself good when you start and 9am, take a break at 10am, take lunch at 1130am till 1pm, take another break at 2pm and then leave the job at 330pm. WOW YOU ARE HARD WORKING!! If you say I am the problem, My business, along with others that have survived this economy, support 2/3 of the economy. Americans or not, if you are lazy, you are left without a job.

ARE YOU SNORTING THE THINNER AGAIN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rabb in Chicago, Illinois

89 months ago

rabb in Chicago, Illinois said: i am not lazy i am BLACK

it's still the same way

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

martywolfe in Kernersville, North Carolina

79 months ago

The truth is most large paint contractors are working illegals. I know I've worked many. The government gives them Drivers License, ect. They fill out the I9, taxpapers, ect... I tried for years to play the honest game, but you can't stay in business, because no one else is. The easier thing to do and most large painters do it is they just sub out. They're hundred legal Mexicans working thousands of illegals. At least that way you're protected.

Regardless, they do work extremly hard and much cheaper. Since everyone doe's it you're forced to do it. I do have several good skilled Americans that run my higher end work. Everytime an American wants a job, they first ask for almost double the pay, then what benefits, don't want to travel, take extra breaks...that's just the facts...Not all, but most. If you're gonna paint today, this is the reality. Either work for yourself or adapt. If you have the whole spectrum of skills, clean cut and travel and will work for a medium wage, you might find a job for a Paint Contractor. Most of your big in house shop companies are gone, so it's hard to find decent job's. With the economy in NC right now...just aren't any in painting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

johnthehandypainter in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

Marty Wolfe in Kernersville, North Carolina said: The truth is most large paint contractors are working illegals. I know I've worked many. The government gives them Drivers License, ect. They fill out the I9, taxpapers, ect... I tried for years to play the honest game, but you can't stay in business, because no one else is. The easier thing to do and most large painters do it is they just sub out. They're hundred legal Mexicans working thousands of illegals. At least that way you're protected.

Regardless, they do work extremly hard and much cheaper. Since everyone doe's it you're forced to do it. I do have several good skilled Americans that run my higher end work. Everytime an American wants a job, they first ask for almost double the pay, then what benefits, don't want to travel, take extra breaks...that's just the facts...Not all, but most. If you're gonna paint today, this is the reality. Either work for yourself or adapt. If you have the whole spectrum of skills, clean cut and travel and will work for a medium wage, you might find a job for a Paint Contractor. Most of your big in house shop companies are gone, so it's hard to find decent job's. With the economy in NC right now...just aren't any in painting.

I am in Sacramento Ca, and I have allways kept my business on top of the table, and done all the work my self. The reward for all my hard work is nothing. No work, no business, no way to make a living. I did well when they were still building new homes, but for the last two years all of the workers on the tract have been finding work in residential. Now there is not much work available.

In California we need to secure a bond to contract it was allways $100 last year it went up to $1400 and I think it sucks to do any business in Cal.

I got a job with a commercial painter and he used my expertise and payed me just like his forien crew.

I think I'll just retire early

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gordon in San Antonio, Texas

67 months ago

Ribbit the Painter in Aurora, Illinois said: I keep reading things like this, but you know what? I have been looking for employees now for almost a year because I am growing in the general contracting industry, and NO ONE wants a job. What's the catch? We travel. All year long in fact. now the illegal immigrants, which remember we all were at one point, they will do anything!!! you say jump, they jump. They make the sacrifices and do the work for half the cost. As an "American" we all got spoiled and we dont want to make any sacrifices like travelling, or cleaning, because we are better than that. There are jobs out there, and ways to make your company succeed, its just that no one wants to sacrifice anything to get there.

becouse of what you will pay if your in buissnes its becouse you pay cheep wage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

becouse of what you will pay if your in buissnes its becouse you pay cheep wage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

its becouse you pay cheep

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

A in Hicksville, New York

64 months ago

frank in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: i live in MN. i started a crew of five guys this summer. work was great till a crew of ten could do the things i was doing for the same price? i lost it all i really wasnt paying my guys top wage i lost alot. how can i get that many workers for that price and be legal? how can i stop them from bringing down my wage?

YOUR A DICK BOSS DOESNT KNOW WAT YOUR DOING.JUST PACK IT IN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.