Career Change

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

chiquitamad in Metairie, Louisiana

111 months ago

Im confused!! I've been a lit paralegal for 5 years and dont feel productive anymore..... I create binders, schedule depo's and put up with "Attitude" all day. It seems the more time I invest in this career....im just wasting my energy and time.
I have an offer to work as the Executive Assistant to the President of a Financial Coorporation (wealth management and Investment firm) the pay is very similar but I feel in the long run I have the option to make more $$$. As a paralegal, once you reach the limit, that's it....unless you get into management.

Anyway, does anyone feel the same way I do??

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

chrissy in Sudbury, Ontario

111 months ago

ya but is it worth is to start in to becoming a paraleage and not relizing how much it pays

Reply - Report abuse

Latrice in Jacksonville, Florida

111 months ago

ChiquitaMAD in Metairie, Louisiana said: Im confused!! I've been a lit paralegal for 5 years and dont feel productive anymore..... I create binders, schedule depo's and put up with "Attitude" all day. It seems the more time I invest in this career....im just wasting my energy and time.
I have an offer to work as the Executive Assistant to the President of a Financial Coorporation (wealth management and Investment firm) the pay is very similar but I feel in the long run I have the option to make more $$$. As a paralegal, once you reach the limit, that's it....unless you get into management.

Lol. You and I must work in the same firm. I am in the place as you and found your posting by doing a search for "paralegal career change" . I trying to find a career that I can transfer my skills.

Reply - Report abuse

Latrice in Jacksonville, Florida

111 months ago

Contact your local community college's profesional development department to see what they offer. You will be amazed how taking a certificate course will provide opportunity into a great career. Many ony take a few hours to complete. I am sure you have skills from your current job that transferable.

Reply - Report abuse

Me in Burlington, Vermont

110 months ago

I know what you mean..pleadings..complaints..answers...correspondence..same things..not even 4 months and i'm BORED OUT OF MY MIND

Reply - Report abuse

Jordi Russe in Chandler, Arizona

110 months ago

Ajay in Redmond, Washington said: Hello,

I am in desprate need of ADVICE. I have been an exotic dancer for my late teens and early 20's and have no idea where to go from here. I'd like to get into acting. Does anybody have any advice?

My advice....go to school and get a degree in something. That way you will have something to fall back on when you are looking for an acting gig. Oh, and try to get something more solid than a liberal arts degree. I have two of those and my experience helps me a lot more than a liberal arts degree.

Reply - Report abuse

chiquitamad in Metairie, Louisiana

110 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Continued from above....

I hope I'm not too late, but my 2¢ opinion is you should go for the Executive Assistant job. Corporation executives are probably as hard to deal with as lawyers, but you may be better appreciated and paid better, and, who knows, you may have a real chance at advancement.

Good luck with however you choose to proceed.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT. I JUST WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND IN THE LEGAL FIELD YOUR LIMITED. IM INTERVIEWING FOR ANOTHER EXECUTIVE ASST JOB-IN MEDICAL FIELD BUT IN THE CORPORATE OFFICE. IM SO SICK OF BIILING TIME UFFFF!!

Reply - Report abuse

jenny in High Point, North Carolina

109 months ago

What are the chaces of advancement in the acting career?

Reply - Report abuse

Ruth in Houston, Texas

108 months ago

Ajay in Redmond, Washington said: Hello,

I am in desprate need of ADVICE. I have been an exotic dancer for my late teens and early 20's and have no idea where to go from here. I'd like to get into acting. Does anybody have any advice?

You should go back to school while you still can.

Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

107 months ago

ChiquitaMAD in Metairie, Louisiana said: Im confused!! I've been a lit paralegal for 5 years and dont feel productive anymore..... I create binders, schedule depo's and put up with "Attitude" all day. I have an offer to work as the Executive Assistant to the President of a Financial Coorporation (wealth management and Investment firm) the pay is very similar

yEAH, get out if you have an offer. Just make sure there is growth potential. Wealth managers usually have M.B.A. degree, unless they are Financial Planners, which does require a certification. Hopefully you have your B.A. - that will determine your growth potential.

Reply - Report abuse

gagirl in Buford, Georgia

62 months ago

I don't mind working nonstop but I think that it's great to have a career change after working for more than 5 yrs as a paralegal. I have been a paralegal for almost 10 years, have a bachelor's degree from a great university, and have contemplated law school but after working in this industry for so long, am VERY jaded about it. I think that regardless of the pay (I make really good $), sometimes certain jobs are just not worth it. Dealing with egos and long hours takes its toll on your sanity, and no matter how much you make, if you're too tired or busy to ever enjoy it, how is it worth it? Best of luck to anyone that can have a career as a paralegal. Depending upon the practice area you work in, I think that heavily determines the likelihood of your longevity working as a paralegal...

Reply - Report abuse

worn out in Fishers, Indiana

52 months ago

ChiquitaMAD in Metairie, Louisiana said: Im confused!! I've been a lit paralegal for 5 years and dont feel productive anymore..... I create binders, schedule depo's and put up with "Attitude" all day. It seems the more time I invest in this career....im just wasting my energy and time.

You have only been a paralegal for 5 years and if you have the opportunity to get into another field, I suggest you do it now before you are too old to switch and cannot afford to take less to start. I have been a paralegal in litigation firms for over 25 years now and it is discouraging in this market. Once you are in a particular area of law, at least lately, it is hard to find a firm that will be interested in hiring you and training you to learn a different area of law. Not that it is difficult to cross over and learn it, but it is an employers' market. It seems the most sought out paralegals are in intellectual property or real estate law where more money can be made, but firms are only interviewing those that have experience in that area. Even then my friends in these areas say that the stress is psychotic in terms of deadlines and expectations.

Litigation is not the area to make money in anymore and it does become tedious to prepare the same type of case over and over again.

Good luck.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.