Can you give me some advice about the pros and cons and the do's and don''ts of working with temp agencies please?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

pbair in Lapeer, Michigan

77 months ago

You're better off not using agencies, other places of employment look down on you for using them and it may be even harder to find a job or career!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Loooking for guidance in Lanham, Maryland

77 months ago

pbair in Lapeer, Michigan said: You're better off not using agencies, other places of employment look down on you for using them and it may be even harder to find a job or career!

I'm a little ticked off that someone could tell me before the interview now I can place a face with a name. What the heck does that mean? Where does that get you at the end of the day when you need a job and have bills to pay?

I tried to ascertain whether they actually HAD work before I took the time to come in for an interview which involved some considerable expense because I had to arrange for childcare. I specifically remember the recruiter saying that my name was on a list. Looking back now, I see that was a very vague, ambiguous, answer that she was probably trained to say. In hindsight, they lead you to believe that they are trying to help you, but in all actuality, they are working for the client who is paying them. Am I right here? Thanks for your thoughtful replies and your willingness to respond and enlighten me about the evil and cruel realities of dealing with temp placement agencies!

Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

77 months ago

The employess at temp agencies have to meet quotas - number of resumes received, number of calls made to company HR people, number of interviews with candidates, number of placements, etc.

So by bringing you in for an interview when they have no job for you (but telling you they do in order to persuade you to come in) they meet quotas and they have your resume in case in the future they have a need for your exact experience.

Plus they like to look at you before they place you. They want to know you will present well should you get placed in their name.

For fun, hop on over to the Robert Half discussion area on this indeed.com website. Very enlightening. Here let me help you get there bec the reading is THAT enlightening - www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/Robert-Half.html

Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Ok. I will check this out. How did you know about the quotas? I'm trying to work with one agency who claims to have an assignment for me, but when I call to check the status they seem annoyed. How can they expect you not to want to know what the heck is going on so you can have a livelihood? Does that make sense to you? It seems like someone is looking out for themselves if you ask me! I'm starting to feel tempted to leave the agencies alone for good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

You are so correct! To say this this is VERY enlightening is an understatement. Sounds like a sweatshop if you ask me.

Reply - Report abuse

Getting Smarter/Say No to Agencies! in Lanham, Maryland

75 months ago

I had an agency to call me today, and have the audacity, i.e. unmitigated gall to offer me a temp to perm position with a top 100 firm for only $15.00 stinkin dollars! You can't even see a decent movie for that amount? The agencies are jerks. I've made it my self-appointed mission to warn EVERYONE I know NOT to use agencies because they could care less about you and give one flyin fairy about your overall livelihood.

Reply - Report abuse

Tamarah Bartlett in Normal, Illinois

75 months ago

Thanks everyone for the information, it was verey helpful. And I have to agree with all that was stated in the conversation. I to have often ask myself why do these agencies display false needing help sighs; and after viewing this conversation I have a better understanding. Thanks again.

Reply - Report abuse

Getting Smarter/Say No to Agencies! in Lanham, Maryland

75 months ago

Guess what folks? I made a new contact through an acquaintance who works at an agency. This person gladly accepted my resume and wasn't salivating to bring me in for an interview with no known or forseeable openings in the near future! Can you believe it? I'm still recovering from the shock!

After the person told me that they would bring me in for an interview ONLY if they actually had work, I explained what my experience had been with the agency quota factory. This person gave me the 411 that they do not operate that way! This agency also places paralegals at government agencies too. I'm glad to know there are some conscionable people out there, aren't you? Makes you less cyncial about the paralegal temp world doesn't it?

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.