City of Denver or State of Colo.??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 115)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Decided!

21 months ago

Yeah. I know you are all right. I am bummed too about the money. He says it really just came along at the wrong time, what with us wanting to save up money. He says we shall see in a couple of months, and so for me that's a personal challenge. I know we can save this money. We've been living lives of Reilly, spending money hand over fist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Decided!

21 months ago

Oh gosh I know - very worrisome. You know, I wonder if I'm having new job jitters and am cocentrating on the money issue. When it's already decided. I'm having a hard time getting over it. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

Just report to the job, learn the bureaucracy, learn the procedures, make nice with your supervisor and work. Do not look back. Money will take care of itself.

Decided! in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

I'm having to repeat some principles I've learned this year - you cannot control anything other than yourself, trust and fatih in the universe, what will happen will happen and no matter what - it's going to be ok. Thanks so much for all of the kind words and thoughtful advice. This morning when I wrote, I thought, boy, I sure hope some of them respond. And you did! Right away! Thanks!

21 months ago

One other thing to do. Obtain LORs from your old firm. Ask that partner for one, if you feel she was trustworthy. Ask other attorneys in the firm. Ask the firm adminisistrator and/or office manager for one. Volunteering to draft LORS for their review often gets better responses than outright asking them to draft them.

IMO LORs can be useful and powerful. They can document your tenure at your last/current firm and could help blunt unwanted reference checks for future jobs - though you just may find yourself staying with and retiring from the City!

Best of luck.

21 months ago

One other thing to do. Obtain LORs from your old firm. Ask that partner for one, if you feel she was trustworthy. Ask other attorneys in the firm. Ask the firm administrator and/or office manager for one. Volunteering to draft LORS for their review often gets better responses than outright asking them to draft them.

IMO LORs can be useful and powerful. They can document your tenure at your last/current firm and could help blunt unwanted reference checks for future jobs - though you just may find yourself staying with and retiring from the City!

Best of luck.

Decided! in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

Hmm, well, I will think about it. I've given great thought to everything you have said.

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

21 months ago

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado said: Also, about the firm name, I guess I just like the way city atty's office looks on my resume much more than no name firm. Not to mention paralegal looks better. So far I have legal secty, legal secty, promotion to paralegal, and now ___________. I don't want that blank to be legal secty. I think paralegal would look better.

The city has so many rules and regs! I think that the private firm offers me comfort in that I already know what it'll be all about. But I have no idea what the city will be about.

I can't believe you have he audacity to ask these questions, limbo.
You obviously can't make a decision well, so you're perfect for a bureaucracy. Go with the greed and buy your nice new house with your husband, k.

I wouldn't ask people who are unemployed all those questions, nor waste their time. I would come on here and let people know what I did to get the job and encourage people.

You're perfect for government - go there. Because it's all about you limbo.

Are you and your hubby childless? I hope you have all the material things to make you happy; i.e., a Rocky Mountain high, lady.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

ToBoeing:

I'm sorry you've had some hard knocks in life. It's really not fair. When I see the exorbitant amounts of money others make, and the pitance the majority makes, I think there must be something wrong with this society. Besides money, I've had friends my age die, and they were the good ones. The good people. Meanwhile, the evil ones keep on kicking.

Anyway, to answer your question, we do not have kids. It was a personal choice made, and one I felt was for the better of the child to be. We really didn't have the means or desire to raise children, and I think it'd be terribly wrong to have children I didn't want. I'd rather leave that to people who truly desire children. I really enjoy my life just the way it is.

I'm sorry you think it is greedy to take a job for better pay, versus one that pays quite a bit less. For me, it's a way of paying off my student loans, the ones I received when working my tail off in order to get a degree, in order to live a better life.

The house we'd like to buy, yeah, it's nicer. Things are just things, but while I live in this world, I'd like to buy a nicer house. I don't feel I owe an apology for wanting to buy a nicer house.

When I first posted, I wasn't necessarily posing my questions to the unemployed, however, one titled unemployed on this forum was nice enough to respond. I thought I was posting on a paralegal forum, not an unemployed forum. If it was an unemployed forum, yeah, that'd be kind of tacky of me.

I'm sure at first glance, my post looks like it's all about me. However, since this is the web, I find it hard to summarize my entire situation in one forum post. I did not mention how my husband hurt himself while at work, and is on worker's comp. He had a major surgery, and is slowly recovering, but is having setbacks. That worries us very much, as him losing his job and me taking a job with lesser pay would not be a good situation. We'd have a hard time paying our bills.

21 months ago

[cont.]

We don't really have family to lean on, it's just the two of us. So claiming bankruptcy would be a very last resort, and simply not paying our bills is just not an option.

In any case, I thought I'd give you some background.

I am really not sure at all I will fit into government. I am just a worker bee like most of us here. I am really concerned about this job, as they have played some games already - in fact outright lied to me about my salary.

I know it's completely against everyone's advice on here, but I need to do what I feel is right. Tomorrow I am going to call back the private firm, and try to secure the original job I already had.

I feel horrible about the entire situation. I feel that I put me and my husband in a really bad position, and I've been worried sick about it all weekend.

I will post tomorrow and let you all know where I am. Thanks.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

21 months ago

Limbo,

Nicely said, you took the high road in your reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Joe,

Thanks for writing. About a year ago, I would've attacked. Hit below the belt. I guess I've changed. I understand I'm privileged, and that I am actually in a good position, regardless of my feelings about this job.

I wanted to also say, I believe I let the title go to my head/ego. Instead of looking at the hard numbers. Friday night I sat down and did a real number budget. It does not look good at all. I had this horrible sinking feeling. I told my husband and he's a bit angry. I don't blame him. He thought I had already taken a close look at our money - and I didn't. I took a glance. Stupid if you think about it.

This has all been one giant learning curve for me. I'm really glad to be able to speak to people on here.

21 months ago

You did respond well to "Boeing's" post. I'm sorry to learn about your husband's situation. As a former WC paralegal, I understand them well. I also wish I had understood your fact pattern more fully before pushing you so hard to work for the City. I definitely do not like how you were lied to about pay.

As much as the notion of anyone working for lawyers without protection from their whims galls me, to be pragmatic about your situation I have to renege on pushing you to work for the City. Call that firm. See if it will still hire you. You need the money. You said it offers healthcare, which should be of utmost concern to you. Take it from someone who knows.

Hopefully your husband's WC case will settle soon and he can return to work as well. Yes, there is something terribly wrong with society regarding pay, and many other things.

21 months ago

@"Boeing":

I should have said it before. You are out of line.

21 months ago

Unemployed: Well, to be fair, you gave your honest opinion based upon what I told you.

Until now, I thought my husband was recovering well and would be back to work soon. Husband's aren't the best communicators though, and he didn't truly share his feelings until after I made my decision!

But it's not his fault either.

It's all mine. I didn't give it enough thought. I let my ego get in the way. And I did feel rushed. I should have said, no, I need more time.

I'm am now extraordinarily worried about not getting the job back. They could have already given it to their #2 choice. I might be out of luck. So tomorrow I have to get ready for work, and see if I can secure the other job. The hiring person is in Miami, it's a natl. firm and I've been dealing with their recruiter. So I'm going to have that jumpstart at least - timewise. I'm hoping against all hope that I can get the job back, then renige on the city.

21 months ago

And again, I really can't express how thankful I am to you Unemployed, and Joe, and others here who have taken the time to read my post and give heartfelt responses.

21 months ago

Certainly.

Hopefully your hubby retained competent WC counsel. Navigating the world of GALs, FALs, TTDs, TPDs, AWW and DIMEs, and aggressive but extremely competent OC (at least in one 17th Street firm my attorney regularly dealt with) requires a good lawyer.

I may know of that private firm. I am not prying in any way, but if it is who I believe it is, I may know an attorney there. I gather it's a helluva firm.

21 months ago

Well, my husband's employer is pretty good. They really take care of them when facing stuff like this. They've allowed him to telecommute, and are sticking to the rules. So we haven't hired counsel. I did initially talk to some friends about it. The ins company initially played games, but after they realized who I worked for I think they decided to play ball. So far all has been well. If I sense the slightest bit of foolery, I will hire someone asap.

It's just an uncomfortable situtation and nerve-wracking as he's had some set backs. He's worried about his health, and so am I.

I bet I know which lawyer you are talking about. Too bad we cannot PM here as I can't name any names. The private firm is based in Orlando actually, but they are natl. and have a good name in the financial lit biz.

21 months ago

When you said Miami I immediately thought of a particular firm with an office here, not figuring the firm could be in one place and the recruiter in another. So it wouldn't be the firm at which I know an attorney.

Hopefully you can still get the job. I hope you know all the aspects of FALS, objecting to same and applying for DIMEs, if and when the time comes.

21 months ago

Actually, I do not know FALS or DIMEs. But I do now when I smell "being screwed over". And I do know how to access resources that do know how to deal with that crap.

Oh!! I bet I know what firm you are thinking of. No, it's not that one. No one really knows this name here. Which might be a good thing! The office here is small.

I will write tomorrow night and let you all know how this all turns out. If private firm says no, I am already decided on finding another job quick, one that pays comparable.

21 months ago

I would reiterate my suggestion, above, that you obtain the LORs. They will memorialize your tenure with your current firm. You never if you'll need 'em, even in good times.

21 months ago

Alright, but first things first, I gotta figure out the current situation -- will post an update tomorrow night. Thanks all.

21 months ago

Well, the private law firm job is out. They had already given the job away.

In a way I felt relief, relief that the decision was made and I can now move on. My first day was tiring as can be expected. The job was NOT at all what I expected and I am now sure I made a mistake. But I must go on. Another private firm popped up and might be a possibility. They are very reputable and a top firm, probably will pay high. I feel I'm at a crossroads - either I trudge on with this job and stay for some time, or I get out now.

21 months ago

When you say "first day," you mean first day with the City, correct?

Considering your hubby's situation, do what pays the best. Again, I wished I had known his situation in the first place; I might have offered suggestions other than what I offered.

Decided! in Louisville, Colorado

21 months ago

Yep. City. It's ok, it's not your job to tell me what to do! And you didn't know about my hubby's situation. Honestly, he works for a good company and we are doing ok. I just didn't give it enough thought or look at our finances enough. The job I have now is just ok. People are nice. But pay is not great and I'm pretty resentful after being lied to. I'm still glad to have a job, but am depressed over the job I could've had.

21 months ago

You have every right to feel resentful about being lied to about pay.

Nothing is stopping you from continuing to look. Being currently employed definitely gives you an advantage. I sure found that out when I wanted to change firms.

Again, best of luck with your efforts and best wishes to your hubby.

Decided! in Louisville, Colorado

21 months ago

Yep. City. It's ok, it's not your job to tell me what to do! And you didn't know about my hubby's situation. Honestly, he works for a good company and we are doing ok. I just didn't give it enough thought or look at our finances enough. The job I have now is just ok. People are nice. But pay is not great and I'm pretty resentful after being lied to. I'm still glad to have a job, but am depressed over the job I could've had.

Decided!

21 months ago

Oops double post. Sorry!

Decided!

21 months ago

Thank you Unemployed. I'm nervous that if I don't find work now, then it will look funny that I've worked for a place for only a month or so. But yeah, I'm looking. There is a private firm I already interviewed at, and they want me to meet the attys.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

21 months ago

I'm curious to know while you work for the CITY how EXACTLY is it different than the private firm you just left? (stress, coworkers, the workload, etc)

(I have never worked in government.)

Decided! in South Jordan, Utah

21 months ago

I'll give you a blow by blow later.

21 months ago

Hi everyone,

First week is done and over with. Starting a new job is hard!

First, the positives. The team seems really friendly. Laid back and not all revved up. I love my shift, 730-430 and love the location.

The negatives. Apparently, head guy is in the business of lying to people about salaries as it's happened to others in the group. They are all mistrusting of this person and management overall. People are leaving in the droves. There really is nowhere to go here, because I'm in the only legal dept in the city. So that takes away from the mobility factor.

Finding things like binders, binder clips, a pair of scissors, are pretty much impossible. I asked for page flags and was told it wasn't in the budget. I walk to the other side of the office to reach the printer. Another paralegal told me that when he used the preprinted index tabs for a binder draft, he was told to not do that, that they were only for trial, and that he needed to hand-write tabs. We are talking 10 binders people.

I needed a 3 hole punch and was told I could only use one of two located on the floor, other than that it wasn't in the budget. I had to hole punch a box of paper and carry it to my desk.

I brought my lunch and then realized I didn't have a fork. I was screwed. Absolutely nothing is provided for lunch of any sort. I finally begged off a fork from a close by convenience store. No coffee, no drinks, no water. Nothing. Completely bare bones.

People seem to disappear for hours at a time. Typical govt. workers I suppose. Breaks abound, long breaks. I'm in a cubical hell, only the one higher up paralegal gets an office.

The job itself? Well, it seems they use paralegals as paper pushers. Not much more.

I could do this job, if I had to. I'm still really upset about the salary issue, and now the fact that there is no upward mobility whatsoever.

21 months ago

I interview with the other private firm tomorrow - I've gotten thru the gatekeeper and will be meeting with the attorneys.

At this point, I'm hopeful to get it.

I think I just had this idealized vision of working for the city, and now realize it was totally unrealistic. Stability aside, it's the only real pro to this job.

Another para who's been there 6 months, which is when you get your job security, is totally fed up and looking to leave.

I forgot to mention, I met one of 2 attys I'll be working with. He's nice, and very laid back. From the office rumors, the other atty I'll be supporting is a complete "demanding" witch. We shall see.

I'm hoping against all hope I get the private job. I'm ready to take my chances there and get a salary I deserve. Likely they'll offer good benefits and time off. The city's time off isn't all that special, in fact the job I blew off offered more time off.

I'll write back with an update soon. Thanks everyone for the support. This has been really hard for me.

21 months ago

oh yeah, comparison.

Govt. means always worrying about the budget. Penny pinching constantly, which means it is often to get your job done as you are scrounging for the tools. Instead of the attys being your boss, you have a supervisor, who is not an atty, to whom you report.

At private firms, they are worried about the bottom dollar. That is, bringing more of it in. So they will spend money on tools to get your job done, so that you produce quality work, therefore getting more money. Your attys are your boss, and they can fire you if they want.

Now, here's the diff. If you are a secretary, you have HR. If you are a para, you often have no HR, just the attys. Just my experience.

21 months ago

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado said: Now, here's the diff. If you are a secretary, you have HR. If you are a para[legal], you often have no HR, just the attys. Just my experience.
Mine, too. No firewall, especially if one is paralegal to a name on the door.

My first firm had an excellent office manager when I started. This extremely capable person with terrific people skills was our firewall against the shareholder. The office manager resigned a year later and wasn't replaced. We then had more direct dealings with the shareholder. It wasn't that she was mean or nasty (most of the time); she was simply difficult. She was capricious. Her hair was always on fire. She was away from the office much of the time, either for marketing or because of illness. She was demanding, She overdelegated, particularly to the paralegals.

I was a paralegal to a partner in my next firm. It was litigation and WC, and everything litigation and trial lawyers imply. This individual was anal, moody, unreasonably demanding, often temperamental and frequently disrespectful. No firewall. All my HR dealings, if you wish to call them as such, were directly with this partner. It truly sucked.

Thanks for your post about working for the City. Very interesting. Good luck with your interview with the private firm.

21 months ago

Strange how the job can differ so much depending on the firm/situation. The job with the private firm is for legal secretary, which I'm actually looking forward to. The office manager is really nice, I connected with her quite a bit personality-wise.

I will have her as my buffer - I assume and hope.

My last job as paralegal was great, or so I thought. I angered one person and then my direct boss decided I was too much trouble. So instead of talking to me, she chose to use another atty in my group to do her dirty work. I was told that I was going to be fired and I needed to find work. The situation was awful. I had no one to confide in, and no HR buffer. I thought I would at least get an exit interview when I gave notice, but they didn't even bother with that. The whole experience really messed with me, and made me question who I am and what I'm doing with my career.

After that experience, I was really gunshy and unsure of myself. Add to that my husband's situation, and I was a nervous wreck who didn't really trust my own gut. I thought I knew what working for the city would be like, but you honestly can't explain it to someone - they just have to experience it like I have.

I think what this comes down to is my salary. I'd be able to easily ignore all the govt. b.s. if I was being paid a competitive salary. But I'm not. I'm being paid well below any competitive salary. So not getting paid and having to buy my own office supplies really sucks.

I also realized something else. I'm 40. I have 25+ years of working left. If I was 50, I might just take a salary and stay at the city until I retire. But I cannot even imagine staying in this section for another 25+ yrs. I haven't made the money I can make, I haven't reached the goals I have set.

At this point, I think I'd rather suffer the private sector for another 10 or so years, and then settle in govt. until I retire.

21 months ago

I learned a big lesson here. I should have stuck to my guns with my salary at the city. Because then all that's bugging me wouldn't be a big deal at all.

I hope to get back in the govt when I'm older. And then I'll be sure to not settle for a much lesser salary (if I can) and then I'll be ok with just sitting there until I retire.

At this point, I can go work for a private firm and make my money, build up my savings even more. I can invest in my retirement and get the house we are questing for.

I can also go back to graduate school, get my degree, and then possibly enter govt in the executive arena or elsewhere.

19 months ago

Update: I've come full circle. The job with the city has turned out to be really good. They have a different attitude here, because the all mighty dollar doesn't really reign anymore. Now it's all about the budget and how much money you are spending (or not). No more billable hours and no overtime have greatly reduced my stress. Leaving the female clique behind has helped me feel better too.

I have had some remnants of my old job haunt me. I contacted one atty I worked closely with, she was a brand new associate and young. She hasn't bothered to respond to my emails. This bothers me greatly. I know, I know, fake attys and all. But she acted like a real person. I can't help but feel hurt.

Then, my secretary defriended me on FB. I find that one weird. But funny, because I was going to do it myself.

Anyway, I'm making less money for sure - but funny, I'm happier. I get lots of holidays and days off. I have a time clock, but I leave on the dot as overtime is prohibited.

I know I was right in this type of thinking: That if I went to another firm it'd be just that - another firm. Complete with billable hours, screaming attorneys, quiet attorneys who play mind games, and working around the clock.

So I could go to another firm and make money, but be in absolute hell, or work for the city and make less money, but be happy.

19 months ago

I thought about you the other day. I wondered what had happened to you. What a difference a month of onboarding can make.

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado said: The job with the city has turned out to be really good. They have a different attitude here, because the all mighty dollar doesn't really reign anymore. Now it's all about the budget and how much money you are spending (or not). No more billable hours and no overtime have greatly reduced my stress. Leaving the female clique behind has helped me feel better too.
Or male backstabbing clique, as the case may be.

Having regular hours makes all the difference in the world. I cannot recall having truly regular hours in all the years I worked. I didn't have to bill in my last job, thank G-d. But I had all the (UNPAID) overtime I could stand. If I could have billed I would have set records.

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado said: I have had some remnants of my old job haunt me. I contacted one atty I worked closely with, she was a brand new associate and young. She hasn't bothered to respond to my emails. This bothers me greatly. I know, I know, fake attys and all. But she acted like a real person. I can't help but feel hurt.
That is soooo typical of attorneys, with few exceptions. As long as you are there, they are fine. The moment you are gone you are forgotten. Something I've never really understood about attorneys and work friendships, generally.

I'm really happy for you. Sounds like you're doing well. Hope hubby is, also, and his WC case is concluding well.

19 months ago

The attorney friend I mentioned --- she stopped by my office before I left and gave me tight hugs and even got teary eyed. How freaking fake? And forgotten, ok, I get that. But ignorning emails?? I'm just really surprised. Her of all people. I am dying to write her and ask, ok, what the heck did I do to you? Why do you think it's ok to treat someone like that? I REALLY want to know!!!

My husband is doing much better, but still has some pain. We talked about hiring an attorney - because what happens if his issue comes back, what then? But neither of us really know if it's worth it. The time it would take...

19 months ago

I did it. I wrote her. I kept it very, very short and non-aggressive. We shall see.

19 months ago

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado said: The attorney friend I mentioned --- she stopped by my office before I left and gave me tight hugs and even got teary eyed. How freaking fake?
Yes. May I throw up now?
Limbo! in Denver, Colorado said: We talked about hiring an attorney - because what happens if his issue comes back, what then? But neither of us really know if it's worth it. The time it would take...
You probably know of WC attorneys. If not, I can give a name. It won't be a name you see on afternoon TV, nor under any circumstances would it be my ex-boss.

19 months ago

Yes please, I need a name. I have one already, who's really bull-doggish and not on afternoon tv either (which is better actually). She's well known around town and been doing it 20 yrs. Initials are B.F.

ok, ok, I get it. It was all fake. I guess I'm the tool for believing it.

19 months ago

I don't know that one. E-mail me at dtc5445@yahoo.com and I'll give you a name.

19 months ago

I'm not familiar at all with WC. I worked in probate litigation, and before that, insurance defense. I have a good knowledge of litigation in general, but WC is a foreign world to me.

19 months ago

Sent you a note.

19 months ago

Probate litigation! I did that for over four years. Some contentious conservatorships-guardianships are more contentious than ordinary PI auto cases. The Denver Probate Court under the previous judge who shall remain nameless was especially tough in that regard.

19 months ago

Probate litigation! I did that for over four years. Some contested conservatorships-guardianships are more contentious than ordinary PI auto cases. The Denver Probate Court under the previous judge who shall remain nameless was especially tough in that regard.

19 months ago

It gets better - breach of fiduciary duty, fiduciary fraud, contested wills - it was a ton of fun.

Defending the City is fantastic work too. Just as exciting, if not more so, than probate lit.

19 months ago

Will contests.....we had a couple. I may have worked on one case a little bit. I always thought will contests were interesting.

Again, one wouldn't think so, but car v. car PI litigation is comparatively calm and orderly compared to many probate litigation matters. The most surprising thing to me when I first started in PI was counsels' civility. That civility may have been because they deal with each other all the time and know each other well. Also because C.R.C.P. is mandatory. When I was in probate, C.R.C.P. was optional.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.