Fed up paralegal in Florida

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 52)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Fed up in Pompano Beach, Florida

58 months ago

Hello everyone, I've been checking out these forums for a while but this is the first time I'm posting. I'm just so frustrated and need a place to vent. I've been a trial paralegal for 13 years, and have a four year degree and paralegal certificate. I live in Port Saint Lucie Florida (moved here 5 years ago - and boy was that the biggest mistake I've EVER made). I was recently laid off from my job in Palm Beach County (hated the long commute anyway), and have been looking for work since January. I know the economy is really bad, but come on- the attorneys I'm interviewing with want to pay $30,000 or less and no benefits! WTF? I mean seriously - I cannot believe what is going on over here, this is ridiculous! Talk about taking advantage of people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

58 months ago

It gets worse. Here in Tampa they are trying to hire for $12.00 an hour (some, not all).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, DE in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

Fed up in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hello everyone, I've been checking out these forums for a while but this is the first time I'm posting. I'm just so frustrated and need a place to vent. I've been a trial paralegal for 13 years, and have a four year degree and paralegal certificate. I live in Port Saint Lucie Florida (moved here 5 years ago - and boy was that the biggest mistake I've EVER made). I was recently laid off from my job in Palm Beach County (hated the long commute anyway), and have been looking for work since January. I know the economy is really bad, but come on- the attorneys I'm interviewing with want to pay $30,000 or less and no benefits! WTF? I mean seriously - I cannot believe what is going on over here, this is ridiculous! Talk about taking advantage of people.

that IS what IS going on in the economy Today....So take a job at low pay or have no job..that is the deal.

Get the ***Daily Business Review***legal newspaper, jobs in back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: It gets worse. Here in Tampa they are trying to hire for $12.00 an hour (some, not all).

Apply and get a job....or keep temping sproradically on temp-teach gigs, or get the curt reporter job...or take the $12/hour legal job and get roomate..

People- the economy IS what it IS---adjust, get a job that pay lower, get employed...or face losing everything. Survial of the fittest...get going ...you can do it..

Or, get p/t job as "mortgage collector", p/t job working for "phone answering service" (that handles docotor call when no in office), clean offices at night, work in grocery store, happy harry's at cash register...p/t job as "courier: for LabCorp..find job in Bank's REO Department... that is it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, DE in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania said: Apply and get a job....or keep temping sproradically on temp-teach gigs, or get the curt reporter job...or take the $12/hour legal job and get roomate..

People- the economy IS what it IS---adjust, get a job that pay lower, get employed...or face losing everything. Survial of the fittest...get going ...you can do it..

Or, get p/t job as "mortgage collector", p/t job working for "phone answering service" (that handles docotor call when no in office), clean offices at night, work in grocery store, happy harry's at cash register...p/t job as "courier: for LabCorp..find job in Bank's REO Department... that is it...

Opps - COURT reporter job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Donald_ in New Jersey

58 months ago

$12 an hour is definiterly low. My father is a secuirty guard in NYC with just a HS diploma and he makes $15 an hour. in fact, inside his building is an office for White & Case and they are laying off lawyers by the bus load.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, DE in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania said: Hence the reason lawyers can not offer $12/hour for legal staff positons.

correction: reason they "can" offer $12/hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

koolandy in Pewaukee, Wisconsin

56 months ago

This is for FED UP in Pompano Beach........I know that feeling, there is a price to be paid for the sun in Florida that's the reason I packed up and left with my kid two years ago. We have never looked back. Was hired by a Chicago fim at $54K in the middle of a deep recession. have had two pay raises since and am happy to report that I am tipping at double my salary in South Florida. BTW my three bedroom apartment in an affluent suburb at 18oo sq ft is $1565.00

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, DE in Wilmington, Delaware

55 months ago

koolandy in Pewaukee, Wisconsin said: This is for FED UP in Pompano Beach........I know that feeling, there is a price to be paid for the sun in Florida that's the reason I packed up and left with my kid two years ago. We have never looked back. Was hired by a Chicago fim at $54K in the middle of a deep recession. have had two pay raises since and am happy to report that I am tipping at double my salary in South Florida. BTW my three bedroom apartment in an affluent suburb at 18oo sq ft is $1565.00

I do not really think it is "the price one pays for living in the sun". All was well in S. Florida, until the economy crashed in what 2007. FIrst real estate, then jobs. And S. Florida got hit bad. ONe gal had successfully been a working para in West Palm Beach. Then the economic crisis hit, she had to go to NYC for work..yeah.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cuban Goddess Chic in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Fed up in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hello everyone, I've been checking out these forums for a while but this is the first time I'm posting. I'm just so frustrated and need a place to vent. I've been a trial paralegal for 13 years, and have a four year degree and paralegal certificate. I live in Port Saint Lucie Florida (moved here 5 years ago - and boy was that the biggest mistake I've EVER made). I was recently laid off from my job in Palm Beach County (hated the long commute anyway), and have been looking for work since January. I know the economy is really bad, but come on- the attorneys I'm interviewing with want to pay $30,000 or less and no benefits! WTF? I mean seriously - I cannot believe what is going on over here, this is ridiculous! Talk about taking advantage of people.

Here in Denver, they want to pay $10/hr. Es un tremendo ripeo!!!
But it's worse had I gone to law school, newbie lawyers get paid that much. lol
And a newbie lawyer has as much as $100k in debt after getting out of law school.
At least a paralegal learns the practice of law at a $5k cost and we learn the law.

onthegochica in Brunswick, Ohio

55 months ago

We are planning a move to Fla in the near future. My second career will be as a paralegal with an Associates degree in Paralegal Studies,a BA in URban Studies and hopefully a law degree when its all said and done. I didn't realize that the paralegal job market sucked so much everywhere, not just in Fla. I'm tired of the cold or Chicago or NYC may be an option for us. Gonna still move to Fla and get a job doing whatever I can making whatever I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Plano, Texas

55 months ago

I keep hearing there are no jobs whatsoever in Florida.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

onthegochica in Brunswick, Ohio

55 months ago

I see from looking at the jobs on monster or careerbuilders there are slim pickins for paralegal jobs in Jacksonville, which is close to where we hope to be. I know the economy there is in the toilet. One job listing I thought was a hoot was looking for an law school graduate from a prestigious for a paralegals postion, is that what firms are now looking for? Being an attorney has pretty much been a dream since i was kid. Hopefully when I begin my practice I won't be on eof the butt-heads you all keep talking about!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

franS in Kissimmee, Florida

55 months ago

onthegochica in Brunswick, Ohio said: We are planning a move to Fla in the near future. My second career will be as a paralegal with an Associates degree in Paralegal Studies,a BA in URban Studies and hopefully a law degree when its all said and done. I didn't realize that the paralegal job market sucked so much everywhere, not just in Fla. I'm tired of the cold or Chicago or NYC may be an option for us. Gonna still move to Fla and get a job doing whatever I can making whatever I can.

Friend, be very careful regarding this move you want to make. Florida is beautiful and relatively inexpensive to live ( compared to my previous home in Boston) but there are some drawbacks employment wise depending on where you move to in Florida. As a non-bilingual I have found that in central Florida it really is best to be bilingual. Most law firms won't even discuss an interview or give regard to your resume unless you know Spanish specifically.

An experienced paralegal, in my opinion, would do very well in the Boston area. I saw more ads then I can count on Craig's List alone where firms/ corps were paying anywhere from 40k-75k. ( 75k for the IP paralegals of course)

Good luck!

JTG in San Diego, California

54 months ago

I am a San Diego paralegal for 15 years and they are laying me off at the end of february 2010 - but they want me to work hourly. I ahve a wife and a daughter - there is no way I can work hourly. I am looking - there are a few good jobs every once in a while but there are a lot for $10 or $12 an hour in San Diego? It is very expensive here. I would like to transition out of the paralegal profeesion - any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I am a San Diego paralegal for 15 years and they are laying me off at the end of February 2010 - but they want me to work hourly. I have a wife and a daughter - there is no way I can work hourly. I am looking - there are a few good jobs every once in a while but there are a lot for $10 or $12 an hour in San Diego? It is very expensive here. I would like to transition out of the paralegal profession - any ideas?

I have a friend who is a plumber - he works about 8 months out of the year and makes $75K - which is, of course, a lot more than me.

54 months ago

Thank you. One of the reasons why my buddy makes that kind of money - he does all the work himself - I have already asked him. Since I have a bachelors degree I was going to go back to school to become a middle school math teacher - I love math - but in California, teachers are not appreciated either.

My step-son works as a restaurant manager at Taco Bell - he makes $42K/yr - about $7K less then me. I have been a paralegal for 15 years and he has been a restaurant manager for 2 years; plus he can advance to district manager - I have nothing to advance to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

54 months ago

Oh, bless your heart, JTG. I can relate. Getting out of paralegal work is hard. I know of a couple of ladies who became legal recruiters, but that's also long hours and stressful as you work to meet crazy sales goals.

I know another former paralegal who got a job at a place that creates structured settlements. Regular hours, low stress. Nice gig.

There's another former paralegal I know, she hated being a paralegal because there was no way she could be the boss or move up. She went into the collections business.

I have looked into getting out of the legal field. It'll mean less money, starting over at the bottom somewhere. We have no shortage of teachers here, so that's not an option. I have looked into signing up with temp agencies but all of their jobs seem to require heavy Excel and Powerpoint - neither of which I used in the legal field - so I gained no skills. (Of course, I could learn it on the job but can you convince others of that?)

Even just changing areas of law or switching over to legal secretary is impossible. As we know you can get into this little narrow niche as a paralegal and emerge with no transferable skills.

It's frustrating, no doubt. Fast food manager sounds great except around here you need Spanish. Maybe Barnes and Nobles need managers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

para1 in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

54 months ago

I have to say I disagree with not having transferable skills. I've been a paralegal for over 13 years, and I've worked in many areas of law including, trusts and estates, intellectual property, corporate litigation, bankruptcy, and now personal injury. You can do a lot with a legal background. You should look into doing bankruptcies, or maybe working at a bank. I know the bankruptcy field is exploding right now. You should check out the virtual bankruptcy paralegal websites - theres a lot of good info. on how to start your own business as a virtual bankruptcy assistant. You could even venture into doing freelance/virtual paralegal work.

HT in Vancouver, British Columbia

54 months ago

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............another terrible day at the law firm. And it's only Monday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JTG in El Cajon, California

54 months ago

Of course, you can transfer from general civil lit to construction defect to bankruptcy pretty easily - that is not a big deal. I want to transition out of the paralegal business (period).

I love the scene in Seinfield with Kramer and the little person where the little person says "... I can handle 4 ft 2 but any taller and it is back to that paralegal crap." LOL

I was offered a job as a Human Resource Assistant but it paid $12 an hour and I make $27 an hour - I have a wife and daughter no way I can transition out and take a $15 an hour pay cut. I may have to go back to school and start over but I most definitely want out.

54 months ago

Are any of y'all looking for a paralegal position now in this environment? I have a strong resume and there are very few paralegal positions available and the ones that are available are very narrow requiring a very specific skill set. I can't even transfer from product liability litigation paralegal to commercial litigation or even to Litigation Legal Secretary. My regular recruiter says No Way, not possible anymore.

Getting out of paralegal work for the same or higher pay - virtually impossible.

dh in Northern CA, California

54 months ago

Last night, I spoke to a former coworker from the last full time job I had in OC. We hadn't chatted in 2 years. My former firm was a very busy real estate transaction firm - comercial sales and leases and also sale/purch of huge tracts of land out in the desert. It seemed as though we got a new client every week!

I was shocked to learn that all the staff are furloughed. They started out working 4 full days a week last June, but in Dec started working 5 days at 6 hours a day. They let an atty go in Dec., and a large firm in the area laid off 29 attys and 40 staff just last week!! I'm hoping that large layoffs like that are tapering off!

DLP, I'm sure this doesn't shock you. It does me. I'm so busy - looking for a job is an entire job itself and my hours at work have increased from 20-32. I don't have cable TV (so no news) and I don't read the paper. What I know about the economy is what I learn from talking with people and networking. And they all tell me, "Yeah, it's bad."

She did tell me, however, that she did get a $500 Xmas bonus. Not bad. Granted, mine was 2500 both years I was there during the good economy, but my firm previous to that gave out bonuses of $400 during that same time period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

54 months ago

JTG in El Cajon, California said: Of course, you can transfer from general civil lit to construction defect to bankruptcy pretty easily - that is not a big deal. I want to transition out of the paralegal business (period).

Not to argue with JTG, but I found it very hard to transfer from litigation to bankruptcy or any other legal field except litigation.

I do not see what the "transferable skills" are from litigation to bankruptcy.
Does anyone???

If you go to a different field of law, there is a huge learning curve! ! !. Yes, DLP did transfer skills in legal. Great job DLP. How long was your learning curve?

I mean, you are working with completely new documents and one cannot simply be given a pile of work and be expected to KNOW what to do with it. You don't.

They have to give you a chance is correct. BUT how many will give you the chance???? slim to none.

54 months ago

Ruden literally "let go" of its St. Pete office. The St. Pete office got picked up by another law firm.

54 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: It took a good six months before I understood the litigation cycle and longer before I found ways to stay on top of it. I needed a CLE to really understand what I was doing in WC. That CLE was beyond valuable. It pulled WC together for me.

It's hard to pull together the moving parts when one acquires them on the fly OTJ in nonsequential, disjointed bits and pieces.

We did have a couple of cases in my PI/WC shop in which we had to deal with bankruptcy. We had to file pleadings or something with the BK court. I learned just enough to do the work. I don't remember a thing about BK. Fortunately, an associate knew BK and was very helpful.

Thank you. Yes, I get the 6 month learning curve. That was same for me when I started in my first paralegal job.

Who paid for the CLE course? just curious.

54 months ago

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas said: Are any of y'all looking for a paralegal position now in this environment? I have a strong resume and there are very few paralegal positions available and the ones that are available are very narrow requiring a very specific skill set. I can't even transfer from product liability litigation paralegal to commercial litigation or even to Litigation Legal Secretary. My regular recruiter says No Way, not possible anymore.

Getting out of paralegal work for the same or higher pay - virtually impossible.

Just curious. When you made your decision to "resign" from your paralegal job, were you concerned that your "health" may be impaired if you continued in that job?

54 months ago

dh in Northern CA, California said: Last night, I spoke to a former coworker from the last full time job I had in OC. We hadn't chatted in 2 years. My former firm was a very busy real estate transaction firm - comercial sales and leases and also sale/purch of huge tracts of land out in the desert. It seemed as though we got a new client every week!

I was shocked to learn that all the staff are furloughed. They started out working 4 full days a week last June, but in Dec started working 5 days at 6 hours a day. They let an atty go in Dec., and a large firm in the area laid off 29 attys and 40 staff just last week!! I'm hoping that large layoffs like that are tapering off!

DLP, I'm sure this doesn't shock you. It does me. I'm so busy - looking for a job is an entire job itself and my hours at work have increased from 20-32. I don't have cable TV (so no news) and I don't read the paper. What I know about the economy is what I learn from talking with people and networking. And they all tell me, "Yeah, it's bad."

She did tell me, however, that she did get a $500 Xmas bonus. Not bad. Granted, mine was 2500 both years I was there during the good economy, but my firm previous to that gave out bonuses of $400 during that same time period.

Hi dh - you wrote in another forum on this site something to the effect of proving to financial aid that there was too much STRESS in your legal assistant jobs.

Were you concerned that your "health" might be/would be "compromised" if you continued in the legal fielad?

54 months ago

Truthfully, I just got too many bad breaks from the getgo. Beginning with my first paralegal job, where I worked for 1 year 9 months.

Due to the daily harassment of a young 26 year old attorney, a newbie, I was forced after 6 months of his harrassment (which of course took place in the office in the morning WHEN there was no one in the office except him and me) to tell him IF he did not stop, I was going to call the police.

My boss knew of it and blamed it on me. What am I doing to cause it????? I tell him I am doing my job as always as I have been for the first 14 months with a different attorney.

My workload is "independent of the young punk attorney. I know what I am doing. Have been doing it for 14 months. My boss was happy with me then

Yeah, new attorney was the problem. OK, I get fired. Fine. FIgured I had enough experience to get a better job, not $11/hour and no beneifits.

NO. The attorney/boss APPEALS my unemployment win. I WAS suppose to have 6 months to foucus on getting a new job. BUT no, I am spending the first 3 months stressed as I wait to go the APPEAL hearing, which I won. AND of course he appealed again, and it was turned down. A NIGHTMARE.

POINT, I lost 3 months of valuable time to find a job. THEN had to take the first job I was offered. BAD BREAK number 1.

I had only DOS computer skills. TRY learing WP for Windows on the job!!! It is a completely different animal than DOS, as we all know.

AND of course this "crazy" solo attorney is pressuring me to punch out work WHILE it is taking me forever to figure out the functions to operate the software. He is also the one who (1) turned me into a nervous wreck and (2) casued me to lose my confidence within a 2 months. THEN reduced my pay to $10/hour in an effort to force me to quit. Yeah, I forced him to fire me to get my unemployment benefits. 3 months I lasted in that firm.

THERE was no learning curve for me to get a handle on WP for WINDOWS.

BAD break number TWO.

54 months ago

As to Transitioning out, I tried. As I continued to work in the paralegal profession...too many more bad breaks.

Company that only hired me for the busy quarter, which OF course I have not idea of this corporate agenda.

Company that was having big PROBLEMS making payroll. OF course it happened to me, when my paycheck was jerked the FRIDAY I was suppose to sign a new lease in a new building. NO TRUST. HAd to sue them in small claims court to get my money....did not sign lease...saw financial suicide..

FROM then on, I was technically HOMELESS as I was forced to live in MOTELS for 1 year and 4 months.

TRY living like that and finding a job. OF COURSE the Motels were problomatic places with bugs, unstable people, drug dealers, prostitutes, men banging on my door at night looking for the prostitutes scaring the living daylights out of me.

YES, I had become "unstable" from all the constant trauma.

54 months ago

What do you call this? Perhaps landing in the wrong places syndrome.

SO much potential....and so many mishaps THAT were NOT my fault.

54 months ago

YES...I became one FED UP PARALEGAL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: The firm. It send me and three other paralegals. One of the paralegals had trained me when I started and was transferred to another partner.

OT (sorry): Did you get a lot of snow out there, Cindy?

Yes, we got 20 inches, then we got 10 inches. Lot of ice on roads, the side roads that do not get plowed. YES, I have cabin fever. I live in the city SO not driving as someone will move into my shoveled out spot.

Testing my sanity. HOW is the snow in Denver?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Actually, I did transition out of Paralegal land. I got a job at a national plumbing company. I changed job title to legal assistant, down played my job and played up what they were looking for, specifically strong organizational skills and follow-up skills.

The pay was $40k, 8-5pm, and the benefits were really good. HOWEVER, working with the blue-colar guys was a total different mentality and I was sexually harassed and worse threatened to be thrown up against a wall by a plumber.

So much for that transition.

54 months ago

dh in Northern CA, California said: Last night, I spoke to a former coworker from the last full time job I had in OC. We hadn't chatted in 2 years. My former firm was a very busy real estate transaction firm - comercial sales and leases and also sale/purch of huge tracts of land out in the desert. It seemed as though we got a new client every week!

Believable. Caught up in the real estate crash.

54 months ago

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas said:

Even just changing areas of law or switching over to legal secretary is impossible. As we know you can get into this little narrow niche as a paralegal and emerge with no transferable skills.

It's frustrating, no doubt.

I tried to get a paralegal job in other areas of law such as bankruptcy, probate, corporate. NO luck....for me it was impossible.

54 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Ruden literally "let go" of its St. Pete office. The St. Pete office got picked up by another law firm.

Yeah, some firms closed the satalite offices, Ruden sold theirs.

OT - How is the weather in Tampa Mary?

54 months ago

What does it take to become a Registered Agent? Do you have to be an attorney?

54 months ago

We're cold. There was snow in the panhandle. I have two electric blankets, one on the bed, and the small one I use during the day.

54 months ago

I don't know. I just saw there was snow in the Panhandle, which is the Florida line.

DSny in Pompano Beach, Florida

49 months ago

I would like to hear about everyone's ideas on paralegal jobs and what areas of law the future holds in 2011 and beyond. I know the economy has a huge impact on our future as paralegals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Go to www.abovethelaw.com. It was interesting. Law school graduates in Michigan are being told to apply for jobs in India.

Look at counsel.net. Law firm jobs are on a sour note.

If you are still in your prime (under 35) you still are marketable.

49 months ago

I posted up higher in this thread about looking for a paralegal job (I was in a really toxic law firm job). I did ultimately land a job as a paralegal in a huge corporation. I tried to transition out of legal work and had a couple of jobs for low paying entry level jobs in other fields - mortgages, home health care - but did not get a job offer. I also got ZERO response from any type of general temp agency like Kelly's.

I applied to a lot of big corporations in town and one offered me a job. It's SO MUCH BETTER than law firm work. Oh my. Who knew?

As far as future demand - I don't know. The area you work in is the area you get a job in if you are first starting out. One of the big law firms in town just laid off 20 support staff a couple of weeks ago (and anyone not an attorney is considered support staff). The reality is if there is real work then an attorney is going to do it a higher rate than a parelegal would and will bring in more money.

I am on the other side now in that we give work to law firms and I much much prefer to deal directly with the attorneys. Some have assistants and some don't, but I just cut to the chase getting answers straight from the attorney rather than first starting with the paralegal and then talking to the attorney. It costs more than just going directly to the attorney in the first place and I will call them out on having things done twice or paying to have messages relayed. I look at every bill.

DSny in Pompano Beach, Florida

49 months ago

Hi, I guess I am on the wrong forum. I happened to have 20 plus years experience working as a paralegal and very happy with it! I have been lucky enough to have worked with some of the nicest attorneys and consider some of them my biggest mentors. And yes I work hard but I was rewarded for my hard work. Good Luck to you all as I am going to find a forum which is more upbeat!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Yeah, I have 11 years experience and would not consider the attorneys I worked for over the years "nice" or "mentors" although some were okay to deal with.

JTG123 in La Mesa, California

49 months ago

I just changed the type of law I am working in. I have worked for 15 years in medical malpractice, nursing home neglect, elder abuse, wage & hour, product liability - now I am working in Construction Defect. I have heard bad things for years about construction defect - but I honestly love it. More than half of my time is spent, out of the office at various sites monitoring visual inspections or destructive testing. Of course, the cases are document intensive - but the firm has systems in place for dealing with large documents that we either produce or receive - I am very happy. This saved me from leaving the profession - I was so fed up before.

Ms. Gucci in Hollywood, Florida

49 months ago

DSNY in Pompano,
If you don't mind me asking which firm do you work for? I see we are in Broward County.

HAD IT WITH ATTORNEYS in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

45 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Yeah. That's just it about paralegal. It's a support job. Pay is capped and, besides, working for attorneys and taking their guff is crap.

THAT is the problem for me..their "guff," and that is nice way to put it. I'm a paralegal with more than 25 years experience. I've HAD IT with the attorneys and their condescending attitudes towards staff. I'm tired of being spoken to as if I'm a child. I've got to find a new line of work before I go postal. Is the post office hiring? Nothing could be worse than putting up with attorneys' crap!!!

--HAD IT WITH ATTORNEYS in South Florida

John G in La Mesa, California

45 months ago

The firm I was at, in Downtown San Diego, was downsizing. It was a very toxic place. I knew sooner or later I would be let go. While still employed there, I was lucky enough to find a better paralegal position that paid more. It is in construction defect (CD). I have 17 yers experience and everyone always said stay away from CD. They were wrong - I absolutely love it - I am out of the office about half of the time on visual inspections or invasive testing - really a nice change. I am learning a lot of new things. I know that I am very lucky - my point is hang in their and don't quit. Keep pushing and fighting - you only lose when you give up. Even in San Diego California, I see Law Firms looking for paralegals with experience willing to pay $10 to 12 per hour - opportunits! Minimum wage is $8 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah

30 months ago

Hey, just responding to the above comment,Do not sell yourself short my friend you have tons of Legal Experience,make a list of things you can do,Get a website for your paralegal experience and start to market your sevices you can do research via the interent and price your services accordingly,look up websites like virtual paralegal assistant and take it from there. Good Luck my friend.dshackelford63@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.