NYU Paralegal Certificate - a good program? worth the $$$?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Fred C. in New York, New York

72 months ago

This program is verrrry expensive (about $14,000, vs. say $4,000 for a comparable program at some other schools). I am wondering if it is worth the money they are charging for it in terms of what you will learn and the reputation of the degree in the field, and what type of networking they will help you with.

Other than the $$$, I ask this because I had a substandard master's degree program from NYU in a different field - it was really shoddy and half-assed (e.g., they couldn't find someone to teach one of the classes, so they brought in a guy from a different class/division and he taught a class that was about 40 percent similar to what we were supposed to be learning - I figured out that he was teaching us verbatim the course he taught for the other division, because I found the syllabus for his other course online. I told my program's administrative staff that I would ask the state to remove the accreditation for their program because they were not teaching the curriculum the state had approved - only then did they made the changes I requested, and teach us what they were supposed to.)

I had a bit of deja vu when I went to the NYU paralegal program website and found obsolete, 3-year-old information on the paralegal program's schedule - I wrote them 3x to ask for the correct dates before anyone responded, and they still have up the info from 2008 on their website (I had written their webmaster too).

This experience made me wary in its resemblance to my prior experience with NYU: shoddy, half-assed program, poor administration, inability to communicate basic information, and failure to address problems brought to their attention. None of the other programs I have researched had obsolete info on their website, and each answered questionss immediately (tho' CW Post has called 4x since I asked them not to call)... To anyone who says "it's a big operation, no wonder" - I point out that they have tons of money and tons of employees so it shouldn't be a problem!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donald_ in Cliffside Park, New Jersey

70 months ago

Can't you get a cheaper paralegal certificate from CUNY?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fred C. in White Plains, New York

70 months ago

Yes, there are cheaper programs. My question was whether the NYU program would be better enough to justify the cost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

collateralestoppel in New York, New York

70 months ago

In NYC the best program is probably CUNY-City Tech. It is also much cheaper.

NYU is ABA approved. That division of NYU, however, has the reputation of being nothing more than a profit making machine for the university. It's programs are not particularly well respected.

And, actually calling it NYU is not correct. Your diploma will be from NYU-SCPS. Some schools do such divisions well (Harvard Extension, for example) and some are profit making diploma mills. I think you already have seen which way SCPS is leaning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donald_ in Ridgefield, New Jersey

70 months ago

SCPS is NYU in name only. They accept anyone with a pulse and a checkbook.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: OK - but what is "SCPS" an abbreviation for?

School of Continuing and Professional Studies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

NYU has went down in quality over the years. Currently US News & World Report ranks NYU below Wake Forest University. NYU however does have a good law and business school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Thanks!

I may have read elsewhere that better firms hire NYU paralegal grads? True or false?

At one time NYU carried weight.

Perhaps it is that the better firms do hire from NYU, like they do from the Ivies to fill paralegal positions, but I am not aware that they are hiring NYU-SCPS paralegal grads with any frequency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Why would someone who went to an Ivy work as a paralegal? They can get a much better paying job on Wall St.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Donald_ in Ridgefield, New Jersey said: Why would someone who went to an Ivy work as a paralegal? They can get a much better paying job on Wall St.

I cannot answer for them, I just know the market. A lot of them do it for a year or two before law school. It is very common in the big NYC firms. You will see ads for Ivy grads willing to commit at least one year, or maybe two to being a paralegal before heading off to law school.

Since I work just off of Wall Street, I can attest that the job market there is not the job market of 2005. But even then, the big firms were hiring, and presumably nabbing, Ivy league grads to work as paralegals.

My guess is that the big firms get to show clients that their paras are Ivy leaguers, and the grads get an "in" at these firms, from which they leave in a few years with either the hope of returning, or at the very least using the contacts made.

But that's just my guess, as I stated, I cannot answer "why" for any individual, or the group.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Astoria, New York

64 months ago

Hey all I got my certificate from BMCC a few years ago. The program was fun, but I never got a job out of it, its bascially worthless. Never go into a program that does not offer job placement. This applies to all forms of schooling. At the least they should have offered an internship because basically they just take your money. You have to work your way up to become a paralegal i've heard.
P.S. A year later googled my professor for the program and he was looking for non-paid intern paralegals. Even he doesn't want to pay a paralegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.