Have any of you moved from legal secretary to paralegal

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

mscatherineg@*****.*** in Birmingham, Alabama

67 months ago

I have a 4 yr. degree and a paralegal certificate. I have been with my firm for 8 years as a LS. I have an interview with a smaller firm for a paralegal position coming up. How hard is it to make the transition?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

It's easy. I've seen it done many times. Usually the same firm will promote the secretary to paralegal once they get a paralegal certificate. Plus the 4 year degree...that's paralegal all the way. But once you start working as a paralegal, it'll be hard to convince someone to take you back as a secretary.

In many firms the secretary gig pays more than the paralegal gig.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Litigation_Paralegal in Tampa, Florida

67 months ago

I have made the transition. I started out as a receptionist and then legal secretary. After obtaining my paralegal degree I went on to work as a paralegal. The only issue I have run into seems to be that if legal secretaries know you were an LS first they sometimes give you a hard time. I have also had some issues with employers looking at my legal secretarial background and fast typing speed and then they don't want to hire me as a paralegal they try to convince me to work as a legal secretary for them instead. Good luck with your interview!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mscatherineg@*****.*** in Birmingham, Alabama

67 months ago

Thank you for your comments. One of our paralegals told me that the reason I was not promoted at my job was because I was too efficient at the LS job. She has repeatedly advised me to look at a small firm for an entry level PL job. As far as the LS's who give a hard time to those who started out in their position -- it's unfortunate, but if they want to change positions or are jealous, they need to make the effort to better themselves.:)

Litigation_Paralegal in Tampa, Florida

67 months ago

I had a similar incident happen to me. I was working as a word processor for a large local firm while I was finishing my paralegal degree. I was told by administration that I would be considered for any paralegal jobs that became available. However, they had three different paralegal positions become available after I completed my degree and never interviewed me or considered me for any of the positions. I finally found out that it had taken them 2-1/2 years to find someone who was capable of handling the word processor position I was in and they didn't want to promote me. I had to leave and go work for another firm to finally start my career as a paralegal.

Again, I wish you the best of luck in your interview. :)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.