Class Project Help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

rebeccavaz in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

I am doing a class project for my first paralegal class about court cases against paralegals or legal assistants involving unethical or illegal work. Does anyone know of any (locally to them or nationally, whatever) or any sites where I might be able to find some? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

Try googling "lawyers charged with unethical practices for work done by paralegals."

Learn to be more resourceful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

mary in Tampa, Florida said: Try googling "lawyers charged with unethical practices for work done by paralegals."

Learn to be more resourceful.

I have Googled my little heart out on many different ways of stating the same question (including almost to the word the one that you posted above). I just thought I'd use Indeed as an outlet to try to tap into more resources. Thanks so much for trying to be helpful by stating the obvious ("Try to be more resourceful." - Oh come on!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amm in Clearwater, Florida

43 months ago

I would do a google search for "paralegals" and "unauthorized practice of law" that might garner more hits. Best of luck in your class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jane Do Girl in Pensacola, Florida

43 months ago

These are Florida specific, but very relevant cases... check out the information found here under the link for Unlicensed Practice of Law:
www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/PI/BIPS2001.nsf/BIP+List?OpenForm

You may also try researching the name Scott Foster. It's my understanding the Florida Bar sued him for Unlicensed Practice of Law. He's still alive and well here in the Florida panhandle, so you may even find an e-mail address and contact him directly.

Lastly, I highly recommend subscribing to the free Paralegal Today List serve at: www.legalassistanttoday.com/lat-forum/default.htm You will find a number of paralegals from all over the country, in every kind of legal practice setting imaginable, who are ready and willing to give advice to students, newbies, and seasoned colleagues alike.

Best of luck in your studies!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Jane Do Girl in Florida: THANK YOU SO MUCH! This link is definitely more than I had hoped to find simply using the computer! Super big help and I appreciate it so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jslinfla in Delray Beach, Florida

43 months ago

rebeccavaz in Lancaster, Pennsylvania said: I am doing a class project for my first paralegal class about court cases against paralegals or legal assistants involving unethical or illegal work. Does anyone know of any (locally to them or nationally, whatever) or any sites where I might be able to find some? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Do you have access to Westlaw? If so, do a natural language search.
Also, in your paralegal class, are you using "Introduction to Paralegalism" by Statsky?

There are cases in that textbook regarding unauthorized practice of law.

Try also findlaw.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Do you have access to Westlaw? If so, do a natural language search.

Also, if you are using the textbook "Introduction To Paralegalism" by Statsky,
there are cases in that book involving Unauthorized Practice of Law.

Hope this Helps!

43 months ago

jslinfla in Delray Beach, Florida said: Do you have access to Westlaw? If so, do a natural language search.

Also, if you are using the textbook "Introduction To Paralegalism" by Statsky,
there are cases in that book involving Unauthorized Practice of Law.

Hope this Helps!

I am using findlaw.com and did find some info. I don't want to use any of the cases in my test (which is Intro to the Practice of Law) just because I think that doesn't show much iniative or creativity and lack of resource. Also, I don't get Westlaw access until my third class. However, I do work at a law firm part-time and they, ofcourse, do, but I'm too shy to ask for their help. Checking out their law library this afternoon to see what they've got.

mary in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

I wasn't being mean. But you want to be a paralegal. You came here and asked us for help.

Most of being a paralegal is learning to be resourceful, being able to get the job done, going that extra mile. This assignment is supposed to be a learning experience for you - not just an assignment, you get it done, and that's it.

You would have gotten so much more out of this assignment if you had done is completely 100 percent yourself. Sorry. But you took 50 percent of the challenge - and glory - out of this assignment simply by asking for some type of help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

You would have gotten so much more out of this assignment if you had done is completely 100 percent yourself. Sorry. But you took 50 percent of the challenge - and glory - out of this assignment simply by asking for some type of help.

I agree somewhat with you Mary. However, I do have an exception to the rule.

I had a major capstone project to complete and did the work myself. I ran into a snag when I had to do a "Client Interview Checklist." I looked for examples in my textbooks but there were none.

I simply asked my professor (a full-fledged lawyer) to point me in the right direction. She was kind enough to send me some material with examples and the rest as they say, was history. Other parts of the work was sent as a rough draft to ensure I was doing it right. I was being extra careful since it counted for 1/3 of the overall grade in the program. The other writing assignments I did without help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rebeccavaz

43 months ago

Thank you all for you comments and help. Just an FYI, this is my capstone for this course and I had asked my professor alsoto point me in the right direction and she suggested I check with our paralegals out in cyberspace. Luckily, I had already found casesto my liking on my own but was looking for more specifics. And a big sarcastic thank you to those who claim that I ruined the work by asking for help. Shame on you people who didn't want to give moreencouraging advice to a fellow wannabe paralegal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I do not think we were trained to look in practice manuals or formbooks.
I even Googled "Client Interview Checklist" and made no progress.

Basically, I am saying that I used other resources before I went to my instructor for help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

Rebecca, this was a fairly simple assignment. I typed in "paralegal charged with unethical" - and I got a load of stuff.

Your professor should have given you better direction in finding information. Perhaps her thought was you would dig deep for information. Whatever. I thought you would have got much more out of it if you did it 100 percent yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Practice manuals and formbooks are major lifesavers!

Formbooks are great because, among other thing, they give you an idea of the finished product. They provide an idea of the "magic language" you otherwise are struggling to draft. They often provide helpful practice pointers.-DLP

You are right. But, I did not have immediate access to the practice manuals and formbooks. When I asked my professor to point me in the right direction, she sent me a "Practice Aid Guide" and a Formbook. She instructed me to go to the specific respective pages for the Formbook and the Practice Manual. When I did, I understood how to do that part of the assignment and successfully completed it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

yolie in Dallas, Texas

36 months ago

help
question?
who has the power to write the civil rules of procedures of texas ruling?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.