Is it that bad?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

CeeJ in Buffalo, New York

70 months ago

I have to say, I'm a bit unnerved after doing some paralegal research. Currently I'm an English major and would eventually like to go into law. However, considering the poor job-market, I wanted to work in a law office first and figure out whether I liked it before taking out some huge loans. But so far, besides the occasional masochist, I haven't read anything positive regarding the position.

Is it really that bad?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

70 months ago

No, we're just making it up. If you want to believe it's not that bad, go ahead. You will find out on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

All one has to do is watch "The Apprentice" this season and see how all the lawyers on that show are behaving and how they are treating those who are NOT lawyers on their respective teams. Lawyers intrinsically look down on everyone else who aren't lawyers. They don't have to admit it, and most of them will deny it. Actions speak louder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

So much of a paralegal's happiness depends on the attorneys he/she works for. If you get a decent human being attorney then it's okay. If you get a jerk attorney or even if you get assigned 2 decent ones and 1 jerk - the 2 decent ones will not make up for the 1 jerk. The jerks inevitably dominate your time.

There isn't a career ladder for paralegals. You are in this permanent state of subservience. If you have a servant's heart like a butler or maid - someone who knows their place, takes what is dished without retaliation, can bite your tongue, can deflect abuse, can CYA like there's no tomorrow - paralegal is a great job. Unlike nurses who can work in situations where there is no doctor around, paralegals must work on the immediate supervision of an attorney. There's no escape.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

These lawyers, even the small time ones think they are like God.I don't see how they are better than anybody else.They don't have people management skills or diplomacy.They also have a nasty arrogance like no other sector of people. Nobody likes them, no matter who you ask.When I did real estate sales and rentals during the recession, landlords and sellers alike made it clear they don't want tenants or buyers who are "lawyers". They complain and nitpick to no end and nothing is ever good enough for them. You give a little, they want more and more. When I used to say I was a "paralegal" people used to roll their eyes at me. I should have changed my major while still in college.

70 months ago

In reference to Texas Para's post regarding butlers and maids: jobs in hospitality pay better than paralegal, and have unions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I found it hysterical that the dog hater was put to work hands on with large dogs. The same person who was nasty and berating the others was scared shietless in front of dogs. Absolutely classic. She is a power hungry control freak who clearly wants to run the team and be in charge all the time. I always wonder what kind of person hates animals, and it's not just the animals really. These same people often hate children, older people, the handicapped. She reminds me of some of my ex-bosses when I was a paralegal.

lawgirl85 in Belleville, Illinois

70 months ago

I work in a law firm in Missouri and I love it. You just have to find a group of people that you can work with an you will love it. lay out your personality and your expectations right away and they there are no surprises. for example I told my boss if he walks around the office all grouchy and pissed off yet says nothing about me doing something wrong, i will just assume he is in a bad mood, and that the lines of communication need to stay open. . things have been great...been doing this for 4 years and i love it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Missouri is not Wall Street or even downtown Brooklyn, NY! Hello....! I want to see lawgirl85 in fast paced New York City; Madison or Park, if not Wall Street. I bet these lawyers can make her cry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

70 months ago

Grant, you're too much. That was a good point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MissouriParalegalhell in Liberty, Missouri

65 months ago

I take offense to the remark that Missouri isn't Wall Street because my attorneys are purebred HELL! We have 2 paralegals for 9 attorneys, no legal secretaries, one receptionist and an office manager... I want to die on a regular basis but needed a job. I took this position as a promotion from receptionist. They figured with my English degree I could handle it... I should have said no. I mean the last paralegal pretty much ran screaming from the building... Now I want to do the same. I like the associates (if the three of them ever open any kind of business I am going with them!) but the partners are horrible. The one I work for is so messy and disorganized I can't keep up. The other is so anal retentive and evil nobody wants to go near him. And yes they need everything 15 minutes ago... I used to wonder if all law firms are like this and now I firmly believe that they are.

Give me the 411 please! in Lanham, Maryland

65 months ago

I'd like to change the discussion a bit if I may please. Is the paralegal profession competitive? I know someone who is a paralegal, but this person is new to the profession. My acquaintance works on a team with another person who seems reticent to answer questions and offer assistance unless a supervisor gets involved, and it's their moment in time to shine. Is the paralegal profession cut throat amongst other paralegals? Here's the irony, this person seems reticent to answer my friends questions, yet feels frustrated when it comes time to work late. What gives? Do you have any paralegal war stories in your war journals, or war chest?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.