Is the field growing?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

average joe in Tonawanda, New York

83 months ago

I've been told that the demand for paralegals is increasing...I've also been told that competition is tight and it's difficult to find a job as a paralegal. Thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

83 months ago

No, no, no. There is no increasing demand for paralegals. It's decreasing. Same for attorneys. We have too many law schools putting out too many lawyers. Some of those lawyers end up being paralegals. I know at least 4 lawyers right now working as paralegals. That leaves even fewer jobs for actual paralegals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas said: No, no, no. There is no increasing demand for paralegals. It's decreasing. Same for attorneys. We have too many law schools putting out too many lawyers. Some of those lawyers end up being paralegals. I know at least 4 lawyers right now working as paralegals. That leaves even fewer jobs for actual paralegals.

And those are the facts. I did my tour of duty,10 years...yes, I paid a big price!!!!!!so did Dallas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

kmm in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania said: And those are the facts. I did my tour of duty,10 years...yes, I paid a big price!!!!!!so did Dallas!

And I will add, with a very low residual return.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dh in Northern CA, California

83 months ago

average joe in Tonawanda, New York said: I've been told that the demand for paralegals is increasing...I've also been told that competition is tight and it's difficult to find a job as a paralegal. Thoughts?

When I left the industry 3 years ago, there was a strong demand for both legal secs and paralgls. There was a shortage of both because, as one recruiter put it, women are getting tired of it and leaving, and there aren't enough entering the field to replace those who are retiring or changing careers. The young generation is going to college and getting degrees that will allow them to have an actual career that has aladder of success to climb. Paralegal doesn't have that. It's dead end. That's why I always considered it a JOB - Just Over Broke. Jobs are dead end; careers have options and a long-run pay off.

That being said, what's worse than the pay and lack of advancement opportunities is the hostile work environment and abusive attys. There is an industry-wide morale problem. It's an oppressive dictatorship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dh in Northern CA, California

83 months ago

average joe in Tonawanda, New York said: I've been told that the demand for paralegals is increasing...I've also been told that competition is tight and it's difficult to find a job as a paralegal. Thoughts?

oops, one more thing. Now with the economy, of course, the demand is down as it is everywhere. Don't listen to what a paralegal school tells you. There job is to make money. They look out for their interests, not yours. It's in their best interest that you enroll in their school so that they can suck tuition out of you. They're bloodsuckers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

dh in Northern CA, California said: oops, one more thing. Now with the economy, of course, the demand is down as it is everywhere. Don't listen to what a paralegal school tells you. There job is to make money. They look out for their interests, not yours. It's in their best interest that you enroll in their school so that they can suck tuition out of you. They're bloodsuckers.

Major Fact!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Here is an interesting story...So, I just graudated from Paralegal School...life is looking hopeful...I was invited to a lovely coktail party given for the married couple to be...AND, there I find myself in conversation with a woman who is a Real estate paralegal...SHE says, oh, you are not going to like it!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

While there is stess in many jobs...as a PARALEGAL...you have stress plus the constant emotional beating you are taking..sometimes very often...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

para1 in Cincinnati, Ohio

82 months ago

I saw this today on a forum I visit:

"She lost her job. 15 1/2 years with the Public Defenders office in Montgomery County and they did away with her job. They forced two attorneys to either retire or take the layoff besides 3 other paralegals getting cut."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Nepean, Ontario

69 months ago

I was enrolled in a paralegal program for two and a half months and it was almost the worst two and a half months of my life! I'm so glad I dropped out! If the way a lot of the teachers acted was any indication of how my future bosses would have treated me, I think I would have few happy days until retirement if I had continued with that career path. Plus, it was deadly boring!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

buncle19 in Carlsbad, California

69 months ago

Anon in Nepean, Ontario said: I was enrolled in a paralegal program for two and a half months and it was almost the worst two and a half months of my life!

If you didn't like 2 1/2 months of paralegal school, think what it would have been like to be enslaved to a law firm. You should ask the school to award you a certificate of merit for for your pain and suffering.

Seriously though, you did the right thing and have probably added a few years to your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.