Books that every paralegal should have

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

Yeah.
The Blue Book (shows how to abbreviate statutes, codes, etc).
Rules of Civil Procedures for your state.
NALA Study Guide.

The Blue Book you should definitely have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

65 months ago

None. The law firm you work for will have Blue Books - if you even need them. And not every person gets their own set. The firms will also buy you the Rules you need. They will make sure you have the latest edition. I have never known any paralegal to buy their own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

She should have her very own Blue Book. No, she won't do drafting. But she may have to do transcription or editing - and she will need a Blue Book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

65 months ago

The only reason I ever looked at Blue Books was pre-Internet and I needed court information. Everything is online now.

tabbikat86 in Smithfield, North Carolina

65 months ago

I do have the black's law book, but I do not have a blue book. I have a legal research and writing text book that devotes several chapters to blue book citations. The book claims that it lists the most used and relevant portions of the blue book. The pocket legal writing handbook that I already purchased also has some blue book citing rules in it. I do have the state and federal rules of procedures but they are for the year 2009. My advisor told me that for school purposes I would not need to purchase the 2010 one, and now it is 2011...I guess I may need to buy updated ones. Thanks everyone for answering my question.

65 months ago

Don't buy updated books. DPL is right - the Employer provides books. You should have a small Webster Dictionary. I think you should spend the money for a Blue Book ($15?).

Michele DiCarlo in Syracuse, New York

65 months ago

I am interested in working in the legal field. I want to know if I should take some classes first or get my foot in the door to gain the experience. I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I do not have any practical experience in the legal field. However, I already finished with a bachelor's degree in International Studies back in 1992. I took a couple of legal classes at a local community college after completing my degree. I was wondering if its worth getting an associates degree for paralegal studies. Any advice?

shamane brown in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

looking for a aba paralegal certificate school.

tmf1977 in Yonkers, New York

64 months ago

I find that most firms have a legal library in place or access to Westlaw or Lexis. I do however find that in-house lacks reference materials (legal departments are not traditional law firms).

I have my own little library at home when I need to check on things:

- Blacks Law Dicitionary
- Blue Book Citation Manual
- CPLR (NY Civil Practice Law and Rules)
- Siegler Horn Book (NY-litigation proceedure manual)

Law books are expensive. I would not buy unless you have to.

Legal Eagle in East Islip, New York

62 months ago

shamane brown in Brooklyn, New York said: looking for a aba paralegal certificate school.

Suffolk County Community College

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.